Battletech Melee Weapons

261 replies to this topic

Poll: BattleTech melee weapons (812 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be BattleTech melee weapons

1. Voted Yes (690 votes [84.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 84.98%

2. Voted No (122 votes [15.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Whatzituyah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,236 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn a dark corner waiting to alpha strike his victim.

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

I can imagine this someone punching the cockpit with the Atlas then a ammo explosion happens blowing the Atlas arm off make that a feature for lols.

#102 Kabalite Warrior

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

Meele Weapons??? OMFG NO! This is Mechwarrior, not a ****** Asia Mecha Game. Meele Weapons are the worst idea i ever heard. More Worse than delete the heat from the game. If you want meele weapons at huge robots, go and play gundam.

#103 The pessimistic optimist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostKabalite Warrior, on 30 October 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

Meele Weapons??? OMFG NO! This is Mechwarrior, not a ****** Asia Mecha Game. Meele Weapons are the worst idea i ever heard. More Worse than delete the heat from the game. If you want meele weapons at huge robots, go and play gundam.

You know jack **** about battletech don't you?
http://www.sarna.net...y:Melee_Weapons
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by SirSmokes, 30 October 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#104 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

WTB Kick module and punch module, plzkthxbai.

Bro, do you even Battletech?

We should be able to pick up a blown off arm and use it as a club, that is if we happen to have a hand actuator.

Edited by Bagheera, 30 October 2013 - 11:07 AM.

#105 Kabalite Warrior

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

View PostBagheera, on 30 October 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

WTB Kick module and punch module, plzkthxbai.

Bro, do you even Battletech?

We should be able to pick up a blown off arm and use it as a club, that is if we happen to have a hand actuator.

I didnt like Battletech ^^ i like Mechwarrior and Mechcommander because there are no meele weapons xD

#106 CarnifexMaximus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 397 posts
  • LocationOakland, California Republic, North America, Terra

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

I would love to see melee, but this day and age in a live first person game I feel like it would be some kind of QTE a la battlefield or just plain awkward like Skyrim. I just don't see melee in a 1st person game feeling natural at all.

If we are talking MechCommander 3 then hell yes.

#107 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

View PostKabalite Warrior, on 30 October 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

I didnt like Battletech ^^ i like Mechwarrior and Mechcommander because there are no meele weapons xD

That is a very strange reason to like/dislike something, but to each their own I guess.

Melee is awesome.

#108 Fabe

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

Too bad ,without Battletech and or Gundam for that matter you wouldn't have Mechwarrior . Show some respect to the games origins.

If they can get it to work right I would love to see melee combat in MWO,a swift kick to the head would be just the thing to get rid of those ankle bitting lights

Edited by Fabe, 30 October 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#109 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

View PostFabe, on 30 October 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

If they can get it to work right I would love to see melee combat in MWO,a swift kick to the head would be just the thing to get rid of those ankle bitting lights

Indeed. A kick from an Atlas did as much damage as an AC/20.

On the other hand, a charge by a 170 kph Locust did almost as much damage as TWO AC/20s (36 damage, although spread out in 5-damage chunks).

#110 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:20 AM

Melee and melee weapons is a huge part of BT universe, ignoring it is not a wise choice.

On the other hand that would be huge commercial feature, everybody love axeman. That would bring tons of new players.

Edited by Jaeger Gonzo, 07 November 2013 - 03:46 AM.

#111 Enzane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 428 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTemplar Command Training Camp.

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:22 AM

Battle Tech and Mech Warrior are by the same company. In the Same universe, Using the Same Mechs, with only a slight difference.

Battle Tech focuses on the Mech combat.
Mech Warrior focuses on the Solders IN those mechs.

Due to this. Most Battle Tech games are usually TT variants (I said usually, there is the SNES/Genesis versions which are top down shooters.)
And Mech Warrior Games are usually FPS/3PS due to the focus on the pilot (Once again Usually, NOT counting that Gawdawful MechAssault)

now, that Said. Lets look at My Mech Warrior Third Eddition. Hey Look: "Melee Combat Modifier Table." Hmmm. that looks like Melee Combat to me... but lets keep looking. Yep Page 112, of the Mech Warrior: Third Edition book, Melee Combat Rules.

MekTek's MW4 had Melee attacks in certain Mechs. Mostly the Elementals. So we can't use that as a basis either.

Well, Given what little I do know; I would have to disagree with you Kabalite Warrior. Mech Warrior DOES have Melee attacks, as does Battle Tech. Since they are, In essence, The same universe from a different perspective. Melee does exist in both.

But, Should MWO have Melee? No. No. No. Collisions will be enough, thank you. If they were to add Melee to the game it would become a very CQC game. An atlas could flatten a Commando without even looking. It would make Light Fighting VERY dangerous, and possibly destroy the 'role' warfare (what little we have left anyway). Besides, Do we really want Dragon Bowling back into the game? (I know my answer to that is YES, but I think most of you will say no.)

#112 Cycleboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:58 AM

I don't think anyone wants Rock-em, Sock-em Robots. But a slow kick or punch that gives all kinds of reticle swing as a last ditch to back off a face-hugger or ankle-biter would be nice. Same with collisions... should a key press you have to do... straight line charge with damage... no knock-down DragonBowl Z, but some JJ shake effects... to give kamikaze light pilots that have lost all weapons something to do to help take out that last assault mech.

#113 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

Light fighting danger? Yeah face hugging will be not an option. But fast kick from behind fallowed by pulse alpha? Perfectly fine and lore correct.

#114 Blurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

there should be a default one that can cause damage like a ram or something - so even after a few flesh wounds - you can manage a little something.

come back here - it is just a flesh wound!

#115 Zarlaren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationRoseburg

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

If done right it could happen but the melee mechs have to built tougher so they can be in melee range to use said melee weapon. If a single AC20 blasts it down then the mech and the weapon is useless. More max armor bonus for equiping a melee weapon cause Mech will be at a great disadvange for not having range.

#116 mouser42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 382 posts
  • Locationb-more

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

it would be fun to bell clap a locus or punt a commando with an atlas:) and a hatchet-man mech would be cool to pilot.

#117 Grablebish

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:46 AM

We recently started playing with a friend.

that game is for sure really interesting, and one of the things that we think are missing is MELEE. What is more stupid than an atlas, in front of an other atlas, doing nothing ?

Plus, that would add some dynamic moves, making the game more visually impressive

#118 Jaeger Gonzo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

Are you for real?

#119 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:31 AM

Even just a "give a punch" button... So we can make jealous those freaky dual ac20 Jager and K2 that got no arms! (They won't be, though we would brag about it, so we will all get happy in the end)

Edit: (Strange, that guy who liked his own post... see above)

Edited by XtremWarrior, 28 November 2013 - 02:33 AM.

#120 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:37 AM

GIve me my Axeman!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users