Jump to content

Ask The Devs 1 - Answer!


120 replies to this topic

#41 Sarah McCallum

    Member

  • Elite Founder
  • 227 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:28 AM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 13 May 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

They can't actually limit it that much when they're apparently going to be allowing people to play as the various Clan factions when they come out.


Why not? Most engagements between the IS and Clans were small, a few stars versus a local PDF. Make it a game mode separate from your typical battles. It's quite possible for a battle to be restricted to a small number of clan players against a larger group of IS. As the game calendar progresses IS tech improves to near parity with Clan-tech and the maps begin to resemble a true 1 to 1 engagement.

It seems complex, perhaps even unfair, but the Mechwarrior community is one of the few that I would trust with that type of imbalance.

Furthermore, IS players should lose in the early invasion so make it a risk/reward special scenario similar to the weekend events ME3 has. The developers hype up an impending clan invasion of a planet. Players who opt to play as the clans are given early access to clan tech, but their XP/C-bill rewards are reduced. IS players, who will die en masse, try their best to stop the Clan juggernaut. It's a hopeless battle, but in return they get additional XP/C-bill rewards.

#42 Bizarre Jay

    Member

  • Legendary Founder
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

No swarm LRM's but not sure how they would work in MWO, i guess not many mech's are going stand close together, so see if they get added later

To use the narc beacon requires special SRM's or LRM's, do we load them in the mech lab or get the option before we drop into combat?

#43 Cifu

    Member

  • Elite Founder
  • 348 posts
  • LocationHungary, EU

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

View PostSarah McCallum, on 13 May 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

Why not? Most engagements between the IS and Clans were small, a few stars versus a local PDF. Make it a game mode separate from your typical battles. It's quite possible for a battle to be restricted to a small number of clan players against a larger group of IS. As the game calendar progresses IS tech improves to near parity with Clan-tech and the maps begin to resemble a true 1 to 1 engagement.


Think it over.

First, then you need much larger IS player base than Clanner, or the Clan players need to wait too much between two battle.
Second, the IS need around five years to at least reach some level close to the clans. Even in 3055 the IS vs. Clan tech are not nearly equal, the IS tech are inferior still in all the way (every one weapon is heavier / bulkier / do less damage / have lesser range, the FF / ES is much bulkier / provide less armor, etc.), the IS only get the same leve around the second half of 3060's... which is more than ten years ahead...

So the equal numbered battles i believe only can be justified, if the clan mech's and tech are become everyday level - which is never happen in the lore...


View PostSarah McCallum, on 13 May 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

It seems complex, perhaps even unfair, but the Mechwarrior community is one of the few that I would trust with that type of imbalance.


Sorry, but do not start thinking all of the players got that type of thinking. I believe most of the players don't really accept such inbalance...

View PostSarah McCallum, on 13 May 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

Furthermore, IS players should lose in the early invasion so make it a risk/reward special scenario similar to the weekend events ME3 has. The developers hype up an impending clan invasion of a planet. Players who opt to play as the clans are given early access to clan tech, but their XP/C-bill rewards are reduced. IS players, who will die en masse, try their best to stop the Clan juggernaut. It's a hopeless battle, but in return they get additional XP/C-bill rewards.


For money, you can earn everything, at least what we can expect.

The second problem is more cynical - with the longer range and larger damage output, the Clanners can destroy you before you even has a chance to reach into firing range.

The third problem is coming from the second. Yes, it's a enjoyable way of game when you play the definitively weaker side, for a short amount of time, but it's a nightmare if you know you are march into hopeless battle beyond any imagination, and you need to do it a very-very long amount of time. It's kill any motivation and made you frustrated. Even if i'm love the IS side, i don't believe i can enjoy this kind of s*ck for long time...

#44 Cifu

    Member

  • Elite Founder
  • 348 posts
  • LocationHungary, EU

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

View PostBizarre_Jay, on 13 May 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

No swarm LRM's but not sure how they would work in MWO, i guess not many mech's are going stand close together, so see if they get added later


The Swarm LRM won't exits in the IS at the time, it's only re-introduce after the Clan invasion.

View PostBizarre_Jay, on 13 May 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

To use the narc beacon requires special SRM's or LRM's, do we load them in the mech lab or get the option before we drop into combat?


At least in the TT, the NARC do not need special SRM / LRM missiles.

Just a side note: the Devs unlikely answer your question here, if you await that.

#45 Bizarre Jay

    Member

  • Legendary Founder
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

Cifu thank you for the info :)

#46 Lightwolfii

    Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

Looks great!!!

#47 Xaxius Colnier

    Member

  • Legendary Founder
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:43 PM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 13 May 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

They can't actually limit it that much when they're apparently going to be allowing people to play as the various Clan factions when they come out.


That’s not necessarily true just because you are a clanner doesn’t mean you are an elite Bloodnamed vet.
If you join the clans you probably start as a pilot fresh from their Sibko training heck you may even be stuck as freebirth scum either way you aren’t going to get access to the best clan gear right away.

Odds are they will get some clan gear but mostly the same tech as everyone else the clan gear will give them enough of a boost to make it so that he has a chance to at least hurt the elite Awesome pilot running ER-PPC's before the cockpit of his mech gets atomized.

Edited by Xaxius Colnier, 14 May 2012 - 11:46 PM.


#48 JDH4mm3r

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

Seriously? Why are we following BT? this is mechwarrior, not BT. If it was BT related, simply call it BTW.

Why can't the devs play MW2, MW3 and MW4 then get an idea how things are actually played?

Slow gameplay = loss of interest.


