Item Repair Costs In Relation To Sale Value, When Compared To Armor Costs.

9 replies to this topic

#1 Deadoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

Frankly, armor repair costs are out of hand compared to engine and item repair costs.

An xl 280 engine if it were possible to be damaged down to 0%, would cost a mere 57,200 while having a sale value of 0. The same xl engine at 25% has a repair cost of 42,900 and a sale value of 571,666, when repaired it's sale value goes up to 2,286,667. This has a derived repair cost of ~0.93% of original cost to repair, while armor has a full priced 25% of original cost to repair. This is pretty much derived from the given values for minimum health for each item.

At 10 tons of armor(100,160) stripped off from a lengthy match you can expect a repair cost of around 25040. If you were to plug in the % of the reactor costs it would cost a mere 940 cbills, thus becoming very profitable and comparable to structure repair costs.

I'd recommend however a 10% repair cost of armor, making it around 1000 cbills per ton of armor, while this would also make ferro more viable due to it's current repair costs are kind of out there. A fully armored atlas would pay ~19-20k on a full stripping, which happens quite often from what I've seen. Compared to 47,576(25% of his armor original costs) which makes repairing a xl fusion reactor cheaper than armor. While if I use the same % as my own reactors costs it costs 45964 to repair a 300XL, it still costs less to repair the repair from 25%.

Even if it is justified by buying new armor, it wouldn't make much sense to have it cheaper to repair a fusion reactor than it does to repair armor. It is understandable that it should cost more money to repair your tier 2 tech more than your standard stuff, but a tier 2 tech item should not have lower repair costs than a tier 1 tech item.

Edited by Deadoon, 27 November 2012 - 10:16 PM.

#2 Voidsinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,340 posts
  • LocationAstral Space

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

I'd have to agree. When it comes to repair costs, armour is treated inconsistently.

Usually, this would balance out, but it makes Ferro-fibrous totally a money pit for little advantage.

If armour had a similar repair factor to other items, Ferro-fibrous would still have a bling premium, but a reasonable one that would see more players consider using it.

#3 Rejarial Galatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

I am a founder, obviously XD. I gotta say, the repair mechanic is outrageously bad right now. Given that we get a FREE repair/rearm to 75% of our normal values, we should have nice and tidy small repair bills. BUT... This is not the case. I had a match tonight, my first of this new patch, and with my founders CLOCK at a standstill, and IN my FOUNDERS atlas, I had an end of match <BEFORE REPAIR/RELOAD> earning of 98k. 1 spotting bonus, what ever paltry amount you make on a lose, and Atlas Founder bonus. I was torn to bits because I was floored when it dawned on me that the voice is Carole Ruggier, the TRUE voice of Mechwarrior. Didnt read the spoiler thingy for the patch. The voice was off, but those inflections...I digress. I had a repair/rearm bill that was MORE than my 'earnings' from the match.

Ferror Armor <FULL>
4 Medium Lasers
1 Gauss Rifle
13 Double HS
8 Ton Gauss Ammo <1.5 tons used in match>
STANDARD ENGINE the 300.
STANDARD Chassis.

Lost in Combat:
2ML, 1 Gauss Rifle, LA, HALF armor. and I went into the RED, paid more money for that fight than I earned. PGI, you gotta tweak this. IF even a FOUNDER in a FOUNDER MECH, cannot make even a LITTLE cash in a loss, I seriously doubt the Free Players in a non trial mech will make ANYTHING AT ALL.

#4 Legionn

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:58 AM

I noticed this major discrepancy as well. I pilot Heavy mechs, usually either missile support or a mix of heavy ballistics and backup lasers, depending on the group composition, and found that during a winning match where I survived with 2 or more kills to my name, my repair/rearm costs were more than my winning take in the match (no premium/founder/hero bonus). Need I even mention how far into the red I went in a losing match where I also died?

Essentially this boils down to any player that does not have premium time and/or use a founder/hero mech has to use energy boats and win more matches than losing or use the "zombie" mech exploit and be a deadweight to the team in order to turn a profit. I greatly dislike being pigeonholed into specific playstyles, especially ones I do not like, in order to get anywhere in a game. I have stopped playing until something changes since even winning is costing me money right now.

#5 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

I am with Legionn here. they need to turn down the costs, because if even FOUNDERS cannot turn a profit using our founders mech, then what hope do the true free players who do not purchase MC to get premium clocks have? It is forcing those of us who want to have ANY hope of making ANY money to spend REAL money just to make FAKE money OR to play in ways we have no desire to play if we still want our MW fix. gotta be changed.

