80 replies to this topic

#21 Broad5ide

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 255 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:22 AM

The dev's said that faction camos will be unlockable through community warfare. Don't let that stop you from doing it on your own before then though :)

#22 Infinite1

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:37 AM

I'm happy with black and blue. As long as they coincide with each other

#23 TipsyMcSwaggart

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

This is clearly the best camo in the sphere.
Posted Image

Edited by TipsyMcSwaggart, 15 March 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#24 Strykewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts
  • LocationRogue River, Oregon

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

Hmmmm...flesh tones. Nekkid woman. Would get me the drop on just about everyone. ;)

#25 DrSmurfy

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 17 posts
  • LocationWiltshire, UK

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

Really liking them all very much! Colours important i think, I'm not so sure on a uniform Pattern maybe :)

#26 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

View PostPapa Pop, on 06 February 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

Edit: Went with this scheme for the freemen arctic camo, not perfect but looks good imo.
Posted Image

^ Me gusta ;)
For authenticity, I might substitute Battleship Grey for the Camo Blue. Then again, Battleship Grey is apparently a premium color, so Camo Blue and Camo Green are fine.

When I look at camospecs.com, I see most of the paint schemes shown are for "special occaisions".
They only show actual camo for the 2nd Freemen and the 3rd Hussars.
Out of those two, I like the 2nd Freemen arctic scheme the best.
...But it seems like we have a lot of leeway to experiment with whatever we consider appropriate camouflage.

I think I know the answer, but is there any advantage to camouflage in this game?
Or is it just whatever we think looks cool?

#27 joedawg39s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 239 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

Before the heat vision changes it was mainly to look cool, still is but, you can hide if you are shutdown/out of sensor range or in ECM and mabye throw off someones aim if you blend in to the background. Having some kind of urban/snow camo like that^ would probably be your best bet since it covers the most maps. I use camo grey/camo light grey/and camo blue when i want to blend in.

#28 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

Lately I started paying a little attention to paint schemes in combat, and I started using a combination of 2/3 Camo Light Tan, and 1/3 Camo Light Grey. I wanted light desert colors, and added the whitish grey to look like snow and make it a little more Rasalhaguian.

When my mech blew up and collapsed on the Tourmaline Desert, I got the outside view and thought I might actually have decent camo there. If it wasn't for the billowing smoke, my wreckage might be invisible! It should be equally good for the Caustic Valley. On maps with actual snow, it doesn't work as well.

At a long distance, enemy mechs look like little silhouettes. They're visible except against a really dark background. Close up, you can't miss them. But, there might be a range in between where camo at least makes them take an extra second to make out your outline and line up their guns.

Edited by Liquid Leopard, 21 April 2013 - 05:47 AM.

#29 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

View PostStrykewolf, on 15 March 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

Hmmmm...flesh tones. Nekkid woman. Would get me the drop on just about everyone. ;)

Light camo tan, with boobies painted around the lenses of some lasers? :D

#30 Vhetra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 187 posts
  • LocationRadstadt

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostAlexEss, on 06 March 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

Just be sure to use a non-leaded and non-toxic paint when adorning your unit... And if you are in a relationship one that is water solvable is most likley a good idea.

Why would we use Lyran paints?

The 5th Drakøns have adopted a black/Zircon/Red pattern to almost all of our mechs with some minor variations(Some just don't look good/right) and for the ones that have it, we use the PC Gamer skin because it looks clean and Dragons' basic camo pattern is hideous. The Atlas, we mostly use Tiger stripe because it's one of the few that look exceptionally good. We also splash some Phranken pattern in on certain mechs(mostly lights, but the Dragon looks really good, too)

Dragon 1C, the variant we use the most.
Posted Image

This was my old 5N, but I wanted to show off the Phranken because we think it looks pretty **** on Dragons when done right.
Posted Image

Atlas DDC is another one of our popularly-used mechs when we need Assaults. Though we usually have a Stalker stomping around, too. I don't have a Stalker, however so I can't show you that scheme. We settled on Tiger Stripes for the Atlas because it looks really awesome. On this one I threw in some Battleship grey to separate the Zircon and black.
Posted Image

