- - - - -

[Fix|Updated]Poor Game Performance Solution{Nvidia/amd Users}

458 replies to this topic

Poll: multi thread (299 member(s) have cast votes)

Did this Fix Help make your Game run better?

1. Yes. (95 votes [31.77%])

Percentage of vote: 31.77%

2. No. (Post your Specs Below) (158 votes [52.84%])

Percentage of vote: 52.84%

3. I alread had it on. (35 votes [11.71%])

Percentage of vote: 11.71%

4. I don't Own a Nvidia/Amd card, So I'm Still affected. (11 votes [3.68%])

Percentage of vote: 3.68%

Vote

#421 Machinista

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:35 AM

I started my relationship with MWO (closed Beta) running Core-Duo e8400 paired with Nvidia GTX560. FPS was dreadful <20.
I swapped the 8400 for a Q6600 which got a mild o/c to 2.8GHz. FPS was decent at around 50. Hurrah!! I played a bit, but got bored with TDM.

I came back recently to find performance, with same setup, now back down to ~20fps. I've tried various setting combos and not much seems to make a difference; the enhanced night and thermal views hit FPS even harder.

Note I am not a total newb at setting my rig up for decent trade-off between FPS and quality.

Going to go back to Planetside 2 and will keep checking back. I love the MW combat game, but please make it playable(!) and add a reason (CW) to do TDM over and over; I don't play to grind.

Cheers.

PC stats:
Win XP 32bit, 4GB RAM
Nvidia GTX560
Q6600 at 2.8Ghz

Edited by Machinista, 27 January 2013 - 04:27 AM.

#422 Horace83

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

thx a lot. runs now slightly smoother and prevents fps breakdown in heavy matches.

Intel Core 2 Quad @2,83 GHz
8 GB RAM
Win7 64
Geforce 9800 GT

playing @ 1280x720
High Details

#423 Rorvik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 230 posts
  • LocationYYZ

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

So, after playing for nearly a month with bad FPS, I found this thread and attempted the fix.

Unfortunately, it did not work, though I'm not surprised since I have a slightly older system with a FSB, and it was indicated the fix probably wouldn't work on a system as "old" as mine.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q9550, 2.83 GHz, 12 MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB
RAM: G. Skill 2 x 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM, PC2-6400 (4 GB total)
MOBO: Asus P5Q-E
GFX: EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 470, 1280 MB GDDR5 VRAM
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB, 7200 RPM
SOUND: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Pro Fatal1ty Edition
MONITOR: NEC MultiSync EA231WMi, 1920x1080

I just wiped the HDD (re-zero, not just a simple format) and did a refresh install at the end of December, before I ever started playing the beta, so I have all the lastest drivers for pretty much everything on my system.

I've tried a variety of game settings, but I can never seem to do better than 30 FPS, unless I'm staring into a rocky wall from 10 meters away, in which case I MIGHT jump to 40 FPS. The difference between everything on Low / Off and everything on High / On seems to be about 10 FPS (i.e. with everything on highest, I get about 20 FPS on average, 30 if I turn everything down to the lowest).

I even went so far as to install nVidia GeForce Experience. It told me that the optimal settings for my system was to set everything to Low / Off AND to set my resolution to 1024x768.

It also said my system did not meet the minimum system requirements for these recommended "optimal" settings. :blink:

I decided to give it a whirl anyway, just to see what I'd get.

I got about 30 FPS average. :D

The weirdest part about all this is that when I'm SPECTATING, I get about 45-50 FPS average (depending on the settings), even while watching other Lights play.

I really hope this bug gets fixed at some point. It's really depressing playing on a high-end system and getting borderline unacceptable frames per second. I had to stop playing any Light 'Mechs because the FPS is so bad due to the speed they move at that it becomes nigh unplayable at some points.

Edited by Rorvik, 01 February 2013 - 07:24 AM.

#424 Z3RiN

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

Running great here - any plans on adding 2560x1600 to the resolution list?

#425 Horace83

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

@rorvik:

absolutely the same with me here. 30 FPS wheter i play in 1024 all low or 1440 high details.
I have the impression that the framerate doesnt break down that much after applying the tweak but, like i already wrote, thats all effect i see right now.

#426 EternalCore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

View PostRorvik, on 01 February 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

So, after playing for nearly a month with bad FPS, I found this thread and attempted the fix.

Unfortunately, it did not work, though I'm not surprised since I have a slightly older system with a FSB, and it was indicated the fix probably wouldn't work on a system as "old" as mine.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q9550, 2.83 GHz, 12 MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB
RAM: G. Skill 2 x 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM, PC2-6400 (4 GB total)
MOBO: Asus P5Q-E
GFX: EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 470, 1280 MB GDDR5 VRAM
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB, 7200 RPM
SOUND: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Pro Fatal1ty Edition
MONITOR: NEC MultiSync EA231WMi, 1920x1080

I just wiped the HDD (re-zero, not just a simple format) and did a refresh install at the end of December, before I ever started playing the beta, so I have all the lastest drivers for pretty much everything on my system.

