• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 281 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

Move the ammo to the legs
Move the Jump Jets to the Torsos
Swap the LBX and the UAC

Earn some money, upgrade to DHS. (optional)

The LBX is the better quick-reaction/skirmishing/light-killer weapon, so that's why I put it in the arm.

#22 00meat

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:55 AM

I haven't seen much that can win a coring contest with my 3d, it has 2 uac5, 175 rounds of ammo, double heat sinks, 3 med lasers, and I think a xl 340 engine, endo-steel, max armor. The ultra ac5s are a bit unpredictable, but even with a jam, you will usually have at least one working. One is center mounted, the other torso, so you can spray them if you are in a hurry, or you can slow down and quickly unload 4-6 rounds into one spot. It runs pretty cool and can go about 79kph, which is fast enough to out run most other heavies. Even if I pull a Leeroy Jenkens and get myself swarmed, it can usually do about 120 damage before it goes down. If I play smart though I can get 2-4 kills and 680ish damage in a game.

Edited by 00meat, 31 January 2013 - 02:55 AM.

#23 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

My CTF-3D give me nearly the feeling to sit in the best mech the IS ever produced:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Falconer

... well i used the jump jets offensive - last only some seconds and you have mostly a clear shot for the back

#24 CDT Tk

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationToronto, CA

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:19 PM

4ML, 1 gauss - 3x ammo, 1 LB10 - 3x ammo, 1JJ, DHS, stock engine, Endo, max armor except legs
- does well for closing in/brawling
- excellent heat control, can spam LB/guass when heat needs to chill
- laser --> LB10 --> gauss: rotation maximizes dmg potential, gauss makes great finisher and engager at range.
note: gauss in arm/LB10 in chest. when you lose arm (which you so occasionally) your going to be glad you still have LB + laser combo.
note: design allows for some customization to meet your preferences
IE: swap 4ML for 2LL, Swap for 1ML + 1LL + improve engine... etc.
- 00meat's is a great alternative as well. tried it myself
- 4LL does not compare at all. they are easily taken down while trying to manage heat a problem this mech does not suffer from nearly as much.

Edited by CDT Tk, 09 April 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#25 LeShadow

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationRostock, Germany

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:46 AM

In my opinion, if you go dual gauss (or gauss/LBX) take at least 2JJ, otherwise you're better off with a K2 or Jager. I really like the 2 Gauss, 4 ML setup (mine has 2JJ, 10DHS, 5 tons of ammo, XL270, low armor on the left arm). Can be a little squishy and requires good use of JJ and twisting, but the weapon loadout supports that rather nicely. And shift-armlocking makes jumpsniping much easier.

I've tried AC10 or LB10 (even with a std engine) for improved survivability, but couldn't really get it to work.

Edit: just upgraded to an XL270. 10DHS are plenty for 4 ML ^_^

Edited by LeShadow, 10 April 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#26 Takony

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 265 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:42 AM

Sorry for the necro!

So as I was trying to gauge the effects of Ballistic Host State Rewind in yesterday's patch, I dusted off my 3D.
After trying my usual support builds (4ML+ 2x uac5 or +2x AC10), I have (again) found them lackluster.

So I thought:
- with the new thermal vision, sniping became more mediumish range instead of extra long range
- for medium range sniping, mild poptarting, ERPPC is not really must have, a PPC will just do fine
- an AC20 weighs less than 2 of the smaller ones, and has good damage even between 270-540 meters

and went with this build:

280 STD, 1 JJ (for hopping over small obstacles and peeking out over small ridges, and for going uphill faster), DHS, Endo
3 ML (not really elegant because of different convergence, but hey) 1-1 in each arm, 1 in RT
1 AC20 w/ 3 tons ammo RT
1 PPC LT
almost max armor, 43 on legs

smurfy: CTF-3D

Haven't played too many matches with it, but it is very versatile, while still conforms to the current meta-game of alpha-ing then getting back to cover.

The idea is that you have at least something (PPC) while you ninja your way towards/into the brawl/engagement area, and from like 540-90 meters, you can deliver a 30-45 damage pinpoint alpha, while still retaining medium lasers for grazing the legs of light mechs, and you are not naked even when under 90m.

Anyone tried/used similar build? Your results?
Please discuss/advise.

#27 CygnusX7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:10 AM

Here's a non JJ 3D I've recently put together.

XL Engine Version:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8170017ac8edb0c

RA: Gauss
RT: LL, 1DHS, 3T ammo
LT: LL, 2DHS
LA: ERPPC

Armor: 432/434
XL280 71.3KPH 14DHS (35% Cooling Efficiency).
XL300 76.4KPH 13DHS (33% Cooling Efficiency).

Firepower: 43
Gauss: 15
ERPPC: 10
2LL: 18

-----------------------------------------------

STD Engine Version:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...122b5c528621743

RA: ML, Gauss
RT: ML, 1DHS, 3T ammo
LT: ML, 1DHS
LA: ERPPC

Armor: 432/434
STD280 71.3KPH 13DHS (35% Cooling Efficiency).

Firepower: 40
Gauss: 15
ERPPC: 10
2LL: 15

I've had the best results doing an energy shot first followed by a gauss shot then back to energy again.
The gauss shot in between gives time for your mech to shed some heat while continuing to fire.

Edited by CygnusX7, 03 May 2013 - 06:48 AM.

