Zombie Apocalypse....

37 replies to this topic

#21 Atomvinter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationAtomic wasteland

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

Plan: Make sure you know where your towel is. All other concerns are secondary.

#22 Phelan Ward-Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 224 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

There's a lot of different "zombie" types, so the thread needs to just pick one and go.

Here's a few of the popular ones.

28days/weeks later weren't technically zombies in the traditional sense. The people were effectively infected with a "Rage virus" from that primate in the lab. They were still just human though, so they could starve and die.

The "X" of the Living Dead series (and all of those who copy it's concepts) went from never-ending slow zombies, to never-ending fast zombies. But we don't know what kept them going and able to move.
--It's possible that the virus that infected them infected so much of their body that it could absorb moisture alternatively and share it with the host.

The Walking Dead comics never implied the zombies could be stopped by pure biology, but they were subject to certain factors such as winter. An example of this is a zombie that was in some water when winter came and got stuck there when it froze.
Alternatively, the TV show has added content such as how the virus works in the brain (At the CDC), and in the newest season has even flat-out stated that the zombies have a much slower motabolism, and therefore could potentially starve but would do it over a much, much longer time frame (Woodbury's resident doctor discussing the state of Michonne's two zombie pets).

So yeah, discuss, decide and then plan. ;)

#23 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

I live in a city, the threats would be everywhere.

Although, it is to my advantage that I live near the local policestation (5 minute walk), I could potentially get weapons there.
My parents live in a town in the middle of nowhere (the zombies will never find it), I could live there till this undead plague thing blows over.

#24 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:13 AM

A general guide to surviving a zombie apocalypse should it happen on 12/21/2012

Zombie types:

Zombie Type 1: Sustained-life Rabies like Infection (28 days/weeks later, Left4Dead, Zombieland, Quarantine, Combat arms zombies)
  • Moderately intelligent (Can find food / water, can probably think to look under the bed, might be able to open an unlocked door. Standard canine/feline level predatory level intelligence likely)
  • As strong as a standard human. (bites can't penetrate thick leather / sports padding / gas masks)
  • Infection can possibly be water-born or develop to become air-born (If you're not already immune [which you won't know] use water filters / gas masks, sleep in dry deeper caves, basements, or actively-cooled rooms if possible [to slow down the chance of infection reaching you if it does become such.])
  • As fast as a normal person, though may be less coordinated.
  • Requires food / water.
  • Can bleed out, susceptible to other infectious diseases.
Zombie Type 2: Brain Parasite (Half-life, Dead Space, Dead Rising, real life insect and mice parasites)
As Zombie type 1, but much less intelligent, likely slower, and gas masks/water filtration become mandatory as precaution, infection is caused by spores or microbes passed through near-contact or body fluid contact with the host aka a zombie.

Zombie Type 3: Magical (fantasy / RPG things)
  • Probably not happening unless we're in the case of some divine wrath or something, or we end up touching a parallel universe or the like.
  • Doesn't decay, flinch to body shots, care about food / water, etc.
  • Intelligence varies
  • Humanity is probably screwed if there were a hoard of them as it would be likely that only other magic or destruction of the entire body would be necessary to stop them. And we all know how much magic there is available to humanity in the four dimensions of our universe we are aware of, unless that suddenly changed too, when we would still probably be screwed as someone would have the bright idea to blow up the planet or something.

Primary common dangers:
  • Governments deciding nuclear bombs are the answer. Be sure to get out of the blast radius.
  • Swarms. (do not run anywhere near it, and don't try driving through one in anything less secure than a tank.)
  • Rednecks (Trigger finger on a shotgun.)
  • Bandits (people who want your things)
  • Military (they won't take any chances.)
  • Zombie animals (if an animal comes close to you, kill it on the spot. Don't take chances.)
Strategy for survival: (if the infection starts in your town / is unreported)
-lock youself in with a barricade and gather your food / other supplies into an internal room, preferably on a floor other than ground level, that is not visible from the outside. Use blankets to cover windows. You will also want to gather extra clothing together as your heat will probably go out. If you have enough food for a month, bunker down with whoever is in your house, and work on using furniture to make improv melee weapons. If you have non-improvised weapons, all for the better then.-
-when your supplies run out, head out into the community, and keep a weapon raised at all times. This alone may keep you from getting shot by someone who might otherwise mistake you for a zombie. At the same time, try not to be out in the open. This makes you an easier target for bandits and for zombies.-
-Try to reach a farm in the countryside. Odds are, farming communities will be the most survivable areas and can sustain not only themselves but a good number of other families.-
-If anyone is bitten, kill them once the active zombies are put down / escaped from, and/or just leave them to fend for themselves.-