I've tried a variety of game settings, but I can never seem to do better than 30 FPS, unless I'm staring into a rocky wall from 10 meters away, in which case I MIGHT jump to 40 FPS. The difference between everything on Low / Off and everything on High / On seems to be about 10 FPS (i.e. with everything on highest, I get about 20 FPS on average, 30 if I turn everything down to the lowest).

I even went so far as to install nVidia GeForce Experience. It told me that the optimal settings for my system was to set everything to Low / Off AND to set my resolution to 1024x768.

It also said my system did not meet the minimum system requirements for these recommended "optimal" settings. :D

I decided to give it a whirl anyway, just to see what I'd get.

I got about 30 FPS average. ;)

The weirdest part about all this is that when I'm SPECTATING, I get about 45-50 FPS average (depending on the settings), even while watching other Lights play.

I really hope this bug gets fixed at some point. It's really depressing playing on a high-end system and getting borderline unacceptable frames per second. I had to stop playing any Light 'Mechs because the FPS is so bad due to the speed they move at that it becomes nigh unplayable at some points.

Ya here's you Mobo: http://www.asus.com/...#specifications and it doesn't surprise me either with a fsb, old ddr2 ram and the gtx 470...
Lol the only things worth salvaging from your PC is your sound-card and the 1TB HDD. Time for a new gaming rig EH? :D

Edited by EternalCore, 07 February 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#427 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

@rorvik

I dont understand..My q6600 overclocked to 3.2gig with a 460 gtx gets a solid 40 fps at 1920x1080 with settings to low

#428 EternalCore

• 2,195 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 07 February 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

@rorvik

I dont understand..My q6600 overclocked to 3.2gig with a 460 gtx gets a solid 40 fps at 1920x1080 with settings to low

Your Motherboard most likely has and is using Hyper-threading instead of a Front-side-bus; as where his only has a Front-side-bus. And Yes it makes that big of a difference.

#429 MechWarrior Black Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crimson Sentinel
  • The Crimson Sentinel
  • 164 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

any way to force crossfire work? that idea with custom crysis 2 profile dont work for me.

i have phenom II 1090T (6cores)3,2@4ghz enabled multithread in ati tool
8gb 1600mhz of patriot viper xtreme ram
2x 5770 1gb sapphire graphic card @950gpu @1300mhz ram
ocz agility ssd disc for OS and MWO

i play eyefinity on 3 monitors have some details at medium and texturing at very high , but i alrdy checked with crossfire disabled and enabled fps are same arround 25-30 on 3840x1024 res. so only my one graphic card work, i have this issue only in MWO in other games like crysis 2 asasin creed 3 many others it works fine even with 100% more fps , in mwo crossfie and w/o no difference.

Ideas?

Edited by MechWarriorBK, 08 February 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#430 EternalCore

• 2,195 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

View PostMechWarriorBK, on 08 February 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

any way to force crossfire work? that idea with custom crysis 2 profile dont work for me.

i have phenom II 1090T (6cores)3,2@4ghz enabled multithread in ati tool
8gb 1600mhz of patriot viper xtreme ram
2x 5770 1gb sapphire graphic card @950gpu @1300mhz ram
ocz agility ssd disc for OS and MWO

i play eyefinity on 3 monitors have some details at medium and texturing at very high , but i alrdy checked with crossfire disabled and enabled fps are same arround 25-30 on 3840x1024 res. so only my one graphic card work, i have this issue only in MWO in other games like crysis 2 asasin creed 3 many others it works fine even with 100% more fps , in mwo crossfie and w/o no difference.

Ideas?

SLI/Crossfire is not implemented yet and forcing it may break the game due to the incompatibility. So I'd wait till it's implemented so it can work properly. :o

#431 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

@Rorvik:

I built my old system with the P5QL-CM motherboard - essentially the mATX version of your motherboard. Have you tried doing a mild overclock of your system? My system running at 3.2 ghz vs yours at 2.83 shouldn't be that much faster. I think if you adjust the memory FSB ratios you could get it up above 3 ghz into the mid-high 3s.

Also, try using Guru3d.com's overclocking program called MSI Afterburner to adjust your memory THEN your gpu clock settings.

It's a shame you're having low fps issues when your system should be the same or slightly better than mine and definitely playable!

