60 replies to this topic

#41 Arcturious

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 785 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

I personally think they have balanced things well. When I play I always see a good selection of mechs from cicadas, ravens, cents, cats, dragons etc. I hardly ever see a game with less than 3-5 different mechs in play.

I think the only reason that is happening is because of the hard point, engine limits and balance systems they have been aiming for with the different variants.

Without these, we would likely see much less variety with even more flavour of the month builds. What I think is good is that by constantly adding mechs and variants there will soon be so many flavour of the month chassis that they add variety themselves. I'm already starting to see a mix of streak cats, guass cats, lrm20 atlas, uac5 boating phracts and hunches etc. Even in the cheese space there are enough options to keep you guessing what you are facing.

Plus I still really enjoy playing my maxed out dragon. Even though a win without dying still leaves me a 100k repair bill lol

#42 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostMrKnox, on 21 November 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

the one with the XL engine

That is your problem. Rip that suicide engine out and you might live longer than 30 seconds.

#43 EXPIDITER

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

Mech variation has always been subject to limitation of weight/hardpoints. Why would anyone want to change the rules?

#44 Obadiah333

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 638 posts
  • LocationWest Coast, Oregon

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

This is a competitive game. Players will naturally gravitate to the best/most effective build. There will never be a "perfectly balanced" system where all kinds of mechs run around with weird weapon combos. The only way you would see that is if everyone earned the same amount of money and xp in each match, no matter what they did. Hence, you will never see it.

#45 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

This was posted in a another thread, by Bartolomeo,
(http://mwomercs.com/...pultac20apults/):

Posted Image

I hope, at least in the future of the game, more time can be devoted to modular 3D designs that dynamically alter the hitboxes. It will make each player's customized Mech look more unique compared to some other build. It is already present in a limited fashion on some Mech's, so I suspect it'll be more robust later on, its just not a high priority at this time.

Edited by General Taskeen, 21 November 2012 - 09:17 PM.

#46 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

View PostStaggerCheck, on 21 November 2012 - 04:45 PM, said:

silVee00, the whole point of the OP is to lament the way it is versus the way it could be. I noticed this last night, as well. When was the last time anyone saw a Dragon running around out there? I played all night last night and didn't see one. The Mech Lab is great for people who love to tweak, but harmful in many ways. That fact has zero to do with the ability of anyone to play the game.

I run a dragon Every Day sir. my record damage in it so far is 700 damage and 5 kills. (did that the morning after the current patch) It's an Animal if you know how to roll in it.

That being said it's no Vomit Kitty (gauss cat).

I also fairly regularly see 5Ns on the field. I hardly ever see 1Ns and 1Cs though, other than mine.

#47 MrKnox

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

View PostTiberiusHorde, on 21 November 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

Wait a second, explain this one... OP is mad because because the game allows people to quickly determine what works, and people gravitate towards what works? Or is it because there's no reason to run around in gimp stock builds that are often poorly heat balanced?

You don't want an explanation. Please run along to other forums where people think you are cool, if such a place exists.

That is your problem. Rip that suicide engine out and you might live longer than 30 seconds.

I've just done this - I am used to running around in an Awesome 9M with the stock PPC build & not having such a problem.

Edited by MrKnox, 22 November 2012 - 12:00 AM.

#48 TiberiusHorde

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

MrKnox said:

You don't want an explanation. Please run along to other forums where people think you are cool, if such a place exists.

Oh no, that makes sense. When I'm trying to figure out why you think it would be a good idea to make the "all stock" game mode, just dismiss me as a troll. Well with that in mind...

I am used to running around in an Awesome 9M with the stock PPC build

There's your problem. Stop using an awesome.

#49 MrKnox

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

View PostTiberiusHorde, on 22 November 2012 - 12:15 AM, said:

Oh no, that makes sense. When I'm trying to figure out why you think it would be a good idea to make the "all stock" game mode, just dismiss me as a troll. Well with that in mind...

There's your problem. Stop using an awesome.

You were dismissed as a troll when you broke out the "u mad bro" nonsense mate. Bye bye.

#50 Dr Killinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

View PostDakkath, on 21 November 2012 - 04:12 PM, said:

IMO, I think that once the netcode is fixed up good, the light mechs wont be near as much of a thorn in your side.

