Not the 4P, that's for vets. Or players who really like a challenge. :ph34r:

This is what is known as an understatement! ^_^

#622 Carlos Vinson

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Scenic S. MPLS

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

View PostPACoFist, on 21 August 2014 - 02:44 AM, said:

I would suggest the 4G or 4H. The 4P is fun but it only has energy hardpoints. And ballistic weapons are the most effective weapons in this game. If you are new to the game you should learn to use them.

Gauss rifles are very good, but a bit complicated when you are not used to them. MGs are more a gimmick then a weapon and AC2 are not as good as they used to be. But all other ballistic weapons are good.

Sold the 4P bought the 4G. Not very good with it...yet, but you have to love that BFG. I can see in the right hands you can really run up your score.

#623 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:10 AM

The 4P is best tackled once you've basic'd 2 other variants. You need that x2 Coolrun and Containment for it.

#624 Kaeb Odellas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:09 AM

Is there any build for the Grid Iron that can actually make use of its one missile hardpoint? It feels like the AC20 build is all it is good for.

#625 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:06 AM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 26 August 2014 - 01:09 AM, said:

Is there any build for the Grid Iron that can actually make use of its one missile hardpoint? It feels like the AC20 build is all it is good for.

I'm running 3 ML, AC/5, ASRM6 with a 260 STD engine, it's quite alright - though I wouldn't argue it's "better" than the golden classic. it plays well enough though.

#626 KatierRax

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

Trying out the P build but struggling, mainly due to lack of funds to kit it properly, although I do have one problem. Trying to maintain distance+LOS. LRM's are easy as they go over stuff, but it's hard to keep distance and maintain my own safety while still engaging.. Some of it is of course down to being new, but any tips would be appreciated.

Currently she's running on singles, not doubles, and as a result there are mass issues so I've go a single head medium and no arm mediums to suppliment the double PPC's. She does struggle heat wise but nowt much I can do until I have the cash to upgrade to doubles.

#627 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

View PostKatierRax, on 28 August 2014 - 08:12 AM, said:

Trying out the P build but struggling, mainly due to lack of funds to kit it properly, although I do have one problem. Trying to maintain distance+LOS. LRM's are easy as they go over stuff, but it's hard to keep distance and maintain my own safety while still engaging.. Some of it is of course down to being new, but any tips would be appreciated.

Currently she's running on singles, not doubles, and as a result there are mass issues so I've go a single head medium and no arm mediums to suppliment the double PPC's. She does struggle heat wise but nowt much I can do until I have the cash to upgrade to doubles.

You could try the Partyback but use Ml in the arms and head. Fairly cool with all the sl/spl(break them up into groups for ghost heat) and it a party favorite!

#628 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

I've been looking at the Gridiron for awhile now. The hardpoints look quite good and I played around in the mechlab for a bit to get something like a mini-50 ton Atlas.

GRID IRON

3 Medium Lasers, 1 AC/20 (3 tons ammo) and 1 SRM6 (1.5 tons ammo). It's just a Medium Laser and LRM20 short of an Atlas which isn't bad for something half the weight. It'll probably overheat though. :lol:

Still, I might pick one up on the next sale.

Edited by Elizander, 11 September 2014 - 11:38 PM.

#629 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:08 PM

View PostElizander, on 11 September 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

I've been looking at the Gridiron for awhile now. The hardpoints look quite good and I played around in the mechlab for a bit to get something like a mini-50 ton Atlas.

GRID IRON

3 Medium Lasers, 1 AC/20 (3 tons ammo) and 1 SRM6 (1.5 tons ammo). It's just an SRM6, Medium Laser and LRM20 short of an Atlas which isn't bad for something half the weight. It'll probably overheat though. :lol:

Still, I might pick one up on the next sale.

You won't regret it! I've run mine for different ways, three of them highly effective builds, and never get tired of it. Most recently, I converted it into something similar to your build, but with extra AC/20 ammo, a bigger engine, and no SRM system.

Other fun builds include a UAC/5+AC5 with 2 MLs and an MPL, as well as 2x AC/5 with three MPLs. Both require the Excel 200 engine though, which is risky.

#630 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

Couldn't wait for a sale. Got my Grindiron. So-Much-Fun! :lol:

#631 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:57 PM

Hey guys, quick question about the 4P -- is it viable as an IS alternative to the Nova without the JJs

#632 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

View PostUrsusMorologus, on 15 September 2014 - 01:57 PM, said:

Hey guys, quick question about the 4P -- is it viable as an IS alternative to the Nova without the JJs

The P is fun and powerfull when used with skill...
Juggling that heat can be crazy when people are aiming or your hunch.
Stay near assaults and use it like strike and fade, dont frontline brawl unless you know it will be a good push.

I break mine into 2 weapons groups:
5 hunch
4 arms/head/1 from hunch.
Time the firings right and avoid ghost heat.
Hide behind an assault, time the enemies cooldown and peek/shoot when they are cooling. Watch you dont friendly fire with the arms.

