• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

If you're running on a laptop, sometimes it won't detect a game application such as MWO as being a 3D application, and will use the generic video card. You can manually open up the video card control panel, (By right-clicking on your desktop) and manually add the application MWOClient.exe by explicitly tell it to use the 'high-performance processor' as the preferred graphics processor for the program. (Instead of using global settings and letting the software auto-select which GPU to use.)
If you play on a desktop, I have a few workarounds that you can try, it has worked for a lot of users.
In addition to keeping your drivers up to date, click on those links to update those as well:
.NET http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=22
C++ http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=5555
DirectX http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=35
*** After this, reboot your computer and install all available Windows updates
*** Start MechWarrior Online see how your performance is in-game.
*** If the problem still persist, create yourself another account with no admin privileges.
*** Go to: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts
*** Create yourself a new user account (with no admin privileges)
*** Log off the current account you're in, then log back with the new account you created
*** Now run the game "As Administrator". (Right-click on the MWO icon to make this option appear)
If that doesn't cut it, you can clear the shaders in your shader folder. Click on the hard drive where you installed the game, then go to: Program files(x86)/MechWarriorOnline/USER/ From there, delete the "shaders" folder. It will generate new shaders in your next game and may solve your graphic glitch. Repeat this operation if need be, until we find a permanent fix.
You can also modify the Anti-aliasing handling setup of your graphic driver to "application controlled".
** Right click on your desktop to bring up your video card folder and click on it
*** Click on catalyst control center
*** Click on "gaming"
*** Click on "3D application settings"
*** Selection Mech Warrior Online in the drop down (If you don't see it, select new application, save then select the Mech Warrior Online application.) Default folder: C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Bin32
*** Make sure that you're using the same screen resolution on your desktop and in-game. Don't use full screen mode either, as the game works better in windowed mode.
Let me know how you're faring after trying those solutions!

Hopefully this might help some of you guys having issues since the patch out

#2 Draco Harkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationIn the good part of Battletech, the tabletop.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

Good stuff, nice to see a member actually helping the community. I would sticky this PGI.

Edited by Draco Harkins, 21 November 2012 - 11:26 PM.

#3 Magnumaniac

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 38 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

View PostSandpit, on 21 November 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

Don't use full screen mode either, as the game works better in windowed mode.

Must try that - thanks. Lots of other very good tips here too!

One other useful tip that you could include (I couldn't see it) - is to defragment the drive MWO is installed on too. With the regular patches, some of the large .pak files can easily become fragmented. This fixed one particular issue for me - I would CTD at drop-in about 50% of the time in Caustic Valley (and only that map). One defrag later, problem has gone.

This could also improve performance - defrag should be a regular maintenance job you run on your computer anyway, just like changing the oil in your car.

#4 PartyAlias

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationGFI

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:42 AM

Strangely, something of this list helped me. I have most of my fps back now.

#5 OpCentar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:16 AM

View PostMagnumaniac, on 22 November 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

One other useful tip that you could include (I couldn't see it) - is to defragment the drive MWO is installed on too. With the regular patches, some of the large .pak files can easily become fragmented. This fixed one particular issue for me - I would CTD at drop-in about 50% of the time in Caustic Valley (and only that map). One defrag later, problem has gone.

This could also improve performance - defrag should be a regular maintenance job you run on your computer anyway, just like changing the oil in your car.

Note that defragmentation only works for HDDs, due to the nature of their slow data random access.

People who have SSDs don't have to, and shouldn't defrag their SSDs as there is no performance benefit. In fact there is a potential hazard.

SSDs don't have the mechanical components (motor, heads, platters) regular HDDs have so their random data access is uniform across the entire drive and suffers no loss in performance with fragmentation.

The hazard with defragmenting a SSD is that it reduces the number of write cycles which each SSD memory cell had a finite number of.

There is no performance benefit and in order to optimize the wear level of each memory cell in a SSD, they actually have algorithms which deliberately fragment the data. That is done to level out the wear level between the most used cells and less used ones. The process is automatic and done on the drive level so the user usually has no idea that it's running.

In short - buy a SSD, they aren't so expensive anymore and do wonders for laptops and desktop OS drives.

#6 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Just bumping this to keep it up for people still having issues

#7 GreenHell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationGrandmas House

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for all your help Sandpit, however after everything I've done to try to make this game playable my results are still lackluster. My framerate is far below what is acceptable for a game that requires precise aiming. If anyone else has had any luck in getting MWO to run even half decent, please message me. I would very much like to get into this game, however the terrible framerate is killing me - literally.

My system details are as follows for those who are curious:
Model - Dell XPS M1730
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
CPU - Intel Core 2 Extreme x9000 @ 3.4GHz
RAM - 6GB @ 1000MHz
GPU - Two GeForce 9800M GT (SLI) 1GB total dedicated video memory

P.S. - I am overclocking the 9800M GT's to get the same output as the desktop models and still not getting good results...

Edited by GreenHell, 23 November 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#8 Desert Panther

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

Game Engine is pure SUCK. It jerks, sound clips... Open beta and still crappy performance... whats the point adding new stuff if game runs like crap even on high end PCs?

Edited by Desert Panther, 02 December 2012 - 07:23 PM.

#9 Prophet of Entropy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 319 posts
  • LocationStar Kingdom of Manticore

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

View PostDesert Panther, on 02 December 2012 - 07:23 PM, said:

Game Engine is pure SUCK. It jerks, sound clips... Open beta and still crappy performance... whats the point adding new stuff if game runs like crap even on high end PCs?

cause 2 different groups of people work on these problems cause they require different skill sets?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users