Dear Pgi, Uac5's Are Perfect

113 replies to this topic

#101 Gristle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationN. E. Kentucky

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

View PostSkyCake, on 21 November 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

the UAC5 is what i expect an AC to be..quick firing cannons that make your opponent feel as though he is catching hell, absolutelty shredding them mechs apart. i put two on my atlas and i am positively tearing mechs apart...

i still prefer AC20 on smaller mechs like hunchie, so hopefully AC20 can get some love now!!!

So how do you like those UAC/5 now?

#102 Fenix0742

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 265 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

UAC/5 maybe a bit too strong, but people are having fun? Nerf 2 days later!

NARC still useless months after implementation? Eh, we'll fix it soon*

*Never.

#103 Osiris1975

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostSkyCake, on 21 November 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

the UAC5 is what i expect an AC to be..quick firing cannons that make your opponent feel as though he is catching hell, absolutelty shredding them mechs apart. i put two on my atlas and i am positively tearing mechs apart...

i still prefer AC20 on smaller mechs like hunchie, so hopefully AC20 can get some love now!!!

Fear not, Sky Cake! PGI has heard the celebratory gunfire of your uac5 into the air and have nerfed "tweaked" it from a 1 in 10 jam rate to 1 in 4 jam rate. Enjoy!

#104 Black Ivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

Laser and PPCs are useless, SSRM are OP, double headsinks are not near as good as they should be, but the UACs get the first nerv. Totally wrong priorities here.

#105 Mu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 22 November 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

I think we'll probably lengthen unjam time somewhat, maybe increase the chance of a jam. Not too much though.

Frankly, the UAC-5 was the most underrated weapon we had for MONTHS. I had a successful Dragon build (back when it was declared they were 'useless') that was centred around a single UAC-5. Sometimes I almost miss that Mech...

Hey, Left Hand? Can you maybe get in touch with Right Hand sometime before making posts like this? It's coming off as deliberately antagonizing a playerbase that's already pretty unhappy with having to wallow in a pit of bugs for weeks.

#106 GrabbleRus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 168 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

There're 3 classes of mechs now.
1 Class - They have x2 UAC5
2 Class - They have SSRMs
3 class - Trash i.e. everything else

#107 Kurayami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 916 posts
  • LocationSochi

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

View PostGrabbleRus, on 22 November 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

There're 3 classes of mechs now.
1 Class - They have x2 UAC5
2 Class - They have SSRMs
3 class - Trash i.e. everything else

my lrm\ml cat tends to disagree with you. so do the gauss\ac20 cats

#108 Kibble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

View PostBlack Ivan, on 22 November 2012 - 12:04 PM, said:

Laser and PPCs are useless, SSRM are OP, double headsinks are not near as good as they should be, but the UACs get the first nerv. Totally wrong priorities here.

Were you dropped on your head as a child or are you still a child and are waiting for the drop? Lasers and ppcs useless?? Wrong. SSRMs are OP? Wrong again. DHS? They are fine, learn to manage your heat. The UAC before this what you claim to be a nerf was quite OP but managible to those that were born from the correct gene pool. I'd give examples but it would just fall on deaf ears.

According to you everything is usuless. Except for Guass do you run a Guass Cat?

#109 Mister Haha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

I think we'll probably lengthen unjam time somewhat, maybe increase the chance of a jam. Not too much though.

Frankly, the UAC-5 was the most underrated weapon we had for MONTHS. I had a successful Dragon build (back when it was declared they were 'useless') that was centred around a single UAC-5. Sometimes I almost miss that Mech...

Aye, back in Close Beta I had a DDC with 2 UAC5s and it was rather amazing.

In all honesty, though, the UAC5 never, ever felt quite this powerful. Something else feels very different. Starting to feel akin to LRMs a couple weeks back - fought a few teams recently who have been majority UAC5/AC5.

It does feel slightly OP on damage output as I can have only 10 firepower waltzing around destroying things that have 70 firepower.

#110 Doomie77

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 123 posts
  • LocationModesto, Ca

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

I've been running dual uac/5's since I got into beta 5 months ago. I avoided the gauss hype. I did extremely well with them for a long, long time. The focus is on them becuase people were no longer having to manually unjam them, and could just lay on the trigger. (like macro people could). The new jam cooldown didn't really effect the weapon, it's basically a delayed macro. So they JACKED the jam rate.

Today makes me feel like a convict that's been on the run for 30 years, and finally got nabbed. :P

Although it's still really effective.

Edited by Doomie77, 22 November 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#111 Weiland

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Now, now, Garth. That's not very necessary. I've been using twin UAC's exclusively for the last 24 hours, and a good 1/4 of the time, they jam after the first shot. 1/2 the time, they jam after about three shots. In 4 seconds, one will almost always jam, and then the second one will jam almost as quickly as the first one finished unjamming. For about three or four seconds every 15-20 seconds of firing, I get that sweet spot where both UACs are firing linked, but staggered, at full auto.

I love UACs as they are, but increasing the jam rate or the unjam time would be a mistake, in my [not so] humble opinion. If you're going to increase one, decrease the other in tandem; that is, if you were to change anything, either increase the jam frequency but lower the unjam time, or lower the jam frequency but increase the unjam time. Making both worse would turn a decently balanced weapon into a rather poor choice.

Also, people have to consider something important. In order to run a UAC5 for the match, you have to have at least 6 or 7 tons of ammo. A single UAC will chew through 25 rounds inside of 10 or 12 seconds - that's a whole ton. Twin UACs (as I run) chew through a ton of ammo in about five seconds or so. This is why my CTX-4X carries a whopping 15 tons of UAC ammo - because I never reach the end of a decent match without coming down to my last ton of ammo. And I am not wasteful. UACs just have an extreme ammo deficiency.

#112 BFalcon

• 1,120 posts
  • LocationEgremont, Cumbria, UK

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

My only gripe with them is the cockpit bounce when you get hit by them - it makes returning fire a hit-or-miss affair at the best of times, even at short range... engaged at range, you might as well forget it. And this in a 70 ton mech.

For an AC/2 or an AC/5, you need to have vastly reduce it - or when the UAC/10 and UAC/20 comes out, it'll make it an instant "I win" weapon.

On concern I do have, though, is that the ACs in general are too fast-firing... the AC/2 and AC/5 are supposed to be either "I can't fit anything bigger" or "I need a very long range harrassment" weapon and not matching the gauss or AC/20 in damage per second and, at the same time, making return fire nigh on impossible at any kind of ranges.

#113 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

PGI: "WTF! People are starting to enjoy our game?!... Quick, nerf something!!!"

#114 Fenix0742

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 265 posts
  • LocationUSA