If you are brave or stupid, try the Partyback!

#633 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:20 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3730966

#634 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

I read all 32 pages of this thread. Here are three 4P builds I've been playing with that I didnt see talked about

HBK-4P with 2LL 6ML this gives some range, and also gives you 9 dmg on each arm if your hunch is blown off. You can peek around a wall and fire your right LL and the hunch together for a 39 damage shot, or charge somebody and hit for 48. Biggest downside is you cant fire all the weapons together very often. Another problem is the arm weapons dont work for peeking over a hilltop. And there's no room for a laser in the head so you are helpless if both of your sides get blown off.

HBK-4P with 3ML 6MPL 51 alpha is the highest damage of any build I have been able to put together, but you have to get close and hug the target.

HBK-4P with 3ML 2LPL this is basically the classic AC20 build using 2 large pulse lasers instead of the AC20 and does more damage (10.6 on each LPL so 21.2 total). The peak damage on this build is not that great (36.2 max) however the LPLs have more reach which makes up for it--you can stick your hunch over a rock and pop somebody at 400m and they will feel it. It is very solid for picking apart a target from cover. This is the build I run with, since it is the most flexible and predictable.

I also bought a Grid Iron, HBK-GI with 3ML, LB10X and Streaks for shadowing an Assault lance and dealing with whatever comes up. Can also replace the Streaks with SRM4 if you like, but streaks are funnerer for dealing with lights.

Thanks to all who posted before

Edited by UrsusMorologus, 20 September 2014 - 05:05 PM.

#635 Theallmightyevil

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:41 PM

View PostUrsusMorologus, on 20 September 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

HBK-4P with 2LL 6ML this gives some range, and also gives you 9 dmg on each arm if your hunch is blown off. You can peek around a wall and fire your right LL and the hunch together for a 39 damage shot, or charge somebody and hit for 48. Biggest downside is you cant fire all the weapons together very often. Another problem is the arm weapons dont work for peeking over a hilltop. And there's no room for a laser in the head so you are helpless if both of your sides get blown off.

That's the way I run my Laserhunch, too. Only I kept the stock engine in favor of additional heatsinks. Since I always tag along after bigger mechs to basically act as an orbiting gun drone for them I never felt the lack of speed as a handicap.

#636 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:52 PM

I built my HBK-4P to be as cool as possible - 20 DHS are plenty to keep 7 medium lasers for a long time.

#637 Theallmightyevil

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:22 PM

Just for fun I outfitted my 4P with 6SL 2ERPPC yesterday and I was amazed how well it worked.

#638 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:27 AM

Hello gents, I just thought I'd see if I could revive this thread. After the quirk passes recently the Hunchback chassis has started to see some new life. And while I'm seeing builds and discussions all over the forums for our beloved murder machines, they deserve to be here too. So what do you say? Any builds that take advantage of the new quirks? Any new play styles that seem to be working? Crazy great success stories? Failures?

Lets give a warm welcome back to one of the greatest 'mechs in game.

#639 Holdfast

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNoVa

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:45 AM

I've said it several times now, but HBK-4J rocks. Between the quirks, modules, and eliting the chassis, you can cut the lrm launch time by two thirds. Yep, 10+2 missiles every 1.25 seconds. I tend to chain fire one rack every .6-ish seconds. I will say it's a very distinctive mech to play, as the rapid fire missiles end up feeling rather direct fire-ish with that speed. They're also incredibly effective as most missiles hit the center torso (because it's artemis and a 10 rack) on anything but a speeding light.

Right now I'm averaging 350 damage a match in it, and broken 800 twice. And that's with be being pretty mediocre at this game.

(I've also dusted of my SP with the new srm6 quirks, and while you tend to run out of ammo quick, I've had my best games brawler games ever in it.)

#640 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:17 AM

View PostPhobic Wraith, on 11 December 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

Lets give a warm welcome back to one of the greatest 'mechs in game.

Mine never left. ;)

View PostHoldfast, on 12 December 2014 - 05:45 AM, said:

I've said it several times now, but HBK-4J rocks. Between the quirks, modules, and eliting the chassis, you can cut the lrm launch time by two thirds. Yep, 10+2 missiles every 1.25 seconds. I tend to chain fire one rack every .6-ish seconds. I will say it's a very distinctive mech to play, as the rapid fire missiles end up feeling rather direct fire-ish with that speed. They're also incredibly effective as most missiles hit the center torso (because it's artemis and a 10 rack) on anything but a speeding light.

Right now I'm averaging 350 damage a match in it, and broken 800 twice. And that's with be being pretty mediocre at this game.

(I've also dusted of my SP with the new srm6 quirks, and while you tend to run out of ammo quick, I've had my best games brawler games ever in it.)

Meh, I don't care for the 4J. I dislike LRMs and, though I understand that they are a part of the game, view them as beneath me.

I'll take the 4G, 4H, 4P, and GI any day! :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users