So... how about a game of CTF? RAGE vs Clan Aegis....that is if aegis can get his old gang rounded up again!

#49 Watchit

    Member

  • Veteran Founder
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 2216 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

View PostWAR_JDH4mm3r™, on 17 May 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

Seriously? Why are we following BT? this is mechwarrior, not BT. If it was BT related, simply call it BTW.

Why can't the devs play MW2, MW3 and MW4 then get an idea how things are actually played?

Slow gameplay = loss of interest.


So... how about a game of CTF? RAGE vs Clan Aegis....that is if aegis can get his old gang rounded up again!


Posted Image

MW = BT

Edited by Watchit, 17 May 2012 - 04:24 PM.


#50 flying1ace

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationUnknown. But probably on the computer.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

cool thanks whats a LB?

#51 Watchit

    Member

  • Veteran Founder
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 2216 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

View Postflying1ace, on 23 May 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

cool thanks whats a LB?


Do you mean the LB-X AC/10?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/LB_10-X_AC

#52 Bretspot

    Rookie

  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:59 AM

Hmm now if only I can figure out a way to stick 6 PPC's on an Atlas, I'll be happy!

#53 Major Bill Curtis

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Andurien

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:30 AM

View Postneodym, on 08 May 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

I was hopping for NULL SIGNATURE system


LosTech, so 3063 (see you in 2026). 14 years is a long time to hop ;)

Also, it's certainly a game unbalancer, since the Bloodhound probe doesn't show up until 3058. In 3049, a null-sig 'mech would be undetectable; therefore, everyone would have it, radar wouldn't work, and you'd have an LoS shooter. Fortunately, it appears that they're not trying to make the game boring, so kudos to the developers.

Edited by Major Bill Curtis, 24 May 2012 - 07:34 AM.


#54 Skylarr

    Member

  • Elite Founder
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1624 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Location(Northern NJ)

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

View PostWAR JDH4mm3r, on 17 May 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

Seriously? Why are we following BT? this is mechwarrior, not BT. If it was BT related, simply call it BTW.

Why can't the devs play MW2, MW3 and MW4 then get an idea how things are actually played?

Slow gameplay = loss of interest.


So... how about a game of CTF? RAGE vs Clan Aegis....that is if aegis can get his old gang rounded up again!


You have it all wrong. Battletech is about the Mech combat. Mechwarrior is suppose to be about the pilot when he is outside his Mech. The TT (Table Top Game) came out long before the video games did.

The video games are considered non-canon.

#55 Major Bill Curtis

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Andurien

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:49 AM

View PostWAR JDH4mm3r, on 17 May 2012 - 02:29 PM, said:

Seriously? Why are we following BT? this is mechwarrior, not BT. If it was BT related, simply call it BTW.

Why can't the devs play MW2, MW3 and MW4 then get an idea how things are actually played?

Slow gameplay = loss of interest.


So... how about a game of CTF? RAGE vs Clan Aegis....that is if aegis can get his old gang rounded up again!


Wow . . . maybe because they had this great idea that the previous MW titles really weren't very good, so there was no reason to remake them. The thing is, MW4 still exists: you can still play it. If you want to do the same stuff you've always done, you can.

Many of us are happy that they're actually trying to make a video game version of Battletech that might be interesting.

#56 Major Bill Curtis

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Andurien

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:57 AM

View PostBretspot, on 24 May 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

Hmm now if only I can figure out a way to stick 6 PPC's on an Atlas, I'll be happy!


Make sure they're the extended range versions: I want to see you generate 90 heat and explode ;)

#57 Electric Mayhem

    Member

  • Elite Founder
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

Anytime you have a player option to buy better in-game equipment for real money, you're going to have an inherent balance problem. Whether it's clantech or just the best of the IS, there has to be an imbalance to encourage players to buy premium equipment. The developers seem to have struck a good counterbalance by rewarding players for more than straight kills (successful scouting, etc.)

The logical extension of this for the Clans (or hardcore overpowered IS mechs) is the one previously suggested- that players get a hefty experience/financial bonus for playing the weaker side. While I never fully understood the Battle Value system in the TT game, it seems logical to either
1. Require a rough balance of battle value between sides of a given skirmish, or
2. Use the difference in battle value to calculate a bonus ratio for the weaker side- take on a force twice your strength and you get a 200% increase in points earned.

#58 Electric Mayhem

    Member

  • Elite Founder
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

View PostMajor Bill Curtis, on 24 May 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:


Wow . . . maybe because they had this great idea that the previous MW titles really weren't very good, so there was no reason to remake them. The thing is, MW4 still exists: you can still play it. If you want to do the same stuff you've always done, you can.

Many of us are happy that they're actually trying to make a video game version of Battletech that might be interesting.


The Mechwarrior games were (largely) tremendous, and I won't hear a word against them. However, you are correct that (with improved server tech and the rise of MMO) it's time someone gave BatteTech its chance to shine.

#59 TheFreeman

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationWhere you least expect me.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

Wow! I hope they show the Gauss Rifles in the next video, I really want to see how they dealt with that blue serpentine.
Oh, why won't you guys IGN make an "Equipment and Weaponry Developer Breakdown" video? That would be so cool :D

#60 Skylarr

    Member

  • Elite Founder
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1624 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Location(Northern NJ)

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

View PostMajor Bill Curtis, on 24 May 2012 - 07:57 AM, said:


Make sure they're the extended range versions: I want to see you generate 90 heat and explode ;)



I do not mind someone doing this. Just as long as there is consequences like in the TT. At a certain point the pilot and/or equipment start taking damage. The damage should scale with the amount of over heat. Besides just shutting down.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users