703 replies to this topic

#561 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

View Postfoyrkopp, on 02 March 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

I would like to inquire what the verdict on the HBK-4P is since Ghost Heat has been implemented.

Still good. You just need to think a bit more about your shots and set up a few extra weapon groups.

When taking a shot consider:

0. Will it kill the target mech? Fire either 1,2,3, 6,7,8 or 9 depending on the damage needed.
1. Target body part won't be target-able in the next 10 seconds after this. There are no other valid target body parts available in the next 10 seconds. -> All 9 lasers.
2. Target body part will be targetable in the next 4 seconds but not after that -> 7 lasers (followed by 9 lasers)
3. Target body part will be targetable for the next 10 second -> 6 lasers.

What this does is maximize the damage on target for the given situation. You can still fire all 9 but you have to consider the opportunity cost. If it impedes dealing more damage 4 seconds later you have to play it cool.

edit:

Didn't check against current meta. Just played it a few times after Ghost heat came out. You're still liable to get your hunch blown off.

Edited by Hauser, 02 March 2014 - 05:24 PM.

#562 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

Whole night mediocre-good drops with 500-600 dmg...I NEED LUCK

• Exchange the MLasers in the Arms / Head with S(P)Lasers. Looks a tad down-grady to me in comparison to the pre-Ghost-Heat-9MLaser-build.
  • Run 6 MPLasers. More damage, better to keep on target and I think the HBK could keep enough DHS for that. Of course, that could be done with the 4J just as well.
  • Exchange the MLasers in the Arms with LPLasers - on a Thunderbolt, HBK-4P just doesn't work with Ghost Heat.

Or you could just group the six RT MLas together, one group for arms and one group for head, instead of firing all nine of them all the time?

#563 foyrkopp

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:24 AM

... but.. but.... firing all them bright beams at once is fun!

That being said, I'll see if I can make it work with the correct weapon grouping. Thanks for the advice everybody.

See you in the field
foyrkopp

Edited by foyrkopp, 03 March 2014 - 12:25 AM.

#564 Tonkonk

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

I drive my Hunchback HBK 4H with:

3 medium lasers
1 Ultra A/C 5
1 PPC ER
the std 200 engine
all the additional setups with lighter armor and stuff

this works very good on distance and on close quarters :)

Edited by Tonkonk, 10 March 2014 - 10:09 PM.

#565 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:36 PM

Hi there, senior Mechwarriors,

I would like to inquire what the verdict on the HBK-4P is since Ghost Heat has been implemented.

Personally, I'm a bit disappointed - pre-Ghost Heat, my 4P was a beast - I regularly racked up over 500 damage per match and enemies just got WRECKED in fairly short order.

Post ghost heat? It's much more underwhelming. The 45 alpha is gone - your alpha is pretty much limited to 30 - you can fire the hunch with no penalty, but without those 3 extra lasers it's not quite as punchy, and since spinning has always helped spread laser damage, it's not in the pinpoint meta.

I still run the Champion variant as is - the trick now is to never alpha all 9 unless you know it will kill your target and you'll be fine afterward. I generally run with 5 of the hunch lasers in group fire, and the other 4 lasers in chain fire, third group of all lasers for the rare alpha strike. You can then get a 25 damage burst off, and chainfire the other lasers until the 5-pack is back up. It's not as effective as the old 4P, but it's usable. Those moments when you get a lucky backshot alpha while standing still bring back the glory days a little though.

Personally, I'd just been testing out small laser builds when TheB33f posted his Partyback build - that might be the way to go on the 4P unless we get design quirks for ghost heat immunity.

#566 Unleashed3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 525 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:52 PM

Thought the best Hunchi is a Nova... ^^ *trolling*

#567 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

View PostBattlestar3k, on 11 March 2014 - 07:52 PM, said:

Thought the best Hunchi is a Nova... ^^ *trolling*

More like the 4P is a Spheroid Nova. Nova Prime can't be the best Hunchie though - it doesn't have any torso mounted weapons.

#568 foyrkopp

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:09 AM

To relate my experiences with the 4P with 9 MLasers: Despite ghost heat, it works. I divided the weapons into two groups - one containing the 6 hunchlasers, one containing arms & head.

I then added an additional "chainfire group" containing all 7 torso lasers on, well, chainfire and a "light hunter group" only utilizing the arms.

In the end, the build does very well. I tried alternatives like 6MPLasers, the Partyback or a 2LLasers/2MPlasers all-range-hybrid, but the standard 9 MLasers seem to offer the best mix of range and damage.

