#601 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

View PostRed Line Pilot, on 06 July 2014 - 04:40 AM, said:

4J is pretty much XL friendly.

why to bother when you can use it with a STD275 and 6 medium lasers as a fat jenner with proper heat management

#602 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

Use your imagination :-)

All those free tons of weapons and equipment!

#603 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:23 PM

Ok, I've decided to return on Hunchi chassis, and I bought the SP and the J because "missiles!"

And I'm not sur if I could use both of them has LRM missile, or SRM boat.

#604 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:57 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 07 July 2014 - 08:23 PM, said:

Ok, I've decided to return on Hunchi chassis, and I bought the SP and the J because "missiles!"

And I'm not sur if I could use both of them has LRM missile, or SRM boat.

SRMs work again so the 4SP classic is back in action. 4 or 5 MLAS depending on taste, 2 SRM6 packs with or without Art depending on taste, a 250+ STD engine. The prototypical workhorse brawler. Personally, right now I use 4 lasers, Art, with 3 tons of ammo. I think you could just as easily drop Art and add an extra MLAS and heatsink for alphas, or AMS to frustrate Clan lurm boats.

#605 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

Not bad. Overall, I agree with most of the OP's material. I do have a slightly differing opinion concerning the 4H and the GI though. See below to get an idea of how I run them:

Posted Image

Posted Image

For the 4H, I really like having those pulse lasers. To date, I've yet to see another build like it - pretty much everyone runs the standard lasers. While that can let you pack on more firepower (6 ml versus 3 mpl), it does boost your heat considerably, which impacts your longevity in battle. I prefer the pulses because it allows me to snap off a crunchy Alpha, and then twist my Mech to shield against enemy return fire. Sacrificing the AMS lets me pack on more DHS, so that I maintain a great cooling ability.

The GI is a bit of an odd-ball. I couldn't find a build that I liked until I hit upon this one. Since it is a Hero Mech, I hated to make it into a carbon copy of my 4H or 4G (I run my 4G with the AC/20 and twin MG build). So I tried to get creative, and the above pic was the result. It's been a fun Mech, if not a particularly competitive one. Sometimes I have terrific rounds, and other times I get shredded with that Excel. Still, I wouldn't change it. The GI was also the first Mech of mine to break 1000 damage. Enjoy the video here: http://www.twitch.tv...arejk/c/3807723

Finally, I'll post my 4P build for y'all's entertainment. I used to run triple LPLs on it to great effect, but after some of PGI's tweaks to the Ghost Heat scale, I found it to be ineffective. So now I run this for laughs:

Posted Image

Surprisingly, it's proven very effective and is a new favorite of mine.

Since I posted three of my four builds, I may as well put up the final. It's just the common 4G AC/20 + 2 MG build though. It was the first Mech I ever purchased way back in Closed Beta. :P

Posted Image

I apologize for the lack of vids! They're all grainy and very poor quality. I haven't run my Hunchies as frequently as I did prior to fixing the poor quality issues, because I've been leveling other Mechs. When I do run them, I usually save the vids to desktop rather than stream them to Twitch. I'm not much of a YouTube bug, so I don't upload them - I keep them and clip my favorite shots to make kill montages.

Edit: My bad, I do have a recent vid of my 4H: http://www.twitch.tv...arejk/c/4090111

...aaaand and old one of my 4G: http://www.twitch.tv...arejk/c/3241302

Enjoy! :P

Edited by Nightmare1, 08 July 2014 - 12:13 PM.

#606 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:18 PM

@InspectorG

Fastback J

I think this is what you're looking for. This bad boy hits like a semi truck! I love it.

#607 BOWMANGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:50 PM

I had abandoned my Mediums waiting for 3/3/3/3 because it was supposed to fix the imbalances between the classes. When 3/3/3/3 finally was implemented I returned to my favorite Hunchbacks to see if they were any good.

Unfortunately, my first matches {10 or so} were unbelievably bad. Direwolfs took my Hunch in one shot, Timber Wolfs refused to die even after several AC20 shots in the face, the Stormcrow seemed a straight up upgrade to everything that my Hunchback could do. It felt like I was playing a crippled mech.

Then I remembered that I was playing my Stalkers for many weeks now, with their "in your face" mentality. I decided that I may have been playing my Hunchback like a Stalker, which of course it can't end well for me.

After 10 or so matches I started to "get" my Hunchie vibes again. I was shadowing Assault teammates, I was backshotting those Direwolfs, I never stood face to face with a Timber Wolf and battle it out and the Stormcrow can't do the 180 torso twisting AC20 wreckage that the Hunchie can do apparently. :)

Then the 500-600 damage matches started to happen and I was happy. It was the first time that I actually started to believe that my Hunchbacks may be obsolete but it completely changed my mind when I started getting my Medium pilot reflexes and tactics back that were buried under the Assault mech mentality that developed these last few months playing Stalkers and Banshees.

