The Four Horsemen - Atlas Builds

113 replies to this topic

#41 Wun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostNRP, on 08 January 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

What exactly does a BAP do?

Increases your sensor range, IIRC just 15%. It is currently jammed by ECM also.

#42 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Thanks. Is there any way to automatically target enemies? It's a pain to hit a key each time.

#43 Bad Brad Keselowski

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationHalloran V, defending Transpax Corporation from taxing authorities

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

Thank you very much for sharing your builds! I will take advantage of that when I need to play other variants to master the Atlas. At the moment I have a D-DC (because of ECM) but I play it as a LRM boat (3x LRM 15/Artemis) plus an AC/20 and a TAG. It works best when you are somewhat around 200-300 m away from the target and have LOS (generally, do not fire missiles without having LOS).

In PUG games (I only play PUG so I have no idea how/if this would work in 8man) it works very well. Because you don't see TAG very often in PUG, you can surprise a lot of players who don't care much about cover when hiding under an ECM bubble. When it comes to closer combat, you are actually "a bit" behind, but only a bit. A 3x LRM 15 salvo from about 200-250m combined with a good shot of the AC20 is very devastating. You have to mention also the psychological impact of it, the sound of the missile impacts and the shaking from it and the AC/20 often scares off lesser experienced players.

Big weakness is, of course, you need to be at least 180m away to fire the LRMs and your AC/20 is quite vulnerable. It happened to me very often at the beginning that it exploded what makes you useless <180m. But with more experience you improve your positioining so I more often blow up before my AC/20.
Also be very careful on the trigger, especially with your LRM. If you shoot without LOS you should be very certain that the target has no cover. Also mind maps like city river have good spots to run for cover.

I almost play with thermal vision always. This makes you easier to pick the right targets. That's the main part about it. Don't be greedy on kills, a heavy wounded enemy who runs for cover can be killed by a teammate too, so you better shoot your LRM at a mech who stays open than in a house trying to finish the wounded one off.

When I somedays have more money I'm going to try the brawler build too. I have to resist the temptation on spending money to the changes because I want to master the Atlas first. I'm looking forward to purchase the 7K, and I'm gonna copy your build of it, if you don't mind ;-)

#44 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

View PostNRP, on 08 January 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

What exactly does a BAP do?

Increases sensor range, speeds up getting target lock and allows you to target enemy mechs that are shutdown (short range).

@Brad: By all means copy the builds, that's why they are there ;). Enjoy your Atlases!

#45 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:33 AM

View PostMadPanda, on 08 January 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

Big Update!

After mastering the cataprachs and stalkers it was time for me to check the Atlases again. With fresh eyes I've managed to optimize and improve the builds even further.

The Guardian Atlas K build has the least changes as he is pretty packed already. He lost some AC20 ammo and got a BAP on him.

The Supporter Atlas D build has been improved with a bigger engine and there was zero loss in firepower! How is that possible?! Check it out :D.

The Commander Atlas DC build has been improved with a bigger engine making you Speedy Gonzales of the atlases with huge 63kph (with speed tweak)! Pulse lasers have been replaced to normals making you lose slightly firepower but with better heat management you are actually now more effective! And did I already mention the speed? You will be keeping up with the catapults and hunchies with ease! I highly recommend anyone using my old build to update to this new one, it's really amazing!

The Archon Atlas RS build has got a complete overhaul. I came to the conclusion that you guys don't need a guide on how to make a 4 PPC atlas, it's pretty self explanatory :D. So I made the RS into a "serious" build. It still takes advantage of the RS specialty which is the energy hardpoints in the arms. It's pretty effective build, check it out!

I'd like to draw more attention to the big update I did recently. Since it was right on the page break some might have missed it.

Further more I've updated the Guardian Atlas K build. After thinking it over, BAP is pretty useless to this build. So BAP is removed and it is replaced by Artemis and AC20 ammo.

#46 Bad Brad Keselowski

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationHalloran V, defending Transpax Corporation from taxing authorities

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:59 AM

Sorry for the stupid question, does Artemis on the Atlas K (which I could finally purchase) really improve the way LRM fly?

I had on my LRM boat like D-DC (the one I described in #44) a long time no Artemis, and as I added it, I just felt like it didnt any improvement and I think I threw all this money out of the window.

