Should Target Overlay Be Toggle Instead Of Hold Down?

18 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Show Target Overlay be toggle? (97 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Show Target Overlay be toggle instead of hold to use?

1. Yes. (53 votes [54.64%])

Percentage of vote: 54.64%

2. No. (11 votes [11.34%])

Percentage of vote: 11.34%

3. Give the option to choose between like crouching in Halo. (33 votes [34.02%])

Percentage of vote: 34.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JustAStick

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

When ever I want to distinguish my teammates from pubbers (random players), I have to either put a weight on my lctrl to keep it down or I have to get over it and just push it down every time I want to see who is who. it seems to me though that a much simpler solution would be to make it so the show target overlay button was toggle instead of hold to use.

Edited by JustAStick, 18 November 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#2 Jadel Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

The current setup isnt great. Adding it as a toggle would make it a little better but it needs some work.

Differentiate squad mates by making their icons green instead of blue on the mini map.

Allow squad mate only nameplates toggle.

#3 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:23 AM

All enemy mechs have a red triangle above them, even if you dont have them directly targeted. An empty triangle means that no teammate is targeting that mech and a filled triangle means thhat someone else on your team is targeting that mech.

The triangles however only apear above mechs which are targetable (either your own LOS or soemone else on your team has LOS), it wont apear if you only see part of the mech because targeting only works if enough of the torso is visible.

#4 Deadoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:42 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 19 November 2012 - 02:23 AM, said:

All enemy mechs have a red triangle above them, even if you dont have them directly targeted. An empty triangle means that no teammate is targeting that mech and a filled triangle means thhat someone else on your team is targeting that mech.

The triangles however only apear above mechs which are targetable (either your own LOS or soemone else on your team has LOS), it wont apear if you only see part of the mech because targeting only works if enough of the torso is visible.

He is referring to the Q key quick info or as it is referred to in menu "show target overlay" I believe.

#5 RedHairDave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

i had to rebind it to the outside of my keyboard, and leave a battery on it. always on would suit me just fine.

#6 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

If they provided a Toggle, perhaps the "Data" shown could get stale if you or another Team mate did not get a visual, and thus a "data" update after 1 minute or so.

Example: You have your Toggle "On". Your buddy Jimmy just went out of sight. he was 99% after you "tickled" his Mech in the base square at Launch. As Jimmy moves about, his "data" still shows 99% until you or someone else sees, and reticules, him again.

Unless you or someone updates that "data" then, just when you think Jimmy is still doing OK, he gets 0%'d and is dead, but from your (toggle always On) perspective Jimmy's supposed 99% health status was bogus and obviously outdated.

Perhaps you/or someone else, should have helped Jimmy out some.. ;)

Edited by MaddMaxx, 19 November 2012 - 08:37 AM.

#7 Angus McBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 611 posts
  • LocationA little to your left.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

View PostJadel Blade, on 19 November 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

Differentiate squad mates by making their icons green instead of blue on the mini map.

This will not work. Red/Green colorblind people would have issues. This is the reason for red/blue being used.

#8 Deadoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 19 November 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

If they provided a Toggle, perhaps the "Data" shown could get stale if you or another Team mate did not get a visual, and thus a "data" update after 1 minute or so.

Example: You have your Toggle "On". Your buddy Jimmy just went out of sight. he was 99% after you "tickled" his Mech in the base square at Launch. As Jimmy moves about, his "data" still shows 99% until you or someone else sees, and reticules, him again.

Unless you or someone updates that "data" then, just when you think Jimmy is still doing OK, he gets 0%'d and is dead, but from your (toggle always On) perspective Jimmy's supposed 99% health status was bogus and obviously outdated.

Perhaps you/or someone else, should have helped Jimmy out some.. :huh:

Couldn't his mech be the one sending out updates, not require an outside observer?

#9 Gabrion

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

TOGGLE PLEASE! FOR THE LOVE OF THE VERSE!!! YES!!!

#10 MentalPatient

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

I prefer it remains hold, as the text is too invasive and in the way, for me I can tell enemies from friendlies, most of the time I use it to check friendly mech types, distances, or names, that's all.

#11 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

i think we should give the player the option to switch between toggle and hold down. i don't see this breaking the game so why not give players who want it the option.

#12 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

no...i disagree, i think this would make it too easy to keep track of your team. in past games we could only target 1 friendly and see his status.

#13 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 03 April 2013 - 11:27 PM, said:

no...i disagree, i think this would make it too easy to keep track of your team. in past games we could only target 1 friendly and see his status.

currently players can already just hold down the button. it would be trivial to map this to backspace and then just tape the key down or any number of other methods. why not just make it legitimate.

unless you intend to add some sort of cooldown or rework to the system your point is moot.

@OP: mentioning halo on these forums is not likely to gain you respect and is likely to redirect the conversation away from the real point. i felt kind of dirty picking the last option mostly because of the reference.

#14 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

I agree.
Also tag should be a toggle.
And lock arms to torso should be a toggle.

#15 Theevenger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

View PostJustAStick, on 18 November 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

When ever I want to distinguish my teammates from pubbers (random players), I have to either put a weight on my lctrl to keep it down or I have to get over it and just push it down every time I want to see who is who. it seems to me though that a much simpler solution would be to make it so the show target overlay button was toggle instead of hold to use.

Just bind it to Q.

#16 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 18 February 2015 - 01:08 PM

Something like this?

http://mwomercs.com/...a-toggle-for-q/

#17 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:28 PM

I am happy with Overlay being a momentary hold, but this game should absolutely give the player the choice.

http://mwomercs.com/...ntary-keybinds/

Edited by Hornsby, 12 April 2015 - 09:30 PM.

#18 boxbox

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 61 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:04 PM

Definitely should be toggle option. Also, would it kill PGI to make it a little more readable; not overlapped on top of each other so you can only see the first one? Different colors (on the mini map as well) for Alpha, Bravo and Charlie Lances And why not PTT button for Team + Separate PTT button for your lance. A man can dream can't he?!!

#19 Ultra-Laser

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:02 PM

I would rate the current overlay/HUD as "good enough", there are a bunch of little things I'd like to tweak of course, but that stuff is better off being addressed by giving more control to individual players in how their own overlay/HUD/minimap is displayed.

If anyone else here is familiar with how World of Tanks lets you mess around with how allied/enemy information in displayed its a great example of the kind of fine-tuning I'd like MWO to allow. In fact its one of the few things I think WoT does in a way that's outright better than how MWO does it. Especially being able to chose what combination of name/tank/class/health is displayed and the ability to have separate sets of those same combinations overlaid depending on those players being on your team or the enemies.

Different mouse sensitivities for whether or not you're zoomed in or not would also be awesome, but that's a little beyond the scope of this particular topic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users