The Other Side Of The Coin

65 replies to this topic

#1 zmeul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBuzau, Romania

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

or why you should not own a mech (any mech)

and my reasons to say this are:
  • power creep
  • running costs
  • patches
  • trial mechs

power creep - is the whole base on which BT is built on, you have the IS, then you have the Clans with their better tech
until the balance of new mechs and existing mechs is settled, owning a mech is just begging to be sold at a later date
limited number of mech bays is not helping either

running costs - maintaining a mech costs C-Bills, repairing it, rearming it (even if many suggest using the 75% free rearm, ending up in battle short of ammo is no fun moment)
owning a mech you'd want to upgrade it, structure, maybe DHS, why not, a XL engine ... those cost C-Bills, a lot of them
you will end up with a build that costs more to maintain than you can make in a match, and that will get you back to running trial mechs just to support your build

patches - every patch brings some nerfs and/or some buffs that may or may not affect your owned mech(s)

my case: I owned a Catapult A1, I built it with 6 streaks and it was quite good at support role and light hunter, then the patch came, made LRMs godlike
for me to keep up I switched to LRMs+Artemis, then the hotfix came .. I switched back to streaks to find out they had more spread and miss the target in large numbers (and this wasn't mentioned in the patch notes)
in the end .. I sold it

trial mechs - you want your daily MechWarrior fix? stick to playing trials
you do not have to maintain them, they do not eat ammo and there is no downside getting destroyed in the match - no repair bill
you earn money with them and when you feel comfortable the power creep and the patches won't affect your desired build, go ahead and buy your mech(s)
got bored playing same mech, well you have 4 of them and each patch there is a mech rotation
learn their characteristics, by the time you will own your own mech you'd mastered their handling and you'll know their weakness

Edited by zmeul, 10 November 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#2 BladeSplint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Selling your 'mech because they changed some weapon stats is an overreaction. Keep customizing until you find a build that suits you.

#3 zmeul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBuzau, Romania

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

View PostBladeSplint, on 10 November 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

Selling your 'mech because they changed some weapon stats is an overreaction. Keep customizing until you find a build that suits you.

so the next patch screws with that too? what's the point?
I can play the trial CPLT-C1 if I really like to play Catapult, but I don't
and in the mean time I would gathered enough C-Bills to buy any mech I really want to play

#4 Audit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

View Postzmeul, on 10 November 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

owning a mech you'd want to upgrade it, structure, maybe DHS, why not, a XL engine ... those cost C-Bills, a lot of them
you will end up with a build that costs more to maintain than you can make in a match, and that will get you back to running trial mechs just to support your build

Don't generalize like that. My Cat C1 with Artimis, and DHS is easily maintainable.

#5 Leetskeet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

View Postzmeul, on 10 November 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

I switched back to streaks to find out they had more spread
in the end .. I sold it

Why? They're still incredible and do damage to the same sections anyway. Did you really not know they were going to make streaks have a spread?

Anyway, you sold one of the best variants in the game for no reason.

Also, there's nothing they can do to my mech of choice to break it. The AWS-9M is too versatile.

#6 Dagger906

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

In most games "changing weapon stats" doesn't involving nerfing said weapons into the ground.

Unless the loser's role suits you, you won't be running cata A1, with either ssrm or lrm builds.

#7 Grumblesnort

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

The main reason to own mechs is for experience. It can be used to improve skills. Granted, the skill tree having to improve model by model is a nuisance, but once you find that model that you like the most, having advantages in movement and heat management is nice.

As to paying to re-arm and reapair your mech, if you're not earning C-bills to buy a mech, then what good are they? The re-arm/repair cost is just a way to handle "finance" in the game and get some C-bill churn, so that there is a "use" for them other than saving up to buy another mech.

I personally go about half-and-half. I'll run trials for two reasons: to accumulate C-bills faster for something that I want to buy, and to try out other models/styles of play to try to find what suits me. But I do seem to do better in game with my customized owned mechs and "experienced" pilots. So I enjoy both modes.

#8 zmeul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBuzau, Romania

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostAudit, on 10 November 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

Don't generalize like that. My Cat C1 with Artimis, and DHS is easily maintainable.

with premium account .. I bet you can

View PostLeetskeet, on 10 November 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

Why? They're still incredible and do damage to the same sections anyway. Did you really not know they were going to make streaks have a spread?
not like they did it in the patch .. no
they said streaks will not target specifically the center torso and will have spread damage over a larger area
but with the patch it became clear that the streaks actually miss the target entirely in large numbers
the damage done vs the ammo costs doesn't add up

I've done the math
with the bills spent on buying the A1, upgrading it with endo steel, DHS, Artemis, ammo and launchers plus the earnings I made in the period I owned it .. I could've bought the AS7-K

Edited by zmeul, 10 November 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#9 Captain Midnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

My goal is to collect them all.

