Betty Feedback

299 replies to this topic

Poll: About Betty's voice speed and warnings. (351 member(s) have cast votes)

¿Do you think Betty's voice should be played a little faster to be more effective, to sound less dozed and get a faster game rhythm?

1. Yes. (237 votes [67.52%])

Percentage of vote: 67.52%

2. No. (114 votes [32.48%])

Percentage of vote: 32.48%

¿Do you think we should be allowed to configure what kind or warnings do we get from Betty?

1. Yes. (321 votes [91.45%])

Percentage of vote: 91.45%

2. No. (30 votes [8.55%])

Percentage of vote: 8.55%

¿Do you think Betty's voice should be tweaked to sound more electronic, a little like GLaDOS or Crysis Nano Suit?

1. Yes. (134 votes [41.88%])

Percentage of vote: 41.88%

2. No. (186 votes [58.13%])

Percentage of vote: 58.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 Obelus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 275 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:52 AM

Tend to agree with OP.

#242 AvatarofWhat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 591 posts
  • LocationAntares

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

I just want her voice to sound a bit more computerized, then it would be awesome.

Oh, and fix the sound stuttering issue please.

Otherwise it's freaking great!

#243 Swiss Beats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

"Dave, what are you doing.. Dave?"

#244 Death Mallet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

I love it.

The only one I'd suggest ditching is the "New Target Selected" line. . . since that's generally in response to something I did.

I like the ongoing reminders of base cap. I like the other messages she gives.

I agree with the suggestion to just give people a screen where they can check off the messages they want to hear from her and that will make everybody happy.

The voice itself is fine as-is. . . although I wouldn't mind something a little more sultry/sexy and less monotone. I want her to use a "come-hither" tone when telling me my right arm was just blown off. :D LOL

Generally the voice messages should be in response to things that are happening/happen to you. . . as opposed to things you do.

Edited by Death Mallet, 29 November 2012 - 08:12 AM.

#245 Pietas

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:18 AM

How do I turn it off... I havent needed a woman to tell me im on target since i was a teenager :-)

#246 Thrak

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

View PostThrak, on 29 November 2012 - 04:45 AM, said:

One thing that is wierd is the messages they have chosen:

I mean why 'ammo at 25%' or 'jump jet fuel at 25%', surely 'ammo low' or 'fuel low' would be better.

View PostAdrienne Vorton, on 29 November 2012 - 05:53 AM, said:

??? what´s wrong about that??? well... i guess i don´t have to understand^^

It's SLOWER and invariably gets cut off. And the jumpjet message can just about finish as you run out if you are hammering them. They need to be quick snappy messages imo.

#247 madpeople

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

Said yes to #3, but not sure computerized is what I want, I know I want it to sound a bit different though.

Yes for the first 2 for sure though. But for #1 for different reasons - things happen fast in a fight, she needs to be able to keep up.

#248 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

new target acquired loops too much. Once per target every 15-30 seconds perhaps?

Betty needs to sound a little better digitized, ie audio enhancements.

Ideally a key to press to silence Betty for 15 Seconds would be great.

Great to have her back though. Thank you PGI!

#249 RFMarine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

for my android cellphone I have (I think it's Betty) from mission 1 of mech commander 1 saying "command interface initiated Incoming Transmission <Beep>" as the SMS tone. I carried it over from my previous cellphone of 2007 vintage also had that SMS tone since it was new

And from MW2 I have "shutting down" for when I lock/turn off the screen and "weapons online, all systems nominal <tone>" for after I unlock the screen

Edited by RFMarine, 29 November 2012 - 08:32 AM.

#250 Daimonos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 117 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

I too am experiencing sound issues, stuttering and lag. Betty interferes with other environmental sound: weapons firing, missiles landing, even engine noise. I like her voice: no need for any changes in what she sounds like. I would like to be able to opt out of some things - 'new target selected' is spurious, since I know just pressed R. Mostly though I'd just like the old sounds to continue working.

#251 Kraita

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

Would Betty please stop telling me I have targeted a mech or targeted a new one. I know I have done that I just pressed the button I don't need to be told about something I have just done.

Personally I only want to be notified of things that are happening such as overheating or the base is under attack.

#252 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

1) Like the voice --- would like her to talk a little bit faster
2) Like the details she can say --- would like only essential information (less is more)

The ability to select in-game the options to turn her on / off completely would be great... and / or the options to turn on / off which information she offers! ie. a checklist of details she could give us.

Frankly, from a competitive point of view, she's distracting and interferes a little bit without giving the essential information I want.

Overall, she's a great addition.

Let's help sort out this beta!

#253 Sky walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

Get rid of useless sounds (like the one about target selected - obvious doesn't need commentary), add some more important stuff (like where you lost all your armor), speed up whole thing and make it sound bit more artificial.
Bang! We'll be set.

#254 Demetirus

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB, Canada.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

Ahh, welcome back Betty. I've missed you. <3

#255 sC4r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 475 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

As it is i find it that there are too much "useless" information that betty is giving
these to be specific:
1.Jets are at 25%
2.Constant shouting that my mech heat is critical (when it is), would be better if it say only 1x when your heat gets above 80% and next time if you cooldown bellow this and hit critical temperature again (i hope you understand what i mean :))
3.Targeting different enemy

Would be nice if player could choose what betty announces (but if you remove 1. and 3. i think this will not be necessary)

What could be announced though could be that when there is no enemy on sensor and you spot one there could be message like:
-Enemy target detected

Also her voice could be more metalic
Otherwise really nice thx for some ingame voice :)

#256 Ocaro

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

Having her inform me that I just changed my target every single damn time is...ugh.

So you certainly got my vote for possible alert configuration.

#257 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

The implementation is good, I like it. Keep building on it and tweaking it. A bit of an artificial aural filter wouldn't be bad since, yes, it is coming over speakers in the neurohelmet that are pressed up against the ears (and no, neurohelmets are not wetwired and they are not direct brainwave communicators).

#258 Zenner

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

I wanted to add my two cents from a pilot's perspective.

a '******** betty' is designed to announce a problem without panicking the crew. The voice is female because a male voice made pilot's more uneasy whenever it spoke, (though some airliners actually have an option to change the gender of the voice.)

It speaks very matter-of-factly and at a rather slow rate to ensure that the message is received clearly, and that it doesn't panic the flight crew.

I read elsewhere that someone didn't like the voice seeming so crisp and clear and in your head. In modern day systems this is by design, most aircraft are equipped so that the voice comes through the pilot's headsets, as well as from a speaker in the flight deck.

So in short, no, I don't think it should be changed.

#259 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

View PostSky walker, on 29 November 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

Get rid of useless sounds (like the one about target selected - obvious doesn't need commentary), add some more important stuff (like where you lost all your armor), speed up whole thing and make it sound bit more artificial.
Bang! We'll be set.

A Warning: Internals exposed would be nice indeed

#260 Moldycrow

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

I wish it could be like in Mechwarrior 3, the computer speaks fast and to the point. It doesn't need to say "New target Acquired" every single time, "Targeting" works just fine.

Every time I hear "New target acquired" I just think of this:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users