11 replies to this topic

#1 Codejack

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

How is this supposed to work?

So, my Commando runs into an enemy Commando and Cicada, both with ECM. I set mine to counter, but even with TAG on the enemy, I couldn't get a lock until they separated.

Is this WAI? If so, it makes premades WAY more powerful.

#2 Smeghead87

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

TAG only works if you are outside of their disrupt bubble, which means 180m away.
So your ECCM cancels 1 of their ECM, but it you are within 180 of the still active ECM, then your TAG won't work.

#3 Lykaon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

View PostSmeghead87, on 05 December 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

TAG only works if you are outside of their disrupt bubble, which means 180m away.
So your ECCM cancels 1 of their ECM, but it you are within 180 of the still active ECM, then your TAG won't work.

This is correct.

#4 Codejack

Dezgra

• 1,530 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

View PostSmeghead87, on 05 December 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

I don't think so; even after I TAGed them both, I still couldn't lock.

#5 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

ECM has been designed as a counter/replacement for player skill.

So either get some other guys with ECM and run around spastically pounding your face against the "fire-all-the-lasers" button, or take a little time off while PGI wraps their head around why removing tactics and information warfare from the game is a bad idea.

I'd advocate the latter.

#6 Prat

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 05 December 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

So either get some other guys with ECM and run around spastically pounding your face against the "fire-all-the-lasers" button, or take a little time off while PGI wraps their head around why removing tactics and information warfare from the game is a bad idea.

I'd advocate the latter.

ROFL,

While I don't agree with you 100% I have to give you props for the funnies :(

I personally like the idea of an ECM just not as it is now. In it's current state it's "Mandatory" and that I don't like.

#7 Smeghead87

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

View PostCodejack, on 05 December 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

I don't think so; even after I TAGed them both, I still couldn't lock.

Did you see the low signal symbol on the right side of your screen, the words 'Low signal' on your map at the bottom of your screen, and your hud flickering every so often?

If so, you were too close and your TAG will not work.

Edited for spelling

Edited by Smeghead87, 05 December 2012 - 01:46 PM.

#8 Stargazer86

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

I don't quite understand the people that say this gives the game more depth. Perhaps I'm missing something, but isn't it more tactical to actually be able to see the enemy team and then make adjustments based on that information? Think of it like chess. You can see where all your enemy's pieces are (Well, as long as they're scouted, but go with me on this) and you can see the different moves they could possibly make. You use this information to prepare your own counter-moves in an effort to outplay your opponent. It's much harder for both sides since all information is open and available, allowing them to develop counter-counter moves, and counter-counter-counter moves.

Currently, ECM works as if you can only see your own pieces. You're just guessing as to what's going on, moving your pawns without knowing what the other guy is doing. Sure, this replicates the 'fog of war' effect that goes on in modern warfare, but is it more tactical? I wouldn't say so. It basically devolves the game into "Cloak our mechs. Rush them. Whoever has more ECM wins".

In real warfare, scouting is vital. Knowing where enemy positions are is vital. If you have no idea where your opponent is, you're in lots of trouble. Even in RTS games, scouting is absolutely important. knowing what your opponent is doing and preventing them from learning what your doing leads to victory more often than not. It's also easier, since you have more units, and there's rarely a way to negate scouting in those games other than killing the enemy's units.

Here, though, you needn't kill the scouts, since they can't send back any of the information that they've gained unless they're a coordinated team using teamspeak. Even then, they're not getting exact details other than the general grid square of where the enemy was spotted. It's very frustrating and, really, not all that strategic to me.

Edited by Stargazer86, 05 December 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#9 Aaron Knight

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

Passingly related question. Has anyone tried running 2 ECM units in the same mech? Does this work? Can you counter two opposing ECMs this way? Or counter one enemy ecm and continue jamming?

I don't have a mech that will mount an ecm so I thought I'd throw the question out.

Thanks,
Aaron

#10 Smeghead87

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

You cannot load more than one ECM into a mech at a time.

#11 Felix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 656 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

I'd advocate the latter.

I personally am going with the latter.

No point in logging onto the ECM/laser spam fest that MWO has turned into

#12 Elder Thorn

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

I'd advocate the latter.

counter / replacement for player skill?
So you say, dealing with it doesn't belong to player skill?
I sensed it actually added tactics and information warfare, i mean, WARFARE doesnt mean everyone has the same, it also means that everyone is trying to hide information about himself.

i DO agree though, that it is hard for PUGs to deal with ECM. I am still playing in a 4 man team at max, because most people of my unit don't give a **** about this game as long as there aren't any lagfixes and crashfixes and all that stuff and we can handle information pretty good in our group and if we have the time we type it in groupchat aswell.

I think PUGs are being hit hard by this.
It was the same with streak cats though. You weren't able to hide from them, because you can't see **** and run against walls and stuff or you get stuck on some 2 milimeter stone in the ground and you don't realise it because you still can't see anything which is also the reason you can not shoot back and there was no way to communicate to your PUGteam about that in a fast way.
Now the same problem occurs with ECM, which is btw an awesome counter to Streak Cats, because now those guy have actually to watch out not to get to close, while some of those guys just used to circle you in between 0 and 10 meters, running through you constantly so you can'T hit them but they are hitting your torso all the time.

so.. long story short:
Streak Cats were a problem
Now the counter to streak cats is a problem

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users