Is The Netcode Still Trash For Everyone?

v1.0.142

46 replies to this topic

#21 Elder Thorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:39 AM

View PostHovertank, on 16 November 2012 - 05:32 AM, said:

I have none of these so called 'netcode' or 'lagshield' issues. Snaking left and right is not an exploit... it's called dodging.

Maybe we should nerf dodging and slow down the lights for those that can't aim, have low spec machines and/or bad pings.

while i agree, that "snaking" is dodgin, bad hit detection doesn't have anything to do with low spec machines. I am playing on a machine, that you would call low spec, and hit detection was no concern a month ago. If i would aim for a shutdowned Jenner and hit him with an alpha strike, it would die, most of the time, esspecially with no armor left.
Now you can't be sure if you hit, so you just use Lasers and hope you find the right spot fast enough to cause damage.
Yeah, 100% problem of low spec machines and pings on a target, that is stationary for 3 or more seconds.

#22 Bitey001

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

I have none of these so called 'netcode' or 'lagshield' issues. Snaking left and right is not an exploit... it's called dodging.

Maybe we should nerf dodging and slow down the lights for those that can't aim, have low spec machines and/or bad pings.

It's not snarking I'm seeing. It's a very obvious "lag", "twitch", or "jump" of the mechs, like there is a momentary lag on the server. It's a very, very regular thing that I see. My ping is about 30 at all times. I'm far from the only person seeing this phenomenon. It's a very real thing I assure you.

Edited by Bitey001, 16 November 2012 - 05:55 AM.

#23 Name60014

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationStamford, CT

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

Should have asked everyone else on TS if my lazer pew pew shots were hitting. My client of course said yes. The server obviously said no. Even at point blank range you can't hit something that the server has decided isn't there.

But to be honest; it doesn't happen in every game. I don't know what parameters have to be set in place prior (number of lights, number of Atlases, number of custom skins, etc)

Edited by Red Leaves, 16 November 2012 - 06:06 AM.

#24 xenonblade

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

That's true in the case of ballistics, missiles, and PPCs. Maybe pulse lasers, I don't know if they're hitscan or not. Not hitscan weapons like, say, a standard laser.

An example:

Mech A has a medium laser in his torso. He lines the torso crosshair up with Mech B's leg, fires, and sees the laser hit.
Mech B has high speed and is moving past Mech A. He sees (assuming he was looking in that direction) Mech A fire into the ground, and takes no damage.

What should happen is:

Mech A lines the torso crosshair. up with Mech B's leg, fires, and sees the laser hit.
Mech B sees Mech A fire into his leg, and (assuming Mech A holds the laser on the leg for the entire beam) takes 5 damage to his leg.

#25 iminbagdad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

Just realized my mech is protected by a lag shield. I run a 4SP at 88.8 KPH and reviewing video ive been making most people are shooting behind me when im circling. Now if that was just a trial -K then it would make sense but im seeing other hunches and laser boats missing behind me. I knew jenners and commandos were protected but it seems even worse than i thought.

To anybody saying they dont have those issues you either run a jenner so you dont notice it because your the one causing it or you dont know what your looking for. 100% of the guys i play with it see it and it drives us nuts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

closest to Vancouver i could find

Edited by iminbagdad, 16 November 2012 - 07:52 AM.

#26 Treckin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

View Postiminbagdad, on 16 November 2012 - 07:46 AM, said:

Just realized my mech is protected by a lag shield. I run a 4SP at 88.8 KPH and reviewing video ive been making most people are shooting behind me when im circling. Now if that was just a trial -K then it would make sense but im seeing other hunches and laser boats missing behind me. I knew jenners and commandos were protected but it seems even worse than i thought.

To anybody saying they dont have those issues you either run a jenner so you dont notice it because your the one causing it or you dont know what your looking for. 100% of the guys i play with it see it and it drives us nuts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

closest to Vancouver i could find

You do realized there are two sides to this right? You obviously have good internet - no jitter, low ping, and 0 packetloss.

However those shooting you with lasers would ALSO have to upload their internet speed and ping tests.

Also, input lag from peripherals (mouse, KB) and screen (some screens dont report their actual input lag, only their g2g times).

There really is much more happening here then most people realize.

On "netcode" - Game developers have been able to successfully coordinate game dynamics in real-time games for more then 15 years.

This is not a technical limitation - its a client side problem exacerbated by some weak *** coding and the ultimate failure rests on PGI for choosing CryEngine over Frostbite 2.0.

Edited by Treckin, 16 November 2012 - 08:17 AM.

