Camo Spec Feedback

277 replies to this topic

Poll: Camo Spec costs (410 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you used any MC for Camo Specs, and if you have, how much?

1. No, I haven't used any MC on colors or patterns. (292 votes [71.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 71.22%

2. I have bought a pattern but no extra colors (7 votes [1.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.71%

3. I have used 125-250 MC on colors. (26 votes [6.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.34%

4. I have used 250-500 MC on colors. (32 votes [7.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.80%

5. I have used 500-1000 MC on colors and patterns. (27 votes [6.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.59%

6. I have used more than 1000 MC on colors and patterns. (26 votes [6.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.34%

Do you think colors should be permanent once bought instead of having to pay to for every repaint? If yes, what kind of system would you want?

1. Yes, I think colors should be permanent once bought, and they should be available for every mech I own, free of charge. (112 votes [27.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.32%

2. Yes, I think colors should be permanent once bought, and they should be available for every mech I own, but changing them should cost C-bills. (174 votes [42.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.44%

3. Yes, I think colors should be permanent once bought, but only for the mech I bought them for, and changing them on that mech should be free. (67 votes [16.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.34%

4. Yes, I think colors should be permanent once bought, but only for the mech I bought them for, and changing them on that mech should cost C-bills. (49 votes [11.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.95%

5. No, I think the current system is fine. (8 votes [1.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.95%

How much would you be willing to pay for patterns and colors if they were permanent? (The maximum you would be willing to pay!)

1. 50-125 MC per color, 100-250 MC per pattern. (227 votes [55.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.37%

2. 125-250 MC per color, 500-1000 MC per pattern. (144 votes [35.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.12%

3. 250-500 MC per color, 1000-2000 MC per pattern. (31 votes [7.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.56%

4. 500-1000 MC per color, 2000 or more MC per pattern. (8 votes [1.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#221 Xenroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 326 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

I think, the current system is nearly fine. Compared to other F2P games, you can be more creative in your own style and they are a nice to have! But the single colours should be around 75-100 MC and white and black should be at 150-200 MC, but thats the only thing i would change.

Special patterns and unique looks like the Phraken should be that expensive because they are special!So 500-1000 MC is fine for them, and you only should buy them for your favorite mechs!
And no one forces you to buy these pattern! But i agree the MC colours could be a bit cheaper, like mentioned above!

But in the end these guys also need some money to keep this game running!

#222 Vorg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

For Everyone wanting a color that isn't there, That can be solved by making the color select a simple 3 bar(RGB) slider with direct entry fields below each as I mentioned a few post back. No need to scroll through long list of colors to find the one you want. And if they make them perma-buy, then you get a color list with each color you bought and now own. Unless you go crazy and buy a lot of colors, the list would be short and easy to use. If it gets out of hand, a favorites list could be added for you to move your most used colors to.

Then no one could say, where is x color, because they are all there in the 3 bars. (not to be confused with the 3 sea shells)

#223 Prince V

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 73 posts
  • LocationA land of cautious optimism tempered with justified skepticism.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Okay, I'm going to say this politely and hopefully with an easy to understand comparison to League of Legends, another highly successful F2P game model.

LoL uses a combination of "Real money" AKA "RP" and in-game-currency AKA "IP", Just like MW:O uses MC and CB.

In LoL you can buy champions with either, in MW:O you can buy Mechs with either. So far so good.
In LoL you can buy runes (small boosts to character stats that everyone has equal access to) with IP (in-game-currency) but NOT with RP : In MW:O you can buy weapons, upgrades, etc with CB but NOT with MC. Still good so far.
In LoL you can buy premium time to increase the rate you earn IP. In MW:O you can buy premium time to increase the rate you earn CB. Still following me?
In LoL you can buy skins for your champs, purely cosmetic changes, for about the cost of a champion, with real money, but NOT with In-game-currency. In MW:O You can buy paint jobs for your mech, for about the cost of a light mech, with either CB OR MC.
Here's the thing though: When you BUY a skin in LoL... YOU OWN IT. No one, not a single person would buy a skin in LoL, for about 5-10$USD if you had to RE-BUY IT EVERY TIME YOU WANTED TO USE A DIFFERENT SKIN. That is absolutely ludicrous.

