Abusive Language And Behavior

13 replies to this topic

#1 Valcoer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII Silesia

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

today I was playing mwo with my niece and she was watching me play and reading the chat.
when one of our players decided it was ok to start spouting obscenities over the internal game chat.
I asked the person to moderate their language and was jumped on by another player over how I had no right to even suggest that he moderate his language.
I feel that during closed beta everyone was courteous and polite but now that we are in open beta we need a means of reporting players that are abusive . thank you.

#2 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

Not sure what the **** you are talking about. Every time I try to post an obscene word it end up like this ***************.

#3 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

In-game chat, is not censored. But I agree, a little self restraint when asked nicely would be nice.

-EDIT-

Actually, I think they encourage you to contact them through their support e-mail, when they curse excessively.

Edited by Ryvucz, 21 November 2012 - 09:06 PM.

#4 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

Yeah, you're right. Just tested it in-game. Sorry, I assumed the same filter was in place in the game.

It should be a toggle in preferences.

#5 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

However, reporting people for using "bad" words is not the answer. A "profanity" toggle in the user preferences would fix this without relegating this game to a Nanny/Hall Monitor nightmare.

#6 Valcoer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII Silesia

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

edit

Edited by Valcoer, 22 November 2012 - 12:35 AM.

#7 AceTimberwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • Location春日部市、埼玉県、日本; アメリカ: Arcadia, CA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:12 AM

Well yea the Closed beta Players where there because they wanted to be there. so for the most part pretty polite helpful people. Almost as polite as Guild Wars 2 Players. MWO community has degraded severely since Open Beta. Quite sad really. hopefully with the 8 man groups back we can at least alleviate half of the abusive language by dropping with your friends.

#8 Bryan Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:31 AM

View PostAceTimberwolf, on 22 November 2012 - 02:12 AM, said:

Well yea the Closed beta Players where there because they wanted to be there. so for the most part pretty polite helpful people. Almost as polite as Guild Wars 2 Players. MWO community has degraded severely since Open Beta. Quite sad really. hopefully with the 8 man groups back we can at least alleviate half of the abusive language by dropping with your friends.

Agreed, the majority of players that have been here since closed beta will offer help where needed. There always will be the bad bunch in every community, the only thing you can do about it is to ignore them or report them.

Don't take it to heart.

#9 _Rorschach_

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:32 AM

League of Legends has recently introduced a player rating system that - despite having no ingame effect whatsoever - seems to work pretty well. When the social features are extended that would be a nice thing to have. Plus maybe an option to only drop into games without players with a negative rating.

#10 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • Location春日部市、埼玉県、日本; アメリカ: Arcadia, CA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:35 AM

View Postpack wolf, on 22 November 2012 - 02:32 AM, said:

League of Legends has recently introduced a player rating system that - despite having no ingame effect whatsoever - seems to work pretty well. When the social features are extended that would be a nice thing to have. Plus maybe an option to only drop into games without players with a negative rating.

Yea I like that Idea. I wonder how they could implement something like that here

#11 deadeye mcduck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationOutside the periphery

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:35 AM

If you players continue to be abusive/use abusive language, just report them; support@mwomercs.com Theres no place for such language, but you always get immature persons in online games.

#12 Schrottfrosch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:48 AM

I am sure there is going to be a profanity filter in the game, soon.

I'd even prefer to be able to disable or hide the ingame chat entirely, so that I dont have to use my awesome ignoring skills.

But I have to say regardless of age ratings or whatever - the internet is NOT suited for all audiences! Anonymity leads to antisocial behaviour. It is not likely you meet anyone here in person, so you dont have to worry about consequences - but eventually for being warned by moderators or even getting banned.

In the end if you look at it with a bit of "overseriousness" this game is about being antisocial to each other - I mean whats more antisocial than shooting each other (Americans might disagree here ;) ) ? I also think you have to expect shooters and wargames in general to attract more "aggressive" people.

So I would say keep children away from your "war-"gaming hobby if you dont want them to take notice of profanity and excessive language. Even a word filter can be circumvented if people really want to get their message across...

#13 Latika

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:01 AM

View PostBhael Fire, on 21 November 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

Not sure what the **** you are talking about. Every time I try to post an obscene word it end up like this ***************.

one doesn't have to type **** to sound abusive. i once played in a team with one person using words like "moron" and so on. no **** but still i find it disgusting.

#14 Elder Thorn

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

well... i agree, that this kind of behaviour is just wrong, even though i fall into using some words myself from time to time.

on the other hand... depending on how old that girl was, this game isn't for her anyway.
For the rest, i will just quote this for truth:

View PostSchrottfrosch, on 22 November 2012 - 02:48 AM, said:

I am sure there is going to be a profanity filter in the game, soon.

I'd even prefer to be able to disable or hide the ingame chat entirely, so that I dont have to use my awesome ignoring skills.

But I have to say regardless of age ratings or whatever - the internet is NOT suited for all audiences! Anonymity leads to antisocial behaviour. It is not likely you meet anyone here in person, so you dont have to worry about consequences - but eventually for being warned by moderators or even getting banned.

In the end if you look at it with a bit of "overseriousness" this game is about being antisocial to each other - I mean whats more antisocial than shooting each other (Americans might disagree here ;) ) ? I also think you have to expect shooters and wargames in general to attract more "aggressive" people.

So I would say keep children away from your "war-"gaming hobby if you dont want them to take notice of profanity and excessive language. Even a word filter can be circumvented if people really want to get their message across...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users