Transparency Of Rules (Bryan You Did Promise You Would Get Back To Us)

187 replies to this topic

#21 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

View PostNaerahQc, on 22 November 2012 - 01:45 PM, said:

Back in close beta, Bryan (i think) said that he didn't want to bother taking 15 min of the programmers time to get detailed info about issues because thats 15 min where the guys were not fixing things. Well i completly disagree, i beleive he or someone else should take that time because we want those data.

I says what? :) The reason why we haven't released details, is mostly due to the fact tuning is ongoing. In my dreams, we'll have an API for you guys to plug into. Right now, that's not a reality.

View PostCalmon, on 22 November 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

Thanks for answering Bryan! Any explanation why DHS 2.0 in engine and not outside? It pushes mainly lighter mechs and make the use of DHS outside ineffective. This leads to have mechs "more equal", everybody could be happy with engine DHS only which is bad by nature because it prevents different builds! It also makes it more difficult if you plan to balance the game with tons because you start to make tons matter less!

We're still collecting data on DHS. Expect some more tweaks as promised a while ago when we addressed DHS concerns. The community gave us a ton of builds to test out. We're working through them slowly.

View PostRedoxin, on 22 November 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

Wow, extremely useful information.

Thanks, but I cant believe we are only getting this now as an answer to a random forum post.

I DID promise to do it a while ago. Slipped through the cracks.

#22 siLve00

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 22 November 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

I says what? :) The reason why we haven't released details, is mostly due to the fact tuning is ongoing. In my dreams, we'll have an API for you guys to plug into. Right now, that's not a reality.

We're still collecting data on DHS. Expect some more tweaks as promised a while ago when we addressed DHS concerns. The community gave us a ton of builds to test out. We're working through them slowly.

I DID promise to do it a while ago. Slipped through the cracks.

plz... realy listen to your community...

leave everything behind and fix your netcode asap.... and give us a premade vs premade modus..
i think that would make 75% of the community happy.
even more happy would be the hardcore players who are bringing the cash.

but its cool to read something from the devs.. seems like you guys care ;)

#23 The Cheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

View PostsiLve00, on 22 November 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

leave everything behind and fix your netcode asap.... and give us a premade vs premade modus..

but its cool to read something from the devs.. seems like you guys care :)

i'm sure that they've got people working on the netcode and MM all the time. The people that make things enjoyable aren't usually the same people who make things work.

Edited by The Cheese, 22 November 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#24 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

It's being worked on. If I could snap my fingers and make it happen instantly I would. Some features/fixes take months.

#25 PartyAlias

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationGFI

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Thank you, Mr Ekman!

#26 Calmon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Bryan any chance to get a comment on this:

http://mwomercs.com/...alance-matches/

Its regarding match making. I really don't want few Tier 1 Mechs useable on a 8vs8. This 500 ton (or what ever amount is fine for you) would prevent most of the problems and it would be easy to implement.

Edited by Calmon, 22 November 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#27 siLve00

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 22 November 2012 - 04:01 PM, said:

It's being worked on. If I could snap my fingers and make it happen instantly I would. Some features/fixes take months.

thank you for your answer.
looking forward to it.. btw no christmas holidays for your crew and you :)

Edited by siLve00, 22 November 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#28 Bloody Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Riiight, cos if they pull out the 3D artists and devs from other sections and place them into the networking business then it will surely get better...

Anyway thanks for the answers Bryan, they were really useful.

#29 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

View PostCalmon, on 22 November 2012 - 04:02 PM, said:

Bryan any chance to get a comment on this: http://mwomercs.com/...alance-matches/ Its regarding match making. I really don't want few Tier 1 Mechs useable on a 8vs8. This 500 ton (or what ever amount is fine for you) would prevent most of the problems and it would be easy to implement.

We've looked at tonnage. However tonnage doesn't factor in player skill. It's part of the equation, but not the the whole answer.

If you took identical teams (mech for mech, loadout for loadout, etc..) skill would still be the single deterministic aspect of deciding which team would win.

ELO MM handles this concept a bit better, albeit still not perfect. No MM system is.