If you have time to prepare:
-Get together in a community, of any family / friends / neighbors you can find and get together within a 4 hour envelope.-
-set up a defense plan, and get supplies together. Spend no more than 8 hours on this.-
-move to a farm / farming community, or a forest with a decent cave system.-
-bunker down and be ready for anything, set up road blocks nearby if there are any roads around-

Gear to have idealy:
Armor-
Skin layer: cotton shirt and underwear
2nd layer: HAZMAT Suit/gas mask
3rd layer: baseball helmet, leather pants / jacket / gloves
4th layer: plastic sports armor

This will be hot, but no more so than proper winter gear for much of the northern hemisphere for mid-december, and will make you immune to the majority of zombie outbreaks, at least as long as you have it on.

Weapons-
Firearm: .22 semi-auto rifle. (for reasons as Cat mentioned)
Hunting: Bow and arrow (you can make your own ammo, silent.)
Melee: 5' long iron piping. (can be found at most home improvement stores, can be used as a staff, effective for splitting skulls and knocking back targets, will break ribs effectively and can be used to keep individual zombies off of you.

Other gear-
Sizeable backpack
Campfire gear (hatchet, magnesium bars, matches, portible grill.)
metal liquid containers.
Tupperwear
water filtration kit
Multi-purpose tool with can opener (swiss army knife)
Any canned food you have available.

#25 Carnivoris

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:07 AM

Ahhh, now here's something I've thought a lot about (I run a zombie website... it's kinda my thing :). I'm from Tennessee, so, I've got guns and I've got a crew of gun nuts ready to follow me into the zombie apocalypse. We have vehicles available to us that will run on used (filtered) kitchen grease. I've seen it happen. I was amazed. That being said, I've determined the safest course of action to be to head west, to the Mojave. I say that under the assumption that the desert will dry out the corpses faster and the desert will be an zombie-free zone faster than anywhere else in America.

I've thought about going south to the coast, finding a boat, and looking for an island. There's a few problems with that. First, none of us are really familiar with the road systems around the Gulf Coast or southern East Coast. We also have no idea where any uninhabited islands will be. It's also safe to assume that we won't have the only one with that idea and, by the time we get down there, any seaworthy vessels would probably have already been taken by other survivors.

The Mojave has defensible positions near water sources, namely in the form of ancient native sites. It's probable that we wouldn't be the only ones with that idea, either, so we have things to trade. One of my crew is a very wealthy man with a stock of liquor and, I'd assume, other trade-worthy recreational items. We'd also have a wealth of guns to help protect the place.

Another of the crew is an engineer that already plays with building things out of random bits of trash. He's built a permanent solar still in his back yard for NO apparent reason and has raincatchers that catch the water, filter it, and deposits it in bottles. It's actually a quite nifty little setup. He's a really paranoid kind of guy, though. He won't let me take pictures ^_^

Yet another of the crew is a hippy hydroponics farmer. He grows hydroponic vegetables and keeps his water supply rich in nutrients with tilapia (the desert is home to many tilapia farms, sourcing that shouldn't be an issue).

I have medical training. It's not much, but it's better than nothing. I'm also pretty handy with helping the engineers. I understand basic principles and can usually figure out how to construct whatever I need to construct.

I know people are all about prepping and gathering supplies and all that, but, really... the MOST important thing to do before the apocalypse is to get educated in something so that YOU are an asset. People can kill you and take things. They can't kill you and take your knowledge.

Oh, I can also brew beer and distill whisky ;)

So, we make our way west in cars that won't run out of fuel (if we do, we just stop at a fast food joint, take some cooking oil and refuel) and follow the maps I've already printed out to various native sites. We establish a perimeter around the one we find/keep. Sit back, drink beer, and wait for the whole thing to blow over.

#26 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

kinda surprised these kinds of threads died out.

