To Clan or not to Clan

410 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you play a clan character if you were given the chance? (996 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you play a clan character if you were given the chance?

1. Yes (660 votes [66.27%])

Percentage of vote: 66.27%

2. No (336 votes [33.73%])

Percentage of vote: 33.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#361 Ethanim

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

Clan here, I love the lore and the Honor code. I like the trial of position to get access to better mechs and tech, might keep some that just want the shiney things out if they really have to work to get it.

#362 Aggressor666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 158 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

how are they supposed to do a clan invasion without elementals?

#363 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Holy necro, batman!

With our mechs, Robin. With our mechs!

#364 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

View PostStormwolf, on 03 November 2011 - 02:28 PM, said:

Yes, I've been waiting for this since GBL, my only consolation prize in recent years was the Clan Wolf ending in MW4 mercs.

I'd ofcourse play by the honor rules and grant hegira to respectable enemies.

Why was I not aware of this? Do you need be affiliated with Wolf Dragoons or Kell Hounds or is it always an option? Been so long since played it maybe I just do not remember, Damn those CRC Errored disks!!!

#365 Grizley

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

By Clan Wolf I think he means the Steiner ending. You do end up fighting Clan Wolf mechs in the final mission then, but it's really to benefit House Steiner.

#366 TibsVT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 421 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIronhold (Sydney, Australia)

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

View PostDFDelta, on 03 November 2011 - 03:55 PM, said:

You know guys, I think the clanners will make me laugh.

I guess 80% of those that sign up as clanners once they become available are only after the easymode that clantech represents.
I know there are diehard lore-clanners here, but most won't be.

Then, if the devs are smart, we get canon countermeasures against clan superiority to keep the clans balanced for gameplay.
Something like a team size handicap (Binary vs Company, aka 10vs12) or a BV like system. Something like that: Yes you can sign up for combat with a binary of Timberwolves and Mad Dogs, but don't be surprised if you have to fight a reinforced company of Awesomes and Maulers.
Suddenly those guys would have to actually work for their victories, and would even have to be, as lore dictates, good pilots to archive anything.
Then there will be much whining, and us IS pilots laughing.

I'm kinda looking forward to it.
As a Clanner myself I find this assumption shockingly similar to my own. I can't begin to imagine the headaches myself and the other Clanners who are in it for the right reasons, will endure at the hands of people who just want to use the Clan tech simply because its "better". Though I'd love to spectate the comedy that ensues during a game like that.

While I'm not directing this at everyone who grabs a Timber Wolf because they like the Mech, you make the very real point that the majority will just use them to a useless degree.

I keep hearing that the Clan Mechs should run quite a bit warmer then the IS ones. If they really do stack the teams unevenly and people are already cooking Mechs in the snow, these people have zero chance of being anything more useful then a distraction/handicap.

That little rant aside, if they do implement IS vs. Clan matches that are stacked in the IS' favour for numbers I can say I will be very happy. Such an exciting concept.

Edited by KelesK, 12 March 2013 - 09:51 PM.

#367 TommyAtkins

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

I've been a fan of clan ghost bear since pen and paper battletech & mechwarrior. Actually playing a clanner in MW:O though... probably not. While there is no denying the superiority of clan tech to innersphere, I really worry about game balance. Not only from the mech balance. (Because lets face it, no matter how expensive they make the mechs, people would be able to just pay for them), but more importantly to me is that they wouldn't PLAY like clan mechs. The whole honor/single combat concept that clanners fight with would have to be reflected in actual game play mechanics. Perhaps if you couldn't actually fire on any other mech after the first one you hit until you've destroyed it.... I don't know. I'm still waiting with anticipation for the game to move forward to the clan invasion point though, if for no other reason than I want to get a bushwhacker.

#368 Citizen Erased

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 97 posts
  • LocationMontsoult (Paris) - France

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

I just need to salvage a Timberwolf, and then... I'll beat the crap out of them

#369 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:02 PM

It is laughable that people claim to be Clan, yet use debased language, quiaff? Better lose those contractions if you really style yourself Clan.

#370 Iron Savior

Dezgra

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostKyll Long, on 03 November 2011 - 02:27 PM, said:

Not for any amount in the world

Hear hear.

I am freeborn. Clanners are just free wins, however.

View PostTommyAtkins, on 30 May 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

The whole honor/single combat concept that clanners fight with would have to be reflected in actual game play mechanics.

Clanners stopped playing games when they realized war wasn't one, and the IS smashed their faces in.

Hey they said they'd fight honorably. Why are we outnumbered 5 to 1? I thought they said they'd only bring two stars.

I don't know how long it took them to figure it out, but I imagine a few times.

Edited by Iron Savior, 30 May 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#371 Joanna Conners

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

What's with the assumptions that no Clan pilots are freeborn too? If you're just here to grief, then move along.

#372 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:30 AM

No, salvaging clan-tech sounds better. Besides, I'd rather stamp the Steiner logo on my Clan-Tech and paint it blue instead of becoming a clanner to get it.

