Battletech Melee Weapons

261 replies to this topic

Poll: BattleTech melee weapons (812 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be BattleTech melee weapons

1. Voted Yes (690 votes [84.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 84.98%

2. Voted No (122 votes [15.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#201 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:03 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 28 August 2015 - 04:46 PM, said:

i disagree
there is a lot of ammo dependent and/or asymmetrical (or both! like drg-1n or wvr-6r) mechs/builds which become useless/almost useless when they lose their main weapon... they also should waste space for some energy backup, with some melee they could always be a threat, it could save podspace used for the backup weapon on some builds

There are quite a few ammo dependent builds, and asymmetrical builds, good pilots though will protect that side like no other. The issue here is when you charge in to use your melee weapon you effectively cut off a line of fire from your teammates to the target.

#202 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:19 AM

Even putting punch/kick options in means a 'Mech is no longer truly out until it's lost both arms and one leg with all guns (and if it has jump jets, even then it's got a damaging option).

And every 'Mech has an option for point defense. Designs like the Atlas get the final piece of their close-combat complement- being able to deliver PPC-damage punches or AC/20-level kicks to go with the common AC/20 + SRM barrages...something it will outdo the handless Dire Wolf in, for once. A full set of arm actuators becomes a virtue rather than a liability.

#203 Commander A9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:50 PM

I believe PGI did mention that they were considering this...

#204 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:51 PM

View PostCommander A9, on 22 September 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

I believe PGI did mention that they were considering this...

They were, but at the same time, they don't see it being in the game, in the foreseeable future.

#205 Gothic Salad

• Pip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:24 AM

Would be nice to be able to kick/Punch a close mech once all your weapons are gone/offline. Many a game of battletech played back in the day ended up with kicks to mechs waist deep in water or punches to an atlas torso with my shadowhawk 2k in it death assault lol.

#206 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 06:17 AM

Only way I would be alright with is if they allow all mechs that have Hands & are not Clan to have these weapons while also adding DFA.

oh and to be able to replace Melee weapons on mechs like Axe/hatchetman in favor of other weapons.

I am not trying to act like a jerk I really do mean it, as it would give them a great feel of mercs* who may own them might not have access to the melee weapon replacements if the weapon is damaged or destroyed.

*I am talking lore wise

#207 Leopardo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:46 AM

we need this weapons!

#208 AbsUserName

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 182 posts
  • LocationStar Leagues afield.

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:07 AM

Now, with destrutible trees, we could have the club melee option: a worthy variation of lumberjackwarrior online, pick up a tree and slam away.

Also, it should be possible to pick up the arm from that atlas on bog, those half melted mechs from therma, the crash site on frozen/tourmaline...

Just imagine the situation: some enemy just blew up your arm, and of course the arm is now picked up and used to beat the enemy senseless... Golden.

And an official, mech lab hatchet, too. And swords.

For PGI's side, custumizations galore: MC-only axes (default on the Axman, of course, like the Heavy Metal included horns), chains, nunchakus, brass knuckles, etc

#209 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 06:29 AM

I'd settle for any Mech with hand actuators being able to punch, but the Hatchetman and Axeman would be nice additions.

#210 Lanstrike

• PipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:49 PM

Robot Jox For The Win.

#211 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:13 AM

View PostLanstrike, on 19 December 2015 - 03:49 PM, said:

Robot Jox For The Win.

I admit Robot Jox was painful, but any melee is almost always better than no melee

#212 Russhuster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 722 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:59 AM

meele Weaps maybe but when then only in fiting chassis like a Tomahawk the IS Omnimechs run most similar builds just quirk orientated,..there s no divergence these meele weaps could give some chassis an individuality,.. not to be the average IS quirk-bucket

Aunt Edit(h) says but !! NO !! ninja-style moves

Edited by Russhuster, 20 December 2015 - 05:00 AM.

#213 Dugra Dugrasson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 139 posts
  • LocationKris Kringle's Resistance Bunker

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:39 PM

If you introduce melee weapons, you must reintroduce 'Mech collision. There's a reason why collision was killed within the first two months of the Closed Beta. PGI has enough to balance with weapons and Ghost Heat. Do we really want to throw another C.F. at them? Nevermind the "I am Clan, why can I not melee" threads.

All that said, the Charger is a fun 'Mech to use in TT.

Edited by nodebate, 20 December 2015 - 04:39 PM.

#214 Skyswipe

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:52 PM

This is a good idea. Besides melee is in the books and the table top game. It only makes sense, you could even come out with new mechs based around melee.

