Ask The Devs 1 - Answer!

120 replies to this topic

#21 Meth0s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

Will there be different ammo types, for those weapons that traditionally had them?

Edited by MethosFurey, 09 May 2012 - 07:14 AM.

#22 Sprouticus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

View PostHelmer, on 09 May 2012 - 03:44 AM, said:

Thank you for the information Garth!

+10 Internet points to Sprouticus for the great question!

Cheers.

Sweet, I need those 10 points to buy double heat sinks...

Thanks for the answer, this is GREAT info.

It is amazing how few people are noticing these threads....

#23 Cifu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 348 posts
  • LocationHungary, EU

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

Thank you for the clarification, but all of the "Ask the devs 1!" topic questions, only this one is answered? O.o

Please do not take as an offense, but there is many good questions placed, so only one got answered...

#24 Grokmoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

I am glad to see no LBX-20s or Heavy Gauss. The really powerful weapons can bring down mechs too quickly and you end up with twitch reflexes playing too large of a role.

#25 Inappropriate359

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

Someone has gotta ask...

Long Tom?? :D

#26 Tadakuma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

I am a little concerned by the fact that double heat sinks are going to be available at launch. If availability of these isn't carefully policed then there will be problem.

In a game were heat management is so important having access to them makes it an almost P2W situation, of all the lostech gear these are the ones that can almost break the game due to their effectiveness and their ability to change a fundamental game mechanic.

I was really hoping that we wouldn't have lostech on launch and I am hoping that the Devs are aware of the problem and have a plan in place.

#27 Cifu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 348 posts
  • LocationHungary, EU

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

View PostGrokmoo, on 10 May 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

I am glad to see no LBX-20s or Heavy Gauss. The really powerful weapons can bring down mechs too quickly and you end up with twitch reflexes playing too large of a role.

Inner Sphere verions of LB-X 20 only re-invented in 3058
Heavy Gauss introduced in 3061

View Postjesus, on 10 May 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

Someone has gotta ask...

Long Tom?? :P

Long Tom is an artillery piece. I hope it's not get into the game, we do not need a weapon, which capable to shoot over the whole map...
Instead we have Commander skills, which can call artillery and orbital barrage of a target area.

#28 Watchit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

Any chance you can tell us if side torso destruction will kill a mech with an XL engine, Garth?

#29 Blastaar

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:30 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 08 May 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

QUESTION: Can you give us a list of weapons and equipment you expect at launch? Or at least what you KNOW will make it as of today? -Sprouticus

ANSWER: The weapon list is every Inner Sphere weapon available in the time frame, and they should all be in for launch. The following is a list of the weapons and equipment available at the time.
Weapons
Ballistic:
AC/2, AC/5, AC/10, AC/20
LB 10-X AC
Ultra AC/5
Gauss Rifle
Machine Gun

Energy:
Flamer
Small Laser, Medium Laser, Large Laser
ER Large Laser
Small Pulse Laser, Medium Pulse Laser, Large Pulse Laser
PPC
ER PPC

Missile Weapons:
LRM 5, LRM 10, LRM 15, LRM 20
SRM 2, SRM 4, SRM 6
Streak SRM 2

Equipment:
Standard and Endo-Steel Internal Structures
Standard and XL Fusion Engines
Jump Jets
Standard and Double Heat Sinks
Standard and Ferro-Fibrous Armour
CASE

Obviously not all of this will be stock, and some things will be harder to get than others. The equipment list is everything that I can guarantee for launch, though we’re likely to also have most, if not all, of the following ready to go:

Artemis IV
Anti-Missile System
Active Probe
ECM Suite
Narc Beacon
TAG

Hope you guys enjoyed this, and we'll run another one of these soon!

man i'm gona miss Clan tech

View Postguardian wolf, on 08 May 2012 - 12:35 PM, said:

*smacks some sense into the person wearing a helmet* Not the Clan version, not yet anyhow, it is the SLDF version. Also thanks for giving us this info.

ER PPCs, weather clan or not, are still weapons to be feared. (smacks the smacker)

View Postjesus, on 10 May 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

Someone has gotta ask...

Long Tom?? :blink:

only if you don't want me sleeping well at night. Mechcommander 2. The recapture the spaceport mission. atlas. one shot. well placed long tom. GONE. not a happy memory. :)

Edited by Blastaar, 12 May 2012 - 05:44 AM.

#30 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

View PostTadakuma, on 10 May 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

I am a little concerned by the fact that double heat sinks are going to be available at launch. If availability of these isn't carefully policed then there will be problem.

In a game were heat management is so important having access to them makes it an almost P2W situation, of all the lostech gear these are the ones that can almost break the game due to their effectiveness and their ability to change a fundamental game mechanic.

I was really hoping that we wouldn't have lostech on launch and I am hoping that the Devs are aware of the problem and have a plan in place.