I should clarify that playable means a min of 40+fps - which allows me to be compete in a light mech versus other light mechs. My new system (the 3.4g imac with the gtx 680 mx - overclocked - win7) is a beast and runs the game at all settings max, 1440p etc.. thanks PGI - great patch! But even my systems pales compared to the custom built machines out there 4-5Ghz, dual 680 cards etc etc!

Good luck!

Edited by MavRCK, 11 February 2013 - 11:06 AM.

#432 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Awesome! this made me gain between 5 to 15 fps on my first try. I'll update with more matches later.

Thanks!!!

#433 Silpher K

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Setting Threaded Optimization did not help my performance.

as for SLI
Just tried to use crysis3 sli compatibility bits with nvidia 313.96 betas.

performance doubles as it should, but black flickering.

***turning on heat vision or night vision will eliminate the black flickering.***

riddle me that!

frame rates wise,
performance drops to the floor as soon as there's a lot of things going on in battle.

without crysis3 bits, i get about avg and max of 30~35fps, and occasional drops below 30
with crysis3 bits, i get max of 60~65fps, but will drop to 20~25 frequently in a fight.

obviously this is still unacceptable with the flickering when not using heat/night vision, as well as inconsistent performance.

and for reference, these are my specs:
3770k @ 4.8
16gb ram
2x gtx670 ftw+ 4gb
neutron 240 ssd
win7 x64
surround resolution 6080x1080
max in game settings, motion blur off.

Edited by Silpher K, 12 February 2013 - 05:58 PM.

#434 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

How do I get to the screenshot screen?

#435 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

You'll need a 3rd party software like say MSI Afterburner or FRAPS if you wish to screenshot something.

Using ctrl + print screen then pasting it to a blank page in Paint or something similar doesn't always work.

#436 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

I know how to take them, I want to know what I do to get to the screen the first screenshot on the first page is at

#437 Rorvik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 230 posts
  • LocationYYZ

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

View PostEternalCore, on 07 February 2013 - 05:26 PM, said:

Ya here's you Mobo: http://www.asus.com/...#specifications and it doesn't surprise me either with a fsb, old ddr2 ram and the gtx 470...
Lol the only things worth salvaging from your PC is your sound-card and the 1TB HDD. Time for a new gaming rig EH? :)

You think? Most games I can get a solid 40 FPS on high settings (including MWO; see below). I was hoping to maybe wait until the next gen console came out before upgrading. The reason is two-fold:

One, games for the next-gen consoles that are eventually ported to the PC tend to have higher sys-requirements. Exhibit A: Assassin's Creed when it first came out; it was one of the first games to require a mult-core CPU. So it might be better to wait to see what should be good parts to buy rather than upgrade now only to be obsolete within a year.

Two, my condo closes next January (barring any delays), which should be right after the next-gen consoles are rumoured to be released (X-mas this year). Once I've saved up the money to make the down-payment, I won't have as much of a bottleneck on my finances, such that spending a few hundred on new PC parts should be less of an issue.

#438 Rorvik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 230 posts
  • LocationYYZ

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

I'm happy to report that thanks to the patch from last week, my FPS issues seem to have been resolved. I can play the game on high and get a good 40 FPS average (more if I turn down some settings).

View PostMavRCK, on 07 February 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

@rorvik

Yes, you can now, after the patch. Before, however...

View PostEternalCore, on 07 February 2013 - 05:41 PM, said:

Your Motherboard most likely has and is using Hyper-threading instead of a Front-side-bus; as where his only has a Front-side-bus. And Yes it makes that big of a difference.

Holy crap! You know what, I don't think I ever realized that my Q9550 didn't have HT! I used to have Dell Dimension 8400 before this machine, and it came with a P4 3.4 GHz CPU that had HT; I'd just ASSUMED that the newer generation CPUs would contain all the benefits of the previous gen...

#439 Silpher K

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

View PostRorvik, on 12 February 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

Holy crap! You know what, I don't think I ever realized that my Q9550 didn't have HT! I used to have Dell Dimension 8400 before this machine, and it came with a P4 3.4 GHz CPU that had HT; I'd just ASSUMED that the newer generation CPUs would contain all the benefits of the previous gen...

:P keep in mind, the P4 had 1 physical core with HT, so this translates to 2 logical cores.
where as the Q9550 has 4 physical cores. the core2 (duo/quad) architecture did not have HT, intel brought HT back with core i7

#440 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

So this is an additional computer I've got me hands on that gets pretty bad frame rates, but at least runs the game. Just wondering if one of you kind people have some tips for improving it since I'm not exactly talented at this sort of thing (also I can't change any hardware, since I don't technically own it, software/driver suggestions only please):
Avg FPS: 4-10

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 QUAD CPU Q8400 @ 2.66 GHz(4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Gfx Card Stuff: Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset
Driver Version: 8.15.10.2302

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users