Yup. Dying for the netcode to be fixed, lights are pretty much impossible to kill without a specific build now.

Cataphract AC builds aren't that bad except for the screen shake that basically 'stun locks' a pilot. They could tweak that to only occur on lower tonnage mechs, etc.

UAC5 damage is a bit wild, but the shake on AC2s is absurd. I'm sure they shake you just as much, if not more, than an AC20! Their damage is fine though.

#51 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

View PostMrKnox, on 21 November 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

Funny, while you think it would decrease the number of mech variants fielded, I believe it would increase it. Why? Because each "standard variant" fulfils roles. Sure, someone might put a calculator to work on the standard variants, but I believe standards would be a more level playing field than what we have now.

Yeah but some of those roles end up being "sucking".

The variants that get DHS, Endo, XL engines and other perks generally end up being suprerior. There are canon lrm boats, canon laser boats, canon ballistic boats. About the only thing we have that isnt "canon" i think is a streak boat because that would be quite a poor choice in TT i'd imagine.

#52 Greers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 465 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

(...)

I've just seen you are a "Light Moderator". What does that mean? Are there "Dark Moderators" or "Heavy Moderators" or something? Just curious about your Tag ;)

#53 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

Stock battles could be interesting...

If weapons and heat worked in MW:O similar to the game the stock configs were made for. It isn't, and that's suboptimal.

#54 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:45 AM

View PostGreers, on 22 November 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

I've just seen you are a "Light Moderator". What does that mean? Are there "Dark Moderators" or "Heavy Moderators" or something? Just curious about your Tag ;)

Just be scared when you meet one of those Assault Moderators.

#55 John Norad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 524 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:03 AM

Oh I would like this.

Stock Variant Game Mode
- Only stock variants
- 2 Mechs of each class (8v8) / 3 Mechs of each class (12v12)
- Every variant can only be picked once

No boating, no monocultures, just tactics and skill.

On a side note, it's hard to ignore the amount of outright ignorant or hostile replies. Guys, this is a game. Let someone have a different opinion, ok?

#56 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

A stock only gamemode would only be played by very few people.

Mostly because the stock designs are bad and useless. They either have HORRIBLE heat issues, not enough ammo or a bad weapons loadout.

#57 John Norad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 524 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:15 AM

View PostKinLuu, on 22 November 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

A stock only gamemode would only be played by very few people.

First off, this remains to be proven. Apart from that, so what? Once the devs put in additional game modes, creating one more shouldn't be an issue.

View PostKinLuu, on 22 November 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

Mostly because the stock designs are bad and useless. They either have HORRIBLE heat issues, not enough ammo or a bad weapons loadout.

Except the last point, this is a problem of game mechanics and should be addressed seperately.

#58 Jeff K Notagoon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:26 AM

View PostMrKnox, on 21 November 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

Every game I've been in since the new patch, the only mechs I feel I'm facing are:

Lag Jenners (all variants successful)
Cataphracts with god knows how many UAC5's or AC5's.
Streakapaults, again.
Gaussapaults, again.
Barely seeing anything but this.

My stock build Cataphract (the one with the XL engine) just gets violated like its a stationary light.

With all the QQ aside, PGI, could we please get a "canon option" in the future? I would love to join battle with stock builds...

Hey, its why "stock car racing" is so popular, right? Because all those cars have a very similar base to build on..?

Sure why not! The playerbase is already going to be separated into 6 different queues, what would doubling it to 12 hurt?

#59 shabowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

View PostKaryudo ds, on 21 November 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

Either way I think a Stockmech option would be very interesting.

I don't. Only a select few mechs would ever be used. Just like in TT.

People have this nostalgia that I understand, but most stock mechs just sucked. By the time TT had the kind of Darwinian process we've seen in MWO you actually start to see more of the stock mech, particularly clan mechs, boating weapons, grouping 2-4 of the same weapons together for use at specific ranges, etc.

#60 MajorLeeHung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 392 posts
  • LocationMerced, CA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

View PostDesrtfox, on 21 November 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

This isn't NASCAR. Adapt or Die. having said that, a canon option would be fun, but PGI has waay too much on their plate to worry about that now.

LIke 3rd person view for the 2% of the player base that are unable to walk and chew bubble gum at the same time? Seriously. fix your ******** game first PGI =D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users