[Sug] How To Add 3Rd Person Perspective

33 replies to this topic

Poll: What about you? (64 member(s) have cast votes)

I am ok with the idea of a Simulator Pit and Testing grounds / driving school

1. Yes (56 votes [87.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

2. No (8 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ragor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

Some of the first day players coming from 'classic' FPS games have problems getting into a mech simulation.

Problem:
Many new players seem to have issues getting used to the mechanic of seperated controls for movement direction and viewing direction.

Proposal:
Adding of a 3rd person camera for trail mechs which get into battles only with other trail mechs.
In battles with a bought/owned mech the camera is fixed in cockpit view.

For testing purposes any owned and customized mechs can be taken into the trail matches as well.
But then the player neither gets any c-bill reward nor he will have any repair/rearm costs and only earning half XP for running in the 'simulator'.

Conclusion:
- No split of the player base
- New players maybe find it easier to adopt the mech control mechanics

For participating in community warfare and tournaments first person view is mandatory.

Edited by Ragor, 14 November 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#2 BladeSplint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

Excellent idea, you're killing two birds with one stone here. We need a training ground for new players to learn piloting skills or test their first custom builds. If the real reason for introducing 3rd person is the learning curve, this would solve that problem.

#3 Obnoxious1

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts
  • LocationIn your base!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:47 AM

3rd person viewing is just too un-realistic. Your inside a cockpit of the mech, not outside of it remotely controlling it. Same as if you was in your car, you have to expect & get use to blind spots. Adding 3rd person view would only lower the over all experience of the game.
But I do agree there should be an ingame "Boot Camp" for new players to get use to piloting a mech. Just skip the 3rd person viewing.

Edited by Obnoxious1, 14 November 2012 - 08:48 AM.

#4 Elder Thorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

hm, when i first saw the Thread title, i expected something with a suggestion to a spottign system similair to WoT - which is ****.

This on here is different, but i am not sure if it is good.
People who would rely much on the 3rd Person perspective in their trials would want it to be there in their owned mechs, too. You would either have to implement it for everyone, which i do not want, or for no one.

Regarding those testing purposes, we should get a test / training mode anyway, there it would be ok i guess

#5 Ragor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

@Obnoxious1:
I consider the 3rd person camera as only be available in some kind of simulator pit environment. For training purposes.
IMO there is no place for it in 'real' combat.

@ElderThorn:
Valid point, I have to admit.

Edited by Ragor, 14 November 2012 - 08:52 AM.

#6 Obnoxious1

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts
  • LocationIn your base!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

View PostRagor, on 14 November 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

@Obnoxious1:
I consider the 3rd person camera as only be available in some kind of simulator pit environment. For training purposes.
IMO there is no place for it in 'real' combat.

@ElderThorn:
Valid point, I have to admit.

If just in training mode, guess it would be ok, but as Elder said, a person might get use to the idea of having the 3rd person view & will mess them up later on when they get into an actual drop.
I'm kind of hoping when BAP becomes active & (hopefully) working, will give a better perspective of what is surrounding the mech, will have to see what they come up with I reckon.

#7 flackee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

This is pretty close I think to ideal. The only change I would say is something what Russ already mentioned -- that is, to give them a choice of the match they are loading into (third or first person). Basically as a matchmaker option, hopefully clearly labelled as a 'training mode'. Of course Russ was talking about having that option globally, but I think it fits into this suggestion better as only for Trials.

#8 Zylo

• 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

I don't think 3rd person view should ever be an option.

If players are coming from FPS games that are true "first person shooters" the view from inside the mech shouldn't cause any problems as they try to learn MWO.

Some sort of manuvering guide for new players might help a bit more if they are having trouble with the controls.

3rd person view opens up some pretty big balance issues if used, and once it's allowed somewhere like a training arena it would be expected that some players will complain until it's added everywhere. A 3rd person view in any form is a really bad idea for balance and could easily push this game in a direction that will cause player loss from the core group of players this game seems to be targeting.

#9 SmithMPBT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 793 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

I missed 3rd person view for the first week or so. Then I read a post about how cockpit view is much more immersive. Then I thought about all the times in World of Tanks I've used 3rd person camera angles to gain positioning or aiming info you shouldn't really have, simply by manipulating the camera view.

#10 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

No to 3rd person. Mechwarrior has always been simulator in nature and by design. People need to learn to ask questions and to assist when your in a match instead, teach people some new things about the mechanics.

With half the people piloting trials anyhow what's the difference if you get shot up teaching someone something new?

#11 Squarefox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

We want no 3rd person perspective.

#12 Skylen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 115 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

%100 disagree
no 3rd person even if its just for training, it makes no sense. if the main game is played in 1st person then the training grounds should be played in first person as well! easying in a player thats used to other genres and specially accommodating them is just rediculous

#13 o0Marduk0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

Agreed.

#14 Dagger906

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

View PostObnoxious1, on 14 November 2012 - 08:47 AM, said:

3rd person viewing is just too un-realistic. Your inside a cockpit of the mech, not outside of it remotely controlling it. Same as if you was in your car, you have to expect & get use to blind spots. Adding 3rd person view would only lower the over all experience of the game.
But I do agree there should be an ingame "Boot Camp" for new players to get use to piloting a mech. Just skip the 3rd person viewing.

3rd person option is present in all previous Mechwarrior games. It should also be in this one as a choice. This is time-proven MW heritage, you don't simply force the fanbase to abandon it and make only the perspective you like available. If you don't like Mechwarrior heritage, go play Hawken.

When camera perspective switching is enabled, you only queue with others who also have this mode enabled. Just like in previous MW games, some matches have camera switching enabled, others are cockpit view only. You're free to choose.

#15 GazT4R

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

It's easy enough to get used to the cockpit view and the map function at the bottom map display alignment for those not used to the concept. I'd decline a third person view, get used to it and your mullered in a real game which is cockpit based.
Mechwarrior is a sim but then the wider the fanbase the better.

Edited by GazT4R, 14 November 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#16 Imagine Dragons

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationLV-223

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

The OP's idea seems sound, I just think that allowing custom mech in the trial que is a bad idea.

#17 Ragor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

View PostXenomorphZZ, on 14 November 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

The OP's idea seems sound, I just think that allowing custom mech in the trial que is a bad idea.

Even with no-income / half XP rule for custom mechs in trial matches?

#18 Imagine Dragons

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationLV-223

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

What would be the point? Its pretty much a newbie que, why allow killing machines into it?

People are more than likely to simply go into that que with a custom machine, regardless of cost and murder all the newbies...

Edited by XenomorphZZ, 14 November 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#19 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

Way too complicated. All there needs to be is a simple firing range/arena. If for some reason PGI is worried about people loafing on their servers spending too much time test driving mechs/weapons, they could issue xx amount as a default and from there charge a slight MC fee for arena time and/or make us pay for the ammo we use, just like a real shooting range. 3rd person being an option here would be fine, and probably even fun.

-Loc

#20 Ragor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

PGI is mainly worried about loosing 1st day try out players which are not used to semi-complex controls. :P

-> Therefor they want/have to add a game for them which is playable for them.

If 'we' like it or not.

Edited by Ragor, 14 November 2012 - 12:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users