Now I'm happy and I play the 'bad' Hunchie, the G variant with AC20 and 2 MGs. 4SP may be on paper the best Hunchie but nothing can beat the feeling of accomplishment from a well placed AC20 round followed by ammo explosions and criticals from the MGs.

#608 Kelenas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:20 AM

View PostBOWMANGR, on 21 July 2014 - 11:50 PM, said:

I had abandoned my Mediums waiting for 3/3/3/3 because it was supposed to fix the imbalances between the classes. When 3/3/3/3 finally was implemented I returned to my favorite Hunchbacks to see if they were any good.

Unfortunately, my first matches {10 or so} were unbelievably bad. Direwolfs took my Hunch in one shot, Timber Wolfs refused to die even after several AC20 shots in the face, the Stormcrow seemed a straight up upgrade to everything that my Hunchback could do. It felt like I was playing a crippled mech.

Then I remembered that I was playing my Stalkers for many weeks now, with their "in your face" mentality. I decided that I may have been playing my Hunchback like a Stalker, which of course it can't end well for me.

After 10 or so matches I started to "get" my Hunchie vibes again. I was shadowing Assault teammates, I was backshotting those Direwolfs, I never stood face to face with a Timber Wolf and battle it out and the Stormcrow can't do the 180 torso twisting AC20 wreckage that the Hunchie can do apparently. :)

Then the 500-600 damage matches started to happen and I was happy. It was the first time that I actually started to believe that my Hunchbacks may be obsolete but it completely changed my mind when I started getting my Medium pilot reflexes and tactics back that were buried under the Assault mech mentality that developed these last few months playing Stalkers and Banshees.

Now I'm happy and I play the 'bad' Hunchie, the G variant with AC20 and 2 MGs. 4SP may be on paper the best Hunchie but nothing can beat the feeling of accomplishment from a well placed AC20 round followed by ammo explosions and criticals from the MGs.

I had the exact same problem when I switched from playing almost exclusively lights to clan mediums. I was playing my Stormcrow and Nova like a Jenner or a Firestarter and ending up in horrible positions with no way out. Medium mechs are really different beasts to any other weight class. You have to have to know when to engage and when to withdraw, and there is a really fine line between those. Might have to rebuy some hunchbacks to get on that IS AC20 train tho. I can't stand the Clanner autocannons and Shadowhawks just feel so stiff and clunky to me compared to hunchies and the clan mediums.

#609 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:19 AM

View PostBOWMANGR, on 21 July 2014 - 11:50 PM, said:

This is interesting - I've noticed a lot of people have talked about Mediums being useless or nerfed and that they abandoned them until 3x4. In my opinion, my Mediums never became obsolete, especially my Hunchbacks. It's all in how you use them. I've been running my CN9s, HBKs and SHDs up until and after the Clan Invasion and have not noticed a significant change in how I play. The biggest difference is that I am more ammo conscious since I no longer have triple range on my ACs.

I would venture to say that IS Mechs are fully capable of going toe-to-toe with Clanners and winning - I've done it several times already. I ran a match in my HBK-4P the other day where I faced down a Dire Wolf and forced it to run, and then chased down a Stormcrow and killed it in a duel.

To anyone disillusioned with Medium Mechs, especially the HBK, I would say that the time to run them has never been better! It seems that the majority of players have gravitated towards Heavies and Assaults. There are a lot of new players now who are buying the newer Mechs and don't understand the Hunchback. I see very few HBKs in match now, which, I think, gives me an advantage because it surprises people when they do appear. In short, pilots have forgotten how to fight them, and it's almost like having a brand new Mech on the field (sometimes, not always!). Also, the attitude that they are outmoded causes a lot of folks (I think) to underestimate the HBK's capabilities.

It's like the old saying, "Respect the classics!" That HBK may, on paper, be outmoded, but on the battlefield, it's still quite possibly one of the single most frightening Mechs you could face. I'll never sell mine or quit running them. Like BOWMANGR says, there are few things more satisfying in this game than watching the effects of a well-placed AC/20 round! :D

By the way, just for kicks, here's a pic from the HBK-4P match I mentioned. I scored 4 kills that round, two of them Clanners and two of them IS (one a HBK, ironically). This little spider backed up right into me - it was like Christmas in July! :D

Posted Image

#610 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

^ That had to hurt.

And I agree, the Hunchback is generally not considered to be a huge threat nowadays. Which is great! People think you're an easy kill and go after you, but with some nice use of cover, corners, and maneuvering, you can turn a Dire Wolf into a pile of dire slag.

#611 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

View PostTripleEhBeef, on 22 July 2014 - 01:33 PM, said:

^ That had to hurt.

Oh it did, it did! :)

Let's just say that he didn't get back up from that one. Ironically, I nailed a Hunchback about a minute later with a similar strike. Folks just don't check their corners! ;)

#612 BOWMANGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

Another thing that I've noticed these last weeks is that Clanners tend to use the advanced zoom module a bit too much because most of their weapons have insane ranges.

