Do You Have Open Beta Fatigue?

52 replies to this topic

#21 Greiva

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

View PostZolthar, on 28 November 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

I'm from the Closed Beta and I'm not fatigued, I'm discouraged.

I had great hope for this game, but now seeing all the money ripping off thing getting implented over game contents is killing my interest in the game.

I'm still wating on the new game modes, having the collisions back, and at ranking system to see if I'll continue playing this game.

But the last camo renting thing blew some of my expectations away.
Add to this that the performance issue are present since what? the last 4 patches??

Completly agree with this. Especially the money part. At current the game is a money pit, and that is a fail design in the current financial times.

#22 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

Yes, it's a serious condition.

It's preventing me from activating my premtime, due to there being ** for me to do for the next 3 months, according to their schedule.

Edit: I found a swear that doesn't get censored.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 28 November 2012 - 10:16 AM.

#23 mekabuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

View PostLin Shai, on 28 November 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

And if you believed that, I have a very nice bridge for sale. :)

lol, I didnt, but I thought it amusing so I ran with the concept.

I have to say, even though I wasnt a fan of the pugstomps, its gotta be rough not getting to drop with a full team if thats what really floats your boat. That will be helpful to a number of people.

I dont have fatigue, I just dont have any expectations at this point at all so that lessens the pain.
seeing the now seemingly endless variety of bugs is just amazing. I actually dont have any of those issues other than low frames, but still. well thats not true, my audio is now borked, and I imagine thats gotta be a pita for those with high end systems who have good fps to have bad audio now.
Which just gave me an idea for a new topic!!

#24 WithSilentWings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationMississauga, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

View PostLin Shai, on 28 November 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

And if you believed that, I have a very nice bridge for sale. :)

I stopped playing closed beta because I was sick of the resets and wanted to keep my progress--I'd say chances are the 'average' beta tester felt the same way. I'm pretty certain this is what they were referring to.

Now that I keep my progress, money, xp, etc. I am enjoying things much more than closed beta and will continue to play.

#25 Ransack

• 1,175 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

was in closed beta, and didn't have fatigue until now. I have phase 1 fatigue big time.

#26 AC

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

View PostHlynkaCG, on 28 November 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

Not sure about open.

I'm in a similar boat Zolthar.

The money grabbing doesn't really bother me, but playing with friends/in organized groups (NGNG, Run Hot or Die League, etc...) was the main draw for me and 4 man groups put the kibosh on that.

Yes the devs talk a good game about Community warfare, and they say they'll bring back 8 man groups but I'm starting to doubt that they'll follow through.

The devs seem to be going out of their way to sqash any organized play. The prospect of organized play was the main draw for me too. I want a game to play with and AGAINST friends. Right now there is absolutely no way to play against a group of friends.

I get the impression that the Devs think that by allowing 3rd party leagues to fill the current void in organized play, that they will somehow lose interest when their community warfare goes online. However, I think they are hurting themselves because people are quickly losing interest in a game that HAS NO POINT right now. Games need to either provide a social aspect (team play, organized leagues, etc), or provide a purpose...a challenge to beat. Without either of those MWO quickly becomes boring and people are leaving for games that do have a purpose and do allow them to play with their friends.

My hopes are fading, but I am still wishfull that PGI will figure out that without Social Aspect and a Purpose, they don't have a game that will last or be very popular outside of a small group of die hards.

Edited by AC, 28 November 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#27 Lin Shai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

I honestly think PGIs biggest problem is literally not having the technical ability to create the game they originally envisioned and presented. While this isn't shocking given their track record (their previous games were mediocre at best) and I really gave them a 50/50 shot at the onset .... it's still disappointing to fans of the franchise.

If they had kept to their original schedule they presented when they started selling founder's packs, we'd all be excited about CW being launched next month and playing a much better game than we have now. Sadly, that's not the case.

As it is ... we're playing an alpha quality build (and yes, when you're re-writing your entire network stack from the ground up, have about half your UI in place and its flakey, and are at 50% feature complete, you're at alpha stage. Or at the very least an super-early beta with a very limited set of testers) and not seeing much progress on bugs that have been present for months. They're probably ~ 6 months behind schedule in terms of features (being kind), and are struggling with getting the core features working (e.g. when you shoot something it actually takes damage). That doesn't bode well.

The nonsense about "Needed to go open beta because of fatigue" is silly considering ... they still haven't fixed any of the long standing issues from CB. What, they needed more people to point them out?

