Age Of Empires

3 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Age of Empires game (11 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favorite AOE?

1. Age of Empires (2 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

2. Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (7 votes [63.64%])

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

3. Age of Mythology (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

4. Age of Empires III (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

5. Age of Empires Online (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 RL Nice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationA computer.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

So who else here remembers this classic RTS series? I own all of them and all their expansions except for Age of Mythology, and that's technically not a part of the series, so I essentially own all the games, and I've certainly played all of them. Unless you're counting the DS games. I don't own those.

Anyways, I think Age of Empires III is unfairly maligned, although that may be because that's the game I started with and the one I played the most. People say it's the Age of Kings recycled, but I personally think the Home City system changed the entire experience of the game. It's mostly the small details and conveniences that made me love it so much- infinite farms, the ability to train five military units at once, no need for villagers to carry resources back to a town center or storehouse, the trading posts and native village alliances were pretty neat, etc. Although I will agree that artillery is overpowered.

I've recently downloaded Age of Empires Online. I've heard a lot of shady things about that game, but I don't see much wrong with it, other than the whole OMG THEY TURNED AGE OF EMPIRES INTO A CARTOON!!!11!!1! thing. Although the grind aspect does seem to be pretty annoying, I like pitting RPG elements into the game and the customization looks interesting. Of course, I've only spent a few hours with the game doing quests, so I don't have a full perspective.

I didn't like the first game. It had a pretty low population cap IIRC and I remember my units constantly dying. And the music in my copy of the game (I have the collection that comes with the first two games and their expansions) doesn't coincide with any soundtrack I found online. Weird.

I do think Age of Kings deserves all of its praise, though. It has possibly the best soundtrack in the entire series.

And I do really like Age of Mythology. but I have always preferred science fiction and fantasy to historical settings. It's a shame it never got a sequel. I gotta buy that some day.

#2 Orcinus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 346 posts
  • LocationYour Left Flank

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

Just got back into playing Age of Empires II recently.
Never played the original or AoE Online, and had fun with Mythology and III, but nothing can top the epicness that was Age of Kings (and Conquerors)

Speaking of Age of Empires II, there's an unofficial expansion coming out next month.
You should check it out!

#3 Voridan Atreides

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

Had so much fun playing AOE 2. I loved those epic elephants lol.

#4 Listless Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

Damn. Now you've gone and made me all nostalgic.

Loved AOE2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users