So, here are my suggestions.
1. Make PATTERNS a one-time buy across all mechs, maybe for a slightly higher base price.
2. Make COLORS a one-time buy for each mech; Colors bought with C-bills can be re-applied with a cost of about 25% of original price, colors bought with MC can be re-applied or changed without cost. See what I just did? That's an incentive to the user to invest in MC colors to avoid repeated costs. Negative reinforcement. Works wonders in marketing.

To anyone else reading this, please note, I'm not only a Gold Founder, but have also purchased 200$ in MC as well. Think what you will of that, but understand that I am not afraid to spend money on this game.
This model, however, is absurd. It's a slap-in-the-face. I understand the concept, and need, of a money-sink. Matter-of-fact, I've advocated them in previous posts and suggestions to the devs, but asking someone to pay real money for something they can't even keep is out-right offensive and will push away more customers than it will attract. Worse yet, it looks terrible, and in a world of money-grubbing, greedy F2P games, it'll set off alarm bells in people's heads faster than you can say dwindling player base.

#224 Cannon Fodder

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 53 posts
  • LocationNew Carlisle, IN

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

With his permission to post it, here is what Bryan Ekman had to say on the pricing model:

Cannon Fodder
Sent Today, 12:36 PM
Bryan,

Would you please address on the forums PGI's decision to make colors and patterns purchased with MC a one time only use and not an unlock? I don't think I have ever yet been critical of PGI, and I have much respect for all of you and love the game. I also have invested over $300 dollars in your game between two accounts and MC purchased. But the direction PGI has taken with color customization seems quite greedy. I would gladly invest MC into colors and patterns if it was a one time cost per color/pattern. But the current system, especially considering the amount of mechs I own, is WAY to expensive.

Please collectively rethink your decision to set pricing this way, and also please address this on the forums.

With respect,
(Removed my name for privacy)

Posted Image

Bryan Ekman
Creative Director Sent Today, 03:43 PM

Thanks for taking time out to send feedback (My name removed).

With upcoming phases of camo spec, you'll see a bit more of what you are looking for.

That being said, we are paying close attention to your (fan) feedback and I expect we'll make some adjustments to the system in the new year. When I have more details, look for a Command Chair post.
Bryan Ekman

Creative Director/Co-Founder

Piranha Games Inc.

@bryanekman

#225 Mikhalio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

Suggestion,

A good idea from APB:Reloaded (the only thing they really nailed): freesource graphics design to the community by giving players the ability to create content that can be uploaded to the gamefiles for a MC fee. Basic graphics such as circles, meshes, arrows and rays (people can buy 'graphics tools packs with MC). Player graphics that are uploaded into the game content are then purchasable by other players. The good content for player skins get a kickback in MC bux for every sale done (say 10% of the MC cost of someone 'buying' your content off the MC store).

What does this mean ?
PIR gets to monetize graphics development whie focusing graphics resources on development of game assets, shaders and detailings.
Community gets a 'hook' towards brand attachment, and for those who aspire to 'free to MC play' get a conduit for generating quality assets to pay for their subscriptions in a harmless tax neutral business model :D

#226 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Just remember, PGI / IGP:

The sooner you bring the MC costs of camo / paint to more reasonable levels, the sooner we can start painting our mechs eye-bleeding colors and dumping our hoarded MC...

Just sayin'.

#227 zrap

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

thanks for creating this poll, which will hopefully be helpfull for PGI.

I will not spend a single MC on camo or colors until they change the patterns/colors to be permanently available for that mech without further charge of MC.

Simply put, spending real money on virtual goods is one thing im fine with, but spending real money for TEMPORARY virtual goods is another to me. I will gladly throw some money at them when they change this, until then default colors and camo it is.

#228 Col Forbin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

I know some people get a little crazy when the words Planetside 2 are mentioned around here.... but their skin system (which is way less flexible as color choices aren't an option) has 2 different prices.... a one-time-use price for a single classes armor or single weapon, and a much higher price to unlock it to use whenever on all classes. I like that.