#30 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

TYVM

#31 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

View PostBloody Moon, on 22 November 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

Riiight, cos if they pull out the 3D artists and devs from other sections and place them into the networking business then it will surely get better...

Anyway thanks for the answers Bryan, they were really useful.

OMG, can you imagine what would happen if they took Paul off from kicking the servers and put him on programming them?!

#32 Marzepans

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

Thank you for taking the time to confirm a few things. Credit where it's due. Can you perhaps provide the rational behind allowing Light Mechs and some Mediums to get the full benefit of DHS while disproportionately penalising the Heavy and Assault Mechs?

#33 nitra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

Thank you for taking the time out of your holiday Bryan to post this invaluable information .

While it may seem trivial, this kind of information provides the community the facts it needs to quell disinformation and wild speculation .

Hope you have a wonderful weekend . (hopefully it is a 4 day weekend)

And also know that we are really looking forward to this being a great game that will fulfill the desires of many.

the extra communication and details helps in assuring us that this will be a reality.

#34 Squid von Torgar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 819 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Just seen this Bryan, Thank you sir for answering. Really helps!

S!

#35 VoidConductor

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

Thank you for information Bryan.

#36 FerretGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

Isn't the dev team in Vancouver? No holiday there :)

Thanks for popping in, Bryan. Really key info on DHS for those of us with hot builds!

#37 Calmon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 22 November 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

We've looked at tonnage. However tonnage doesn't factor in player skill. It's part of the equation, but not the the whole answer.

If you took identical teams (mech for mech, loadout for loadout, etc..) skill would still be the single deterministic aspect of deciding which team would win.

ELO MM handles this concept a bit better, albeit still not perfect. No MM system is.

Sure nothing is perfect but you need something working in a good way. And without restriction its a semi-good way (at best). There are so many mechs far less effective and the skilled people think twice playing a slow cataphract when they have a slow atlas as alternative with a lot more armor.

Also why should they choose 25 ton Commander when they can load up more in a 35 ton Jenner at same speed? There is only disadvantage for playing a commando (currently with the class matchmaking as well btw.).

You don't want a game were every mech is balanced to each other! It wouldn't be mechwarrior anymore. So either go with a battle point system or short term take the tons.

Also ELO doesn't help to prevent few Tier 1 Mechs in this games, it only match avarage-team-skills better.

Edited by Calmon, 22 November 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#38 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

Yeah... I can't image too many people will be happy when the tried-and-true 8 Atlas Basecamp Machine comes rolling back into town.

#39 David Bradley

Game Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 41 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

View PostMarzepans, on 22 November 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

Thank you for taking the time to confirm a few things. Credit where it's due. Can you perhaps provide the rational behind allowing Light Mechs and some Mediums to get the full benefit of DHS while disproportionately penalising the Heavy and Assault Mechs?

Could you elaborate as to what you mean by this? The greatest benefit with regards to DHS comes from having a large engine, for both the 2x engine heat sinks as well as fitting extra 1.4x heat sinks inside.

Also, I want to reiterate what Bryan said earlier, that we'll be keeping an eye on how DHSs perform, and be ready to tune the values as needed.

View PostFerretGR, on 22 November 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

Isn't the dev team in Vancouver? No holiday there :)

Thanks for popping in, Bryan. Really key info on DHS for those of us with hot builds!

Shh! It looks better when we're all working straight through a holiday. ;)

#40 Calmon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

View PostDavid Bradley, on 22 November 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

Could you elaborate as to what you mean by this? The greatest benefit with regards to DHS comes from having a large engine, for both the 2x engine heat sinks as well as fitting extra 1.4x heat sinks inside.

Also, I want to reiterate what Bryan said earlier, that we'll be keeping an eye on how DHSs perform, and be ready to tune the values as needed.

Shh! It looks better when we're all working straight through a holiday. :)

Assault Mechs -> More potential Weapons want to be fired -> needs more DHS which is ineffective at 1.4

Light Mechs -> Less potential weapons want to be fired -> don't need more DHS so just fine with the very effective 2.0

Edit: and btw. the additional big engine DHS may be just 1.4 BUT at least they don't need the really bad 3 slots.

Edited by Calmon, 22 November 2012 - 04:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users