#10 Audit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

View Postzmeul, on 10 November 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

with premium account .. I bet you can

Even with a premium account a never spend more than 1/4 of my earnings. Without I'd be spending about half. Which still falls within "easily manageable."

Edited by Audit, 10 November 2012 - 03:49 PM.

#11 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

Your problem is that you're running a Catapult A1.
It has one type of hardpoint: missile.
There are three types of missiles: LRM, SRM, SSRM.
Thus your choices on this mech are incredibly limited, it encourages "boating" and "boating" gets the biggest boost/hit from weapon balancing.

SSRMS weren't intended to be the primary weapon that they ended up as, for how little they cost in terms of Crits/Heat/Tonnage/Ammo Tonnage they were far too effective. PGI has had notice up that they were planning to tweak (nerf) the SSRMs all hitting CT for quite some time.

FOTM builds cry out to be nerfbatted, and anyone who runs a FOTM build should expect to be nerfbatted.

Edited by One Medic Army, 10 November 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#12 Phelan Ward-Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 224 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ontario, Canada

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

This is purely an opinion/POV, it should be labeled as such.

As an opinion, you're not wrong until you tell people this is what they "have to" or "should be" doing.

For some, your logic is sound, but as others have stated here they do not agree. Myself included.

#13 zmeul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBuzau, Romania

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 10 November 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

Your problem is that you're running a Catapult A1

my problem is not the A1, I sold it .. good riddance
I bought it for a support role, not LRM boat, the streak nerf made it relatively useless; you can get a support role by a huncy, and doesn't costs as much

I made another mistake .. buying a AWS-8Q
now I'm paying for it by farming bills to make a decent build, if I can
experimenting with builds in this game eats you alive

View PostThe Phigment, on 10 November 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

This is purely an opinion/POV, it should be labeled as such.
of course it's a point of view, that's why I called it "the other side of the coin"
didn't called it a guide or similar

Edited by zmeul, 10 November 2012 - 04:15 PM.

#14 Mr 144

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

BwaaaHaaaHaaHa....Another one of these 'eh?

You'll notice no Founder's Icon by my name, I don't run the 'Zero Mech', and I'm not Premium. Oh, and I primarily PUG on top of it too :) Not much more I could do to reduce my ability to make money, lol. I've done tons of tests, and I've never been able to not sustain my mechs. If you've found a way to make bad financial descisions, or found a build you just can't afford even with 75% free re-arm (difficult to do) then build a differnet mech that's more affordable...most all run in the black.

Mr 144

#15 Cant Get Right

Clone

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

Not with 4 mech slots it isn't.

#16 zmeul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBuzau, Romania

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

View PostMr 144, on 10 November 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

did I offended you with something? or you're here to cause grief and flame bait
the reason you are now following this topic? if do not agree with any of my words "said", please move on

Edited by zmeul, 10 November 2012 - 04:30 PM.

#17 SmoothCriminal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 815 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

How about customisation? finding the mech that suits you, tweaking until it's perfect, and having a blast. Yes trial mechs might suit the most casual of gamers but ultimately the reason anyone buys mechs is to make them their own...

#18 Taiji

• 1,021 posts
  • LocationUnder an unseen bridge.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

Says I shouldn't own a mech. Doesn't provide a sensible reason. Thinks trial mechs come anywhere close to the fun you can have in MWO. Sells A1 because streaks were fixed...

I really don't get it. I hope you get a nice mech you can enjoy soon.

#19 Mr 144

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

View Postzmeul, on 10 November 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

did I offended you with something? or you're here to cause grief and flame bait
the reason you are now following this topic? if do not agree with any of my words "said"

I auto follow any topic I post in..it's a setting in notification options.

No, nothing personal, but this is sooo common a QQ thread by misle boats, I find it amusing to read the same comments over and over again. People spouting thing's like 'becuase you're a founder' irks me, and I've spent a lot of time through the beta's testing all different economies. The current economy is by far the easiest to make money in since the ridiculous everyone's rich economy of 3 months ago.

Your entire OP is 'flamebait' and does not represent real world scenarios faced by the average player. The mechlab is a core feature of the game. Some would argue, that the ability to customize and personalize a mech to there playstyle is the defining feature. To encourage the use of Trial mechs instead of a reasonable owned mech is ludicrous at best

:)

Mr 144

#20 zmeul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBuzau, Romania

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

View PostMr 144, on 10 November 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

No, nothing personal, but this is sooo common a QQ thread by misle boats, I find it amusing to read the same comments over

here is your mistake
I do not QQ about msle boats, I gave it as an example of something I owned

the whole thread is not about that
as I said .. if you do not like what you read, please move on; no one is forced to agree with me

Edited by zmeul, 10 November 2012 - 04:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users