Aha, so you came back after all :D

#102 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

View PostMadPanda, on 19 November 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

Introduction

I love the Atlas mech in MWO and I've got all 4 chassis which I've played a lot and fine tuned my builds for different purposes. Now I feel I got my atlas builds at a point I can share them with others. These builds all provide different gameplay and suit most situations. They are all strong builds within their own areas of expertise. Hope you guys enjoy these builds as I have!

The Guardian - Atlas K build

This is the overall build of an atlas that can handle every situation but is not the best in any of them, a jack of all trades you might say. The specialty of the K-model is the two AMS slots which this build uses. This is the easiest build to play and thus is the best one for new players to get into an atlas.

Posted Image

Upgrades

Double Heatsink
Artemis

Weapons

4x Medium Lasers
1x LRM20
1x AC20
2x AMS

Load-out

Left Arm - Medium Laser, AMS, 2x Double Heatsinks
Right Arm - Medium Laser, AMS, 2x Double Heatsinks

Head - AMS ammo
Center Torso - 2x Medium Lasers, Standard Engine 300 with 2x Double Heatsinks
Left Torso - LRM20, Double Heatsink, 3x LRM ammo
Right Torso - AC20, 2x AC20 ammo

Left Leg - AC20 ammo, AMS ammo
Right Leg - 2x AC20 ammo

Armor

18 - Head
102 - Center Torso
22 - Center Torso Rear
68 - Right Torso
16 - Right Torso Rear
60 - Left Torso
24 - Left Torso Rear
68 - Right Arm
68 - Left Arm
65 - Right Leg
65 - Left Leg

Notes and observations

-The engine has been switched from XL to Standard.
-Center torso armor has been reinforced to withstand head to head combat vs brawlers.
-Right torso armor has been increased to protect the ballistic slot which is often a big target on an atlas.
-Leg armor has been reduced because legs are never targeted on an atlas.

Playstyle

Early game when both teams are feeling each other out, use the LRM's to attack targets you see. Stick with your group so you can cover them from enemy LRM's with your double AMS system. When closing the distance to your target, shell him with as many LRM's as you can. When you get close enough (about 200-300m), start using the MPL's to focus down the center torso area of the enemy. Use the AC20 any time you have a clear shot, try not to waste them from unsure long range shots. You are not a brawler, so try to keep a 200-300m distance from your main target and don't get into situations alone where you may get focused down. Let the team brawlers engage the enemy mechs and keep supporting them. You can take down many mechs one on one but it's not recommended to get into these situations if you can avoid them.

Updated: 10.1.2013

The Supporter - Atlas D build

This is the long range build with emphasis on LRM's. You will support your team from really long range and make sure every fight your team takes is favorable for them.

Posted Image

Upgrades

Endo Steel Structure
Double Heatsinks
Artemis

Weapons

2x Large lasers
2x LRM20
1x Gauss rifle
1x TAG

Load-out

Left Arm - Large Laser
Right Arm - Large Laser

Head - -
Center Torso - LRM ammo, Standard 275 Engine, TAG
Left Torso - 2x LRM20
Right Torso - Gauss rifle, CASE, 3x LRM ammo

Left Leg - 2x LRM ammo
Right Leg - 2x Gauss ammo

Armor

18 - Head
94 - Center Torso
28 - Center Torso Rear
64 - Right Torso
20 - Right Torso Rear
64 - Left Torso
20 - Left Torso Rear
68 - Right Arm
68 - Left Arm
48 - Right Leg
50 - Left Leg

Notes and observations

-The engine has been switched from Standard 300 to Standard 275.
-Leg armor has been reduced by 2 tons

Playstyle

Your main objective will be to shell out LRM's from behind the lines. Get into a good position where you can fire at the locations where your team will engage the enemy mechs. If you have good vision on the targets you are showering with the LRM's then also use your Gauss to greatly bring up your damage output. If someone notices you and decides to come and get you, shower him with the LRM's and Gauss and this time also use the Large lasers. You normally don't want to use Large lasers on far away targets because they will draw a lot of attention to you. Use the large lasers on targets that have spotted you, or on lonely targets who can't do anything even if they know where you are shooting them from.

Updated 8.1.2013

Dude putting ammo to center torso is not a good decision, i was doing the same mistake. Once your CT armor is gone your ammo may explode and kill you due to critical hit. Remove it from CT and you can survive longer!!!

#103 MadPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostUnikron, on 07 August 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

Aha, so you came back after all :)

I was always gonna come back, but I thought it would happen when cw rolled out, but since clans rolled out first and madcat was basically the only thing I've wanted in this game since starting it at open beta, I had to try it out right now.

