Heatsinks And Double Heatsinks

14 replies to this topic

#1 B00MH34DSPL4T

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

Hi guys,

Can someone please explain the difference please? What are the advantages, when should I use them, should I use them etc...

I understand that Double Heatsinks provide 1.4 over the 1.0 from normal Heatsinks, but is this per slot that the Double Heatsinks use up (3 slots x 1.4)?

Thanks, B00M.

#2 FrostCollar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

No, it's not per slot, it's per heatsink. Also, I've read that DHS placed in the engine have fully double the efficiency of normal heatsinks.

They're best for mechs that have a lot of spare space but not a lot of spare weight capacity. If you've got trouble fitting everything you want into your slots already, don't use them. However, if you've got a mech with plenty of spare space, they might be worthwhile.

#3 B00MH34DSPL4T

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

Hmmm, seems a bit silly. 3 times the slots and only 40% more efficient.

#4 ImpassIve

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

Nope, it is per sink, not per slot.

So, 3 Usual Heatsinks = 3 slots = 3 x heat efficiency = 3 tonns.
While 1 Double Heatsink = 3 slots = 1.4 x heat efficiency = 1 tonn.

So, using DHS you get more tonnage, but lose in amount of empty slots inside your mech.

UPD: Oops, too late.

Edited by ImpassIve, 28 November 2012 - 09:03 AM.

#5 Wun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

When using dual heat sinks, you are often limited by slots, when using normal heat sinks you are generally limited by weight. Its a balancing mechansim, though dual heat sinks are still just flat out better because of the free heatsinks your engine comes with.

The recovering technology of the inner sphere we are now using is less efficient than the more advanced Clans, whose dual heat sinks only take 2 slots.

#6 B00MH34DSPL4T

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

What is this "Clan Dual Heatsink"?

#7 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:05 AM

View PostB00MH34DSPL4T, on 28 November 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

What is this "Clan Dual Heatsink"?

Clans, they have some sweet tech, and will be fighting us in March 3050(2013).

Clan-tech is always better except in cost. XL-Engines that don't get side torso'ed(2 slots a torso), weapons that weight less, gear that takes up less space.

Prices though the roof on all that super-tech.

Edited by Stingz, 29 November 2012 - 05:07 AM.

#8 storm0545

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

Prime example would be the standard Lrm 20 we currently have is powerful but has a minimal range of 180m where the missles wont do damage meanwhile clan Lrm 20's have no minimal range and weigh less.

#9 locilocisu

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

Double Heat Sinks are most efficient on mechs that can mount big engines because engines have built in heatsinks, they get 1 every 25 engine rating. So a 300 Engine has 12 built in heatsinks. Higher rating engines also have a magic heat sink slot where you can sneak in heat sinks in it, and these heat sinks do not take extra crit space, just tonnage.

And since these heatsinks do not take the extra slots, all you get is the extra heat capacity and release. So instead of the 12 capacity, you get 12 * 1.4

If you're running a low rating engine, not using double heatsinks are sometime better, because of the fact that you'll need to add exterior heatsinks anyways. When you have space consuming upgrades like the endo skel or ferro armor, there's a good chance you'll run out of crit space before you can fit enough double heat sinks in your mech.

#10 Siege121

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

View PostStingz, on 29 November 2012 - 05:05 AM, said:

Clans, they have some sweet tech, and will be fighting us in March 3050(2013).

Clan-tech is always better except in cost. XL-Engines that don't get side torso'ed(2 slots a torso), weapons that weight less, gear that takes up less space.

Prices though the roof on all that super-tech.

I haven't started digging through too much, but will they also be including the triple-strength myomer?
Been a LONG time since I've delved into the Battletech world, so I don't recall what the timeframe is that it was available, but I do recall that it was inner-sphere only.

-Hans

#11 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

View PostSiege121, on 29 November 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

I haven't started digging through too much, but will they also be including the triple-strength myomer?
Been a LONG time since I've delved into the Battletech world, so I don't recall what the timeframe is that it was available, but I do recall that it was inner-sphere only.

-Hans

TSM: perfected[non-explodey] version will be in production next year, 3050(2013).

#12 Mesa

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

View Postlocilocisu, on 29 November 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

Double Heat Sinks are most efficient on mechs that can mount big engines because engines have built in heatsinks, they get 1 every 25 engine rating. So a 300 Engine has 12 built in heatsinks. Higher rating engines also have a magic heat sink slot where you can sneak in heat sinks in it, and these heat sinks do not take extra crit space, just tonnage.

And since these heatsinks do not take the extra slots, all you get is the extra heat capacity and release. So instead of the 12 capacity, you get 12 * 1.4

If you're running a low rating engine, not using double heatsinks are sometime better, because of the fact that you'll need to add exterior heatsinks anyways. When you have space consuming upgrades like the endo skel or ferro armor, there's a good chance you'll run out of crit space before you can fit enough double heat sinks in your mech.

Unless something has changed in the latest patch, engines get one heatsink for every 25 engine rating, up to 10 heatsinks at 250. Beyond 250, you get an extra heatsink slot for each 25 rating. So, a 300 engine would have 10 internal heatsinks and 2 extra heatsink slots. It's also worth mentioning that the internal heatsinks in the engines get a 100% efficiency boost (a full 2.0) with double heatsinks, while the rest (including the heatsinks in the engine slots that you get above 250 rating) are only 40% more efficient (1.4 modifier).

This works out to be 22.8 effective heatsinks for a 300 engine with 2 DHS installed ((10 * 2.0) + (2 * 1.4)) , as opposed to 16.8 effective with your math.

#13 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

Can't really think of a lot of mechs right now that won't benefit from the current DHS values.

#14 Snowcaller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 216 posts
  • LocationHiding in FRR space after defecting. (UK)

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

I think DHS's are the best weight saver bar an XL on a big mech.
But i would say that. I like LAZORZ!!!

#15 BCOVertigo

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:39 AM

View PostSnowcaller, on 04 December 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

I think DHS's are the best weight saver bar an XL on a big mech.
But i would say that. I like LAZORZ!!!

DHS and Endo-steel are generally considered the go-to upgrades for most builds. FF armor saves a small amount of weight by comparison and takes up just as much space, with the additional downside that suddenly your more expensive armor is soaking up fire and those repair bills aren't going to pay themselves!

One common misconception I see is the idea that upgrades are just flat out superior, when in this game almost NOTHING is a straight upgrade. It's mostly sidegrades with a minor boost. Consider this when buying your first mechs too. Bigger isn't always better, and it sure as s*** isn't cheaper.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users