289 replies to this topic

#1 JokerVictor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 515 posts
  • LocationA happy place far from this bitter wasteland

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

Because they weren't bad enough, they got buffed. After 4 games in a row of facing at least 3 of them on the enemy team... I'm getting incredibly ******* sick of this. For god's sake PGI, stop encouraging this FOTM mech design.

Perhaps you could actually code the streaks to behave like they should, instead of being a ridiculous lock-on weapon that never misses. What's the point of taking any other close range weapons? What's this going to be like when you put Strk 4's & 6's in? They also happen to be the only weapon that's not effected by the terribad netcode, which basically guarantees them a victory if they get close to you. Seriously, change this, it's ruining the damn game (among other things).

#2 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

View PostJokerVictor, on 21 November 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

Because they weren't bad enough, they got buffed. After 4 games in a row of facing at least 3 of them on the enemy team... I'm getting incredibly ******* sick of this. For god's sake PGI, stop encouraging this FOTM mech design.

Perhaps you could actually code the streaks to behave like they should, instead of being a ridiculous lock-on weapon that never misses. What's the point of taking any other close range weapons? What's this going to be like when you put Strk 4's & 6's in? They also happen to be the only weapon that's not effected by the terribad netcode, which basically guarantees them a victory if they get close to you. Seriously, change this, it's ruining the damn game (among other things).

While I agree that they are probably a bit too effective for the amount of mass they require, they're at kind of a happy medium right now between two patches ago (always CT all the time), and last patch (where they didn't really do much at all).

I think it's kind of hilarious to watch the missiles orbiting fast-moving jenners though.

#3 Pale Jackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 786 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

SSRM2s were awful last patch. I fired a pair of SSRM2s and they missed a legged Catapult.

They should hit always, but their hit pattern should be diffuse.

As for SSRM4's and 6's - they will be balanced the same way Clan technology is. Hopefully via Battle Values, increased heat, or something else.

#4 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

This thread is specifically for those who turn their Cats into "Streak SRM6" boats (3 streak 2's per arm).

They are very fun and easy to kill from 350 meters, but it's more fun to shoot their ears off and make them get angry at themselves for not mounting backup lasers.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 21 November 2012 - 12:21 PM.

#5 JokerVictor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 515 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

The problem is the lock-on mechanic. It completely removes skill from the equation. You don't even have to be a crafty a pilot to completely demolish someone, and if you are a crafty pilot you'll walk away from almost every fight completely unscathed. Chain fire + torso rotation = overwhelming victory. Besides the fact that they never miss, what other weapon allows you to fire at someone while your torso is twisted away from them?

Please change them to something you have to aim, that's all that's needed.

Edit: MW4 did them fairly well, they fly to whatever panel they are aimed at, and are guaranteed to hit it.

Edited by JokerVictor, 21 November 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#6 MrPenguin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 21 November 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

This thread is specifically for those who turn their Cats into "Streak SRM6" boats (3 streak 2's per arm).

They are very fun and easy to kill from 350 meters, but it's more fun to shoot their ears off and make them get angry at themselves for not mounting backup lasers.

Too bad my 4P literally melts them off before you can use them ;)

#7 VelvetElvis

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

The downside to streaks is that they require lock, are single-target, and have a short range. Cats have a large cockpit hitbox and literally every single weapon on the Streakapult is contained in two huge, relatively weak pods.

Build a mech with a gauss rifle and wander through the game blowing the ears off streak cats and laughing; they will not even be able to hurt you. The tradeoff for insane close-range firepower is absolutely zero long-range firepower, required locks, and single-target capability only. If you and a buddy can focus down a streakapult together, you will kill it before it even gets through your armor.

Streaks may be a wee bit OP, mostly due to netcode ATM, but the huge deal that people are making out of this is just nuts. I fly a CN-9A and have never had an issue with a streak cat except on rare occasions where they ambush me. When they help out the netcode to make lasers more viable, the over-reliance on streaks will disappear. I honestly think the only thing they need to change or fix with them is the amount of cockpit-shake from incoming.

Out of curiosity, I was away for a bit, what was this most recent buff to streaks? Does group-firing more than one launcher still make some of them miss, or did they change that back?