#6 Phoenix Alien

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

With Dragon C1 - with only XL280 I lose C-bills when cored.
Support to the topic
I hope Devs listen soon...

#7 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

Well at least they don't need to reduce the costs...they have to bolster the salvage.
For example my team spent 6tons of LRM ammunition..
on the other hand they were able to disable two catapults and 2 centurions with together at least 5 tons of LRM ammunition.
Why do they have to buy new ammunition, while you can walk allong the battlefield and pick what you need.

Same with armor and items. I'm not so sure about internal structure however.

On the other hand this will allow to increase the gap between victory and lose. It even would allow gain more for a flawless victory. For example you have won the battle through base capping, you have killed 7 mechs - the last will surrender on auto, or he is afk and you didn't loose anything -> Resulting in a salvage of 100% of every thing on the field.
You have lost 4 mechs and killed 6 - no base capture -> you will get only 16% of salvage and so on.

#8 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

I really love the idea of actual salvaged gear, and I think PGI is leaning that direction. I remember hearing a post about it some time ago. But here is the issues to overcome:

- Who gets what salvage?
- Do we need post-game lobbies for salvage?
- Who is prioritized for paticular parts of salvage?
- When salvage is received, is it removed from the other player?
- If not, is it balanced for the salvager to receive the undamaged % item while the wielder keeps the undamaged % item for reparing, essentially creating items out of thin air?

#9 Legionn

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

View PostZyllos, on 29 November 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

I really love the idea of actual salvaged gear, and I think PGI is leaning that direction. I remember hearing a post about it some time ago. But here is the issues to overcome:

- Who gets what salvage?
- Do we need post-game lobbies for salvage?
- Who is prioritized for paticular parts of salvage?
- When salvage is received, is it removed from the other player?
- If not, is it balanced for the salvager to receive the undamaged % item while the wielder keeps the undamaged % item for reparing, essentially creating items out of thin air?

This would be awesome. Obviously the whole creating items out of thin air would not makes sense, even for BT, so that aside this could come in the form of two possibilies:

#1 All salvaged items (not including mechs) are converted to C-bills and split amongst the team based on damage/kills/support/whatever but not evenly (don't want the suiciders and AFK'ers getting any of my hard-earned stuff).

#2 Salvaged items are dispersed amongst the team using a roll system with priority going to players who have lost a specific item during the round. For example, if an AC/20 is salvaged it will first go to the player on your team who has had theirs blown off during the match, otherwise if no one is missing an AC/20 it is randomly assigned to any participating teammate (no suicide/afk players). In the case of salvaging 1 AC/20 and having 2 teammates that lost one, it would randomly go to one or the other. Ammo would be dispersed the same by going to those that have used/lost theirs first during the round, then to the rest of the team randomly.
(Again, can't salvage mechs and give them away, since I already threw out creating items out of thin air, because this would mean for someone to aquire a mech in this manner someone else would have to permanently lose it first and I don't forsee that going over well at all no matter how true to canon that is. Armor would also be unsalvagable for obvious reasons.)

*Edit: reworded last paragraph for clarity

Edited by Legionn, 30 November 2012 - 02:41 AM.

#10 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:16 AM

View PostLegionn, on 29 November 2012 - 11:05 PM, said:

#2 Salvaged items are dispersed amongst the team using a roll system with priority going to players who have lost a specific item during the round. For example, if an AC/20 is salvaged it will first go to the player on your team who has had theirs blown off during the match, otherwise if no one is missing an AC/20 it is randomly assigned to any participating teammate (no suicide/afk players). In the case of salvaging 1 AC/20 and having 2 teammates that lost one, it would randomly go to one or the other. Ammo would be dispersed the same by going to those that have used/lost theirs first during the round, then to the rest of the team randomly.
(Again, can't salvage mechs and give them away, since I already threw out creating items out of thin air, because this would mean for someone to aquire a mech in this manner someone else would have to permanently lose it first and I don't forsee that going over well at all no matter how true to canon that is. Armor would also be unsalvagable for obvious reasons.)

Sounds fair...however salvage means not automatically replace damaged component with new one (reason why the actual repair costs are so dumb - resulting on item price). Even two serious damaged AC 20 may result in one functional.

At least you have to analyse the damaged component (again something were tactical handbook was great for the board game)
A AC 20 that got a critical hit isn't automatically destroyed - maybe only the barrel had a hole and internal security scan disable the gun to avoid damage - repair may cost a hour of work and material for at least 1.500 C-Bills

That means a single functional AC 20 that got salvaged could be used to repair both damaged AC 20s of the winning team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users