21 replies to this topic

#1 TheMightyWashburn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 281 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

This doesnt seriously effect gameplay but Ive noticed it has become VERY hard to do any damage at all to the head on some mechs. I have stood infront of a disconnected mech on the enemy team and shot all over the head closely watching the damage indicator; often I core them before I find their head.

I understand that being cockpitted is annoying but I think it should be in a logical place about a meter to two meters wide on every mech. Atleast when clicking on my awesome in the mechalb (assuming it uses the same hitboxes) it is sometimes hard to click the head manually.

What do you think?

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Some mechs need smaller heads. Like the fatlas. It had a gigantic head, and was a joke. Literally, just a 100 ton joke. So they made the head tiny, and it's not a problem.

Cataphract might have too tiny heads right now, but most of the mechs seem right. Except the dragon. I've never seen one take head damage. Do they even have a hitbox for it?

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Many mechs have had their cockpit hitboxes reduced, including the Awesome.

Learn the actual hitboxes if you intend to seek out headshots(pro tip: go for the eyes). If it were 2 meters wide we'd all be dead right out of the gate.

#4 3rdworld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

really the only mechs that I can consistently cockpit are catapults/cents/hunch. Anything else seems to be a waste of time to try.

I was shooting at a Cataphract yesterday and put several shot right on the glass and it only damaged the CT. Its head must be tiny.

#5 FrostPaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

So what you really want is to take any mech in the game, ignore 99% of it's armor and head shot them? and....you see no reason why that wouldn't be detrimental to the concept of piloting giant stompy tank-like mechs around, compared to bunny hopping in TF2 or COD and head shooting people?

Personally I don't think head hitboxes should exist, you could never target them in the tabletop game by choice and since you can choose where to aim in the video game, that immediately unbalances every mechs design for real time combat.

#6 Axeman1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 323 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

Managed to headshot a hunchback a little bit ago in one volley. 4x Large lasers + 1 guass rifle alpha, never seen someone die so fast.

#7 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

Considering how slow atlases are, they need very small head hitboxes, otherwise they'd be super easy to take out.
Commandos have pretty large heads, but its very rare that they ever die to cockpitting.

And yeah, I'd be totally fine with just removing em entirely. I say this with atlas Jenner and hunchback as my primary mechs.
Btw hunch-P is really evil if you have good aim and know the headshot hitboxes... Catapults, slow hunchbacks, and centurions just die.

Edited by One Medic Army, 28 November 2012 - 02:36 PM.

#8 TheMightyWashburn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 281 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

View PostFrostPaw, on 28 November 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

So what you really want is to take any mech in the game, ignore 99% of it's armor and head shot them? and....you see no reason why that wouldn't be detrimental to the concept of piloting giant stompy tank-like mechs around, compared to bunny hopping in TF2 or COD and head shooting people?

Personally I don't think head hitboxes should exist, you could never target them in the tabletop game by choice and since you can choose where to aim in the video game, that immediately unbalances every mechs design for real time combat.

The mechs have cockpits... with glass.. even the strongest glass would be destroyed.

Maybe they should have thought about that before they invented the TT mech designs.

Moveover, idk if you knew this but, the CT is easiest to hit. The cockpit is hardest to hit, therefore some bonus should be applied to being accurate. Where to shoot is just as much strategy as lance tactics in this game. The leg, the arm, the CT, the rear, the shoulder, the head. If a mech is close, and overheats he should pay the price, and we should get the salvage.

Its not like I said it should be easy. Just logical. My point was that I have shot all over some mechs heads and it didnt hit.

#9 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

View Post3rdworld, on 28 November 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

really the only mechs that I can consistently cockpit are catapults/cents/hunch. Anything else seems to be a waste of time to try.

I was shooting at a Cataphract yesterday and put several shot right on the glass and it only damaged the CT. Its head must be tiny.