Edited by Will9761, 08 June 2013 - 06:36 AM.

#373 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

If it wasn't for the Clans holding to Clan honor, the IS, in 3053, would have included "Quiaff" and "Quineg" in their vocabularly, and not because it sounds cool.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 08 June 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#374 TheInventor

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 5 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:06 PM

View PostDFDelta, on 03 November 2011 - 03:55 PM, said:

You know guys, I think the clanners will make me laugh.

I guess 80% of those that sign up as clanners once they become available are only after the easymode that clantech represents.
I know there are diehard lore-clanners here, but most won't be.

Then, if the devs are smart, we get canon countermeasures against clan superiority to keep the clans balanced for gameplay.
Something like a team size handicap (Binary vs Company, aka 10vs12) or a BV like system. Something like that: Yes you can sign up for combat with a binary of Timberwolves and Mad Dogs, but don't be surprised if you have to fight a reinforced company of Awesomes and Maulers.
Suddenly those guys would have to actually work for their victories, and would even have to be, as lore dictates, good pilots to archive anything.
Then there will be much whining, and us IS pilots laughing.

I'm kinda looking forward to it.

I am a really big Clan fan, especially with Ghost Bear and Wolf's Dragoons. This sounds like a fantastic idea. Balance out the Clan tech by giving the Inner Sphere more members. I really hate it when people are like "Ooooo! Clan tech! ***** **** *****", and stick with it for lighter and better weapons.

I like Clans. I like their fighting and war style, their alien-like cultures, the Honor system, etc. The only thing I do not like is how Jade Falcon and other Crusader Clans had the "burn the Inner Sphere" thought process, as well as really pompus attitudes, and conservative nature (the latter found in many other Clans).

I do not think MW:O should deny Clan fans, however, they should make them prove their fandom in the field. Do they really like siding with the Clans? Or do they like siding with their technology?

Maybe only allow people who list a Clan as their faction be allowed to use Clan tech and 'mechs? Then have them abide Clan balance restrictions? Make them really work for their tech? Then if you switched your faction to an Inner Sphere one, you could not use your Clan 'mechs and tech; you must stick to Inner Sphere technologies again.

I too look forward to this gameplay possibility, and I will not be the Clanner who is whining, rather laughing alongside the Inner Sphere as false Trueborns realize what kind of expectations real Clansmen face!

(Sorry, I kind of went into Clan character out of RP habit xD)

#375 darkfall13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 298 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

Wow... 2 years...

#376 TheInventor

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 5 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:34 PM

View PostRhinehart, on 04 November 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

As I've stated pretty clearly In another thread I will never, ever fight for the Clans. They represent institutionalized repression based on genetics. Don't think the time won't come when they will want Iron Wombs for everyone regardless of caste, when freeborns will go from being 2nd class citizens to vermin slated for extermination. This is the logical progression of Eugenics based philosophy whether they admit it or not.

I'll take my Freeborn galaxy with all it's problems any day of the week over that and twice on Sundays.

The only thing I want from the Clans is some good salvage.

(That being said I might start a clan alt or two if there is a mechanism for them to become Ex Clanners. I find the story of former Clanners trying to find their way in the Inner Sphere compelling. Has there been any discussion for whether IS can become Clan by being taken as bondsmen or if Clanners can leave or be exiled from the Clans?)

(The only Clanner I'd play as dedicated would be a Clan Goilath Scorpion Seeker. For those who don't know what that is they are focused on recovering artifacts of the Star League Era and not really interested in conquering anything outside of that goal, though they also have a nasty addiciton to a product of Goilath Scorpion venom called Necrosia. For some reason this is the only Clan that has ever seemed interesting to me at all.)

(I might also consider playing a Comstar Mechwarrior.)

Okay, I wasn't sure if anyone else agreed with me on this.
*hugs you*
Yes, I'm a huge Clan fan, HOWEVER, I'd WAAAAY much prefer being an ex-Clanner who has the Honor code, waste-none-attitude, and the 'mechs, over being a still-Clanner with the same things, but fighting for genetic superiority.

#377 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:36 AM

View PostTheInventor, on 08 August 2013 - 10:34 PM, said:

Okay, I wasn't sure if anyone else agreed with me on this.
*hugs you*
Yes, I'm a huge Clan fan, HOWEVER, I'd WAAAAY much prefer being an ex-Clanner who has the Honor code, waste-none-attitude, and the 'mechs, over being a still-Clanner with the same things, but fighting for genetic superiority.

Not all Clanners fight for genetic superiority. The Warden Wolves fight to protect the Inner Sphere from the burning fury of the Crusaders. This is why Clan Wolf (and then Clan Wolf-in-Exile) is my favourite Clan.

edit: Jaroth, i see you are reading this topic,why are you waiting to post something about your loved Crusader Wolves? :)

Edited by CyclonerM, 09 August 2013 - 06:37 AM.

#378 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:13 AM

I love how people are quoting posts two years old.

#379 WarGruf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales (DropShip)

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

One does not choose to be Clan.

We are Clan! Seyla...

#380 Korvin Pride

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver