#21 o0Marduk0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

View PostLonestar1771, on 19 November 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

Waste. Of. Time. Seriously why even do the Q&As if you aren't even going to answer questions that matter?

What question matters?

#22 Lonestar1771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

View Postshintakie, on 19 November 2012 - 09:47 PM, said:

Not a whole lot of meat here, but I can dig it.

The acknowledgement that communication between the devs and the players is somewhat lackin was quite refreshin as its been a point of contention for a while. I also liked that they acknowledged the weird bug with leg damage and said they were workin on a fix.

I think he was being snarky since the question was about adding 3rd person view where as he said they are "considering it"

#23 shintakie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

View PostLonestar1771, on 19 November 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

I think he was being snarky since the question was about adding 3rd person view where as he said they are "considering it"

Eh, probably, but I like to hold on to hope.

#24 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

How does gameplay work?

MechWarrior Online puts MechWarriors into a first-person, team-based, tactical battlefield where the victors swim in the spoils of war and are rewarded with the almighty C-Bill (in-game currency).

AND

MechWarrior Online is being designed to put you the player in the seat of the pilot. It is 100% first person view only. Being the pilot is one of our key design pillars and 3rd person breaks that pillar on multiple levels as seen in many of the other 3rd Person discussions.

We will investigate 3rd person in the far off distance for special game settings, but this is very far off in the distance.

While we appreciate those who enjoy 3rd person, MWO will be 1st person out of the gate and in the near future.

-Paul
Lead Designer

cant get much more simple than this.

Edited by Rejarial Galatan, 19 November 2012 - 11:08 PM.

#25 Hoshi Toranaga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts
  • LocationAround

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

Again no love for PPCs...

#26 Lon3Wo1f

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:29 AM

View PostTerry Ward, on 20 November 2012 - 12:41 AM, said:

Again no love for PPCs...

I love PPCs, the standard ones, especially when people try to use them under 20m on me. Oh you meant a different kind of love? Sorry :unsure:

#27 G4M3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:26 AM

Happy to hear what he had to say about LRMs. LRMs are fine as they are. Happy today. Not crusty.

Edited by G4M3R, 20 November 2012 - 04:26 AM.

#28 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:37 AM

View PostLon3Wo1f, on 19 November 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

Eh.. I've seen a lot of noncommittal answers lately and it's frustrating me no end. You might have no definitive timeframe for when the fix for light 'Mechs taking damage from 1 inch drops will be but surely you have an ETA. One of the other recent Q&As had nearly all "coming soon" type answers. Would it kill you to offer rough estimates such as late December / early January? There are some issues currently that make it less enjoyable but tolerable while playing and others frustrate me so much I'm not actively playing. The latter is the amount of deaths I've suffered while still having considerable armour.

If they give a definiitive date and the dates comes and goes and the problem isn't fixed, everyone runs for the torches and pitchforks.

#29 Lon3Wo1f

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:24 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 20 November 2012 - 04:37 AM, said:

If they give a definiitive date and the dates comes and goes and the problem isn't fixed, everyone runs for the torches and pitchforks.

I'm well aware of that but estimates are just that, estimates. Anyone flipping out over an estimate of, for example, late December / early January can be ignored. It really frustrates me that one patch brought in both the 1 inch drop damage and the magic armour deaths but they can't pinpoint it enough to even give an ETA. I really enjoy the game but as I've said a lot lately I can't handle the random deaths and crippling damage from tiny falls. I don't often play light but I do enough that it frustrates and the armour damage affects all sizes up to my Cats and Atlas.

#30 Billygoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:38 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 19 November 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

Q: Lately, we've been quite surprised by some decisions (DHS and 3rd Person to name just a few), so do you feel that communication is still good ? [Ezrekiel]
A: Apparently not, as we said we're looking at whether or not 3rd person would work, and people took that to mean not only had we already decided, but that we're actively adding it now. [Garth]

So, being generous and assuming that you're sincere here and that Russ was just being overly enthusiastic on NGNG or something..

Are you guys one of those studios who think that PR people are a waste of money and that the engineers and designers are all you need? I used to kind of think like that and then I started following this game.

If you haven't got at least one dedicated, experienced PR guy/gal at PGI, (not IGP) please hire one today and give them the authority to muzzle your technical and design people before they go off half-cocked and start another forum riot. Seriously. There is a serious foot-in-mouth disease epidemic at PGI lately and that may be the only cure.

If you already have a PR person, please stop making their job impossible.

#31 Sulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

Yeah LRMs are exactly where they were supposed to be. Obviously keep an eye on it as things go. Though as things my LRM 10 on my atlas works great for softening targets at long range and my catapult with 2 LRM 15s is still able to make 1-2 kills a game easy. All is well.

#32 shintakie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

View PostLon3Wo1f, on 20 November 2012 - 05:24 AM, said:

I'm well aware of that but estimates are just that, estimates. Anyone flipping out over an estimate of, for example, late December / early January can be ignored. It really frustrates me that one patch brought in both the 1 inch drop damage and the magic armour deaths but they can't pinpoint it enough to even give an ETA. I really enjoy the game but as I've said a lot lately I can't handle the random deaths and crippling damage from tiny falls. I don't often play light but I do enough that it frustrates and the armour damage affects all sizes up to my Cats and Atlas.