Edit: Just played a round in my new K and it fires 2 times 10, which already gives quite a good concentration. Considering my experience with LRM in the D-DC variant, which has a similar missile tube allocation, I think Artemis is only (if ever) worth to upgrade when you swim in C-Bills.

But that the BAP is worthless atm, that's no question. It can maybe a help in situations (given there is no ECM around jamming your LRM anyway) when you get into a brawl and you cannot fire your AC/20 and MLas for whatever reason (for example cooldown or bad positioning) to switch quickly to a target further away and profit from the faster missile lock.

Edited by Bad Brad Keselowski, 10 January 2013 - 05:38 AM.

#47 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Artemis improves the grouping of the missiles. It can be hard to tell sometimes on LRM's, and you also have to remember the important fact that Artemis only works when you have line of sight to the enemy. So if you are for example shooting someone behind the hill, Artemis won't do anything. But as the Guardian build isn't an LRM boat, you will be pretty close to the front lines most of the times to spot for enemies you can use your ML's and AC20 so you will have vision on them and Artemis will help you out. So the Artemis is an improved, but a small one, I got 50m so I haven't considered the price, but if you are on a tight budget you can leave Artemis out and use the extra ton and crit slot for more ammo.

#48 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

It was suggested to me that I should make a video of every atlas build in this guide to showcase what they can do. I tried to record a good game today but after about 15 stomps, I gave up on it :P. I didn't want the time to be completely wasted so I picked one game that had the most continues action. So yeah it's a stomp, but hopefully you guys can still enjoy the Atlas DC action. I will try to record a good game some time later that I will put part of the guides but for now enjoy the stomp B).

#49 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:53 AM

Your K doesn't have Artemis even though you claim it does. All in all I'm glad these builds work for you but I can't recommend them to anyone.

#50 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:01 AM

View PostAym, on 11 January 2013 - 04:53 AM, said:

Your K doesn't have Artemis even though you claim it does. All in all I'm glad these builds work for you but I can't recommend them to anyone.

I just hadn't updated the picture. It's updated now.

#51 twibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

View PostMadPanda, on 19 November 2012 - 09:20 PM, said:

The Archon - Atlas RS build

This build is suitable for mid to long range and is mostly a supporter build. Understanding heat management is important with this build. This build rips away body parts from other mechs and is very effective in supportive role. Recommended for experienced players.

Posted Image

Upgrades

Endo Steel Structure
Double Heatsinks

Weapons

4x Large Laser
2x LRM15

Load-out

Left Arm - 2x Large Laser
Right Arm - 2x Large Laser

Head - -
Center Torso - Standard 330 Engine with 3x Double Heatsinks
Left Torso - 2x LRM15, Double Heatsink
Right Torso - 4x Double Heatsinks

Left Leg - 2x LRM ammo
Right Leg - 2x LRM ammo

Armor

18 - Head
94 - Center Torso
30 - Center Torso Rear
64 - Right Torso
20 - Right Torso Rear
64 - Left Torso
20 - Left Torso Rear
68 - Right Arm
68 - Left Arm
56 - Right Leg
58 - Left Leg

Notes and observations

-Leg armor has been greatly reduced
-Engine is 330 Standard giving you good speed

Playstyle

Even though you are packing 4 LL's and can be very devastating in close combat, you are not a brawler. Stay behind the front lines and use the LRM's to support your team and shoot them at every one you can get a lock on. Use the LL's when ever you can and switch to using just two of them at a time when your heat goes above 70%. I recommend putting the firing groups as "1" for the two LL at left hand and "2" for the two LL at the right hand, "3" or "4" for the LRM's, which ever you prefer. Your optimal engaging range is about 300-450m. You don't want to be too close but close enough that your LL's do full damage. When facing other Assault mechs, I recommend focusing their side torsos with your LL's unless their CT is already damaged from somewhere else. 4 LL's destroy side torsos quickly and they lose their weapons which puts you at an advantage. You are not strong enough to CT core another Assault that is build for brawling, he will destroy you first so that's why try to get his weaker side torsos first.

Updated 8.1.2013

I have similar build but have few suggestion of my own.

