36 replies to this topic

#1 NyxOOX

• PipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 46 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:35 AM

I just had the misfortune of falling into a round where literally 4 out of our 8 mechs were AFK. I could easily deal with it when it was just one, or very rarely, 2 mechs, but when a whole lance-worth of mechs is AFK, something needs to be done.

#2 ArmandTulsen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:49 AM

That is bad. Way more so than usual. Looks like it's a trend.

#3 Bloody Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:52 AM

Chill, they already said a solution to discourage afking is on it's way. No ETA tho sadly.

#4 elbloom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:57 AM

players with under 30 damage should get no xp, cbills, whatsoever. By god please make the reward system more damage dependant !
Some guys concentrate their *** off and carry the whole team to victory while the others tard around exploring the map ? and get same cbill reward ? silly, annoying, stupid game mechanic.

Don´t punish these players, simply not reward them with something they don´t deserve, voila, problem solved.
Griefers, afkfarmers and Hello Kittys would be broke in no time and need to actually HELP the team to get back on their legs financially.

Edited by elbloom, 21 November 2012 - 03:00 AM.

#5 Sean von Steinike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:59 AM

It was a group of pre-mades afk. :)

#6 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:59 AM

Well if the AFK is Legit Be kind. If not, Do as we do. Give the player a repair bill! :)

#7 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:10 AM

What about a system where for every second the game did not receive any input, a random mech part is destroyed.

No more AFK.

:)

#8 Oy of MidWorld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts
  • LocationEutin Prime, -222.66:151.22

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

I'll start killing AFK's.

#9 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Fix pre made **** and C Bill rewards and there might be a reason to not go AFK.

After selling my first bought mech I need to get more money so I just drop in, go rush them and die. Then ESC to quit match and switch to another trial mech. I found that doing this over and over is faster than going AFK and can help out some, not like I will make a difference against pre mades anyway.

#10 QuiGonTom

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

View PostOy of MidWorld, on 21 November 2012 - 03:23 PM, said:

I'll start killing AFK's.

This, I'll take the cbill and xp hit. Unless their ping is ridiculous I might start popping them.

Edited by QuiGonTom, 21 November 2012 - 03:33 PM.

#11 Green Mamba

• Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Sometimes you do get kicked though ..I have been disconected 8 times since been playing (9 days) 6 were C2D other two were ISP drops.It does happen...

I am not sure how the would enforce it though.Maybe for no movement or non firing,non typing basicly any non action they could drop you from game and insert another player of appropriate weight class,although depending how late in game this is it might not be fair.Non damaged fresh mech and all.

#12 JohnnyC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationSpearfish, South Dakota

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

Hey guys... before you start coring every mech that is afk, please realize that some of us are suffering from chronic crashes to desktop. We're not afk... we're sitting here with dissatisfied looks on our faces as our mechs go into battle without us in the pilot seat.

Some of those folks might be afk'ers... there are people in the forums who have bragged about going afk... but that isn't all of us. So easy on those trigger fingers... I suppose it's the same either way... but if you hang out to pop our cockpits, I hope you were planning on a base defensive strategy, because the opposing team is gaining ground on you while you're farting around TK'ing my mech.

#13 Streeter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

View Postwintersborn, on 21 November 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

Fix pre made **** and C Bill rewards and there might be a reason to not go AFK.

After selling my first bought mech I need to get more money so I just drop in, go rush them and die. Then ESC to quit match and switch to another trial mech. I found that doing this over and over is faster than going AFK and can help out some, not like I will make a difference against pre mades anyway.

Thanks for helping improve the MWO gaming experience. :(

#14 Weirdjedi

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

Agreed. Have you realized the number of players who have encountered more problems since the last patch? Launching a match with 4 fps, a black screen, golden blur, an instant graphical crash, client suddenly crashing straight to desktop, blocks covering up your interface, no HUD system, or network disconnects are all issues I have personally encountered.

Just because I'm moving around doesn't mean I'm actually physically there. It is better to run blindly into the enemy, spot shots, or even sit on the base than to remove yourself entirely from the game.

Why, I have even run into cases where our base was being captured from another area, had no enemies whatsoever when a matched started, an enemy's base that could not be captured, and new players who had no idea how to move their mech.

Things happen. It is too bad this game wasn't more stable at the moment. Maybe you would see less afk mechs.

#15 Alfred VonGunn

• 1,772 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,AZ

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

We deal with it buy shooting Both arms and a leg off each of them when we cap a base.. Plus if we can tell by their load out they don't have an xl engine we shoot the torsos off to:)

#16 Terran123rd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lumberjack
  • The Lumberjack
  • 435 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

View Postelbloom, on 21 November 2012 - 02:57 AM, said:

players with under 30 damage should get no xp, cbills, whatsoever. By god please make the reward system more damage dependant !
Some guys concentrate their *** off and carry the whole team to victory while the others tard around exploring the map ? and get same cbill reward ? silly, annoying, stupid game mechanic.

Don´t punish these players, simply not reward them with something they don´t deserve, voila, problem solved.
Griefers, afkfarmers and Hello Kittys would be broke in no time and need to actually HELP the team to get back on their legs financially.

Yeah, and punish those people who are legitimately playing, but are unable to score more than 4 or 5 damage. Even that helps the team you know. There's a reason that things like spotting enemies get you extra C-Bills.

Beyond that, some people do get legitimately kicked, crash, or get bugs and have to quit. Some people get cr@p FPS and can barely move around, much less shoot straight.

Punishing the innocent majority to try to control the guilty minority is wrong.

#17 Mr Mantis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationCouch

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

After the last patch i have loaded a game where i could not see anything black screen, i could quit the match but not see anything so i just hoped my controles worked and i tried to run around in a circle. I have seen other mechs doing this before it happened to me and i though they were just afk. so once they get issues like that fixed a report for afk, or just avoid player button would help.

#18 Marithiel

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

So last night I had the black screen bug and also a new (to me) yellow screen bug when dropping in game. All I could do was powerdown as I couldn't see anything to play.

Not all AFK players are intentional.

#19 Fabe

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

View Postelbloom, on 21 November 2012 - 02:57 AM, said:

No,that will be too unfair to those who honestly try but end up having bad luck and don't managed to score much damage before getting killed. I myself have had plenty of games where I got eliminated beforew I could even do 20 points of damage. I took part in the battle and fought so I should get the full win/lose payout plus what ever bonuses I earn before dieing ,not everyone is 'leet' and they shouldn't be punished for it if they actually took part in the battle no matter how poorly they did.

Edited by Fabe, 21 November 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#20 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

View PostBloody Moon, on 21 November 2012 - 02:52 AM, said:

Chill, they already said a solution to discourage afking is on it's way. No ETA tho sadly.

I don;t think that the majority of "AFKers" are farming. I think they are dropping to desktop/mechlab or getting the blackscreen bug. Oddly, I have had a lot more stability since the patch, but most of my friends are crashing much more often.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users