Do you know what this means? It means that you can flank them at impossible angles which otherwise will allow them to see you and that they get so focused on their targets that I manage to get behind their backs a lot easier than I was able to before the invasion. Sometimes I don't even shoot them I let the LRMs wreck them first and when they panic from the unexpected LRM rain I use that confusion to finish them off.

#613 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:24 AM

HBK-4J Pocket Assault

It's official. The 4J is my favourite Hunchie.

#614 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

I just got the "Creeping Doom" achievement in mah HBK-4G(F)

AC20, 3xMLas, STD 215, Joystick

and no, I didn't hide at any time.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 27 July 2014 - 03:58 PM.

#615 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

Had this match last night:

My Unit, Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, against The Brethren - Pirate Kingdom Merc Corps. It was a good fight, and I scored 5 kills in an HBK-4G. Who says the HBKs are washed up nowadays? :P

I also scored my first "Double Kill," successfully dropping two Mechs nearly simultaneously with my weapon systems (no strikes!) and having them fall across each other. :ph34r:

Was a very cool match all around, although I wish the video capture had picked up my mic. That would've made it a bit more interesting.

Also, please be aware that some of the pilots in my TS use strong language. If you prefer not to hear it, then please mute the vid or don't watch.

Enjoy all! :P

#616 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

View PostTripleEhBeef, on 21 July 2014 - 11:18 PM, said:

@InspectorG

Fastback J

I think this is what you're looking for. This bad boy hits like a semi truck! I love it.

That. Looks. Tasty.

#617 KatierRax

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

Hi Folks,

Very much a noobie to this game, played around 40 or so games and found an initial playstyle that seems to work until I've really got the hang of the control system. Currently have a habit of having the legs way out of kilter with the torso and running backwards into trouble!! So figured initial builds which limited that by erring on the long range is a good idea.

With my cash from the initial Cadet games come away with two Hunchies as they seemed to fit in with playstyle and advice I was reading, plus of course were cheap!!

Due to the fact I'm very clumsy and generally poor at close range both these are aimed at longer range with LRM's and then medium lasers when things get dicey.

First Hunch I got was a 4J then second a 4SP, both configurations are VERY similiar with the main differences being in the numbers of Med Lasers, and HS configuration. The SP will be getting doubles as next purchase.

HBK-4J

HBK-4SP

Feel free to rip them apart :lol:

The Only real issues I've definitely noticed are heat management on the SP, in my most recent game I got 3 kills but near the end when engaging close range with the 4 ML I shut down 3 times (yeah I was lucky and got the kill shot too!!) so I've dropped a ML and added a HS until I get doubles.

#618 KatierRax

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for the advice - hadn't twigged to the concept of 'strip and swap' so by configuring one of the two then selling the left overs I've left myself with enough money to upgrade the SP to doubles so now they'll run identical setups (apart from the ML locations of course).

As I understand it I need three HB's in order to allow me to level all the skills on it, which would you suggest as the third?

#619 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

View PostKatierRax, on 19 August 2014 - 08:36 AM, said:

Thanks for the advice - hadn't twigged to the concept of 'strip and swap' so by configuring one of the two then selling the left overs I've left myself with enough money to upgrade the SP to doubles so now they'll run identical setups (apart from the ML locations of course).

As I understand it I need three HB's in order to allow me to level all the skills on it, which would you suggest as the third?

I know you said previously that you disliked brawling. That being said, the HBK-4G and 4H, though best at brawling, can be configured into Gauss Snipers or decent AC skirmishers. Personally, I would recommend learning to brawl and using the AC/20 though. If you are willing to spend some cash, the Grid Iron comes equipped with Gauss and makes a decent sniper Mech too. I run mine with twin AC/5s though for skirmishing purposes.

Other than that, taking the HBK-4P and mounting PPCs or ER LLs on it may be a good way for you to go. You could stand off and poke from range.

The Grid Iron and 4G both have a few extra degrees of torso pitch compared to the 4H and 4P, meaning they can look up a little higher. This is a huge help if you find yourself fighting uphill.

As a Hunchback fan and pro, I wish you the best of luck and encourage you to keep experimenting with the chassis! It's my favorite in the game, and, I think, the best one for fun times. If you have more questions, keep on asking them - there are a lot of us Hunchback fans here who will be happy to answer them. :)

#620 PACoFist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 270 posts
  • LocationThe Eye Of Chaos

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:44 AM

I would suggest the 4G or 4H. The 4P is fun but it only has energy hardpoints. And ballistic weapons are the most effective weapons in this game. If you are new to the game you should learn to use them.

Gauss rifles are very good, but a bit complicated when you are not used to them. MGs are more a gimmick then a weapon and AC2 are not as good as they used to be. But all other ballistic weapons are good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users