One of the reasons I was hoping that this game would actually be set in 3015 (like the single-player campaign proposal was originally) is that it would:
  • Be set in the middle of the 3rd Succession War, giving players real reasons to align with Houses and Mercenary units
  • All the tech would be standard tech
  • Except for "lostech", which could actually be made into something representative of "lostech"
    • That is, you could make lostech something actually very rare to find and almost impossible to simply replace if it gets destroyed.
    • This would have added a gameplay element where players could trade lostech items at a much higher value than regular items, and also make players question, "do I equip this irreplaceable Star League Weapon on my current 'Mech, or save it for a more secure platform, or sell it on the market for enough C-Bills to buy an entire battalion?", comparing value vs. replaceability.
  • You'd have a good long time before the Clans even enter the equation. There is no "big bad guy" for the entire Inner Sphere to ally against. You'd have essentially the entire lifetime of the game (decades, even) to just duke it out between the Successor States. It would make sense for the entire game to be about fighting over worlds for their precious resources, with small border changes happening all the time, but you wouldn't have to worry about the giant map-changing events like the formation of the Federated Commonwealth that essentially takes over most of the Inner Sphere

When FASA brought the Clans into the game, they threw game balance right out the window. There's no way to make them not OP. To which the only thing you can do is make the Inner Sphere OP in response, and then it boils down into a wacky tech-race. Regular players, coming into the game, not vested or even interested in the backstory of BattleTech will just swarm to the most powerful items: Clan 'Mechs. So now the game will be filled with Clanners that know nothing of the game, with the only thing that could possibly hold them in check being the culture-story of how the Clans are supposed to interact in battle... something that can and will be easily overlooked and ignored by players not interested in the story.

(I don't blame the new players and not even upset that there will be players that don't care about the Clan's "story". I think it's a pretty ridiculous story anyway. You've got a game here where people can pilot massive mecha-tanks and blow the snot out of each other. That's all some people care about and that's fine. But when the only thing that can keep Clan players in-check is the "story", it's pretty weak.)

Edited by DirePhoenix, 12 May 2012 - 08:27 AM.

#31 Gwenaelle Focht

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationPlanet Wyatt, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:27 PM

Well, I suppose it will be about patience and looking forward to something like myomer accelerator signal circuitry, light and heavy gauss rifles, or higher calibre ultra autocannons and higher capacity streak short range missiles in the future then... special inferno ammo would be a nice feature for start-up though ...

Edited by Gwenaelle Focht, 12 May 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#32 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 12 May 2012 - 08:17 AM, said:

(I don't blame the new players and not even upset that there will be players that don't care about the Clan's "story". I think it's a pretty ridiculous story anyway. You've got a game here where people can pilot massive mecha-tanks and blow the snot out of each other. That's all some people care about and that's fine. But when the only thing that can keep Clan players in-check is the "story", it's pretty weak.)

Yup. A fraction of players care about the story enough to limit how they use available tech. 95% of players will use the best tech they can get their hands on because "arms race to get max frag" is how most people play. In fact, if NH or UA are options, there would be many who would never play with heat or limited ammo because its not extreme stupid omg enough. Yeah Im cinical.

Edited by LakeDaemon, 12 May 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#33 iamunkle

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 77 posts
  • LocationAUS

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

please tell me theres gonna be more equipment then that?

not being a sook,

just hoping some minor equipment will be thrown in?
eg smoke bombs/launchers?
coz im looking forward to having many factors to consider whilst in play =D

#34 Doxy

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

How will the amount of CBills received after the end of the match be counted?
By damage done or static amount for win/loss?

#35 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 12 May 2012 - 08:17 AM, said:

When FASA brought the Clans into the game, they threw game balance right out the window. There's no way to make them not OP. To which the only thing you can do is make the Inner Sphere OP in response, and then it boils down into a wacky tech-race. Regular players, coming into the game, not vested or even interested in the backstory of BattleTech will just swarm to the most powerful items: Clan 'Mechs. So now the game will be filled with Clanners that know nothing of the game, with the only thing that could possibly hold them in check being the culture-story of how the Clans are supposed to interact in battle... something that can and will be easily overlooked and ignored by players not interested in the story.

Clan Tech is overpowered, but they earned it... The Devs can simply limit the quantity of Clan Tech on the Open Market because the Devs control the Market (literally). They can also make the service/repair fees extraordinarily expensive for Clan chassis.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 12 May 2012 - 07:41 PM.

#36 guardian wolf

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

View PostBlastaar, on 12 May 2012 - 05:30 AM, said:

ER PPCs, weather clan or not, are still weapons to be feared. (smacks the smacker)

BAAHH!! YOU CANNOT GIBS SMACK, A GIBS SMACKER!!!! MUHAHAHAHA!!!
*smacking fight ensues*

#37 Cifu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 348 posts
  • LocationHungary, EU

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 12 May 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

Clan Tech is overpowered, but they earned it... The Devs can simply limit the quantity of Clan Tech on the Open Market because the Devs control the Market (literally). They can also make the service/repair fees extraordinarily expensive for Clan chassis.

This make the game balance into ridiculous level. Just imagine one side with Timber Wolf, Mad Dog, Summoner and so (with only clanner tech), then the other side just IS tech. This is simply insane, and the players who only got IS tech become easily frustrated...

#38 Arbhall Sommers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationWarmed up and mission ready.

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

Clans have better tech.

IS adapted to the imbalance after a few years and a few thousand mechs and thousands of lives. But I wouldnt say the game was unbalanced. My brother hated the clans, I loved them. He still fought me with IS tech, sometimes he even did really well. I dont care if its unbalanced, nor do i care if anyone screams foul and quits.
Clans have better tech, Ill still play if I am IS. I still played them in the various crappy mechwarrior games out there, even against the clans.
I will continue to do so.

Bring the clans. I cant wait to loot them.

#39 Long Draw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationIL, USA

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:22 AM

Do the development staff plan to spend at least 10-15 minutes a week in-game with the players to discuss MWO balance issues or whatever they would like feedback on?

#40 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:04 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 12 May 2012 - 07:40 PM, said:

Clan Tech is overpowered, but they earned it...  The Devs can simply limit the quantity of Clan Tech on the Open Market because the Devs control the Market (literally).  They can also make the service/repair fees extraordinarily expensive for Clan chassis.

They can't actually limit it that much when they're apparently going to be allowing people to play as the various Clan factions when they come out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users