View PostENS Puskin, on 07 August 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

Dude putting ammo to center torso is not a good decision, i was doing the same mistake. Once your CT armor is gone your ammo may explode and kill you due to critical hit. Remove it from CT and you can survive longer!!!

I don't remember from top of my head if there was free slots anywhere else than CT, but if there was you can move it if you like. However, you don't have to because it's not a real problem. 1ton of lrm ammo on ct of an atlas is perfectly safe because ammo gets used in order of head->ct->side torsos->arms->legs. There's no way for you to lose your CT armor before you use 1ton of lrm ammo, if that happens then the ammo location wasn't really the problem you had in the game :D.

#104 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

View PostMadPanda, on 20 August 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

...ammo gets used in order of head->ct->side torsos->arms->legs.

I do not think so! Can you prove it?

#105 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:43 AM

View PostENS Puskin, on 20 August 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

I do not think so! Can you prove it?

This info was released well over a year ago. I don't even know where to start looking for quotes. So unless you have newer information that it has been changed, it's still like that.

#106 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:27 AM

View PostMadPanda, on 21 August 2014 - 04:43 AM, said:

This info was released well over a year ago. I don't even know where to start looking for quotes. So unless you have newer information that it has been changed, it's still like that.

Hmmm i did not know it, i had to miss the information.

#107 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:36 AM

You guys might laugh at this, but I've been driving an Atlas K made out of pretty much spare parts I found lying around my garage. I pulled the XL because that thing is way too easy to break, and replaced it with a leftover engine from my Cataphract days. So my Atlas goes a bit over 40KPH at the moment. For weapons I'm rocking four MPLs, an LBX, and an SRM6. I also didn't pay to upgrade to DHS, so I do overheat once in a blue moon on terra therma.

With all that said, this thing is a terror in close combat. You can punch through most armor in a jiffy with the lasers, and the crit-rating of the LB lets you just tear exposed components off like they were attached with tissue paper and the speed of it synergizes fairly well with the SRMs at any range you'd actually want to fire SRMs. This mech is not a brawler, it's far too slow. It is not a sniper, only the LB really reaches any distance at all, and it sucks the further you go. What it is, however, is an exceptional ambush mech. If you are waiting behind a wall or corner and someone runs out in front of you like a risk-taking splatcat, you'll crush them. Plus the imagined look of terror on their pilot's face when he sees a fully armored close-range-specialized Atlas literally under 10 meters from him is pretty worth it. It's been an interesting first foray into the world of assault piloting for one who has until recently been primarily a light pilot, though I don't like how it can get stuck on rocks that are shorter than its stride.

#108 Supah

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:26 PM

The standard DDC build is still so good. Having fun with an RS with 4 LPLs and a 350. Fun times.

#109 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

View PostSupah, on 01 September 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

The standard DDC build is still so good. Having fun with an RS with 4 LPLs and a 350. Fun times.

4 LPLs is not so effective as it was before the heat penalty.

#110 Cloora

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:39 AM

This is what I have been running on my Boar's Head. It is my alternative to the D-DC I switch off between. It does nearly the same Damage as your D-DC build (which I also use) but using MPLs instead of 3 SRM-6's help with pin point damage and also applying that damage on light mechs.
Lacks the ECM of the D-DC obviously but has a little more speed with a 325 engine. I was thinking of putting in a 300 but I don't know what I would do with the extra tonnage?

BOAR'S HEAD

View PostENS Puskin, on 02 September 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

4 LPLs is not so effective as it was before the heat penalty.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I tried running 6 ER LLs on my Boars head.... no dice

Edited by Cloora, 09 April 2015 - 05:41 PM.

#111 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:25 PM

View PostCloora, on 09 April 2015 - 09:39 AM, said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I tried running 5 ER LLs on my Boars head.... no dice

No dice? What do you mean with that?

Edited by ENS Puskin, 09 April 2015 - 12:26 PM.

#112 Cloora

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:54 PM

View PostENS Puskin, on 09 April 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

No dice? What do you mean with that?

I mean that the ghost heat was too much and it required chain firing which leaves you too exposed to chain fire 6 ER LLs to get any decent DPS. Even with as many heat sinks I could fit

#113 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:10 AM

The AS7-S with 4 ASRM6s, AC20, and 4 MLs is the king of the brawlers. Period.

#114 Cloora

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:58 PM

View PostNRP, on 11 April 2015 - 08:10 AM, said:

The AS7-S with 4 ASRM6s, AC20, and 4 MLs is the king of the brawlers. Period.

I just bought one and fitted it as such and now I am in agreement. I am coreing things left and right! YEAH BUDDY

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users