#215 Brian Davion

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:42 PM

I want my Hachetman!

#216 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:10 AM

View PostRusshuster, on 20 December 2015 - 04:59 AM, said:

meele Weaps maybe but when then only in fiting chassis like a Tomahawk the IS Omnimechs run most similar builds just quirk orientated,..there s no divergence these meele weaps could give some chassis an individuality,.. not to be the average IS quirk-bucket

Aunt Edit(h) says but !! NO !! ninja-style moves

Any mech with hand actuators could pick up a melee weapon weighing in at 20% of it's total weight, and use it.

I remember a friend had a crazy bonkers Atlas that had a shield, sword, huge XL engine, supercharger, TSM, and a few other upgrades + some lasers to cook the TSM. When that thing charged it could clear half a board at max speed. It was ludicrous.

View Postnodebate, on 20 December 2015 - 04:39 PM, said:

If you introduce melee weapons, you must reintroduce 'Mech collision. There's a reason why collision was killed within the first two months of the Closed Beta. PGI has enough to balance with weapons and Ghost Heat. Do we really want to throw another C.F. at them? Nevermind the "I am Clan, why can I not melee" threads.

All that said, the Charger is a fun 'Mech to use in TT.

The traditional answer is usually "You're clan, that's why you can't melee". Clan pilots SUCKED at melee, the IS practically won whenever they closed into melee. Especially since the overwhelming majority of clan mechs didn't have hands with which to hold melee weapons. They could punch, and risk damage their guns, though.

The brutality of melee combat never left the IS, while the clanners loved their long range engagements.

#217 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:53 PM

give me Thunder LRM`s Posted Image Mines ...what make a melee Mech against a Aerospacefighter ? 3 t for a Axe, or for AC5 ammo?!
In the Boardgame , Melee weapons make sense ...in the Boardgame a Pilot can not aim to the Cockpit or Arm , by a still standing 8m Height Mech in 30m Range Posted Image
in Real Fight , you can hold in 30m the AC20 in the Face of the Axeman...usefull like the Samuraisword of the Japanese Officiers in the WWII or the Lanciers in the American Civil War Posted Image or a Knife by a Firefight or a Melee Weapon on a Abrams tank

In The Boardgame , im can take a 3t Tree as a Club , and not have 3t more Ammo for this Arm

Edited by CSJ Ranger, 23 December 2015 - 03:41 AM.

#218 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:24 AM

View PostCSJ Ranger, on 22 December 2015 - 09:53 PM, said:

give me Thunder LRM`s Posted Image Mines ...what make a melee Mech against a Aerospacefighter ? 3 t for a Axe, or for AC5 ammo?!
In the Boardgame , Melee weapons make sense ...in the Boardgame a Pilot can not aim to the Cockpit or Arm , by a still standing 8m Height Mech in 30m Range Posted Image
in Real Fight , you can hold in 30m the AC20 in the Face of the Axeman...usefull like the Samuraisword of the Japanese Officiers in the WWII or the Lanciers in the American Civil War Posted Image or a Knife by a Firefight or a Melee Weapon on a Abrams tank

In The Boardgame , im can take a 3t Tree as a Club , and not have 3t more Ammo for this Arm

You always could aim at a section. It's a standard called shot, and had an aiming penalty, and if you had a targeting computer, then the weapons slaved to it could aim anywhere with a much easier test. Except for aiming at the cockpit.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 23 December 2015 - 04:24 AM.

#219 Famine

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:11 AM

On one hand, I voted yes, I would like to see this in the game, any variety, and any series of combat options is preferable to me.

On the other hand, it'll probably never happen. I'm already having flashbacks to the early days of the closed beta, when at one point, the meta was a dragon with the biggest engine you could handle, literally ramming everything above, at or below its weight class over, and then preventing it from standing up while the rest of the team just pours fire into it. Hilarious, but not particularly fun for either party after the first time.

Melee could work if you didn't have the ability to knock mech's over, but then you need to figure how to balance it. If its too weak, nobody will bother with it, and the designs based around melee combat would be useless, what with having tonnage wrapped up in a heavy melee weapon. If its too strong, you'd see a couple weeks of complaining on par with the arctic cheetah, as someone takes a centurion with a max size XL engine and starts smashing everything in the face with that shield arm. Its a delicate balance to add a whole new form of combat into the game at this later stage of development.

#220 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:07 PM

Most punching wouldn't knock over a Mech, just rattle the pilot. It still has potential.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users