Tired Of Cheese. Canon, Please.

60 replies to this topic

#21 RG Notch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

The funny part is people advocating this mode think there would be all kinds of TT builds used, if it's competitive then people would only use the "best" of the TT builds. Folks look at these issues from the wrong angle. It's not that the game forces people into the "best" or FoTM builds, it's the min max mindset in competitive PvP games that limits diversity. There will always be builds that preform superior to others and just as you feel it would be foolish to not run a FoTM build currently, it would be just as foolish to not run whatever TT build ends up being superior. IT this case don't hate the game, hate the player.

#22 MrKnox

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

View PostDesrtfox, on 21 November 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

Except, you do realize, that you are advocating a game mode that purposely restricts players to a small subset of builds?

I'm not saying that a canon mode wouldn't be fun, but let's not pretend it's going to lead to diversity. There will still be flavors of the month, etc. We'll just have a different - and noncustomizable - set of them.

Funny, while you think it would decrease the number of mech variants fielded, I believe it would increase it. Why? Because each "standard variant" fulfils roles. Sure, someone might put a calculator to work on the standard variants, but I believe standards would be a more level playing field than what we have now.

#23 Anastasius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Having a stock mech options for "playdates" so to speak would be cool. It would require a lobby where you can arrange premade vs premade like Mplayer back in the day.

I would love to see this as an option. I think the game would be well served by creating a front end chat and lobbies for playdates and the standard pug random que as well as the 8 v 8 random que.

That and the planetary metagame. The campaign best be fooking amazing.

#24 Felbombling

• 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

View PostsiLve00, on 21 November 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

theres a simple rule : adapt your tactics and gameplay
because you dont want to learn how to be better .. you ask PGI to fix it for you.. after they fixed that problem and you getting "owned " ( i dont like that word ) by the same stock build as your mech.. your coming here and want a gamemode where just ppl with the same skill and same mechs can play ?

serious.. sometimes you just need to learn how to play.. and thats an advice and not a flame.

silVee00, the whole point of the OP is to lament the way it is versus the way it could be. I noticed this last night, as well. When was the last time anyone saw a Dragon running around out there? I played all night last night and didn't see one. The Mech Lab is great for people who love to tweak, but harmful in many ways. That fact has zero to do with the ability of anyone to play the game.

#25 Vermaxx

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 21 November 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

Technically, but the construction rules aren't there to turn K2's in Gauss puking machines, it's to make your own Gauss puking machines. Though I think the modification rules on the other hand worked similar to the mechlab.

Either way I think a Stockmech option would be very interesting. Seems like it would be harder to enforce at the owned mech level unless they added a "revert to stock" button. Which wouldn't be to hard to do I guess. Though it seems like it would be easier if they made the trial mech roster bigger and had a trial only option maybe.

We can't design our own model for every single custom variant we come up with. TT didn't care what your mech "looked" like as long as it had some clear way for you to show people which hex wall it was facing. You could use DICE as mechs if you needed to, or scrabble letters, or DnD minis, or friggin bits of paper with an arrow drawn on them.

Battletech-flavored video games either allow "custom variants" or they don't. MWO does. There is nothing game breaking about a K2 swapping its PPCs AND machine guns AND lasers for two gauss, less armor (or an XL engine), and limited ammo. And the inability to look up or down very far.

Stock mechs were great in tabletop because they often had a gun for every range band. You also couldn't pick where you hit, so when that translates to a FPS video game, optimization becomes useful and often necessary. There will always be optimization.

IF the game lasts into Mystical Community Warfare and does well enough, they might set up a mode for stock mechs only; or make it another server. Until then, feel free to run with all the stock mechs you want.

#26 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostRG Notch, on 21 November 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

The funny part is TT ... TT ... TT

this aint TT?

Kinda the funny part for me... PGI too I think

#27 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostMrKnox, on 21 November 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

Every game I've been in since the new patch, the only mechs I feel I'm facing are:

Lag Jenners (all variants successful)
Cataphracts with god knows how many UAC5's or AC5's.
Streakapaults, again.
Gaussapaults, again.
Barely seeing anything but this.

My stock build Cataphract (the one with the XL engine) just gets violated like its a stationary light.

With all the QQ aside, PGI, could we please get a "canon option" in the future? I would love to join battle with stock builds...

Hey, its why "stock car racing" is so popular, right? Because all those cars have a very similar base to build on..?

