Camo Spec Feedback

277 replies to this topic

Poll: Camo Spec costs (410 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you used any MC for Camo Specs, and if you have, how much?

1. No, I haven't used any MC on colors or patterns. (292 votes [71.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 71.22%

2. I have bought a pattern but no extra colors (7 votes [1.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.71%

3. I have used 125-250 MC on colors. (26 votes [6.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.34%

4. I have used 250-500 MC on colors. (32 votes [7.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.80%

5. I have used 500-1000 MC on colors and patterns. (27 votes [6.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.59%

6. I have used more than 1000 MC on colors and patterns. (26 votes [6.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.34%

Do you think colors should be permanent once bought instead of having to pay to for every repaint? If yes, what kind of system would you want?

1. Yes, I think colors should be permanent once bought, and they should be available for every mech I own, free of charge. (112 votes [27.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.32%

2. Yes, I think colors should be permanent once bought, and they should be available for every mech I own, but changing them should cost C-bills. (174 votes [42.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.44%

3. Yes, I think colors should be permanent once bought, but only for the mech I bought them for, and changing them on that mech should be free. (67 votes [16.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.34%

4. Yes, I think colors should be permanent once bought, but only for the mech I bought them for, and changing them on that mech should cost C-bills. (49 votes [11.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.95%

5. No, I think the current system is fine. (8 votes [1.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.95%

How much would you be willing to pay for patterns and colors if they were permanent? (The maximum you would be willing to pay!)

1. 50-125 MC per color, 100-250 MC per pattern. (227 votes [55.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.37%

2. 125-250 MC per color, 500-1000 MC per pattern. (144 votes [35.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.12%

3. 250-500 MC per color, 1000-2000 MC per pattern. (31 votes [7.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.56%

4. 500-1000 MC per color, 2000 or more MC per pattern. (8 votes [1.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#261 Jyi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:13 AM

View PostArborean, on 30 November 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

This poll is fairly silly. Of course people will prefer more stuff for less money. If we want this game to stay alive, PGI must make money somehow.

My advice to PGI: don't ask the players what they will pay for, use your marketing team (consultants if you have to) to figure out a profitable customization scheme.

I think your comment is fairly silly. Of course people will prefer more stuff for less money, but you never know how much they would be willing to pay unless you ask. And you might be surprised at how honest people can be when asked about things that are important to them: MWO has a community that cares for the game.

Marketing team means people who work for money. They will tell you what you want to hear as long as you pay them. They don't necessarily care whether you turn a profit yourself or, more importantly, make a good game. And you see, I think PGI actually cares about making a good and fun game and not just making a maximum profit - we're talking about the original founders of Battletech here. And, to be honest, a fun, good game will usually make profit.

Oh, and for people wondering, the poll wasn't started by PGI or forum moderators, it was started by me and merged with this Camo Spec Feedback -thread. I think that says they think the poll is worth something. And there's no "I would pay a maximum of 0 MC for permanent patterns and colors" because it just didn't occur to me some people would be so cheap as to want that option. I understand making money with customization like colors, patterns and the decals that are coming in future - and the cockpit items. After all, it takes time to implement those options for us. I just think it's asking too much to pay real money for the colors every time you apply them.

Edited by Jyi, 03 December 2012 - 02:23 AM.

#262 EnigmaNL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 379 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:03 AM

Posted ImageNo, I haven't used any MC on colors or patterns.

And I'm not going to until they let me paint my founders 'mechs.

Edited by EnigmaNL, 03 December 2012 - 03:04 AM.

#263 Josef Nader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

View PostArborean, on 30 November 2012 - 04:16 PM, said:

This poll is fairly silly. Of course people will prefer more stuff for less money. If we want this game to stay alive, PGI must make money somehow.

My advice to PGI: don't ask the players what they will pay for, use your marketing team (consultants if you have to) to figure out a profitable customization scheme.

That's a dead-end, mate. It's better to have lots of people spending money on unlocking colors once than nobody spending money on unlocking colors each time. As it stands, I'll never drop MC on colors. If I had to pay once and have colors free to my account, I'd drop -lots- of MC on acquiring colors, because I love to paint up all my mechs with varying color schemes. I love being able to aesthetically tweak my mechs, but the current system seeks to nickle-and-dime me to death to do it, ergo I refuse to buy into it and I'll stick to mixing and matching the free colors. If they made the simple change of "buy with MC once, then C-bill to apply", I'd spend a lot more money than I'm willing to admit...

