Need Advice On Jagermech And/or Cataphract

4 replies to this topic

#1 MechLord71

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:25 AM

Hello all! I am looking for advice on my Jagermechs and Cataphracts. It has been quite some time since I have played these mechs. Years ago, I did okay to well in both, but now during a game here and there (which maybe is the problem), I do modest damage 200s to 300s and die fairly quickly in both mechs.

I find the Jagermech to be slow/sluggish overall with too much facetime required to get my ballistic shots off without excessive damage to my torsos. I usually try to run a STD Jagermech, so maybe I need to explore XL options.

The Phract quite honestly is even worse. It just does not stand up to damage anywhere near what my Thunderbolts do. In fact the Phract does not survive as long as my Wolverines or Shadowhawks even when I run a STD engine in it.

So my question is, what builds do folks use to make the Cataphract (looking at my Ila and 3D mostly) and my Jagermechs (Firebrand and 6S mostly) viable and a productive member of my teams. Maybe the solution is just to stay away from these mechs and stick with my Tbolts or maybe branch off into Orions or the upcoming Grasshopper.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

#2 DirtyChewie

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:00 AM

I haven't run any cataphracts but when I use my Jagers I find it best to run with an XL and keep my distance. My 2 most successful build are the dual guass with 2 medium lasers or 2 AC5 with 2 erll. I have both cool down and range modules for the ac5 and this build works with an xl300 so it's not sluggish, although you still won't be winning any races against the mediums.

#3 Zikan

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:19 AM

I have played JM6 for a year with 6S,DD and 6A. As a brawler, DD and 6S can do quite great job.

I run my DD with XL300 and just triple UAC/5(225 shots), and my 6S with XL300, triple AC/5 and dual ML.

In battle,I will find a place to safely do your damage in the distance of about 500M,

or stick to big whale and wait for a face to face battle.

The most important thing is, AC/5 brawler need tons of time to do damage, so we can't just line up with assaults

cause enemy can easily focus fire on the side torso from our assaults. We are easier to kill than assaults.

In my experience, I can do over 1000 damage with DD and 6S only if enemy focus fire on our assault than me.

Then I got a lot of time to give my shots.

#4 MechLord71

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:57 AM

Thanks! I think all my time in clan mechs and IS mediums has me pushing in too much for the Jager. Appreciate the advice guys.

Edited by MechLord71, 16 February 2015 - 06:58 AM.

#5 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:07 AM

I usually run the XL255 and XL280s in my Jagers, but they indeed very squishy nearly to the point of being a cooky. I had a lot of fun in a XL255/3AC5/3MG/2ML Jager DD... Normally burst fire works well when people do not notice you, but turn to chain fire and aim for the head when they do. My other favorite is a Firebrands with 2GR(6)/2ML. I now play mainly clan mechs are really deplore that the clans cannot field such mechs :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users