See you in the field
foyrkopp

#569 Zeede

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

I do not have all the basics yet (I got the 4P last) but I have been using six small pulse lasers in the hunch, with mediums in the arms and head.

So far I like it. The mediums hit much further out, with the small pulse laser six-pack obviously being my main damage dealers.

I need to get double heat sinks and then a 270 STD engine before it's finished, however.

#570 PACoFist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 270 posts
  • LocationThe Eye Of Chaos

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:29 AM

View PostDakkaface, on 11 March 2014 - 07:36 PM, said:

Personally, I'm a bit disappointed - pre-Ghost Heat, my 4P was a beast - I regularly racked up over 500 damage per match and enemies just got WRECKED in fairly short order.

Post ghost heat? It's much more underwhelming. The 45 alpha is gone - your alpha is pretty much limited to 30 - you can fire the hunch with no penalty, but without those 3 extra lasers it's not quite as punchy, and since spinning has always helped spread laser damage, it's not in the pinpoint meta.

I still run the Champion variant as is - the trick now is to never alpha all 9 unless you know it will kill your target and you'll be fine afterward. I generally run with 5 of the hunch lasers in group fire, and the other 4 lasers in chain fire, third group of all lasers for the rare alpha strike. You can then get a 25 damage burst off, and chainfire the other lasers until the 5-pack is back up. It's not as effective as the old 4P, but it's usable. Those moments when you get a lucky backshot alpha while standing still bring back the glory days a little though.

Personally, I'd just been testing out small laser builds when TheB33f posted his Partyback build - that might be the way to go on the 4P unless we get design quirks for ghost heat immunity.

Medium pulse lasers don´t have ghost heat (oddly). Here is my build: [smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dccb9d1670b362b[/smurfy]

9 Medium lasers = 49.6 heat for 45 damage
6 MPL + 3 ML = 42 heat for 51 damage
51 point damage alpha is great to cripple mechs, or finish them when their armor is weak. But never use alpha twice.

#571 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

I set my P(c) up with all medium lasers. One button alpha, the other chainfire. Seems to work. As stated previously, dont alpha twice unless its safe to take a nap.

#572 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

The most stable builds for me for the 4G and 4H are as follows:

- Standard 250
- DHS, Endo, Ferro
- AC10 (3 tons of ammo) and 3 medium lasers

After that, I stuck 2 machine guns in the 4G just to annoy people and, oddly, a TAG in the 4H since I often end up with LRM mechs on my team that could benefit from it. It doesn't do damage, sure, but it tends to produce free cbills and XP.

I'm tempted to buy a 3rd Hunch, but not sure which one since I've got the ballistics ones.

Edited by oldradagast, 12 April 2014 - 09:08 AM.

#573 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

this is what i use on my founders
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dcab7efbb2fe125

260 was here, 250 is for losers.

and here is my favorite 4sp build.

Friendship Frog

Yes, that's right. tag and bap and I have no real use for either. Why you ask? because even though its insane to think of the team when you build a mech, the missile boats don't seem to mind my insanity. SRM4+A for slapping lights and super tight groupings to work in combination with 4 medium lasers for turkey carving. you could drop the engine to a 250 for some ams if you really want, but its difficult to sneak around when you're farting, although I will admit it is useful vs streaks.

Edited by Battlecruiser, 19 April 2014 - 06:19 PM.

#574 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

Helmstif said:

Or you could just group the six RT MLas together, one group for arms and one group for head, instead of firing all nine of them all the time?

I've never piloted one of these yet partially because I love the AC20's "shove" it gives even Atlas's when it hits em, but also cause I still suck at managing heat ^_^

What's your opinion on MUCH less rear RT armor and only half arm armor? I've been reading posts where people swear they do just fine with just 3 points rear RT armor and half of the arm armor "because HBK's arms are so small."

What's your take?

Thanks again for the kick ass guide! I now generally contribute 2 kills per match and/or around 8 assists :)

#575 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:25 PM

Wow, this guide is really useful. I had tried the trial hunchback before but sucked badly with it. Seeing the video showed me a muc hbetter weapon grouping than I was using, as well as some other gameplay tips which I found really useful, cheers!
After reading through this guide I was convinced. In a bit over 2 hours I got 14k XP on the trial hunchy. I then bought a 4G (I like the option of dual AC2 or 5), completed the basics and am now halfway through the 4SP, which with a STD275 is a beast. A bit more XP and C-Bills and I'll be on to Eliting them.