#264 alpha70a

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

Well heres my ten cents on the camo setup:

1. move most current premium colors to basic
2. add something more unique to premium colors (ex. metal plating: gold, silver, chrome, etc.)
3. dramatically lower cbill cost of basic colors (I feel this should be among the cheapest things you buy in the mechlab)
4. in this case im fine with paying for each color change, including premiums (no unlock for colors)
5. increase the cost of patterns to compensate for lost revenue from premium colors, however patterns should be saved at least per variant of mech, if not per mech.
5b. maybe, MAYBE, a very high priced cbill alternative purchase option for patterns
6. I like Jiri Starrider's idea of choosing your paint schemes condition (battle worn to fresh paint) and cryengine 3 has some very convenient material blending options that should (in theory) make that quite easy to implement

#265 SlimJim8519

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationHämeenlinna Finland

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:39 AM

Havent bought any colors or new camo specs yet, because I'm waiting for more to come.
Dazzle doesn't really work for me...

#266 Minoxen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

Just to add my own feedback. There are many different configurations to monetize Camo that are listed in the poll that I would willingly buy into.

I play Heroes of Newerth and have purchased many special "Alternate Avatars" for each hero that I play. The key difference here is that I am allowed to purchase that avatar (Which involves much in development cost for some of the very nice ones. New Audio, Special Effects, custom Model, re-skin) and then choose to play with it some matches, or play the original as I want. I even own multiple versions of the same hero since it is a character I enjoy.

I think lowering the cost of experimentation with colors and patterns (by making them permanent purchases) will definitely get me involved and spending money. I think its a solid system, but I don't see myself spending money on it until my choices are more long lasting and can be freely experimented with.

Thank you

#267 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts
  • LocationIn an urbie aiming at your crotch

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:16 AM

Well i think that maybe we could decrease the paint costs, change the paint mechanic in general, make most of the paint avaible for cbills but limit them for a week and leave the perma paint for cbills tbh, free samples to hook em up, also maybe introduce community created patterns?

#268 The Sliencer

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

Unless I'm mistaken you need MC to even get started with camo.

We're still in Beta, right? We're supposed to be testing everything, finding bugs, helping tune, etc. Why do I have to pay money to test this aspect for you PGI?

#269 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

View PostThe Sliencer, on 04 December 2012 - 07:23 AM, said:

Unless I'm mistaken you need MC to even get started with camo.

We're still in Beta, right? We're supposed to be testing everything, finding bugs, helping tune, etc. Why do I have to pay money to test this aspect for you PGI?

There are a handful of free colors you can use for a C-Bill cost to change the base paint scheme of your mech.

#270 The Sliencer

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

When I was poking arround yesterday nothing was selectable which I assumed was because I have 0 MC. On reflection it should have let me select and then told me if I had insufficient anything. Maybe an interface bug? I'll look/try again tonight...

Edited by The Sliencer, 04 December 2012 - 08:19 AM.

#271 Josef Nader

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

You have to click "Basic" in the list of colors. All of those are available for C-Bills only.

#272 Nyr Vonn

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

Also you have a bug, I got the free pc gamer pattern and colors and I am unable to use them. I get an error message stating failure to purchase pattern, what gives?

#273 Chillie Willie

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Is there no camo spec for a Awesome AWS BQ?

Cant use camo spec on this mech. On my cataphract its no problem.

And i agree to the discussion that colors should stay in your account, because MC are really expansive. So make MC cheaper or make colors account-bind.

#274 Rvannith

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

View PostEnigmaNL, on 03 December 2012 - 03:03 AM, said:

Posted ImageNo, I haven't used any MC on colors or patterns.

And I'm not going to until they let me paint my founders 'mechs.

You can, to a degree- that is, the light grey stripes can be painted different colours but it is hardly noticable, unfortunately. I think the point of the founder's mechs is the unique skin, I'd personally love it if I could add something to it, with more paintable areas to make it stand out- but we've already got mechs that are apart from those who aren't founders, so I understand if PGI doesn't bother.

#275 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

i will not buy mc paints until i can keep it
i should not have to spend more money because i feel like a using an old colour

i dont have to spend each time i swap my skin out in league of legends, MWO should be no different
if you buy it, you own it

#276 Helo229

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

The thought occurred to me, that at the very least, they should refund your MC if you change back from something you've purchased.

#277 Sears

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 973 posts
  • LocationU.K

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

View PostHelo229, on 14 December 2012 - 04:36 PM, said:

The thought occurred to me, that at the very least, they should refund your MC if you change back from something you've purchased.

wouldn't that effectively make it all free? You could just revert every time and get your MC back every time you fancied a change.

Really it should be a one time MC purchase and then perhaps a cbill cost from then on for camos and paints bought.

#278 TERMINATOR SSD

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

in all honesty i think the cost is far too high. Your paint set up costs or can cost around $15-30 / £10-20. Thats WAY too much i think. Even for founders i would of thought there would be a discount of some kind.

I dont no, i just think its too high of a price. all in all im put off painting my mech now :-(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users