Ask The Devs 25!

186 replies to this topic

#41 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Is there any work/talk about making differences between TAG/NARC?

#42 FactorlanP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • LocationMy Wallet is closed until I see real progress.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

Is there any plan to build a real Tutorial to aid new player entrance to the game rather then the introduction of 3rd person views which will not solve the problem that you claim to be attempting to fix by adding 3rd person?

#43 buckX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationShut down on a heat vent

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

1) Is the current implementation of engine caps finalized, or is that something that is still being looked at?

I know there have been various objections made, but I haven't seen any comment on them. Personally, it does seem odd to me that the caps are variant based rather than chassis based, leading to situations like the Centurion, where the A can only mount a 260, but the D can mount a 390. My own opinion is that a more reasonable interpretation of the stock 200 and 300 engine would be that a 300 is the upper end of what a centurion can mount, not that a centurion D can mount an XL that takes up 60% of its weight limit and goes 126kph. On the other hand, it seems wrong to me that the A can't mount an engine that comes stock in another variant.

For a more concrete way in which the current implementation violates at least some canon examples, consider the 35 ton Jenner IIC (Clan) that mounts a 315XL and goes 151kph. Obviously this mech is unlikely to make it into MWO, but it does establish that the 140kph speed limit imposed by the 8.5*tonnage rule is not hard and fast within BattleTech.

The 8.5*tonnage rule causes some notable balance problems among lights. Currently, a Jenner has no problem hitting the speed limit. Because of that, the primary benefit of being smaller (speed), is gone from anything smaller than the Jenner. Having smaller hit boxes is of some benefit, but as long as matchmaking is based on size category rather than tonnage, I don't see strong arguments for using mechs like the Flea. The Jenner can go just as fast, but carry multiple times the payload and armor while doing so.

~~~~~~~

2) Any chance we'll see the behavior of holding down the trigger on the UAC5 changed to be the standard, non-jamming fire rate, or to have a toggle for this? I think it would do a lot for the usability.

~~~~~~~

3) Do you think mech efficacy by size is currently balanced, or do you think heavier mechs are, in general, more powerful? Is matchmaking by tonnage under consideration?

While there are some aspects currently buoying the lots of lighter mechs such as "lag shielding", it does seem like there is still a degree of bigger is better going on. There are currently 3 mechs in game that are 10 or more tons lighter than something else in their weight class (Commando, Cicado, and Awesome).

While none of these are awful mechs, I think it's fair to say that all of them are viewed as weaker choices than the other options in their weight classes. Jenners are broadly viewed as the best light, Cicadas aren't bad, but don't really offer much a Jenner doesn't, and most people seem to dislike that you're essentially picking a light and giving the enemy a medium. Awesomes are a nifty mech, but when stacked up against an Atlas, they are mostly outdone unless you grab the 9M and embrace the full absurdity of the fast assault. On paper, they excel at boating, but generally speaking, the Atlas does the job better. A D-DC LRM boat with 45 tubes may not bring the raw firepower of an AWS-8R, but it can take far more ammo, and pack in better backup weapons. The RS has enough Arm energy hardpoints to run into heat issues before it runs out of places to put weapons. Even among the heavies, it's no secret that there are 3 Catapults on the field for every Dragon.

Do you feel this is a systematic weight balance issue, or do you view it as more coincidental that the heavier mechs in each class are the most popular? (Or, I suppose, do you disagree with my observation entirely?) Do you guys keep stats on W:L ratios for different overall drop rates? Is there an observed tendency for the heavier side to win?

Edited by buckX, 16 November 2012 - 01:39 PM.

#44 Matte Black

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

Are there any plans to correct the Center torso to legs command? It really is backwards, I never in all my mechwarrior years wanted to rip my reticle off target to see where my legs were going.
I have used the center legs to torso command alot in previous games though.

Just adding this command would be nice, you do not really need to remove the other one. :)

#45 ThePieMaker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 155 posts
  • LocationNew Canton, Griffin Base

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Any plans to give the Gauss Rifle a minimum range like the PPC? I mean both do have a minimum range in canon. Even if it is only 60 meters...

#46 Glowhollow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

After i didn't recieve any answer - here the same questions again.

1. Today - the Personal Computer have a different role - to that, what whe haved 10 years ago. We got a potent system - capable - handling up to 3 Monitors - including 4+ Cores. Is it planned - to use - a solution - to drag (for example) - the strategic Map on the second screen ? (while all Monitors are windowed ?)

2. Exclusive for Mercs i would like to know, if it is planned to have a "Merc-Hangar" - where Modules/Weapon/Ammo - can shared by the members of the Merc-Corporation ?

- if the answer is yes - "Would be there a right-management, wich possible can misused to steal some items ?" (like in eve online ?)

- if the answer is no - "Is there otherwise planned to have loot-rule for the dropped salvage" - for example, we salvage a ac/20 - that this ac/20 is now available for the player/merc ?

(like it was playable for Mercs - in Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries)

3. Cammo-Skins - will there be a solution to have "unique" Colorization of the Cammo - for the Mercs ?
(and available for all Mercs-Members ?)

Edited by Glowhollow, 16 November 2012 - 01:01 PM.

#47 HeadNotFound

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Knockdowns.
-Why were they taken out?
-What is being changed about them?
-When will we see them re-implemented?

I know we all have a general concept of the who/where/what/when/why with this question, but I haven't read anything solid from the Devs with regards to it.