I would routinely defend the problems in CB because I had hopes they'd actually fix them. The shove out the door and with the latest announcement regarding the networking code ... not so much. Basically, it's going to be months before the core of this game works correctly. That's probably going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back for a lot of people. I was actually looking forward to the 8-man thing until that announcement. Now it's kinda ... why bother?

#28 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

I have FPS fatigue.

#29 SpiralRazor

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

I think im fatigued...

I think PGI needs to make ANOTHER definition of release and call it Open Open Beta 2.0, and sell moar Semi-Founders Packs.

#30 Atayu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 815 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

I have been playing since early beta. Since open beta I have been on every single day, for at least a hour. I am not burned out on it. Although I wish they would make mech painting more reasonably priced so not so many mechs looked alike.

#31 TheFace Asano

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

I am not fatigued, just getting irritated over several issues.

1. Lack of additional maps / game types
2. Social UI and chat system is horrible. Making friends in match and out of match is not easy or easy to accomplish.
3. Money required to play. I would rather have a $15 premium option much like AoC than this. Everything is just too expensive. Unless the game gets much better, I have no reason to spend anymore money. Premium time is too expensive as well.
4. Ranking / AFK system. As I mostly pug, this makes for a huge headache when I have 1-3 afkers per match to even get a win.
5. FPS bug
6. I started as a founder so my options have been ok to start. My son is free to play and he just cannot make c-bills without losing interest. The trial mechs are less than ideal builds, and I usually stray from them quite a bit to get something that works. The ability to have a custom mech from the get go would be huge. Maybe an additional type of mech, something around the 40-45 ton mark that is just particular to this game as the "starter" mech. Customization should be viable with this mech, and give it a slot layout something like 3 laser, 3 ballistic, 3 missile to promote flexibility so that free players can really try the game and its meta game. Also allow for a larger swing in engine types so you can fit it as a scout, a brawler, or in the long range support role. Don't allow it to have a mech skill tree though, to encourage movement up into a higher level mech. Maybe also give it a higher resale value to help promote new players. You cannot stifle the new player base this much.

Out of these complaints, I think the combat, weapon types, and balance of those weapon types is going very well. Machine guns are the only ones that seem to be completely out of place as far as having a true function. I remember in closed beta you could use them as a disruption technique, but no reason to now as they don't shake the cockpit. The multiple laser types are all really good. Most of the ballistics are really good given you fit them right, each one has a use. Missiles are in a pretty good place I think, they are dangerous in large doses and not so much in smaller doses. Gauss sits a little higher than the rest right now still, but with it's large tonnage I don't see that as a big problem. AC2 and AC20 heat both seem too high still.

Still undecided if this game is going to be worth sticking around for, bug fixes and new maps and modes should be farther than they are....

#32 wulfsburg

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 54 posts
  • LocationPhoenix Arizona

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

View Post8RoundsRapid, on 28 November 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

Open beta fatigue?

How do you get burned out or fatigued from playing a video game? I'll tell you how: you play it too much. Heres some suggestions:

Go outside, get laid, kiss your mom, throw the stick for the dog, play skyrim, have a beer, play some bball, read a book, get a job, draw, paint, write, compose, shower, exercise, go for a walk.

Just to name a few.

Seriously, guys, why do so many of you insist on coming on the forums to complain about a game that you play too much? Wouldn't it be better for all involved to just take a step away for a day/week or two? MWO wont fold while you're gone, and you just might gain a little perspective...

I would venture to say..... that most people who are long time fans of the franchise and who play the game do a lot of the above. This community (before open beta), I would say is comprised of passionate 20-30 year old folks who do some/most of these "suggestions".
Coming and suggesting the above activities makes you look like a know it all. (and a jerk) Its not like you have to play an obscene amount of matches in a short period of time to get burnout. Most founders are

Im burnt out. I have less than 100 matches under my belt, and when I was out on leave from surgery I played most of those due to not being able to do much else. That was in closed beta.

I have played maybe 25 matches in the past month, and I told my room mate today (who plays a crap ton), I am taking a break. I read the forums all day at work (in my downtime).

#33 ciller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 486 posts
  • LocationEdmonton

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

View PostLin Shai, on 28 November 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

I honestly think PGIs biggest problem is literally not having the technical ability to create the game they originally envisioned and presented. While this isn't shocking given their track record (their previous games were mediocre at best) and I really gave them a 50/50 shot at the onset .... it's still disappointing to fans of the franchise.