Atlas - left eye
Awesome - window/visor
Cataphract - Center window pane only (not all of the visible glass)
Catapult - upper half of cockpit glass
dragon - ???
Centurion - visor
Hunch - only the front pane? not sure

#10 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

The dragon is easy enough to headshot if you specifically aim for it, same for hunchback (especially since hunchies like to get close and stare at you). the trick is not aiming for the dragon's big CT which is an easier target, but instead right over the top of it. Same for hunchback, ignore that big 'shoot here' sign on the right torso and aim high-center.

#11 Undead Bane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 28 November 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

Some mechs need smaller heads. Like the fatlas. It had a gigantic head, and was a joke. Literally, just a 100 ton joke. So they made the head tiny, and it's not a problem.

Cataphract might have too tiny heads right now, but most of the mechs seem right. Except the dragon. I've never seen one take head damage. Do they even have a hitbox for it?

I headshot a dragon once or twice. The problem is that their head is covered by their massive CT, so you should have a higher ground in order to do that.
Or pilot an atlas.
But overal, it is not that bad.

Edited by Undead Bane, 28 November 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#12 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

Install and play MW4, I think there you'll find the true meaning of difficult headshots. Some version even have 1 hit kill protection on the head, too.

#13 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 28 November 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

Atlas - left eye
Awesome - window/visor
Cataphract - Center window pane only (not all of the visible glass)
Catapult - upper half of cockpit glass
dragon - ???
Centurion - visor
Hunch - only the front pane? not sure

You can hit the hunchie head from the side, the large shoulder may obscure your view however.

The dragon cockpit just has a low profile, but is certainly targetable. Much easier if you have high ground above it.

I find the Atlas next to impossible to hit sometimes. Even on one that is standing still. After the hot fix for the phract it is difficult as well.

#14 SpiralRazor

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Ive shot Atlai directly in the eyes with lasers, and still no head damage.

Something is wrong there.

#15 RedMercury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 223 posts
  • LocationChina

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

Admittedly it was quite easy for some mechs on closed beta (see vid below). Now for aws it is harder. Cats are about the same. CN9 and HBK are still doable. Dragon is about the same. Atlas has always been really hard (but satisfying).

#16 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

I can't believe this is actually a thread.

They took the "I WIN" button out of my mech too.... I WANT A REFUND

#17 Najek Yuma

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

View PostAxeman1, on 28 November 2012 - 02:33 PM, said:

Managed to headshot a hunchback a little bit ago in one volley. 4x Large lasers + 1 guass rifle alpha, never seen someone die so fast.

Heh, I feel like that might have been me. Was on the Frozen map, came around a building's corner and was face-to-face with an Atlas. Since the hunchie's head is about arm-height to an Atlas and I was square onto him, it felt like he simply instinctively fired and managed to alpha me right in the cockpit. Went down with virtually no damage to any other component.

#18 Tarman

• 2,080 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

View PostRedMercury, on 28 November 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

Admittedly it was quite easy for some mechs on closed beta (see vid below). Now for aws it is harder. Cats are about the same. CN9 and HBK are still doable. Dragon is about the same. Atlas has always been really hard (but satisfying).

They so needed to shrink up the Awesome's giant water-head of a hitbox. It's already wide and flat enough to take your pick of frontal fire targets without having a game-mechanic deficiency. They were easy to front-kill with just about any mech that could pack a decent alpha or a superhigh dps. Should boost the survivability of them by at least a little bit for people out there.

#19 Crayzed Lyon

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

Get really close to someone and you have a good shot at hitting their head(not recommended if your head comes up only to your target's waistline). Also, I've been head capped in my Dragon, and I've head capped other Dragons. They're heads aren't too hard to hit.

#20 Axeman1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 323 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

View PostNajek Yuma, on 28 November 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

Heh, I feel like that might have been me. Was on the Frozen map, came around a building's corner and was face-to-face with an Atlas. Since the hunchie's head is about arm-height to an Atlas and I was square onto him, it felt like he simply instinctively fired and managed to alpha me right in the cockpit. Went down with virtually no damage to any other component.

That was the one, went down like a sack of potatoes while I was in my unpainted atlas.

Even I was like o.O...

Edited by Axeman1, 28 November 2012 - 03:25 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users