#229 Ranger Aodhan

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Painting your mech is a HUGE part of the battle tech universe not only to look good and to show your allegiance, but to show who you are and to let people know what they are up against. For example If I see a pink-clad mech coming my way I might think ether "What do you think you are doing to the awesomeness of this game?" or "Oh shoot! Its Paul!"

Edited by AODHAN45, 29 November 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#230 Thatguyoverthere

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

Some of the reasons (I think) that people want to paint their mech for are:
1.) To stand out.
2.) Camouflage (This is iffy).

Now, if one could simply buy about a dozen paint colors for about 8-10 bucks, and use them on any mech they own (reusable), then it would defeat purpose #1. Paints won't be very interesting if everyone in the game has them.
--This is similar to TF2. Unusual Hats are incredibly rare, but that's what makes them so attractive to have! Whereas basic hats, cheap hats, don't really make an impact on anyone else, since they're seen so often. This might be a bit of an extreme comparison, but it can be applied to MWO in the same sense. The more difficult it is to obtain and use paint (in this case, paints), the more exciting and worthwhile it'll be to have them.

However, it doesn't make sense to lose paints every time you want to switch colors on a mech. It doesn't make sense to buy one 'can' of paint and use it on multiple mechs either. When it comes to camouflage, which at this time I don't think makes a very big difference, it would be a pain in the *** to be stuck with the same arctic paintjob on a dark lunar surface, or a woodland paintjob in an arctic setting. So, what do we do? How do we keep paints at a status where having them is a bit of an accomplishment while retaining the practicality of using them to stand out / camouflage?

My proposal is a 'paintjob' type of thing. Every indiviual mech that you own can have X paintjobs, basically, different skins. Creating each of these skins would follow the same method as is in effect now. For example:
I have a Raven (RVN-4X). I want to paint it black. I put in my colors, change stuff up. The game prompts me to save for XXX MC. I hit yes. Now my RVN-4X has its own paintjob! However, let's say I want another paintjob, one that resembles some sort of videogame character or something. Rather than overwrite (at my expense) the current paint, I create a new paintjob, a new skin. I use various shades of whatever color, and save. Once again, XXX MC is deducted from my total. Now I have two paintjobs for my RVN-4X, that I can swap between for free. This method seems to be in between owning a single paint that can be used indefinitely on any mech and buying a paint one time that's overwritten on a repaint. This will make players put more time into designing their mech's paintjob but make painting practical. I honestly think that it'd be much more rewarding as well, rather than buying the paints you know you're going to use and just smacking them around over and over.

Just a thought. :(

#231 Rejarial Galatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

I will not cast my vote in this poll as I am not willing to spend even 1 MC on colors/patterns. BUT, if it were all C-Bill related:

I would buy the entire color wheel and pattern wheel, and once I do that, they are my paints, my patterns and should be free of charge to change and modify on all mechs I own.

#232 TESTIFY

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 50 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

If you buy a color a color pack or a pattern you should own it.

#233 Elder Thorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

View PostPrince V, on 29 November 2012 - 01:08 PM, said:

*wall of text comparing the pricing models of MW:O and LoL*

View PostCol Forbin, on 29 November 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

I know some people get a little crazy when the words Planetside 2 are mentioned around here.... but their skin system (which is way less flexible as color choices aren't an option) has 2 different prices.... a one-time-use price for a single classes armor or single weapon, and a much higher price to unlock it to use whenever on all classes. I like that.

i would combine those 2.
Make one time use colors and patterns cheap, and for a higher price make the same stuff available as unlock or permapurchase.

In PS2 i only bought permastuff so far, it's very expensive in comparision, but i can use it over and over again, so i am fine with that. I WANT to support the companys that make the games i like so i am fine with spending a little money here and there.

#234 Helo229

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

I think right now, as it stands, there's a huge issue with MC costs vs the FTP dynamic. I understand that PGI needs money to operate, which is why I purchased a founder package. I'm not loaded however, so I bought the $60 one. And I would have no issue with purchasing additional MC from time to time. But I feel like I have to hoard my MC for important purchases, because the price of the trivial ones such as paint jobs is so high.

In my opinion, which may be incorrect as I am admittedly not within the industry, I think that a lower price point on MC would encourage more of the player base to make an investment to the game. If you need $10, you can have a 1 in 10 ratio of players putting $10 into the game and 9 people complaining they can't afford it, or you can have 10 out of 10 putting $1 into the game and a happier player base.

