106 replies to this topic

#1 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

Due to all the questions, comments, and general confusion surrounding the MechLab, I bring words from the mouth of Paul:

"MechLab is the most complex system in the game. It's almost as large as Mech combat itself. That being said, trying to explain it's functionality at this point is almost impossible to make crystal clear for everyone. It all comes down to the interface and how everything is going to be handled in terms of restrictions of what you can and cannot do in MechLab. All we can truely do is ask you to wait until you get your hands on it before making any judgements as to what will break and what will not break etc.

We are MechWarriors ourselves and want the best game out there. Everyone has been putting forth ideas on how MechLab and its restrictions should operate and the design team is compiling all this feedback into a cohesive system. Yes, this kinda sounds like "shut up and wait", but to be 100% honest with you, you won't get it until you get your hands on it. At that time I will be more than happy to hear what your thoughts are. We just don't have the time to create a video or special assets to break it all down to the level of clarity that you're looking for. Open Beta approaches and you'll be able to tinker to your heart's content.

Sincerely,

Non-trolling Paul"

===

The original Q&A that dealt with this topic, and generated all those questions, can be found here, if you're new to the forums.

Edited by Hayashi, 24 April 2012 - 02:30 PM.
Linking to Q&A for those without background.

#2 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

Give Paul a "like" from me for "shut up and wait"!

#3 Jonas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationHot Springs Ar.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

Great to read and I think I have a handle on what you guys have planned the only question that I have is when the clan's come will we be able to use captured or salvaged armor, endo steel, Double heat sinks and the like on IS Mechs or will it be just weapons if and when we can get them.

Edited by Jonas, 20 April 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#4 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 20 April 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

Sincerely,

Non-trolling Paul"

It made sense until this very last sentence. :rolleyes:

But we get the message. I never discussed it anyway. :(

Edited by Adridos, 20 April 2012 - 02:24 PM.

#5 Listless Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

Nice to see devs taking the time to address concerns and actually communicate with the community. You guys are the best devs I've ever seen in all my years of gaming. No one else comes close to you level of concern, caring, and understanding of our rabid fanbase. I can't be happier with the job and effort you guys are giving us.

#6 El Loco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 395 posts
  • LocationNew Haven, CT

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

This should settle it for now... let all the threads die with dignity and get back to the really important topics, like: What colour should Paul dye his hair, or how many shots can Russ drink more than Brian...

#7 Howlin Wolf

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

I'm glad this was posted. Maybe the worry-warts will calm down a tad.

#8 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for that, looking foreward to playing in the lab :rolleyes:

#9 whiskey tango foxtrot

• Survivor
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationWith the Wolfs

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

I like this post , shut up and wait is just fine......and fitting. :rolleyes:

#10 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Due to all the questions, comments, and general confusion surrounding the MechLab, I bring words from the mouth of Paul:

"MechLab is the most complex system in the game. It's almost as large as Mech combat itself. That being said, trying to explain it's functionality at this point is almost impossible to make crystal clear for everyone. It all comes down to the interface and how everything is going to be handled in terms of restrictions of what you can and cannot do in MechLab. All we can truely do is ask you to wait until you get your hands on it before making any judgements as to what will break and what will not break etc.

We are MechWarriors ourselves and want the best game out there. Everyone has been putting forth ideas on how MechLab and its restrictions should operate and the design team is compiling all this feedback into a cohesive system. Yes, this kinda sounds like "shut up and wait", but to be 100% honest with you, you won't get it until you get your hands on it. At that time I will be more than happy to hear what your thoughts are. We just don't have the time to create a video or special assets to break it all down to the level of clarity that you're looking for. Open Beta approaches and you'll be able to tinker to your heart's content.

Sincerely,

Non-trolling Paul"

Two questions:
  • Is "truely" Canadian for "truly"?
  • Is this "Non-trolling Paul" any relation to Paul Inouye, or just some other guy who works the backend in databases or something? :rolleyes:

Edited by Solis Obscuri, 20 April 2012 - 02:31 PM.

#11 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 20 April 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

<p></p>
<p>Two questions:</p>
<ol>
<li>Is &quot;truely&quot; Canadian for &quot;truly?</li>
<li>Is this &quot;Non-trolling Paul&quot; any relation to Paul Inouye, or just some other guy who works the backend in databases or something? :rolleyes:</li>
</ol>

There's medication for that.

#12 Hawkeye 72

• 1,890 posts
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

I got the feeling mechlab would end up being "you won't get it until you use it" kind of systems. Which is absolutely fine. What should make every fan ecstatic is hearing that the mechlab is almost as large as the mech combat itself. Mechlab deserves this level of complex treatment.

#13 Qman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationCanberra. Oz

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

I am more than happy to shut up and wait as long as paul is happy to shut up and take my damn money...:rolleyes:

#14 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

Always good to hear from the Devs. It does mean alot to us when you guys take time out of your busy schedule.

It means even more that Paul had a lucid , non-trolling moment for the good of the community.

Good onya.

Cheers

#15 Hawkeye 72

• 1,890 posts
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

View PostHelmer, on 20 April 2012 - 02:35 PM, said:

It means even more that Paul had a lucid , non-trolling moment for the good of the community.

Good onya.

I think someone at the offices should take Paul's temperature. Clearly he has fallen terribly ill

#16 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the update Garth. I do hope you guys take all the speculation and whining with a grain of salt. We all know you guys are fellow Mechwarriors and only want whats best for the franchise.

#17 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

View PostHawkeye 72, on 20 April 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

I think someone at the offices should take Paul's temperature. Clearly he has fallen terribly ill

Word is he's not feeling well. All this talk about FRIENDS and FAMILY beta and Paul came to a realization.

And now he's a sad panda developer.

Cheers.

#18 Doogiavich

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 52 posts
  • LocationKooken

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

Sincerely,

Non-trolling Paul"

take ur time and do it right

#19 renegade mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

Sincerely,

Non-trolling Paul"

When is beta starting, so we can test this?

#20 syngyne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

Non-trolling Paul&quot;

wait so this was ghost written

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users