The game offers as a key component customization. In fact the key thing that TT and all other versions of MW has offered is customization of your mech. Part of the game is having the strategy to decide how you are going to build out your mech. You have a stock mech and you haven't changed any of the gear, endoskeleton, heat sinks etc. The shear laziness of it makes me think you might want to try a different game. I'd suggest Mechwarrior Tactics, but again, its a MechWarrior game and the key component of the game is CUSTOMIZATION OF YOUR MECHS.

#28 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

View PostVermaxx, on 21 November 2012 - 04:47 PM, said:

IF the game lasts into Mystical Community Warfare

next month isnt it? Or did the timetable get moved?

#29 dF0X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 678 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona, USA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 21 November 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

next month isnt it? Or did the timetable get moved?

I wouldn't hold my breath. lol

#30 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

View PostDesrtfox, on 21 November 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

I wouldn't hold my breath. lol

Its gotten that bad? Ive been away from the news on this one since Borderlands 2 came out I think

#31 MrKnox

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

View PostRhent, on 21 November 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

The game offers as a key component customization. In fact the key thing that TT and all other versions of MW has offered is customization of your mech. Part of the game is having the strategy to decide how you are going to build out your mech. You have a stock mech and you haven't changed any of the gear, endoskeleton, heat sinks etc. The shear laziness of it makes me think you might want to try a different game. I'd suggest Mechwarrior Tactics, but again, its a MechWarrior game and the key component of the game is CUSTOMIZATION OF YOUR MECHS.

My strategy is to choose a mech that can do well at range, up close, and have a mix of laser and ballistics for heat/longevity. This build fails wildly when pitted against strong builds like those I mentioned.

Despite this, friend, please stand down your high alert and flailing of limbs. I simply made a request for a new game mode, and framed the request with a viewpoint which others also hold.

#32 Simon Darkstep

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

I fully endorse more game modes.... including canon mode!

#33 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

I will be fine without any additional modes to the 2nd quarter 2013, IF they will fix all these friggin bugs, that just wreaks people's stats, time and will to play for nothing.

#34 Mazgazine1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 368 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

I hope they add a variety of PVP options to game including specific tonnage, stock, group, non-group etc etc. There is a lot of potential in this, and we don't see it yet.

What they should add is a simple arena with a few obstacles and make FFA with high win/kill rewards. That would be nuts.

I do see lots of phracts, but I'm not complaining. I only have ravens and hunchbacks in my roster at the moment. I normally see a good variety of stuff still.

#35 TheTrap

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

The whole problem wouldn't go away even with canon mechs.

I'd say balance as well as an increased stable of mechs along with a mechlab overhaul (mw4 style hardpoint looks like a start) is what is needed to inject diversity.

Would stop gausscat QQing too. As it currently stands, I don't see the point of omni mechs.

Just think, why would I want one with increased repair costs when I can just boat a ballistic 4X or a missileboat awesome etc.

The lack of hardpoint size limit kills off the fun in the mechlab as I find it really easy to min/Max (no shame here)

#36 4er3BaPa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationSerov, Russia

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

View PostTheTrap, on 21 November 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

The lack of hardpoint size limit kills off the fun in the mechlab

Or upgrade hardpoint size limits - new way for Mc billing

#37 Taizan

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

View PostMrKnox, on 21 November 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

Every game I've been in since the new patch, the only mechs I feel I'm facing are:

Lag Jenners (all variants successful)
Cataphracts with god knows how many UAC5's or AC5's.
Streakapaults, again.
Gaussapaults, again.
Barely seeing anything but this.

Its just your feeling. Although I do see so many Cataphracts (no wonder!) and Streak-Catas, there are enough Centurions, Hunchbacks, Dragons, Awesomes and Atlantes and even sometimes the occasional Raven or Commando.

#38 Serevn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 472 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

I think its you with the issues, i also play with the CTF-3D with adjustments to armor, heatsinks, and ammo, and do great.

#39 Tiger Shark

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

The original poster's idea is great.
When more game play options come out, like tonnage, battle value, etc... based matching, having an option to playing only stock configurations from the BattleTech canon would be fun.

#40 TiberiusHorde

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

Wait a second, explain this one... OP is mad because because the game allows people to quickly determine what works, and people gravitate towards what works? Or is it because there's no reason to run around in gimp stock builds that are often poorly heat balanced?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users