Steel Battalion controller and win 7 64-Bit drivers

417 replies to this topic

#1 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

Well looks like someone has finally written some drivers for the Steel Battalion controller for Windows 7 64-bit. Looks like he has it running for MW4, but on the MWLL forums he says it can be set up for any game it's just a matter of editing a few .ini files.

Install instructions:

"Proof of life"

Might be interesting to see if anyone takes the time to get this working with MW:O when it comes out. Or even better maybe the devs could take a look at supportign it ;)

#2 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

If anyone is interested in any of the specifics on how this works, I'll be glad to help. Mapping all the buttons took two evenings (not difficult, just lots of buttons) I'll be glad to help as long as someone is willing to take the lead in modifying the ini files.

Edited by HackNFly, 08 May 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#3 Ter Ushaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationGnomeregan, Dun Morogh

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

This has made my day. I was seriously considering a crazy dual-boot setup with XP just so I could run my SB controller in MWO. Even though it looks a bit kludgy, this will save me all that headache.

When/if I get my closed beta invite, it will be time to get out some big zip-ties and mount my SB controller to my sawhorse! :)

Edited by Ter Ushaka, 26 May 2012 - 01:23 PM.

#4 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:02 PM

I agree, the installation procedure is a bit kludgy, but it does provide some flexibility, and there's no risk of crashing your system as there is when using a standard driver. Also makes it a lot easier to make custom mixes. I've signed up for the beta as well. If I don't get in, then I"ll provide what support I can without the game.

#5 Ter Ushaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

From what I understand, the NDA expressly forbids people from saying they have been given access to the closed beta. This will legally prevent such assistance (beta participant to non-beta participant) until such time as the agreement is lifted.

#6 Stormlight666

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

View PostTer Ushaka, on 27 May 2012 - 01:05 PM, said:

From what I understand, the NDA expressly forbids people from saying they have been given access to the closed beta. This will legally prevent such assistance (beta participant to non-beta participant) until such time as the agreement is lifted.

Now that was a Captain Buzzkill answer. Nothing wrong with a non-beta participant helping out someone with hypothetical key bindings.

As long as you send the videos in to the devs so they can see you blowing the crap out of them in style.

#7 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

Or it provides incentive for Dev's to give me beta access :) Either way, even if thats not the case, I'm trying to provide support for the controller for Windows 7 64 bit, so someone that needs help for any game can contact me and they don't even have to reveal what game they need help with if they are under NDA restrictions, if they leave a comment on the Youtube channel, then I wouldn't' even be able to connect them with their pilot name.

Additionally, as a programmer, I understand NDAs so if a developer doesn't want me to help they can contact me and I'll be happy to comply.

#8 Ter Ushaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

Fair enough, just wanted to get that out there. :)

#9 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

Thank you, by the way, where did you find public information on whats in the NDA, I'd like to keep informed if possible.

#10 Ter Ushaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

Right here :)
http://mwomercs.com/...post__p__274191

View PostPaul Inouye, on 25 May 2012 - 02:59 PM, said:

And to those lucky enough to get INTO Beta...

You are bound by NDA...

NOT ALLOWED TO SAY YOUR PARTICIPATING IN BETA ANYWHERE

Being removed from Beta may or may not extend past the Launch date. Behave!

Edited by Ter Ushaka, 27 May 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#11 KuramaKitsune

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

dude that is just SICK

#12 Yuba Frank

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

How did he get MW4 working with 64 bit? I see he wrote the code to get the controller working in 64 bit, but the game itself too? My MW4 won't work on my computer...

#13 Charles Martel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationQuentin. Wish you were here Hanse?

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

View PostYuba Frank, on 02 June 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

How did he get MW4 working with 64 bit? I see he wrote the code to get the controller working in 64 bit, but the game itself too? My MW4 won't work on my computer...

MekTek MW4 runs fine on 64-bit.

#14 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

Try using the free mektek version as mentioned above, I'm not sure if the original CD version works in Windows 7. Also, there is a known issue which will cause the game to crash on 64 bit. You have to add the /gosnovideo option under target when you right click the MW4Mercs option.

Here's mine for example:
"G:\Elements\Mechwarrior Mercenaries - Mektek Mekpak\MW4Mercs.exe" /gosnovideo

#15 Nasty9

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:56 PM

View PostYuba Frank, on 02 June 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

Lots of old software doesn't like NXbit. If you disable it most things should run no problem. Hell, I run MW3 on my computer with no problems.

