Ask The Devs 26 - Answers!

74 replies to this topic

#61 RFMarine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

View PostOrkimedes, on 26 November 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

The problem with that is that you don't need actual nukes to mess up something from orbit. You could 'nuke' a city with a block of ice from high orbits because it'll be crashing into the planet at tremendous speeds. It only takes a small asteroid impact to put any current biggatonne nuke to shame.

that way you dont get the pesky radiation lingering in the target area

cut up the rocks and spread them out just right and you get a shotgun effect which wont leave craters that are too deep

View PostStonefalcon, on 26 November 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

No game developer wants to spends months and hundred of thousands of dollars to develop their game for 5% of the personal computer market, Macs are dying as a gaming PC period. If a Mac user wants to play they can go buy a real computer and play on that.

unfortunately yes it would increase the programming work to make a version for a different OS. But I think mac users can run virtual OS's or multi boot

View PostSpirit of the Wolf, on 26 November 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

Ouch.

Oh well. Good thing I don't use a Mac then, huh? (Although there are still days when I hate Windows' rotten guts.)

I think you can boot an apple OS on windows machines

Edited by RFMarine, 28 November 2012 - 07:58 AM.

#62 Drakuba

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCZ

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

I'am still pretty curious about by question, that with missile/beam racks and torsos, remember? :)

#63 Zynk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 26 November 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

Q: Modern-day missiles of similar size and function travel between 400-800 kph. Aerospace fighters at the present point in the timeline mount LRMs and fire them at each other with success, but oddly, in MWO a light mech can outrun them completely, and even a mech travelling at 80 kph can dodge some of them simply by moving away from incoming missiles. [Kaijin]
A: BattleTech/MechWarrior do not follow 'real life' rules for many reasons, one of which is that Mechs don't actually make sense as a combat vehicle. Beyond that though, a lot of these choices are for balance, playability, etc. If this game worked like real life you'd be dying to artillery 10 kilometres away, and ships in orbit would just drop rocks on you, nuking entire areas. So basically, it'd be less fun :( [Garth]

When I started playing TT the analogy I was given it's 31 century combat with WWII accuracy.

#64 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

9 times outta 10 the small close knit crew of people working together will catch more details and rush much less, for a more methodical approach, due to the fact that they get one AAA title to watch grow and bear fruit, while a company like "Bli**ard will ovelook and take less heed of what has been said, due to thier diffrent markets having options, so the risk involved isnt the same. I give PGI credit for going big, not going home. Keep up the methodical approach and keep my respect.this game will turn the bend to awesomesauuce one day. its already leaving an awesomesauce taste in my mouth.

#65 gregsolidus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

View PostSpirit of the Wolf, on 27 November 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

Not what I meant, but I guess I wasn't clear enough: I meant that the Cryengine 3 has never been modified in this way before, so there are no precedents. Basically, they're breaking new ground here, so they don't have anyone else to build off of in some respects.

Technically speaking a mod team did it years before they did.

#66 boah

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 22 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

I appreciate all the work the dev's do..I'm a software engineer myself and i can completely understand the loooooonnnnnnnnggggg hours tryiing to get things just right!!!! Way to go guys!!! Just wanted to give you a big thanks!!

I've also play Mechwarrior in one fashion or another since i was in my teens...hehe that was along time ago!!! I really enjoy the game and am thankful. I've reconnected with ppl that i haven't talked to in 20 yrs. This game has brought many ppl together!

rock on... lock and load... cya on the field.

Boah

Edited by boah, 30 November 2012 - 12:12 PM.

#67 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

Q: Are the Urbies still in the office, or did you take them home? [Prosperity Park]
A: In the office still: They do daily battle on my desk. [Garth]

How are the paint jobs holding up?

#68 Suicidal Idiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

View PostTuoweit, on 27 November 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

You armchair development managers exhorting PGI to "work harder" when you have no ******* clue what is going on inside the company or what's involved with actually writing quality software should really keep your mouths shut and think a bit about how incredibly disheartening/rage-inducing it must be to be busting your balls doing 16 hour days and have someone tell you that you just aren't passionate enough about your work.

View PostTuoweit, on 27 November 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

Software development is not like shoveling manure.

It certainly seems to be on this forum...

#69 Suicidal Idiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

View PostRFMarine, on 28 November 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:

But I think mac users can run virtual OS's or multi boot

I think you can boot an apple OS on windows machines

Games don't work too well on virtual machines, because they usually need direct access to the hardware, and the hardware vendors don't generally make high performance drivers that can work through the abstraction layer very well.

Fortuately, there's something called "Boot Camp" that lets Mac hardware boot directly to windows on all that lovely Intel hardware. Or you can just swap in a new hard drive, and install windows directly.

#70 Suicidal Idiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

View PostThomas Covenant, on 26 November 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

In some reality, somewhere BT makes sense. Silly things exist because they thought of ways to counter the 'obvious' tactics. Also noone most people don't want to nuke a valuable planet. At least that's the mindset I take on when playing a far out sci fi or even fantasy.

I believe that there's some sort of galactic understanding that anybody nuking a planet becomes a target of everyone in the civilized galaxy.

#71 Phantom Leader

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 34 posts
  • LocationLouisiana, United States

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

Q: Does the general negativity and unrealistic expectations on the forums dishearten you at all? Or does it make you try even harder to please these particular individuals? [The Dutchmun]
A: It's hard not to have it affect one at all; generally it just makes people around the office less likely to read over the forums. I still do though, and for every negative/unrealistic expection filled post, there are dozens of PM's, emails, and threads that are the opposite. Also, we're dealing with long-time fans of a very old IP, so we expect people to be passionate. If I could have any one thing though, it would be the understanding that: A) we're barely a year into development, and :P the poor guys are usually here till 10-11pm, so the 'you're just lazy' posts are unnecessary and flat out wrong. [Garth]

THIS. I've been saying this since the start of closed beta. Omg buggy this, omg buggy that. IT'S BETA PEOPLE. My brother seems to have an uncanny ability find them all, but yal have been so good at emailing him and keeping him up to date on his issue(s).

That said, yal are doing a great job with the game. For the amount of time the game has been in development, yal are kicking ***. I mean I can remember days of LoL and WoW with HUGE game breaking bugs. Half the time I wouldn't even bother to log in on patch days; it was horrible.

PS. We need a darker shade of purple in the mech lab! Most of us EQRG folk are hording our MC for that day (wow, just checked.....there are over 300 of us now).

PPS. Clan invasion hurry up.....I want my shadow cat.

#72 Suicidal Idiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

View PostPhantom Leader, on 01 December 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

THIS. I've been saying this since the start of closed beta. Omg buggy this, omg buggy that. IT'S BETA PEOPLE.

Naw, they're not whining, they're just making bug reports in the most polite & helpful fashion they're capable of...

Edited by Suicidal Idiot, 01 December 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#73 Phantom Leader

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 34 posts
  • LocationLouisiana, United States

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

View PostSuicidal *****, on 01 December 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

Naw, they're not whining, they're just making bug reports in the most polite & helpful fashion they're capable of...

Haha. Sadly, you are probably right......

#74 ebea51

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 435 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

CHEERS GARTH for another Ask The Devs.

Keep up the good work guys... it is SOOO SUPERCALAFRIGGINGAWESOME to have MechWarrior again.

Cheers mate! :)

#75 miscreant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 823 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

PGI only has 2 guys working on the game. The rest are sitting in a room playing scrabble and listening to Barry Manilow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users