Betty Feedback

299 replies to this topic

Poll: About Betty's voice speed and warnings. (351 member(s) have cast votes)

¿Do you think Betty's voice should be played a little faster to be more effective, to sound less dozed and get a faster game rhythm?

1. Yes. (237 votes [67.52%])

Percentage of vote: 67.52%

2. No. (114 votes [32.48%])

Percentage of vote: 32.48%

¿Do you think we should be allowed to configure what kind or warnings do we get from Betty?

1. Yes. (321 votes [91.45%])

Percentage of vote: 91.45%

2. No. (30 votes [8.55%])

Percentage of vote: 8.55%

¿Do you think Betty's voice should be tweaked to sound more electronic, a little like GLaDOS or Crysis Nano Suit?

1. Yes. (134 votes [41.88%])

Percentage of vote: 41.88%

2. No. (186 votes [58.13%])

Percentage of vote: 58.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#281 Rejarial Galatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 29 November 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

I just heard the current voice for the first time.

Yes Im glad its been added and I like it but I hope its a placeholder / first pass. Its too slow, too passive, too soft, I can barely hear it. It has none of the urgency, volume or sultry huskiness of MW2. Im sure PGI will get all the mechanics and timing right then replace the voice with what it should be.

Carol Ruggier.. we need you. Its not MW without you.

that IS her voice ya know, the one in THIS game, RIGHT NOW.

#282 Kelpaz

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationAzgariith

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:50 AM

View PostAndar89, on 27 November 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

Am I the only one, who wants a male voice? like the one from crysis

I would love to have the Crysis nanosuit voice as the voice to my mech.
Even funnier would be if it almost always used the word Maximum...

#283 Dagnome

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 906 posts
  • LocationNew Hampster

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

I appreciate the value of betty in the game but she spoke way to much for my taste so I slid that dialogue volume bar down to null. It is hard to focus on teamspeak and in game coordination with betty telling me everything that is happening in the game.

I didn't like her but I like the value and class she brings to the game.

#284 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

My issue with Betty is the system doesn't change fast enough during battle. For instance I'll target someone and she'll play the "enemy targeted" sound but then I'll be forced to switch over after and she doesn't play it a second time. That or audio sometimes cuts off.

#285 Watchit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

I'm really happy with the new voice, even though it is a little slow on the input.

#286 ZliDiabetichar

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

a question for the PGI staff:
If we make an unofficial sound pack, and we post it on the net for free (for download) are we by doing this doing anything illegal? (new voice, not editing your sounds)

It would contain an installer (that would install new and backup the original file(s)) with a publicly available MWO logo (as a header in the installer).
No company names will be in the installer (not even PGI).

P.S. if we make the sound pack publicly available, can i get 2 more beta invites for the staff that did the sound pack :)

Edited by ZliDiabetichar, 01 December 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#287 Tannhauser Gate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 30 November 2012 - 06:04 PM, said:

that IS her voice ya know, the one in THIS game, RIGHT NOW.

OMG youre right! Sweet! How did I miss that?

Last but not least *******’ BETTY is in the game! Yes that is Carrol Ruggier’s voice, of MechWarrior 2 fame, in the game! We still have more audio to add (*cough*, start-up sequence, *cough*), and some more system refinement, but we just couldn’t make you wait any longer!

Edited by LakeDaemon, 01 December 2012 - 10:42 PM.

#288 Valaska

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

No on all 3, she's perfect.

#289 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:18 AM

I like it, it could use being as if it was played inside the cockpit rather than being as clean as it is now though

#290 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:19 AM

Yes to all. I'm using a modified pack with faster voice, also has claxons added in for critcal things like missiles incoming.

#291 Jalen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 181 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

My two cents:

I do not like the voice in the game. However, since PGI has graciously included the option for me to turn her down/off, I'm completely cool with her being there. I played one match with her yapping, decided that it just wasn't something I wanted to hear, and turned her down to 0. Works absolutely perfectly for me from here.

Keep the option for me to mute or turn her off, and I'm one happy camper. I'm glad you put the voice in, even though I personally don't want to hear it. Since the option to turn it off is there, I couldn't be more satisfied with the addition.

#292 Crazycajun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 356 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

I just like to have her volume turned up a notch or 2...to be able to hear her more clearly...

<happy hall monitors?>

#293 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

I'd like the option of George Takei's voice being available.....

"ooooh myyyy - Incoming Missiles!"

#294 Cache

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 746 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

I lost my HUD to the yellow screen bug in a match tonight. Disabling HUD allowed me to see clearly but i still had no displays. Betty worked just fine and with her gorgeous voice calling out warnings and target locks, a lot of dead-reckoning, and a great team we won (with me getting 2 kills. 1 assist. and 0 friendly fire incidents). I won't complain about her one bit, but if the devs are taking feedback I think it would help to speed up the warnings a touch.

#295 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 01 December 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

OMG youre right! Sweet! How did I miss that?

Last but not least *******’ BETTY is in the game! Yes that is Carrol Ruggier’s voice, of MechWarrior 2 fame, in the game! We still have more audio to add (*cough*, start-up sequence, *cough*), and some more system refinement, but we just couldn’t make you wait any longer!

i missed it too, at first, then, the inflections caught my attention XD

#296 Tannhauser Gate

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

View PostPredator01cz, on 30 November 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

I've got my expectations way too high from this trailer.
Got a bit disappointed after I patched. Her voice is way slower than in the trailer.
She kinda sounds like she's about to fall asleep any second.. "New target... yawn... acquired"
The trailer version of her voice is about perfect, or at least the way that I would be absolutely satisfied with.

I agree with Predator01cz. The trailer Betty's cadence and tone are near perfect imo so PGI knows exactly what they are working toward.

Edited by LakeDaemon, 03 December 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#297 Darkhands

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

I've extracted all of Betty's audio files and manually removed the artificial delays ("Right torso ::pausepausepause:: destroyed"), and increased the speaking speed of each clip by 10%. It's much more informative and quicker to give information now.

The only problem is that either external sound files are specifically prevented from being used (unlikely, since the film grain shader can be replaced in the same way, just by adding the file to the correct place in the directory structure), or I'm just unable to come up with the proper directory to place them in right now.

The original sounds are located in 'Mechwarrior Online\Game\Sounds.pak'. The directory structure inside the .pak file is 'Sounds\dialogue_eng', so I tried placing the edited files in 'Mechwarrior Online\Game\Sounds\dialogue_eng' but haven't had any luck so far. I also tried putting 'Sounds\dialogue_eng' in the Engine folder just to be safe, but no luck there either.

Any ideas? Do I have to repack the sounds in a .pak?

Edited by Darkhands, 03 December 2012 - 07:29 PM.

#298 Marukeru

• Pip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Now, I am happy with her the way she is, though, I do think it would be rather neat to provide a checklist in the options for things she responds too. Maybe you don't want a warning for target being acquired? then you'd uncheck that on the list and she wouldn't say it, but would still say the other things. I like the option being available is my point here.

As for the speed she speaks and her voice: I think her speed is fine, she could speed up a bit, but honestly I like it the way it is. I have ample time to react (unless 3-5 things happen all at once..) And as for her voice, I like the clearness of it, if she sounded more like GLaDOs then she'd feel too inhuman and less like the Classic *******' Betty we know.

#299 GanglarToronto

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

I'd like to be able to configure what she says and how fast she says it.

#300 JesterMWO

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 93 posts
  • LocationFife, Scotland

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Will the startup sequence be added at some point? I'd like to hear it at the start of a drop and possibly restart after a shutdown.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users