#16 Rikichi

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:14 PM

....God Mech Warrior 3....Anyone else remember the UA servers MSN Gaming Zone used to host?...U(nlimited)A(mmo)....people would get these huge assault mechs dump all the armor in the front and slap on nothing but a salvo of the biggest AC cannons or LRMs they could get ahold of....

Me?....I used the lightest mech, stripped it of armor, put the best damend engine in it, about 5 clan AMS, jump jets, and 16 machine guns.....they couldnt hit me, missles took too long to get to me and AMS would take care of the ones I didnt out run, and 16 machine guns point blank to the un armored back sides were a killing blow to anyone....gawd...

......I dont know HOW but, some how you reminded me of this all Nasty9. I only dinked around on the UA servers for fun, but..SOMEHOW you brought those memories back......

Onto more RELATED notions, If I had money to do so, I would right now be screaming "TAKE ALL OF IT!" while throwing an assortment of currency to the individuals who are responsible for this awesome.

Edited by Rikichi, 02 June 2012 - 10:15 PM.

#17 Tag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 204 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick, Canada

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

Just wanted to draw attention back to this and also throw in some comments/suggestions:

First off hacknfly, thank you from the bottom of my heart for being the person to finnaly make this dream come true.

Second, i posted on the google code an issue ive been having in getting the software to run correctly. Mainly that the software becomes unresponsive when first running it. My solution to this has been to close the software, unplug the controller, plug it back in and try again. Eventually it works, lol

Third, by default the control scheme has the right joystik controling vertical aiming as well as full body turning, with the left joystik controlling horizontal aiming(the thumbstick is replication of "aiming"). Basically by default the ability to aim is determinded by two different joystiks, each one controlling a single axis.

So this is kinda awkard. Mainly since the left joystik only has horizontal movement, and full body movement is only left/right(ie, you press left, your mech spins to the left, there is no vertical axis to consider), so with that, it makes more sense to have the left joystik mapped to full body movement, with the right joystiq having full "aim" (horizontal/vertical axis aiming) control.

So to fix this is actually kinda easy. Under PPJoy in the start menu, select "Configure Joystik". Select PPJoy Virtual Joystik 1", and click "mapping". Select "set a custom mapping for this controller" under either option(the top option changes the default for all controllers, bottom for just this controller). On axis 1, change it to Z Rotation. On Axis 4, change it to X Axis. Click next until completed, everything else can be left as is. Restart your computer.

Now, i had to use the windows built in "configure joypad" to get the sticks to respond propperly(ie if you dont, your controller may be "stuck" in a certain direction) You will have to play with this a bit, as windows does not detect everything correctly, you may get some sensor flickering and crazyness, but it was fairly easy to figure out. Note however that windows will now detect the left joystiq as controlling the x axis, and the right the Y axis, so the first configuration screen that asks you to make circles with the x/z axis, just use the two to hit all 4 corners

Also, just a little tidbit, make sure to change the controls in mechwarrior's options to "PPJoy Virtual Joystiq 1", by default it isnt selected and wont work.

Lastly hacknfly, i havent had much time to look/play around with the controls, so as far as i am aware, the tuner dial/communication buttons and function switches dont control anything at the moment? Or atleast by default they didnt seem to controll anything? Id love for you to correct me if im wrong, lol. Anyways hacknfly youve made me happy, and im gonna get some good mechwarrior 4 game play in this weekend, and dream of getting into the beta

#18 HackNFly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

Thank you for taking the time to test out my library. You clearly have some technical competency as you thoroughly tested the issue you ran into. I haven't run into that issue before, but I will do my best to replicate it.

As far as the control axis. That was just my attempt at doing something different. I don't actually own the SB controller, so progress with it has to come in bursts. I'm planning on borrowing it again next week, and working on the user interface. Ideally I'd like the user to have the choice to map buttons to buttons or to keystrokes as well as to be able to do any custom axis mapping they might desire.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll do my best to improve the interface for future use. Sorry you went through so much trouble. Changing axis mapping currently only takes changing two lines of code.

~Santiago

#19 Vincent Vascaul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationEverett, Wa

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

I am now hunting for a Steel Batt controller to do this.

#20 Vincent Vascaul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts
  • LocationEverett, Wa

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

Found one, it should be in my hands in about a week or so.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users