#576 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:51 AM

View PostHeroForHire, on 05 May 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

I've never piloted one of these yet partially because I love the AC20's "shove" it gives even Atlas's when it hits em, but also cause I still suck at managing heat :P

What's your opinion on MUCH less rear RT armor and only half arm armor? I've been reading posts where people swear they do just fine with just 3 points rear RT armor and half of the arm armor "because HBK's arms are so small."

What's your take?

Thanks again for the kick ass guide! I now generally contribute 2 kills per match and/or around 8 assists :(

I go for 5 armor on the rear torso as I've been back stabbed a few too many times but yeah low is safe. Your personal threshold for what's too low will vary.

It's fairly safe to strip some armor from the right arm as you're pretty much always going to be losing the hunch first and that takes the arm with it anyway. But make sure you leave your left pretty full as once you're down to two medium lasers you're gonna want to hang onto them.

Though when it happens getting a single medium head laser kill is hilarious.

Also give thought to swapping out one medium for a tag. 8 of them still hit's plenty hard and it knocks your heat down a notch while giving you something to do while pinned down outside your laser range. Plus add it to all your weapon groups and watch the tag/narc bonus money roll in plus your teammates will apreciate the broken ECM. And it gives nice neat weapon groups. One group for arm lasers and then two groups of three each for torso/head.

Edited by Dago Red, 06 May 2014 - 01:53 AM.

#577 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:53 AM

I go with 2 points in the RT, 6 in the LT, and 10 in the CT. most of the hits go to the hunch anyways (although I've noticed the missile pod in the Grid Iron's LT is situationally useful as a shield, obviously more so than the bare LT of the 4G or 4P.)

#578 Deadeye2907

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

I was unsure of what 'Mech to buy and thanks to you I settled on the hunchback. I used to run with an AC10 (Because AC20s were expensive and I wanted to try other hunchbacks) but when I got around to using the AC20 it has become my favorite 'Mech in the game. Thank you so much for making this guide! :wub:

#579 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:10 PM

View PostDago Red, on 06 May 2014 - 01:51 AM, said:

I go for 5 armor on the rear torso as I've been back stabbed a few too many times but yeah low is safe. Your personal threshold for what's too low will vary.

It's fairly safe to strip some armor from the right arm as you're pretty much always going to be losing the hunch first and that takes the arm with it anyway. But make sure you leave your left pretty full as once you're down to two medium lasers you're gonna want to hang onto them.

Though when it happens getting a single medium head laser kill is hilarious.

Also give thought to swapping out one medium for a tag. 8 of them still hit's plenty hard and it knocks your heat down a notch while giving you something to do while pinned down outside your laser range. Plus add it to all your weapon groups and watch the tag/narc bonus money roll in plus your teammates will apreciate the broken ECM. And it gives nice neat weapon groups. One group for arm lasers and then two groups of three each for torso/head.

View PostInflatable Fish, on 06 May 2014 - 04:53 AM, said:

I go with 2 points in the RT, 6 in the LT, and 10 in the CT. most of the hits go to the hunch anyways (although I've noticed the missile pod in the Grid Iron's LT is situationally useful as a shield, obviously more so than the bare LT of the 4G or 4P.)

Guys, much appreciation to you for the info and guidance. I've been running around with around 40 points of armor on my back and apparently it's waaaay too much! ;)
However I can say that it's saved my butt more than once when some Spider or Commando snuck up behind me and did that sneaky backstab thing! I turned around and AC20'd em in CT -- and another instant point for the good ol KDR :unsure:

I'll start reducing rear armor a bit and keep my beloved hunch longer!

#580 Johnny Two Legs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

The 4SP is my favourite Hunchback - the Wang is a better AC20 chassis IMO.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...377cd72258c656d

87.3 with ST, 322/338 Armour, DHS, ES
5 ML, 2 SRM4 w/ 3t ammo, 40% heat efficiency.

I don't like the SRM6's- heavy, generate too much heat with the 5 ML's and you need more ammo to really use them long term.
The SRM4's mean you can fit more DHS in and carry 1 less tonne of ammo. They also have a tighter spread and fire quicker.
Having fairly high heat efficiency means 1/3 of the maps won't gimp you that much when firing often.

Some may say that going with the SRM 6's is better as you won't last that long anyway - however my playstyle of hanging around highlanders, banshees and atlases means i am not the focused fired on and you get to add considerable firepower... also means you last longer than going off hunting yourself.
The Hunchie is too fragile to really be focused fired upon...

J2L

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users