Dont be daft man. Technical bugs are somethin that are really hard to give exact dates for. Hell, they're hard to give estimates for because you never know how hard it is to fix. Maybe its just a single number that got tweaked accidentally and it takes all of 3 seconds to find and fix (never happens). More likely its an incredibly complex series of bugs and issues that cropped up from a completely unrelated change to the games code that could take weeks to even find, let alone fix.

#33 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 19 November 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

How does gameplay work?

MechWarrior Online puts MechWarriors into a first-person, team-based, tactical battlefield where the victors swim in the spoils of war and are rewarded with the almighty C-Bill (in-game currency).

AND

MechWarrior Online is being designed to put you the player in the seat of the pilot. It is 100% first person view only. Being the pilot is one of our key design pillars and 3rd person breaks that pillar on multiple levels as seen in many of the other 3rd Person discussions.

We will investigate 3rd person in the far off distance for special game settings, but this is very far off in the distance.

While we appreciate those who enjoy 3rd person, MWO will be 1st person out of the gate and in the near future.

-Paul
Lead Designer

cant get much more simple than this.

I can't get much more simple than this. See what I did here?

#34 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

I don't know why you're apologizing Garth, this one is at least above average in terms of information content. Thank you for the answers!
Also, when the dev's make their pilgrimage to LA to visit the Cup, can I buy you all a round of beers?

Edited by Aym, 20 November 2012 - 10:02 AM.

#35 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

Q: Would you be up for some 1 on 1 <interview chat format / email > With the 480+ members of the FWLM? Let me know and ill start gathering a questioniar for ya:) [GenDread] A: Shoot me a PM. [Garth]

Posted Image

#36 Capp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 306 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

View PostLon3Wo1f, on 19 November 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

Eh.. I've seen a lot of noncommittal answers lately and it's frustrating me no end. You might have no definitive timeframe for when the fix for light 'Mechs taking damage from 1 inch drops will be but surely you have an ETA. One of the other recent Q&As had nearly all "coming soon" type answers. Would it kill you to offer rough estimates such as late December / early January? There are some issues currently that make it less enjoyable but tolerable while playing and others frustrate me so much I'm not actively playing. The latter is the amount of deaths I've suffered while still having considerable armour.

Let me give an example. You lost your keys, you have no idea where or when you lost them but you just noticed they are gone.

Can you give an ETA for when you will find your keys?

No. You have no idea where they are so you can't even guess how long it will take to find them.

Likewise, the Devs need to FIND where in the code the bug is before they can fix it. They can't give an ETA because they have no idea when they'll even find the cause, much less how bad it is and how long to fix it once they've found it. Once they do find it and identify it, then an ETA may be possible. It seems we are not there yet.

#37 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

Here you go guys, sorry it's not as much as usual but I'm preparing for that whole 'kill me, Paul, Russ, and Bryan' event we're doing :angry:

So anyway, enjoy!

Q: Lately, we've been quite surprised by some decisions (DHS and 3rd Person to name just a few), so do you feel that communication is still good ? [Ezrekiel]
A: Apparently not, as we said we're looking at whether or not 3rd person would work, and people took that to mean not only had we already decided, but that we're actively adding it now. [Garth]

After listening to Russ Bullock's brief soliloquy tonight at NGNG, this might not be accurate anymore with regards to 3rd person. Russ basically made the case that it is a necessary business decision to have 3rd person to expand the potential customer base.

When the CEO is making the case for it along these lines, I would say the decision has been made. :-)

To be honest I feel that I can adapt to 3rd person or its absence equally well. I am more concerned with CW.

Edited by Kyrie, 20 November 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#38 Calmon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

Q: How do you feel you can balance working on the game and getting enough good feedback as to make these choices considering that you have recently broken the rules of engagement by changing multiple things about LRM's at the same time and we are now stripping AMS out of all of our mechs cuz the LRM's are useless in game? [Rixsaw]
A: That hostage jumped in the way! (In seriousness, for every person saying LRM's are terrible, there is someone saying they're OP, so you'll forgive me if I don't immediately jump to your side here.) [Garth]

Garth, since Nov20th patch the LRM are back fine. It seems the sSRM fix, fixed LRM as well.

I just wonder what game are you playing? I mean we get completely underpowered LRMs from nov8th-nov20th, people get grazy with it, you write comments like above which was completely based on a version of the game we didn't have (at least I hope so, otherwise the problem is even worse)!

Really strange ongoing on your side. You don't listen to community, are not aware what happen on your productive servers and give us feeling "You're dump, LRM are fine"...

Edited by Calmon, 21 November 2012 - 12:39 AM.

#39 Gleby4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 272 posts
  • LocationRussia, Saint Petersburg

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

LRM, SRM... they will be changed many times... but the 3d person view, it is different thing. After it it this game will not be mechwarrior, it will be WoR (World of Robots)

#40 Kotrin

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 65 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:25 AM

View PostG4M3R, on 20 November 2012 - 04:26 AM, said:

Happy to hear what he had to say about LRMs. LRMs are fine as they are. Happy today. Not crusty.

Yeah, sure, LRM are fine, that's probably the reason no one ever fields them any more. The only ones we see are attached to trial 'Mechs people can't tweak...

Add this to the DHS debacle killing any build attempt based on ER weapons...

I can't wait for the weapon PGI will address next. :)

Edited by Kotrin, 21 November 2012 - 05:26 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users