#27 Name60014

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationStamford, CT

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

Meh; Battlefield also had some bad netcode. A more salient point tho is that CryEngine defaults to client side auth. I don't know if CryTek provisioned for server-side auth or if PGI had to build it from the ground up but that would likely explain the heavy lag shielding.

#28 Snib

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostTreckin, on 16 November 2012 - 08:16 AM, said:

On "netcode" - Game developers have been able to successfully coordinate game dynamics in real-time games for more then 15 years.

This is not a technical limitation - its a client side problem exacerbated by some weak *** coding and the ultimate failure rests on PGI for choosing CryEngine over Frostbite 2.0.

The extreme warping we're seeing is a combination of bad client side movement extrapolation (can't even get jump jets right), fast mechs and the single server in Canada.

With players connecting from all over world with pings > 400ms at times and the server being authoritative you'll end up with a round trip time on slow connections of 1 second. The server has to synchronize that with guys on a 30ms connection. Add to that two trial Cicadas approaching each other at full speed you got a relative speed of 260 km/h = they move 72 meters in that one second

Of course silly mechanics like firing delay on ballistics don't make it easier to deal with it.

Edited by Snib, 16 November 2012 - 10:04 AM.

#29 Treckin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

Yes well it certainly is true that until PGI ponies up the cash for regional server hosting, this problem wont go away.

Client Auth is one way to cut back on client - server latency, however its also what made games like Counter Strike hack city.

#30 Name60014

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationStamford, CT

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

Even Server-side auth is hackable. Video is hackable. EVERYTHING IS HACKABLE.

#31 Atomvinter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationAtomic wasteland

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

My theory is simple, and I think the main problem is that the server is on the other side of the Atlantic.

International players play at a completely different ping than north american players.

When I play, I have 150-200ms ping from Norway. The fact that the server has to predict my movements and actions for the next 1/5 second *has* to screw up some things for both low and high ping players.

#32 PropagandaWar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

View PostRed Leaves, on 16 November 2012 - 09:27 AM, said:

Even Server-side auth is hackable. Video is hackable. EVERYTHING IS HACKABLE.

They Hacked Me!

#33 Name60014

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationStamford, CT

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostPropagandaWar, on 16 November 2012 - 09:32 AM, said:

They Hacked Me!

OH NOES!!!!!!!ONE!!!EXCLAMATION

#34 Hayashi

Snowflake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

View PostIcebound, on 15 November 2012 - 06:09 AM, said:

Not only is netcode still messed up, but I often get tremendous lag spikes while my ping remains at ~70-80 that last for either seconds or up to half a minute where I can't do anything but warp helplessly around the map. This wasn't the case for me a month ago, and I've seen other people reporting the same thing so I know it isn't just me.

Your ping's only 70 and you warp? My ping's 264-373! You guys in North America don't know how lucky you are!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

These are the stats for my connection to the local network and to the three stations available in Vancouver. Given how my minimum lag is 264 and the minimum ping here is 239, there's going to be no significant improvement until regional servers are produced - their ping is already very close to the theoretical minimum values given distance. I don't normally like to disclose my location on the globe, but in this case knowing my location is imperative to this train of argument, so it can't be helped.

If a regional server is based here we're located well enough to give acceptable ping all the way to Japan, China, Australia and the Philippines.

Or, locating a server in Perth will bring lag down to acceptable levels, and serve the Southeast Asian/Australian population pretty well, as well. That said, that won't do anything for Korean, Chinese or Japanese gamers, so if that group gets large enough you might want to locate a regional server for them in Hong Kong, if you're opting for Perth instead of Singapore as the Australasian server location. You will know the stats for how many gamers hail from where better than me.

Posted Image

Until servers are located in Europe and Australasia (optimally one in Korea/Japan as well for the K/J/China population), it is literally physically impossible to solve the lag problem. Regardless of how optimised your code is, you're not going to be able to deal with the delayed input-delayed feedback issue that distance brings.

Some game companies have gone to the extreme of cutting out the entire population outside North America entirely to avoid our latency effects bringing problems to the North American gamer subpopulation, but in doing so lose out on revenue from European and the rapidly growing Asian gamer market.