#27 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

PRE-DEFENSE:
  • Establish communication backups.
  • Create and store 20 high power server computers, monitors, sound systems, etc. inside Faraday cages.
  • Assemble a Lirary containing all religous texts, sciene information, and philosophical though.
  • Create supply storage area
  • Designate rendezvous points with people
  • Find easily defensible areas
  • Stock on ammo and guns
  • Create flamethrower
  • Create parts for a laser (assemble during invasion)
  • Begin fusion research and prototyping
  • Start building something like a Mech
  • Assemble supply kits (power tools, solar chargers, water filters, pots and pans, wind power farms, 12 V batteries, electric/hybrid cars, generators, farming supplies, wood/metal, satphones, GPS(s), atomic clocks, weapons,metal melting cauldron)
  • Modify large trucks to run on electricity (it is renewable -_-)
DURING APOCALYPSE:
  • Rendezvous with all the people who are alive and can be valuable assets.
  • Raid all nearby supply areas (stores, warehouses, even dumpsters)
  • Gather advanced technology (lasers, aircraft, robots, etc.) from Georgia Tech, MIT, Huntsville, university of Berkeley, Yale, etc.
  • Move immediately to an easily defensible area.
  • Set up solar gens, computers, weapon storage, and farms.
  • Begin setting up rest of camp.
  • Establish communications with survivors.
  • Eventually form a survival network and begin the re-building of civilization.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 11 November 2013 - 07:42 AM.

#28 Zarlaren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationRoseburg

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

Ingame: A Victor 9S with a AC/20 and a PPC for crowd control. 4 MG 1ER LL Spider for mass Zombie slaughter.
Outgame: Buy a Katana you will love it's cutting power just slice your way to victory. A good one 300-3000 bucks and it keeps it's edge.

#29 Funkin Disher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPPC Apocalypse Bunker, Sydney

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

Jenner with 2x flamer, 2x medium laser and a whole lot of engine. Also can't forget JJ's and max Leg armor.
Take out the missile rack for a little sleeping/storage compartment if you have the time and inclination.

#30 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

My 1ERPPC, 2 ERLL, 3ML Awesome 8Q.

Infinite ammo, plenty of armor, nice and big for easy zombie squishing.

When the apocalypse comes I'm taking the fight to them, not the other way around. :D

#31 Racklesnack

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

Just bunker down in the space needle :D

#32 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:35 AM

Then in the theme of this thread, I'd necromancy a thread. Then use magnetically propelled nuclear ballistic ammunition in my Gauss rifle and destroy hordes of zombies in one shot.

#33 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:24 AM

first, grab a few of my swords (I have yet to get a lightsaber working properly) and a sharpening stone, then travel to a nearby army base, (about 5 miles) second stop (after just in case the base gets overrun), one of the relatively nearby castles, there are several within 30 miles, if necessary take refuge in one of the well built stone churches which we seem to have roughly 1 per mile along the main roads.

simple

the East of England has lots of army and air force bases, both British and US and plenty of stone castles still standing, and I live in one of the more rural areas so the zombie infestation should take longer to become a serious problem than for some of you

#34 Sizzles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationWaiting in line for his UrbanMech UM-PP.

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:26 PM

I plan on watching New York city burn, before going about running for my life.

Though I do hope that the government in New Jersey collapses quickly, I don't want to pay the Exit Tax when I'm running to Canadia.

#35 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:32 AM

I plan to do what I do best:

troll the zombies.

#36 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:53 AM

There's a logical fallacy in zombie apocalypse:

Do zombies bite you to eat, or do they bite to spread the disease?

Because if it's the former, then how could zombie disease spread, given than most of other human who falls prey will be eaten? And if it's the latter, then how could a zombie survive? Without food and water, a human body operating with internal water could not last more than a week.

Either way, it means a zombie outbreak in reality would blow over quite rapidly. Which means locking yourself at home for a week is a good option.

#37 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:54 AM

The zombie eats until the human is reanimated.

That, or the zombie bits humans and eats animals.

#38 StompingOnTanks

• Bad Company
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:24 PM

It's totally possible for a bitten human to escape the zombie after the attack, to succumb to the disease later.

Human bitten by zombie > desperation/adrenaline rush from pain and fair > human manages to shove zombie off > human runs away > human dies a few hours later and becomes a zombie.

Plus during the initial phase of the outbreak lots of humans will be bitten but not killed. I think you would need to be bitten by a human quite a few times before you actually died, which is why being eaten alive by zombies is such a horrible way to go - it's never instant.

Edited by StompingOnTanks, 01 October 2014 - 05:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users