Do You Have Open Beta Fatigue?

52 replies to this topic

#41 Lonestar1771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

View PostLin Shai, on 28 November 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

I honestly think PGIs biggest problem is literally not having the technical ability to create the game they originally envisioned and presented. While this isn't shocking given their track record (their previous games were mediocre at best) and I really gave them a 50/50 shot at the onset .... it's still disappointing to fans of the franchise.

If they had kept to their original schedule they presented when they started selling founder's packs, we'd all be excited about CW being launched next month and playing a much better game than we have now. Sadly, that's not the case.

As it is ... we're playing an alpha quality build (and yes, when you're re-writing your entire network stack from the ground up, have about half your UI in place and its flakey, and are at 50% feature complete, you're at alpha stage. Or at the very least an super-early beta with a very limited set of testers) and not seeing much progress on bugs that have been present for months. They're probably ~ 6 months behind schedule in terms of features (being kind), and are struggling with getting the core features working (e.g. when you shoot something it actually takes damage). That doesn't bode well.

The nonsense about "Needed to go open beta because of fatigue" is silly considering ... they still haven't fixed any of the long standing issues from CB. What, they needed more people to point them out?

I would routinely defend the problems in CB because I had hopes they'd actually fix them. The shove out the door and with the latest announcement regarding the networking code ... not so much. Basically, it's going to be months before the core of this game works correctly. That's probably going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back for a lot of people. I was actually looking forward to the 8-man thing until that announcement. Now it's kinda ... why bother?

So much this about the whole redo on the code. The timing is just terrible and really took what little wind they had out of the sails. No way they can put this back in the oven either since 1) they've collecting money for months now and 2) nobody would trust PGI after that so hardly any one would come back.

#42 Randodan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

The lack of new map content (not talking about the updated versions of the original 4 maps) is really what gets me. There should be many more maps in rotation -- and far more larger maps as well -- for it to be a little less dull.

But overall, I am still happy with the direction we're headed towards.

#43 Cappy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

View PostZolthar, on 28 November 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

I'm from the Closed Beta and I'm not fatigued, I'm discouraged.

I had great hope for this game, but now seeing all the money ripping off thing getting implented over game contents is killing my interest in the game.

I'm still wating on the new game modes, having the collisions back, and at ranking system to see if I'll continue playing this game.

But the last camo renting thing blew some of my expectations away.
Add to this that the performance issue are present since what? the last 4 patches??

this *a million

#44 Tasorin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • LocationCartman 3050 HQ

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

I don't have Beta Fatigue.

I have broken game mechanics, lack of content, major balancing issues and business model clusterf**k Fatigue.

#45 River McCain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • LocationTropical Paradise

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Did not have CB fatigue, and do not have OB fatigue. Enjoying the game, I also have a job, a girlfriend, other hobbies, and in general, life beyond the computer game.

I am having some Forum fatigue, but it is like a vehicle accident, it is bloody and brutal, but I just cannot keep from looking. :D

Edited by River McCain, 28 November 2012 - 01:46 PM.

#46 Nonsense

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

I'm not going to read this entire thread. It only needs one response and maybe someone already said it.

Closed beta fatigue was due to people earning cbills and mechs while knowing everything would be reset at some point.

Open beta fatigue is not a thing. There won't be any more resets. If you're tired of the game, try doing something else? Why do you expect that you can do anything endlessly without getting sick of it?

#47 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

Fatigue... tired no.. not at all.

Disappointed, that they remain on course for serving the lowest common denominator of player first. Frustrated that so many good ideas on the boards seem to receive no response (Not mine, I just complain, which defers hope into a cynical expectation and thus deference of further frustration) such as.. no payout for just showing up ending the campers issues.

The lackluster decisions to make things that should be free or purchasable with Cbills like camo, only purchasable with MC.

Not being able to pause MC/premium timers. It would be nice while I sleep or if I have a broken hand or something.

Yeah I see the road, because I can look back. And in the most eloquent way I can say it...there is a drastic disparity between what many a mechwarrior thought we were getting, versus where it seems we are headed. Rather than ask for direction from the players they wish to earn income from, the Developer and Publisher seem to have decided the minimum acceptable answer, is in fact "The Answer", long time fans can "get over it".

I saw this coming when I saw the double armor for the first time, months ago, and came to accept it then.

