*******' About *******' Betty

17 replies to this topic

#1 MEAT LOAF

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

I like the whole implementation of the AI, but as it stands the current AI voice I feel takes too long to announce various things.

1. When it says "Missiles Incoming" when streaks are being fired at you, the streaks hit before the AI voice is finished saying it.

2. It repeats when you sustain jumpjets.... "Fuel at, Fuel at 0%" (stutters at saying the "Fuel at 25%")

3. When you're in heat of the battle... and you start loosing limbs like crazy I don't like hearing "Left arm, Left Torso destroyed... Left leg critical" all monotonous and stuttering

I know this seems like a big flame thread, but I do offer a very simple alternative: On all the time-critical information (missile locks), just put in various sounds or speed up the announcement voice a bit, much like was done in MechWarrior 4.

#2 Taryys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,685 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

Streaks are hard to fix since they happen so quickly, but yea there is definitely some fine tuning that needs to be done.

#3 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

There are issues yes, but I rather like the jump jet and missile incoming warnings. I've actually never experienced hearing Fuel at 0% cutting out Fuel at 25%, but then again I try never to hit 0% fuel so that I can still turn my legs in mid-air and feather my fall.

#4 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

It's an AI, it should have problems. That's part of the charm IMO.

BB was never all that useful in MW2 either, just cool.

#5 GioAvanti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

Umm I like when it's struggling to keep up with limbs being torn off & weapons being knocked out.... that's the point is it not? Betty is just going "**** son we gon get it!"

But overall yeah it needs tuning... however I'd rather have it than not. I loved the AI voice in all the MW games because it just made the game "feel" better.

#6 Gooner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

I'd like to see the "our/enemy base is being captured" messages have increased time between each notification. I recognise the importance of these messages, but I don't like being told the same thing over and over again (happens in other games as well). Generally after the 3rd or 4th time of being told, while I'm on my way there, I start to feel like "I KNOW DAMMIT" and I get the urge to throw my headphones across the room just to make it shut up :)

#7 WithSilentWings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationMississauga, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

For now you can just turn off the dialogue.

I agree with some of your statements and disagree with others. The "Jump Jet fuel at 25%" bothers me because it does take a very long time to say it.

Hopefully they will have a long list of checkboxes for us to select which warning we want and which we don't.

Edited by WithSilentWings, 28 November 2012 - 10:16 AM.

#8 Broceratops

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

i dont think some of you remember the old voices correctly. if you lost a torso/arm in mw2 you'd still get inundated with messages about a bunch of things being destroyed. thats how you know things are going badly.

i like the voice. maybe its a bit slow and it stutters too much and it sounds like its in your brain and not the cockpit, but i like it.

Edited by Broceratops, 28 November 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#9 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

View PostGooner, on 28 November 2012 - 10:13 AM, said:

I'd like to see the "our/enemy base is being captured" messages have increased time between each notification. I recognise the importance of these messages, but I don't like being told the same thing over and over again (happens in other games as well). Generally after the 3rd or 4th time of being told, while I'm on my way there, I start to feel like "I KNOW DAMMIT" and I get the urge to throw my headphones across the room just to make it shut up :)

Well, at least the entire team can't claim the didn't notice the base was under attack.

Betty is by far my favorite addition in this patch.

#10 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

Mech2 was built around the same time cars had voices telling you things too. I had a dodge laser that would tell you your door was open or your headlights were on. Modern day jet fighters and airliners also have verbal warnings to pull up or stall stall along with tactile alerts. Myself when I heard her voice I instantly grinned and remembered my first mech 2 mission in my rifleman trying to kill a kitfox.

If she bothers you just turn it off, its really not an issue, really its not.

Edited by Viper69, 28 November 2012 - 10:19 AM.

#11 xDark

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

View PostBroceratops, on 28 November 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

i dont think some of you remember the old voices correctly. if you lost a torso/arm in mw2 you'd still get inundated with messages about a bunch of things being destroyed.

Yep, but in MW2 she didn't cut herself off to start saying something else; she finished her first sentence before starting the next one. So, if you lost both a torso and an arm at the same time, she should say "Left torso...destroyed. Left arm...destroyed."

Yeah it needs a few tweaks, but I mostly like it the way it is. I just miss hearing "Enemy mech...destroyed!" whenever I kill someone. Hopefully they put that in in a future patch.

#12 Mancu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Does anyone else think that Betty's voice is too low compared to the other sound fx?

#13 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

You all will be smiling once the startup sequence is put in...

Reactor online, sensors online, weapons online, all systems nominal. Planet Colimar, ambient temperature 31 degrees.

View PostMancu, on 28 November 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

Does anyone else think that Betty's voice is too low compared to the other sound fx?

Do what I did, turn your sound effects volume down, and the dialogue volume up, then you can turn your speakers up without blowing your face off.

#14 Elandyll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

I really like the voice PGI implemented, but I find the delivery is a bit slow to be honest.
Wonder if it is intentional to be as clear as possible?

Seems slower to me than it was in the revered MW2, which was pitch perfect imo.

#15 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

She is enunciating more. Its still in testing and her tempo and cadence can be sped up, but I really like it.

#16 JudgeDeathCZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

What?She is perfect.I want marry with her.So much <3 .

#17 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

BB is awesome. I turned the effects sound way up and Dialog down. Its kind of fun trying to hear her over the sound coming through my speakers while muffled via my headset for comms.

#18 Shismar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

I like the voice for atmosphere. If it also conveys useful information, even better.

Some tweaking and it should be fine. Possibly some minor user settings changing voice speed, pitch or noise level would be nice. Just for fine tuning.

Speaking of sound, cockpit fm radio/cd-player would be nice too. Linking into my Spotify account or just playing a playlist from disk. Easy to do outside but a user interface that can be accessed in game would be great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users