If they had kept to their original schedule they presented when they started selling founder's packs, we'd all be excited about CW being launched next month and playing a much better game than we have now. Sadly, that's not the case.

As it is ... we're playing an alpha quality build (and yes, when you're re-writing your entire network stack from the ground up, have about half your UI in place and its flakey, and are at 50% feature complete, you're at alpha stage. Or at the very least an super-early beta with a very limited set of testers) and not seeing much progress on bugs that have been present for months. They're probably ~ 6 months behind schedule in terms of features (being kind), and are struggling with getting the core features working (e.g. when you shoot something it actually takes damage). That doesn't bode well.

The nonsense about "Needed to go open beta because of fatigue" is silly considering ... they still haven't fixed any of the long standing issues from CB. What, they needed more people to point them out?

I would routinely defend the problems in CB because I had hopes they'd actually fix them. The shove out the door and with the latest announcement regarding the networking code ... not so much. Basically, it's going to be months before the core of this game works correctly. That's probably going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back for a lot of people. I was actually looking forward to the 8-man thing until that announcement. Now it's kinda ... why bother?

Time may be all they need. 6 months from now the game will be at the state where you want it to be now. It may be worth considering taking it a bit easy on MWO until then. Its not going to happen in a day and it not being a finished product could wear on anybody to the point of breaking. Long term relationships often require periodic breaks to avoid burnout.

If PGI still have nothing to show for it in 6 months and show no signs of improvement I may be more willing to agree with you. Until then I think they deserve some more time, especially considering how IGP forced them into open beta (or so it seems to me).

Edited by ciller, 28 November 2012 - 12:52 PM.

#34 anonymous175

• Bad Company
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

Posted Image

#35 Blaike

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 64 posts
  • LocationUK West Mids

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

I have been playin for 6 months and am still having fun (ok slightly less because of the 4 man teams)

#36 RockWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • 125 posts
  • LocationEastern Canada

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

I have been playing since august and I like where its going, but new content is not what we really need.
We need new modes. At least have some open modes where we can create our own 16 man teams to Test or flavor up the fights. Sometimes we test hit boxes or weapons in game and all of a sudden some Pug starts acting like a hero and shoots us because he thinks we are TKing.

Don't get me wrong. I like how the game feels and how it plays, but I have been fighting the same 600 matches over and over and over again. 4 man teams? Well that just means that I get more kills per match because the other players are still not bedded in.

We need more modes that allows us to play the way we want it. Not just facing the others in a deathmatch or capture the flag. We need a simple way to face opponents of our choosing and not necessarily for Cbills. Just for the sake of keeping the community attached to the game.

Edited by RockWolf, 28 November 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#37 Lin Shai

• 2,401 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

View Postciller, on 28 November 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

Time may be all they need. 6 months from now the game will at the state where you want it to be now.

My point is that given their track record (their previous games / projects) and the way this is going ... I honestly doubt that.

It looks like it's going to turn out as well as everything else they've ever done. I had hoped that wouldn't be the case and was willing to take a gamble because of my attachment to the franchise, but it really is looking like a typical PGI game which is to say ... mediocre at best. ::shrug:: I'm not going to cry about it; anyone who bought a founder's pack before ever seeing the game was making a gamble, and by definition those don't always come out in your favor.

There's plenty of other games to play and I still hope they are able to stay afloat and actually pull this off, but I'm going to be realistic about it.

#38 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

I'm only slowly getting pug fatique, but well...

#39 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

I have Phase 1 fatigue, and a headache everytime my screan shakes with SSRM2 damage. But I think I can hold out until those issues are addressed.

#40 Kyrie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

I was fatigued in CB. The constant resets were making me lose interest at the time. Now, however, I am worried that in a short period of time I'll be done with the grinding and won't have anything left to "achieve" while waiting for CW.

Playing endless deathmatches is kinda fun for now, but it is not the end all and be all for me. I need a reason and purpose for the grind. In the case of World of Tanks, the grind is centered on reaching the elite end game content: multiple top-tier tanks for Clan Wars. For this game, all my hopes rest on Community Warfare.

Given that the baseline grind in this game is far less than in World of Tanks, to me this reinforces the importance of CW. PGI is fully aware of this, they have all the stats they need to see how far along everyone is in terms of content-grinding.

I definitely agree we need more battle modes, maps, and so on -- but what I really need is an engrossing end-game to keep me motivated.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users