Doesn't mean I'll give up playing, there is fun here, it just means that I accept that I have an empty meaningless opinion, and you can bet yours is as well at this juncture. I got my Yen Lo Wang, I got it to Master, and some other mechs, I play with all the seriousness of any other dumbed-down web game, I mash buttons, cause havoc, and kill the "bad guys" when I can.

Now though, I'm pretty much done paying. The idea of being in a league was lost on me, which is why I pug and mash instead of being committed to a group of friends who might care about stats and such. It's just lost on me.

Fatigued No.. severely disillusioned more like it. My fun is no longer in gaining stats earning Cbills, it's just griefing those who care about it. This is just the latest folly-laden iteration of a game world I loved so much as a kid.

#48 Undead Bane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

For all, who thinks that "money ripping" content is made OVER fixes, please, read this:
http://mwomercs.com/...0-role-devfare/

And fatique... No, it is still fun. It's actually hard to wait for new features to come, but hey, it was harder to wait for beta access at all =)

#49 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

I have troll post / whiner / alarmist / rage quit / pgi-are-1diots/ sky is falling fatigue. Ive stopped posting here 90% since open beta.

The game is fine. Of course its a work in progress and needs alot more done. The forum is no longer part of the fun for me. The game is.. even in its beta state.

#50 Lin Shai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

View PostUndead Bane, on 28 November 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

For all, who thinks that "money ripping" content is made OVER fixes, please, read this:
http://mwomercs.com/...0-role-devfare/

And fatique... No, it is still fun. It's actually hard to wait for new features to come, but hey, it was harder to wait for beta access at all =)

It's a problem with perception is reality. (You can look it up if you've not heard of it before).

Since the long standing bugs aren't getting fixed, but more and more ancillary things are being added at an increased rate, the perception becomes that those things are what they are focusing on. And unfortunately, it's an uphill battle to fight, especially when they don't have any real answers other than "we're working on it" when it comes to the core issues.

One could argue, however, that with the networking code being is such a sad state, how can they possibly think they can "balance" the game? When non-locking weapons are routinely not doing any damage ... that seems rather silly. If they ever fix the networking code, suddenly there's going to be a huge shift in that balance as weapons actually start doing the damage they're supposed to and what they're doing now will no longer apply.

I guess you could make the case that it's a needed band-aid since that's what they have to work with, but it sure seems like there's a lot of cart-before-the-horse going on.

Edited by Lin Shai, 28 November 2012 - 02:23 PM.

#51 Slab Squathrust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA or Billings, MT

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

I don't have any fatigue whatsoever because I can no longer play the game whatsoever. No matter my graphics settings I get between 8-12 FPS when moving since the 11/20 patch. I have played a total of probably 10 matches since then. The game isn't nearly as fun when its like watching a power point presentation. Everyone whines about balance and gauss rifles and streaks but honestly I just humbly ask for my old frame rate back. Since I really don't play anything besides this and some SC2, it has meant more time doing other things, which is fine.

#52 Undead Bane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

View PostLin Shai, on 28 November 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

It's a problem with perception is reality. (You can look it up if you've not heard of it before).

Since the long standing bugs aren't getting fixed, but more and more ancillary things are being added at an increased rate, the perception becomes that those things are what they are focusing on. And unfortunately, it's an uphill battle to fight, especially when they don't have any real answers other than "we're working on it" when it comes to the core issues.

One could argue, however, that with the networking code being is such a sad state, how can they possibly think they can "balance" the game? When non-locking weapons are routinely not doing any damage ... that seems rather silly. If they ever fix the networking code, suddenly there's going to be a huge shift in that balance as weapons actually start doing the damage they're supposed to and what they're doing now will no longer apply.

I guess you could make the case that it's a needed band-aid since that's what they have to work with, but it sure seems like there's a lot of cart-before-the-horse going on.

One percieves reality through the prism of his ignorance. All I wanted to do with my post - lower the level of that ignorance, no more, no less.

Speaking of balancing things - PGI devs have started to rewrite the netcode, meaning that they have agreed, that the conception of clien-server interaction they choosed is not suitable for this game. And it is, really, already a big step forward.
Once new netcode is implemented, shifting balance is what the game designers should do, and I'm sure it won't be super hard.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users