Let us buy the paints individually for either $1 a color and use it on every variant of a chassis, or $5 a color to use on whatever mechs we own permanently. Skins and patterns are fine at a one time use/purchase. I have 4 mechs in my inventory currently, and I'm not going to buy any skins/paint at all if it's going to cost between $5-10 each mech, each time, especially not later in the game when I own 20 mechs.

Unrelated, but I like the hero mechs getting a boost on CP/match, however I think that they're really limiting themselves with that system. I hate the hardpoints on the Wang. I would never buy it, even for the CP boost. However, if they were to offer regular chassis purchases with MC with a boost, I would buy more. A 10 or 15% boost would make it worth my while, and I don't think it would take away from the Hero mechs sales as they would still have a bigger boost. Even if they simply just did a weekend deal from time to time of different chassis being sold with a permanent boost.

#235 Jyi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

A lot of feedback on this poll. Still about 75% of those who have voted on this poll have not paid a single buck for repaint. I think that reflects what most of MWO's playerbase are about: no nonsense mech warfare, not re-buyable one-time paintjobs. I really hope this kind of feedback will make a change, because I personally would like to buy a couple of paints and patterns if they were permanent.

Also, consider this: I think most of the playerbase would be willing to pay in C-bills to repaint after purchasing a color with MC. More C-bills spent means more C-bills are required, meaning there's more incentive to buy premium time.

#236 Xenroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 326 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

View PostTESTIFY, on 29 November 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

If you buy a color a color pack or a pattern you should own it.

If you want this to happen they will make the colours and patterns more expensive, because at the moment you pay about 2$ to paint your mech

#237 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:48 AM

There aren't enough basic colours in the c-bill selection to start with (and those colours are really odd shades).
There should be at least the basic colour wheel set:
http://en.wikipedia....RGB_color_model
Black
White
Red
Green
Blue
Cyan
Magenta
Yellow

Subshades and metallics could certainly be made available as purchase options, but without the basic colours, its not worth even looking at the camo spec options.

#238 Blackfang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 766 posts
  • LocationComing to a planet near you!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

Historically in MMOs the colours Black and White have always been really hard to get hold of/really expensive colours I find, so I think they should stay premium in my mind.

#239 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

The MC costs are a bit excessive at the moment.

The basic colors are lacking.

I honestly feel the c-bill cost is a bit extreme. Should be 75,000-100,000 per color not 300,000+. The colors cost the same as some weaponry.

Basic colors should be: Black, White, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet (the basic colors of the spectrum)

Exotic colors should be: Pink, Cyan, Aqua, Magenta (Fuchsia), Azure, Amber etc.

Metal colors (given a metallic sheen) Should be: Iron, Bronze, Gold, Steel, Silver

Desert colors should be: Lion, Camel, Coffee, Russet, Khaki, Liver

And so on. Basic colors should cost c-bills. You can mess with the c-bill costs by popularity. I.e. if black is what most people buy then you can up the cost of black to let's say 150,000 and reduce the least bought color down to say 50,000.

#240 Conraire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTexas/Georgia

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

Here's my point of view on the camo spec problem. In reality if you paint something, it stays that color and pattern until you repaint it. Once you decide to repaint something you generally can't go back to the previous paint job, after its either already been stripped and/or painted over. Get a vehicle repainted and see how that works. So no I don't think paint jobs should be swappable and permanent. The only part that I think should be purchasable permanently are the base patterns themselves. At which point, the current prices are OK, still a tad high, but tolerable if permanent on a per chassis or per mech basis.

My view is to keep the system the way it is. BUT, lower the MC costs on the more custom colors, add more c-bill colors, and lower the cost slightly on those. There should be a c-bill version of black and white. Differentiate the mc version by making them glossy/matte or pearlescent(sp?). Definitely add a chrome style color, that could be MC, and a few metal flake style colors..

I'm willing to pay some to customize my mechs, but, I'm not willing to pay near the price of a new mech for a paint job. And when you're a klepto like me and have 12 or so mechs, you can see where that would get expensive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users