44 replies to this topic

#1 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

Here you go guys, sorry it's not as much as usual but I'm preparing for that whole 'kill me, Paul, Russ, and Bryan' event we're doing ;)

So anyway, enjoy!

Q: Will Collisions ever include crunching, grinding, sparks flying, and screen shake? [ManDaisy]
A: We'd love to do things like this, and we've talked about it in depth in studio. I know we'll add more to collisions once they're back, but I'm not sure what exactly will make it. I think screen-shake and sparks are pretty likely though. [Garth]

Q: How does it feel to know that when your old and you look back at your life, your greatest achievement will have been working on this game? [Mason West]
A: Feels like victory. [Garth]

Q: Would you be up for some 1 on 1 <interview chat format / email > With the 480+ members of the FWLM? Let me know and ill start gathering a questioniar for ya:) [GenDread]
A: Shoot me a PM. [Garth]

Q: Are the devs aware that MWO does not seem to be properly utilizing multiple video cards that are in a SLI/Crossfire configuration, and instead using only one of the video cards? If so, are there plans to support SLI/Crossfire configurations in the future? [Dale]
A: We're actively working on it as I speak. [Garth]

Q: Do you think there will be a way for us (say using MC) to change the outfit of our pilot? I'm sure Paul would love to go sporting around in a pink Jumpsuit with frills. I wouldn't mind something in red so my mech goes faster (red = faster right? lol) Obviously just graphical changes. [Sabrea]
A: Post it in the suggestions so I can send the link around ;) [Garth]

Q: Lately, we've been quite surprised by some decisions (DHS and 3rd Person to name just a few), so do you feel that communication is still good ? [Ezrekiel]
A: Apparently not, as we said we're looking at whether or not 3rd person would work, and people took that to mean not only had we already decided, but that we're actively adding it now. [Garth]

Q: Are there/have there been internal tests comparing the differences in combat performance characteristics of Projectile Weapons when weapons converge to the reticule at a distance determined by the rangefinder (current system), and when weapons converge on the reticule as a function of actual distance-to-target as determined by the targeting system? [Prosperity Park]
A: Yes, Thomas is often looking at things like that. Mostly when I bug him after people bug me. The circle of life and all. [Garth]

Q: Are PGI and IGP located in the same building? [Ragor]
A: No, in fact we're across the country from each other. We need to be separated as their hockey team has won the most Stanley Cups ever, versus our, uh, zero. [Garth]

Q: Can I get a "Hood Ornament" for my Dragon's nose? [CapperDeluxe]
A: Oh what a fantastic idea! I'll email that out right now in fact... [Garth]

Q: Any chance we'll see the behavior of holding down the trigger on the UAC5 changed to be the standard, non-jamming fire rate, or to have a toggle for this? I think it would do a lot for the usability. [buckX]
A: I'm not sure that is the specific idea, but I do know that the jamming mechanics are being overhauled. [Garth]

Q: My question is: What steps is Pgi Taking to combat or nullify hacks and/or cheats like this one i found online to show you guys what your dealing with? [Diewell]
A: I'm not sure I can say SPECIFICALLY what we're doing, but I can say we have huge email threads whenever a new hack/idea comes up. [Garth]

Q: Are you aware of the "running bug", when light Mechs legs get damaged even on slightly rough terrain and if yes, when can we expect fix (if it is a bug at all) ? [Matta]
A: Yes, as a Jenner/Cicada pilot I am accutely aware of this bug, and we are working on it. I have no definitive time you can expect a fix. I'm waiting as impatiently as you are, though :o [Garth]

Q: Will we founders be stuck with our standard variant mechs or will we be able to change to another mech type when they are incoporated into the game? For free or for MC money or something?

I am very sure many of us wont use the old founders mech when the new mech types arrive and it sort make the bonus achived by buying the founder mechs void, and that would be a shame. [Koningswulf]
A: You're going to be 'stuck' with the one you have. The idea is that it was a bonus for buying the founders pack, not an infinite supply of new Mechs. [Garth]

Q: How do you feel you can balance working on the game and getting enough good feedback as to make these choices considering that you have recently broken the rules of engagement by changing multiple things about LRM's at the same time and we are now stripping AMS out of all of our mechs cuz the LRM's are useless in game? [Rixsaw]
A: That hostage jumped in the way! (In seriousness, for every person saying LRM's are terrible, there is someone saying they're OP, so you'll forgive me if I don't immediately jump to your side here.) [Garth]

Cheers,
The MechWarrior Online Team

#2 Stickjock

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

Excellent Q&A as always...

#3 Arcturious

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 785 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

Nice to see SLI, UAC jamming and convergence are all being worked on!

Had a horrible match yesterday where I was standing around 5-10m from a catapult and firing my AC5 at its launcher box. The shots were going in the usual 90 degree straight up bug as if I was standing too close to terrain instead of hitting the Cat - was as if the mech was being mistaken for a blocking object which meant I couldn't hit the darn thing.

#4 Fiatsu

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Meh

#5 Bors Mistral

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 313 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for the QnA, Garth.

Any chance you can threat us with a part 2 and a part 3 of this, or an early change-log for the patch tomorrow?

#6 Lon3Wo1f

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Eh.. I've seen a lot of noncommittal answers lately and it's frustrating me no end. You might have no definitive timeframe for when the fix for light 'Mechs taking damage from 1 inch drops will be but surely you have an ETA. One of the other recent Q&As had nearly all "coming soon" type answers. Would it kill you to offer rough estimates such as late December / early January? There are some issues currently that make it less enjoyable but tolerable while playing and others frustrate me so much I'm not actively playing. The latter is the amount of deaths I've suffered while still having considerable armour.