The Raven is one of my favorite Phranken patterns, though in this one the colors are reversed(I took these a while back when we were coming up with designs, but I no longer own a Raven.) The newer scheme was to swap Zircon with the red, so it looked like the Raven had blood all over it.
Posted Image

Spider 5D, our popular light. It came to my attention that we favor mechs most people disregard as useless(The Dragon and the Spider). Most of us have at least one dragon and one spider. We do pretty well for ourselves, though.
Posted Image

We've been experimenting with some more traditional shades of blue and grey, recently for actual camo. I have a highlander with a digital camo and a Centurion with a digital camo. Neither are mechs I use in 8man drops, but I really like the way their schemes came out. I'll post them when/if I get down to refining what colors I like best.

#31 joedawg39s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 239 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

The black/Zircon looks really good, and it really says FRR more than the cannon blue paterns imo. I do black/black/zicon on one of my cataphracts with woodland camo. Since I have 3 of all my mechs I've been doing one black/Zircon, one the cannon, blue/grey/red (or the blue camo in my sig) and one arctic, grey/white/camo blue.

#32 Vhetra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 187 posts
  • LocationRadstadt

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:06 AM

View Postjoedawg39s, on 30 April 2013 - 05:48 PM, said:

The black/Zircon looks really good, and it really says FRR more than the cannon blue paterns imo. I do black/black/zicon on one of my cataphracts with woodland camo. Since I have 3 of all my mechs I've been doing one black/Zircon, one the cannon, blue/grey/red (or the blue camo in my sig) and one arctic, grey/white/camo blue.

We were experimenting with some blues as well, seeing if we could work it in, but in the end we fell back to Blac/Zircon/Red. The lore I've been writing for our group is kind of invalid until the clans invade, as the 5th Drakøns was named such in honor of the lost Drakøn units during the invasion. Thus the red stripe serves as a reminder of the blood spilled and comrades lost.

I agree, the black on Zircon has a much better contrast and goes together crisply. Though a nice grey shade(My preference being Battleship grey) can really bring out the two nicely as well.

Edited by Vhetra, 01 May 2013 - 04:06 AM.

#33 Viperion

• PipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 75 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:20 AM

On my Cata K2 i use pranken pattern with both obsidian black with last with hellblau. it looks awesome imo

#34 joedawg39s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 239 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

I'll link to it cuz it ended up huge but, here are my mechs. I think my next buy is going to be a tan so I can do the real arctic camo and a pattern for at least one of my stalkers. Although I might just wait it out to see what we are getting for faction specific camo unlocks. Even if we just get the splinter camo they use for the arctic and 3rd hussars I would be happy.
Posted Image

#35 Abivard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

Three colors are on the correct FRR shield, blue, lt blue and green, in that order.

quibble about the exact nomenclature of each shade if you will, but any combination of the above along with black/grey to sub for any of the three should be just fine.

However white, grey and blue are the colors of the conquered/subjected former worlds of the Republic under clan dominance.

The tertiary color can really be any color whatsoever, it could stand for anything, officer, sergeants, a Unit like your regiment,battlion ,company,lance, your place in the lance, the mechs role, recon, indirect, long-range, close range etc ad infinitum.

Edited by Abivard, 01 May 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#36 Vhetra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 187 posts
  • LocationRadstadt

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostAbivard, on 01 May 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

However white, grey and blue are the colors of the conquered/subjected former worlds of the Republic under clan dominance.

I'll make a note never to use such a pattern.

**** the clans. Tukayyid forever.

#37 Papa Pop

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

Updating with non SweetFX pics (as I've not been using it for a long time) plus a few more mechs with the FRR arctic camo pattern.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Was going to try it out on the Highlander as well, but for some reason the woodland camo for it has permanent black spots in the pattern.

EDIT: Also Fang and Flame

Posted Image

Posted Image

#38 Lan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 119 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

Given the coloration of the flag, I made a attempt.

Posted Image

Pretty close in my eyes, opinions?

#39 Lan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 119 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

The colors in this sale is pretty much what we need for the FRR scheme, if you are planning to get blues, you may want to consider it.

#40 klink

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

I went for the 2nd Freeman camo which is hard without the stars or runes but I feel like the mountain line camo does an adequate job

Posted Image
My Swayback
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users