I use the LLAS also in groups of two, but group 1 has one LLAS from LA and one from RA, group 2 being the same. This is because I have a feeling that the game is not quite registering the hits from dual LLAS coming from the same point. Atleast when I used to alpha all 4 LLAS to a centurion CT, it took several alphas to kill it even though his torso had no armor left. Could also be the laggy netcode.

Another suggestion I make is to drop one LRM15 to LRM10 and use the tonnages you get to add artemis system in. The meager 9 missile tubes means that with 30 missiles it's bit silly salvo of 9+9+9+3 where as the 25 will net more sensible 9+9+7. Also you will like the added guidance, lock on and grouping, easily worth the 5 missile. The heat is also bit better.

#52 Damiler

• PipPip
  • Sergeant
  • 28 posts
  • LocationTunja, Colombia

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Well, i have 2 builds.
1. x2 ER LL and 1 LL. x1 Gauss with 5 tons of ammo. 18 DHS 335 std engine.
2. 2 ER LL, 1 AC/20, LRM 20 With 2 tons of ammo, Artemis. 300 Std engine.

#53 Capt Cole 117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationSeattle Aerospace Defense Command, Terra

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

PSA
If your useing LRMs your doing it wrong.

#54 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

I took advantage of the double XP weekend to level up my Atlases. I got an AS7-D and an AS7-RS. The D was ok, but really kind of meh, so I sold it after unlocking the basics. The RS on the other hand is some if the most fun I've ever had. I went with an alpha sniper build:

XL360 (had one laying around, and I hate going slow)
4 PPCs
1 Gauss (2T ammo)
DHS
Endo

I wish I could add another ton of gauss ammo, but I have no crit slots left. The XL engine isn't a big deal either because when/if I die, I'm usually the last man standing and getting swarmed anyway. Also, it takes 4 heat sinks, which is vital with slot hogging Endo.

I don't know what it is about high alpha builds and my preferred play style, but I love this setup. Simply put, I have been WRECKING stuff with this thing! I just ran into a 4 PPC stalker. I was like "Hey buddy, I'll see your 4 PPCs and raise you a gauss rifle", LOL! He was hating life because as our PPCs cooled, I was blasting him with gauss rounds.

I'll definitely be keeping the RS.

Edited by NRP, 20 January 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#55 Lege

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 365 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:27 AM

I would argue the gauss rifle is better than the ac 20 for every build.
Mainly on the heat and range issue.
I can understand making a short range only mech, but range doesn't hurt.
The less heat from the ballistic spot allows more use of the lasers and missiles.
So instead of alpha, alpha, gotta wait to fire while getting shot, alpha.
You can do alpha, alpha, alpha, it's dead and not shooting back.

For the RS build, I recommend not using the LRMs and loading up on SHS instead.
Or using SSRM-2 for smalls that get on top of you.

Edited by Lege, 31 January 2013 - 08:28 AM.

#56 Aeropb

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOKC

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

Gauss rifle has less health. AC20 is so far superior just because of that fact.

#57 Torchedini

Rookie

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

I've been enjoying this build a lot as well,
AS7-D

The 2 er ppcs give combined with the UAC 5 a nice punch close to medium while you move back to your optimal range of 200-400m.
It overheats quite quickly though, so you could switch out the ER-PPC for normal PPC but then you are almost useless in the sub90m range.

I at least enjoy the ppc's more then the gauss and laser combo from the start post anyway.

Edited by Torchedini, 08 February 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#58 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Been running your DDC build since early closed beta, granted its come some way due to artemis and DH's, but its imo the best DDC build period ever since the UAC jamming nerf
(i used to run triple SRM6 dual UAC5 dual ML, anything infront of me died instantly)

Edited by Skadi, 08 February 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#59 p00k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

View PostNRP, on 20 January 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

I just ran into a 4 PPC stalker. I was like "Hey buddy, I'll see your 4 PPCs and raise you a gauss rifle", LOL! He was hating life because as our PPCs cooled, I was blasting him with gauss rounds.

if he were smart he'd be aiming for your RT. 2 alphas and there's a good chance you're dead between the gauss explosion, his damage, and the xl engine

#60 FrozenFlesh

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • Locationbehind you!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Thanks a lot MadPanda. Your builds helped me getting into the Game!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users