#7 Calmon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

@gath please lok into LRM. You changed something with your hotfix nerf besides the damage decrease which make them more or less useless. I tested a lot in team and LRM with TAG on a 4xLRM 15 boat makes so muchless damage than pre-patch. We completely stoped using them. I cant remeber the last time soemone use TAG on me.

#8 Redback

Dezgra

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPraying for Bug fixes over Mech decorations.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

I am no fan of using LRMs, I tend to use them on mechs only to complete Pilot trees. But even using Artemis they don't do as well as they did prior to Artemis introduction. (Please note: I never used LRMs during the insane buff).

I have been able to remove AMS from all mechs I use as not only are there very few LRM users atm, but I can literally ignore the fact I have incoming missiles during a fire fight as the dmg is so spread out when it hits.

I hope your employess have been testing LRMs for themselves. Having almost no LRMs in game just feels wrong, I want to have to think twice about running my mech out across the open field.

Edited by Redback, 19 November 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#9 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

tag can have a lot of functionality beyond lrm guidance just as a laser pointer. stick a pair in your K2 torso to ensure both gauss rounds will clear nearby objects/cover if your cresting a hill. Use it in pug matches to designate primary target etc etc.

Also most of the changes with LRM's not being as effective as before arent due to PGI's changes, its due to player behaviour changes. Atremis scared the crap out of people in regards to LRM's, so a lot will know to break line of sight and take cover.

If you get a visual lock to confirm your LRM's are actually hitting the target, you'll see yourself doing a lot of damage. Just stop shooting them at the first thing your scout locks (i.e. other scouts).

Edited by Asmosis, 19 November 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#10 Long Draw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIL, USA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

Yeah, the horrible players that only want to run in lights because their hit boxes are bugged say they were OP. Other than that, everyone agrees you nerfed them to being multi-ton paperweights.

#11 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

I usually run a hbk laser boat and I can say that I don't sweat anymore when I see a LRM boat pop up on my radar. I don't run AMS anymore either.

I ran LRMs in the trial mechs when I first started but I haven't in a long time so I am speaking as a general LRM recipient, haha. They use to suppress open spaces but now I feel I can bolt across them without much hurt. Personally, I'd like to seem them do a bit more damage but I guess if their current level is the intended threat level then I must have thought LRMs held a different role!

PS, thanks for doing these QnA's!

Edited by TygerLily, 19 November 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#12 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 19 November 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

Here you go guys, sorry it's not as much as usual but I'm preparing for that whole 'kill me, Paul, Russ, and Bryan' event we're doing ;)

So anyway, enjoy!

Q: Are there/have there been internal tests comparing the differences in combat performance characteristics of Projectile Weapons when weapons converge to the reticule at a distance determined by the rangefinder (current system), and when weapons converge on the reticule as a function of actual distance-to-target as determined by the targeting system? [Prosperity Park]
A: Yes, Thomas is often looking at things like that. Mostly when I bug him after people bug me. The circle of life and all. [Garth]

Garth, what is the best way to bug you? Do you need another Urbie tile to bug you along further?

#13 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Words on SLI and convergence issues. Im a happy bunny.

#14 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

3rd person is still a bad idea. should be scrapped. soo much else to work on, that is vastly more important, like, TUTORIALS, REAL ONES.

#15 Lonestar1771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

Waste. Of. Time. Seriously why even do the Q&As if you aren't even going to answer questions that matter? At least give us answers that aren't "umm.... I dunno, let me ask someone else and they will answer your question (even though I know they won't)".

#16 Karyu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 148 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of this game, and support anyone (besides M$) trying to bring it back, but your guy's Q&A's typically...well..suck. I think this is the first one I've read where there was somewhat solid feedback.

Yes, I suppose that was a backhanded compliment, but that's all you're getting from me until CW comes out.

#17 Roh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD, US

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 19 November 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

Q: Can I get a "Hood Ornament" for my Dragon's nose? [CapperDeluxe]
A: Oh what a fantastic idea! I'll email that out right now in fact... [Garth]

That there is without a doubt the best part of this ask the Devs. CapperDeluxe you Sir are a genius!

On a slightly more serous note.. What is wrong with people? I have yet to see LRMs be worthless. Slightly weak once or twice WAY back in closed beta but never worthless. Every time something new comes and they get a bit over powered the masses cry bloody murder when they get tweaked back in the other direction. Seriously people do you really think that your LRM boat should be able to slaughter half the other team without any real support from the rest of your own? LRMs are not too weak. Some people just don't know how to use them effectively.

#18 Lonestar1771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

View PostRoh, on 19 November 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

Some people just don't know how to use them effectively.

Or understand they are a SUPPORT weapon that is designed to SOFTEN the enemy, not out right kill them.

#19 NoRoo

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

Thank you for commenting on convergence. It's a fairly complicated issue without an easy answer, I look forward to hearing more on it.

#20 shintakie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

Not a whole lot of meat here, but I can dig it.

The acknowledgement that communication between the devs and the players is somewhat lackin was quite refreshin as its been a point of contention for a while. I also liked that they acknowledged the weird bug with leg damage and said they were workin on a fix.

Edited by shintakie, 19 November 2012 - 09:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users