To the developers:

If you've budgetary problems acquiring regional servers, a temp fix will be to have two servers - one 'North American' and one 'Global'. In the 'North American' server, the North American players with <100 ping will play with next to no 'netcode' issue. Players with ping any greater than 100 will be shunted to the 'Global' server when play is initiated - this server is ALSO located in Vancouver in your office - it can even be a server you already possess, if you have more than one server running at the moment, but players with >100 ping will all lag together here. This will let us at least play (which region locking the servers would not - DON'T do that unless you want a couple thousand MechWarrior fans and Founders on your tail), and will also solve the concerns of the North American gamer subpopulation, until you get enough funding to acquire regional servers to drop lag for everyone else. Every time you put a regional server, players with <100 ping will be autoassigned to it, and the 'global' server will take care of the large remainder. Lastly, if players decide to drop as a group, they will all drop in the same server (well duh...) so it will default to the Global server if even one of the players has >100 ping, and the North American server if EVERYSINGLE PLAYER in the group has <100 ping.

Does this sound fair to everyone? It is, after all, an immediate fix that would help the North American based players massively at no cost, while not changing life for the rest of us at all. Well, maybe it's a minor improvement for the rest of us. Because now North American gamers can't shoot us before our reaction to their presence makes it through to the Vancouver game server, we'll actually have more of a fighting chance too!

All you need to implement the tempfix are:
  • At least two servers, or a single server capable of splitting instances between two groups. I don't know what hardware you guys have on your end.
  • A code to ping the user when 'Launch' is clicked - because our ping already shows on Tab, we know you already have this, it's just that it isn't triggered by the launch button yet.
  • Based on this ping, a second piece of code. If >100 ping, send to Global waiting queue. If <100 ping, send to North American waiting queue.
  • ?????
  • PROFIT!
Pingtest stats

This be the local version:

Posted Image

and this be the Vancouver version.

Posted Image

Some particularly offensive players like to insinuate that everyone who has bad lag has a bad connection or a bad computer, but my Alienware m14x and 49 MB/s link show the problem has nothing to do with me, and nothing to do with PGI - and everything to do with lacks of regional servers. Don't even think of complaining about us being hard to hit until you try hitting a 260 ping player when you're 260 ping with ballistics. 520 combined ping + firing delay + bullet speeds = very annoying lagshield. And given how my Gausscat can still hit stuff more than half the time, and how other 250 ping Gausscats can still leg my Jenner, it's clear the lag problem isn't insurmountable with a ridiculous dose of leading the target.

#35 Ransack

• 1,175 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

View PostIcebound, on 15 November 2012 - 06:09 AM, said:

Not only is netcode still messed up, but I often get tremendous lag spikes while my ping remains at ~70-80 that last for either seconds or up to half a minute where I can't do anything but warp helplessly around the map.

This wasn't the case for me a month ago, and I've seen other people reporting the same thing so I know it isn't just me.

I thought it was me. I guess it's good to know that I am not alone.

#36 Elder Thorn

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

View PostTreckin, on 16 November 2012 - 08:16 AM, said:

You do realized there are two sides to this right? You obviously have good internet - no jitter, low ping, and 0 packetloss.

However those shooting you with lasers would ALSO have to upload their internet speed and ping tests.

Also, input lag from peripherals (mouse, KB) and screen (some screens dont report their actual input lag, only their g2g times).

There really is much more happening here then most people realize.

think you are missing the point here.
Even people with excellent connections do not hit correctly.

Posted Image

this is my connection on primtetime at weekend here, a ping of 182 shouldn't cause that massive problems.
And even if, they would be the same with every enemy, but they are not.

Edit: and as stated before, i didn't have those problems before open beta

Edited by Elder Thorn, 16 November 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#37 Hetfeng321

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

The netcode causes lag spikes for me, aswell as teleporting mechs with no lag to warn me (including my mech).

#38 Ranzear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

Server is in Vancouver? I thought it was in Montreal.

My ping should not be 100ms+ if it's in Vancouver, just 170 miles away.

#39 Cest7

• Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:24 AM

I live close to vancouver and i still get 80+ms. If it was routed out of van or seattle i should get 15-18.

Server is def not in van or its routed through somewhere bad like denver.

The netcode will be bad until they find a network programmer... my 2c

#40 RadicalTed

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts
  • LocationAmerican Soil

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

View PostTreckin, on 15 November 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

Tin foil hats on.

Almost 100% sure no one in this thread knows what "netcode" is...

I read here symptoms of packet loss, low framerate, high latency, and the crappy optimization of the CryEngine.

Love the buzzword "netcode"

LOVE the pedantry. Problems with prediction and interpolation sure isn't a netcode thing I guess.

Anyway the snaking warping stuff. I feel like people are exploiting an incredibly low update rate or something. What I'm seeing is when a light "snakes" left and right, I get massive teleporting, where they continue to turn left due to prediction and then suddenly teleport way over to where they actually are because they actually turned right at some point, and the prediction and massive teleport happen continuously until they stop snaking around. It basically makes them near invincible to anything but locked on missiles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users