#8 Oinkage

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 84 posts

JokerVictor, SSRM cats can be beaten. They have some specific weaknesses. Specifically, you can power down and they cannot shoot you at all unless they mount standard SRM as well. Additionally, they are on the Catapult chassis which is very easy to head shot. Also, their weapon pods are all on their arms in huge boxes. Shoot them off... Currently, the spread of damage across armor is much better than all hits on CT. I do not currently own an A1, but I have used it in the past. I find them too easy to disarm or disable to consider in a serious match environment.

#9 Asakara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 977 posts

View PostJokerVictor, on 21 November 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

Perhaps you could actually code the streaks to behave like they should, instead of being a ridiculous lock-on weapon that never misses.

http://www.sarna.net...issile_Launcher

Originally developed in 2647, the Streak SRM Launcher is relatively similar to the standard SRM launcher but linked to a unique Targa-7 fire control system. This system is designed to guarantee a hit against any target onto which the pilot can get a lock, a special feature of this system preventing the weapon from firing at a target when there is no lock-on, saving ammunition by preventing shots that would miss anyway.

#10 Dagger6T6

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationcockpit

how can a shortranged mech, with limited ammo, housing all weapons in giant garbage dumpsters mounted to the either side of the head be that big of a threat? soon as you box that Cat's ears off, he is declawed

#11 SpiralRazor

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

SSRMS 4 and 6 ..yeah...you wont be firing them NEARLY as often as you would the 2s.

And agreed with Prosperity, Streak Cats are a niche mech, and with a max of 270 range well.....if your a light or medium and in there brawling with them, you kinda get what you asked for.

#12 Star Colonel Mustard Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 488 posts
  • LocationNarnia

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

The whole point of streaks is that they always hit the target. (though MWO still allows newbies to fire them into hillsides)

#13 SpiralRazor

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

View PostJokerVictor, on 21 November 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

The problem is the lock-on mechanic. It completely removes skill from the equation. You don't even have to be a crafty a pilot to completely demolish someone, and if you are a crafty pilot you'll walk away from almost every fight completely unscathed. Chain fire + torso rotation = overwhelming victory. Besides the fact that they never miss, what other weapon allows you to fire at someone while your torso is twisted away from them?

Please change them to something you have to aim, that's all that's needed.

Lock mechanic is a negative bro. Maybe you should read how they are supposed to work before commenting? I recommend Sarna.net.

#14 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

The only issues I have now are that they're a bit too effective for their tonnage/heat/ammo consumption.
Also as they are currently, clan SSRM4s and 6s will be complete and utter r*pe.

That and if you run 6x SSRM2s in chain-fire mode I hate you. Between the smoke and the shake it's impossible to see anything except the HUD.

Edited by One Medic Army, 21 November 2012 - 12:32 PM.

#15 Undead Bane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

I will just leave it here

Posted Image

#16 Dagger6T6

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,362 posts
  • Locationcockpit

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 21 November 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

The only issues I have now are that they're a bit too effective for their tonnage/heat/ammo consumption.

That and if you run 6x SSRM2s in chain-fire mode I hate you. Between the smoke and the shake it's impossible to see anything except the HUD.

agreed the cockpit shake from srm 2 needs to be reduced alot

Edited by Dagger6T6, 21 November 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#17 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 21 November 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

While I agree that they are probably a bit too effective for the amount of mass they require, they're at kind of a happy medium right now between two patches ago (always CT all the time), and last patch (where they didn't really do much at all).

I think it's kind of hilarious to watch the missiles orbiting fast-moving jenners though.

I agree. Last patch Streak cats were a joke and my 2x SSRM2 on my Hunchback 4SP would regularly only hit with 3/4 missiles on an Awesome at point blank range... Now at least they hit.

#18 JokerVictor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 515 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 21 November 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

This is specifically what I'm referring to. And because of the lock-on mechanic, which is apparently a downside, there's no way to effectively stop them from shooting you... apart from disarming them, which apparently is fun and easy when you can't see anything. Man, I must really suck.

#19 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

I just shoot them in the face if I'm in my Atlas. If I'm in my 4sp, I remove their ears. It really isn't that much of a problem.

#20 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

View PostDagger6T6, on 21 November 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

agreed the cockpit shake from srm 2 needs to be reduced alot

Your sights don't really shake just your view. Stay calm and keep your fire up. I've ruined Streak Cats in point blank combat as their DPS is mediocre for a close combat mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users