#48 Comassion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

1. Currently, Ferro-Fibrous armor seems like a lackluster upgrade. There are absolutely no cases where anyone should choose unless they already have Endo-Steel. Do you have any plans to alter it's effects (for example, allowing you to pack on more armor) to make it a more attractive and unique option over Endo-Steel?

2. Right now, you've implemented two types of 'customization caps' on 'mechs - weapons and speed. Weapons you've done with limited hardpoints, and speed you've accomplished with the engine size limits by variants. Why not do the same thing with armor? That way variants that had little armor in cannon won't be able to max out as much as higher-armor variants, who may suffer from things like the engine size limits, and this allows you one more avenue for making variants unique.

#49 Tyrzun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

1. Are you aware that the costs of repair on some ballistics weapons and missles are much higher than an equal damage laser counter party and that does not include the "repair" cost of all that ammo or all the space it eats up? Many mechs go into the negative after repaires as a result.

2. Do you have plans to balance repair costs out to where people aren't punished for playing with ballistic weapons or missles when it comes to repairs?

#50 Habukkuk

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 9 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Have you guys thought about a Solaris VII game mode where mechs of the same class can battle it out free for all style in arenas for glory, fame, and of course cbills?

#51 Skylen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 115 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Do you get fans of MWO that stop by your studio? Do you guys do little tours?

#52 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

I'll just Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V from previous thread:
Once again: any chance for game servers outside America? Any ETA maybe? Would love to have two-digit ping :)
How about test server available for everyone (not just you) so there would be larger 'sample size' when testing new patch, like something similar to what WoT guys do?
Do you have plans for hotkeys assigned to some basic commands/responses etc. ("Enemy spotted", "Attack my target", "Fall back", "Roger", "Negative" and something like that)?
Are we going to have destructable environment?

And I'll add this:
Any plans to change/fix zoom module to make it actually usefull (like 1.5 - 2 x current zoom level instead flat 4x)?
Can we expect some changes to convergence system? Like manual setting or makeing it fix on distance to current target.
Do you like current XP and money reward system and is it final or are you going to change it somehow?

Edited by Krzysztof z Bagien, 16 November 2012 - 02:20 PM.

#53 Qarnage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 105 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

Is an overhaul for the cockpit HUD interface planned in the UI overhaul due on Jan/Feb next year?

I feel that it could benefit both on aesthetic (alignment, integration with the physical cockpit) and clarity (position, shape, usefulness of the elements — heat sink status, auto detect-no signal, cooldown for weapon group). I was thinking about the HUD of MechWarrior: Living Legends.

#54 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

Do you think you'll ever get the legal issues sorted out with Microsoft and IGP, and other concerned parties, to let YouTube Partners monetize videos of MWO, beyond Fair Use tutorials? Minecraft enjoys a tremendous amount of free advertising because of their free usage policy towards screenshots and videos of the game, I think MWO could enjoy the same.

#55 Vechs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

Do you have any plans for a referral system? Maybe one similar to the one League of Legends uses? If so, how would you gauge valid referrals? Maybe the referred player making an account and playing at least 20 matches?

#56 Diewell

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 85 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

Hey Garth!

My question is: What steps is Pgi Taking to combat or nullify hacks and/or cheats like this one i found online to show you guys what your dealing with?

[REDACTED]

My idea: file checker or something like that to make sure there is no foreign files.

Edited by RAM, 16 November 2012 - 06:06 PM.
Hacks/Cheats

#57 Click

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

1. Just how well optimised do you consider the game to be currently, performance-wise?

Seeing as MWO is based on CryEngine 3, performance on Crysis 2 should be similar and yet older machines that ran that game steadily at medium settings seem to have a god-aweful time running MWO even at lowest detail.

2. Will people with older machines still see the game run smoother as its development progresses?

3. Why are you only supporting ATI cards 5000 series or above while supporting Nvidia cards that date back two generations further?

Its a lot easier for players to repost important questions than it is for you to ignore them and answer useless ones instead.

#58 bigdaddyal1975

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

I would just like an official answer to something I have seen in the forums. There are some people saying that the DHS in the engines are actually set to double the normal heatsink even though we were told they were 1.4. One person who claimed to have proved this mathematically also said that the heat management skills in the skill tree were non functional. Is there any truth to either of these?

#59 Minos Murdoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 252 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

Q1. Will you be taking the communities reaction to 3rd Person view into consideration? with an overwhelming 90% not wanting it introduced. my personal opinion is you will lose a large % of your players if brought in. It is meant to be mech simulator and not an action game after all.

Q2. Can you tell us how the command console will work? Is it a second set of controls that take over if cockpit is blown out or will you be doing something else with it.

Q3. Can you let us know when collisions will be brought back in?

Q4. Are you looking at adding a training grounds for new players to LEARN how to pilot/aim-target/fire (getting rid of need of 3rd person) and letting players test mech builds outside of a normal combat match.

Q5. How will Clan Vs IS matches be played will it be 4Clans to 8IS, 8v8 or something else?

#60 warp103

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 342 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationdaytona Beach fl

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Are you joke a .1 bump to the LRM?
Have to not see the LRM thread or all the videos showing that it at .7 damage .?

Are t your number are off ?

or are you just about to remove LRM from the game?

http://www.falconcom...Vid/LRMtest.wmv

http://mwomercs.com/...-thread-merged/ there are close to 700 post and you come back with a .1. Way to listen to the forums

Edited by warp103, 16 November 2012 - 03:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users