I'm Sick To Death Of All The Moaning

88 replies to this topic

#81 Xerxys

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

I've seen a lot of posts that don't rage about anything. They simply point out and (almost always) have proof that something is broken. Months later PGI does something to completely slap them in the face regardless of the person having a healthy number of outspoken supporters. This is when people use their opinion to refute what is already been shown to be correct and given proven true. At this point is when people start raging on and on.

Now while I agree with you that without PGI there is no MWO you have to acknowledge that without BattleTech there is no MechWarrior and without both of those their is no fan/community support and PGI would never have gotten the money to even make MWO.

Every bit of constructive criticism I have seen since I started playing during the 2nd round of closed beta testers is that it doesn't work! It's completely ignored, but raging and a community outcry generally does. Example? This latest missile debacle. Perhaps these forum ragers wouldn't exist if PGI ever answered to the community about particular issues, or at least the major ones, instead of just ignoring them and doing whatever they want.

I'm not excusing people who rage, and if I'm tired enough I find myself doing it from time to time as well. My shame, but you have to realize how frustrating it is for people who play(ed) BT TT or the other MechWarrior titles to come here and see a mockery being made of something they truly love. MWO is based off of BT TT whether you want to admit it or not. BT TT was the foundation of the MechWarrior games, and therefor PGI should adhere much closer to the way TT played out.

It's PGI that wants to make sure that heat is an issue and to a small degree, I agree. However, in BT TT, the only mech configurations I remember actually having to worry about heat were pure/heavy reliance energy mechs. It is their ammo and the other weapons have their ammo already. Heat really played a small role in the TT game and really should here as well. Fire control should be more about maintaining your ammo for large scale encounters for ammo users and heat capacity per engagement for energy mechs. This is just one of the issues I see most on the forums.

IMHO PGI should keep as close as possible to BT TT rules where game mechanics come in. Things like bobble-heads, camo, 3rd person view, economy, etc.... is completely up to PGI and the community. If PGI wants to carry the MW name for marketing and to gain it's initial financial support it should have a responsibility to bring forth a MW game, not this. And don't pull off the "it's only beta" or rules don't cross well speech. The rules can cross well enough and despite being brought up almost immediately by the first round close beta testers, PGI ignored it and keep trying to correct issues elsewhere. PGI altered one aspect of game mechanics and it threw off the entire game. This should have been addressed by PGI. They should have either corrected everything and tried again or at least posted why it failed when they tested it. IMO the community would behave a bit better if it felt that PGI at least listened. Instead they get frustrated and let their emotions get the better of them.

Was this serene enough for you? Does it come off as a "rage"? Is it in any way degrading? Is it bad criticism? Not constructive enough?

Edited by Xerxys, 21 November 2012 - 01:51 PM.

#82 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Ferret -

Ok yeah just dismiss a game as a "hobby" it's not important. First world problems, right.

So you're basically saying people should just be calm and show maturity and not react passionately about anything in a negative way. That really happens in the real world. I dunno what padded room you're in, but whatever man. Way to go, you tell em. That'll change things on the internet.

Right, I got you, but you still don't got my point, clearly never will. Hope this diatribe isn't too big for your old eyes.

Thanks Dr. Phil.

Edited by Soy, 21 November 2012 - 01:30 PM.

#83 FerretGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

I hear you, I agree with a lot of what you say, I just think you were arguing with a position I don't hold.

I'm okay with passion. I love this freakin' game. I'd never dismiss gaming. I love gaming.

I'm sorry you read that sort of negativity into what I was saying. I hope you'll trust me when I say these things that you think about me and what I was saying are not accurate.

Xerxys: not sure why you're getting on my case. Yes, I understand what you're saying, and I agree with you, there is plenty of constructive criticism made around here. I simply think the "okay that's it, [insert single game feature here] wasn't implemented correctly, I'm uninstalling the client/I'm done with this game" doesn't really fit the bill.

The "I'm done with this game" ones are silly to me... maybe this is why. Have you ever seen the Larry Miller standup bit "The Five Levels of Drinking"? He keeps saying he's never drinking again, and ends with "...and this time, I mean it!" I always hear that appended: "I'm done with this game... and this time, I mean it!" ;)

ETA: there was a bit of a ninja edit in there, Xerxys, while I was posting <_< Just to let you know, I rocked an original BT box set. I understand and agree with your wanting things to adhere to TT, and I've argued for the same.

Edited by FerretGR, 21 November 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#84 random51

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

People who are "sick of moaning" should help themselves by avoiding forums for beta products, beta products that are already taking people's money.

No point in arguing about the moaning itself, you might as well complain about all the rain. You have as good a chance of stopping the rain as you do the moaning.

#85 RadioKies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 419 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

View PostTriggerhippy, on 21 November 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

.... So nothing useful or relevant to offer??? no? just anoher pointless troll comment then - why don't you go back under your little wooden bridge and think of something either useful or at least witty to say. Till then why don't you practice your reading skills - stay away from the writing bit for now.

Go cry me a river with your "hurr, you try to troll"... If you can't see the lesson in my post you need to learn how to read.
If you really think my post is more worthless then some others that I've seen in this topic I really can't take you serious.

#86 Triggerhippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 415 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe pivotal locus of the Universe

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostRadioKies, on 21 November 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

Go cry me a river with your "hurr, you try to troll"... If you can't see the lesson in my post you need to learn how to read.
If you really think my post is more worthless then some others that I've seen in this topic I really can't take you serious.

Wow, another content free post - lol you have quite the knack for it!

my point... we are having a discussion on a topic, your prior comment you just made a random comment about KDR's which has nothing to do with the topic I posted - hence the learn to read comment - sorry if that wasn't obvious for you. Again your latest post has zero to do with the topic and is instead little more than "vacant noise".

please feel free to think up something better and try again.

:(

#87 RadioKies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 419 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

View PostTriggerhippy, on 21 November 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

Wow, another content free post - lol you have quite the knack for it!

my point... we are having a discussion on a topic, your prior comment you just made a random comment about KDR's which has nothing to do with the topic I posted - hence the learn to read comment - sorry if that wasn't obvious for you. Again your latest post has zero to do with the topic and is instead little more than "vacant noise".

please feel free to think up something better and try again.

:(

5+3=53 :(

#88 SamizdatCowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Completely agree with OP. Game development is hard and takes time, and PGI is doing the best they can... we should give them the benefit of the doubt, air our complaints in a mature way, justify them, and give them time to respond.

Certainly it can be frustrating at times when there are problems with the game, and I'm sure I've been guilty of posting threads which were a little too acerbic in tone (sorry PGI!), but yeah as the saying goes: "You get more with honey than with vinegar."

Edited by SamizdatCowboy, 21 November 2012 - 04:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users