#1 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

Hi Mechwarriors,

So Russ let slip in an interview with No Guts No Galaxy we are looking into a 3rd person view option. It seems a lot of people are unhappy with this, so we’d like to explain our thought process here.

For reference, we also strongly recommend listening to Russ’s comments, as he provides a clear case for our approach.

Over the course of development, we’ve had a huge number of requests for a 3rd person camera option. At this early stage, it’s something we feel that warrants further analysis, understanding and exploration.

MechWarrior Online is, and will always be, a game focused on 1st person combat in Mechs. That experience is sacrosanct to the classic Mechwarrior experience.

If we find that there is a relevant role for an optional 3rd person camera mode, then then would simply be an additional option that, if you don’t want it, won’t affect you. Bryan will be writing a detailed Command Chair post on this (he's currently at 40,000 feet, and not by Jump Jetting) with more details. For now, be assured we're acutely aware of past problems with 3rd person view, and will make sure those same issues are thoroughly addressed. We wouldn’t settle for anything less.

Cheers,
The MechWarrior Online Team

#2 Card

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationLenoir, NC

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

Well, that was so vague that it said absolutely nothing, will accomplish nothing, and makes no one whatsoever feel any better about it at all.

Was that the point?

#3 Mr Killdozer

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 62 posts
  • LocationPacific Coast

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Second!
Sorry. Had to do it. Good to hear. Hopefully everyone will calm down a bit.

Edited by Mr Killdozer, 16 November 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#4 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I look forward to the info.

#5 Boatswain Higgs

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 73 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 16 November 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

If we find that there is a relevant role for an optional 3rd person camera mode, then then would simply be an additional option that, if you don’t want it, won’t affect you.

I can't think of any way that I wouldn't be affected by having an opponent enjoying the advantages of 3rd person view while I restricted myself to 1st person. I don't want it, but offering it will affect me.

#6 William McNab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

Again, nice to hear that the devs are listening. I will wait for the next response from Russ before ranting and raving and complaining and ******** ... and then playing for another 200 hours.

Really enjoy the game. Waiting for the Community Warfare Roll.

Thanks.

#7 Minos Murdoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 252 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for the post, but still doesn't say anything to us really.
I think the problem with optional 3rd person view has been commented plenty of times where 3rd person will have a advantage over 1st.

#8 nitra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

i fail to see how less than 9% can be considered huge...

#9 Armageddon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Az

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

I would absolutely & completely THRILLED to get a 3rd person view in MWO!!! Wow! I am so excited this is a possibility now! Lacking a 3rd person view was one of my biggest complaints in MWO.

#10 AirVengeance

• Pip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

View PostHarald Blackwell, on 16 November 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

but offering it will affect me.

It will affect everyone that chooses not to cheat at a sim game. 3rd person get's activated I will drop this game.

#11 Card

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationLenoir, NC

What did you guys read in there that made you feel better?

So the company line is that Russ let the 3rd-person thing slip by accident. I don't think that's true. I think it was his whole purpose behind being on the podcast. In fact, he spends a good 5 minutes trying to bring up the subject but the hosts keep getting distracted, and Russ keeps having to lead them back to it.

Oh, and 3rd-person will be optional? Wow! That's so awesome!
You needed a post to say that?
Yeah, I don't think anyone thought it would be mandatory, Garth.

This is great. PGI thinks our concerns about 3rd-person are that they're going to make us use it. :)

#12 Solidussnake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 319 posts
  • LocationSC

I look forward to 3rd person view. Would give me a different way to look at my mech.

#13 FrupertApricot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 669 posts

Wow this is weak. Way to completely ignore the lions share of the paying playerbase to grab for cheap pluralism.

Offering it WILL affect those who refuse to use it as it confers a distinct advantage. Wait til you have ******* Highlanders with 3rd person on using small hill crests to hop n shoot gauss til the game ends. No ******* sale.

Edited by FrupertApricot, 16 November 2012 - 03:15 PM.

#14 Shaddock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 174 posts
  • LocationIf I told you it would be harder to shoot you

You asked for our opinion, we gave it to you, now your trying to convince us why 91% of us are wrong...you do realize your forum servers are about to melt right?

#15 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

View PostGarth Erlam, on 16 November 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

Over the course of development, we’ve had a huge number of requests for a 3rd person camera option. At this early stage,

How huge is "huge"?

3,249 over the course of 4 days huge?

Cuz - I hope you're aware that is the number of votes AGAINST inclusion of 3rd person view in MWO.

There have also been a number of alternatives presented. Any input of what you think of those? Top-down paperdoll, for example.

Notice the miniscule number of likes for your revelation, Garth? It's because you're not telling us anything. The 3,249 have told you something. Let's have some give and take here.

Edit: Poll link, just in case you missed it:
http://mwomercs.com/...son-its-coming/

Edited by Kaijin, 18 November 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#16 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Ooh corporate doubles speak, making noise and saying nothing. Personally I preferred no answer to being patronized. :)

#17 Fr33lanc3r

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationBFE

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

View PostArmageddon, on 16 November 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

I would absolutely & completely THRILLED to get a 3rd person view in MWO!!! Wow! I am so excited this is a possibility now! Lacking a 3rd person view was one of my biggest complaints in MWO.

Out of curiosity, why do you like 3rd person perspective, I know that some people do, I just am not sure why exactly.

#18 Gimpy Warpig

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationKaoS Legion Guns n Ammo Store near you

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

View Postnitra, on 16 November 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

i fail to see how less than 9% can be considered huge...

Unless you're in their PR department, I fail to see how you know how many emails/feedback forms they've received. This forum does not the MW fanbase equal. not even close.

#19 thescreensavers

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Keep First Person view and forget Third Person View.

Rear View Camera with a screen that pops up in the cockpit is a much better Option imo

#20 LumberJack

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 2 posts

To hell with 3rd-person view. When do we get a rear view and rear-mounted guns?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users