#28 YuLi

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:35 AM

This is my DFA build. Dual AC10 on group 1 en quad ml on group 2 (chained on hot map). I love 2 dropdown on enemy's from above and use jets to escape sticky situations. I have had plenty of 400 - 700 scores, highest 810. Useally 1 or 2 kills. Build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cae1aaddf073f18

#29 Tetraspec

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

Wow, just wow :) You guys like to test stuff around, as we can see. Nontheless I would not call any of this 3D-Builds viable. Too mouch heat, mediocre (sorta abusive) loadout (for example: why double AC 10? One torso and one arm?! doensnt really make sense, because of the utility of having arm-mounted stuff).

I got a build that is overall strong, with 30 Firepower and a distribution of 15 /15 between arms and Torso, and also gives you a nice arm-shield. Since I started playing with a CN9 and followed up with getting elite on my SDR-5D I just got the feeling for having a "shield", and I must say, it makes people believe that they can take you fairly easy, not knowing that we dont need the left arm ;)

CTF-3D - Pack-a-Rack

Engine: XL 280
Internals: Endo-Steel
Heatsinks: 12 DHS (1 in the engine, 1 in LT)
Jumpjets: 4/4 (all four in the torsos - 2 and 2 respectively)
RA: 1xUAC\5, 1x ER PPC, 1x UAC\5 Ammo
RT: 1xAC\10
LT: 1x MedLaser
Left Leg: 2x UAC\5 Ammo
Right Leg: 2x AC\10 Ammo

ARMOR:

Notes: Not listed parts are maxed out

CT: 70/18
Side Torsos: 45/15
Legs: 43

If more speed is wanted, I'd recommend an XL 300, trading off the AC\10 for a second UAC\5 and getting space for 1 more Double heatsink, OR a simple AC\5, hitting in 3 more DHS in, if going into strong brawls.

Strategy: I tend to wait for the fight to start, for I am not an assault and I am waring an XL. Usually an assault mech will engage the fight, and when that moment comes, the bulky enemies are your main target. In each Cycle you will do around 45-55 damage for a cost of around 18% heat. (This build has a very hard Pinpoint damage, since the whole loadout has as good as no spreading. Abuse this as far as possible for MAXIMUM BITCHSLAPPERY! :() The UAC\5 keeps that DPS rockin' aswell as the enemy's Cockpit while the AC10 and the PPC come out of cooldown to prolly take out the remaining red armor/start hitting the enemy's core hard. All in all a solid build with awesome mobility.

Now a few sidenotes for amateurs and novices playing Ballistics and Jumpjets:

Ballistic tips:

I CANT STRESS OUT HOW IMPORTANT COCKPIT SHAKE IS FOR BALLISTIC BUILDS! The effect on the morale of a Target under UAC\5 fire is devastating. A turnaround/freakout/overheat is pretty common if you are able to keep steady hitting on the enemy. For this to happen, dont hold crosshairs on top of the enemy, unless he is standing still. You want your crosshair to be more or less 2-5 milimetres ahead of the moving direction of a moving enemy mech to be able to hit them. This is due to balistics aswell as PPCs having a PTT (projectile travel time).

PTT for UAC\5 and AC\5 are the same, not for the AC\10 and PPC though. Test around and try to get a feeling, since firing different projectile-based builds might take an instinctive knowledge of every weapon and an overall good coordination - knowing when you are going to fire what weapon and how far you must predict the enemy's movement speed and direction, based on the distance to the targets, their speed and the weapon you are firing.(remember: Ballistics travel 3 times the long range distance; example: UAC\5: 600m. Max range: 1800m)

Last but not least: Ballistics start to travel in an arc towards the ground once you overcome the long range firing distance. Take an AC\20 into the testing grounds and work yourself down all the way through AC\10, AC\5, Gauss and finally AC\2 to teach yourself instinctly how to hit targets at sniping ranges. I recommend this because the effect on the AC\20 is the most notable, and gives the player that "aha!" effect in those cases where the player at times tends to miss ballistic firing at long ranges because of the convenience of holding the crosshairs directly on the enemy.

Jumpjet tip: Dont forget that you can even manouver against light mechs thanks to your jumpjets, allowing you to pretty mouch double your anchor turn speed:

-jet upwards, then, while you are turning your torso, press F and hold it to keep legs centered on the crosshair

Cheers,

Tetraspec.

EDIT: Here the link in Smurfy's Mechlab!

Edited by Tetraspec, 12 May 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#30 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

I've sort of settled on this 3D build:

XL300
Gauss (3T)
2 PPCs
4 JJs
DHS, Endo

It's pretty heat efficient. It's a jump sniper. It draws a lot of aggro.

#31 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:36 AM

2x ER PPC (arms)
2x MPL (torso)
1x U/AC 5 (torso, 2 tons of ammo)
XL 325
endo steel
14 DHS
1JJ
full armor except 1 point on each leg

U/AC5 is the glue in this build between pulse lasers+ER PPCs. Build can't really go wrong.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ad91d5b910b2111

Edited by Autobot9000, 16 June 2013 - 01:59 AM.

#32 Munk8

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

Super basic brawler. 4ml 1 ac20. Std 300. 2jj. Can drop a jj and add another heat sink.

Too lazy to armor out that last half ton lol

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e64cf183ea10c15

#33 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:58 AM

View PostBaozi, on 29 November 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has any effective Cataphract-3D builds they want to share?

I don't see many 3Ds on the field when I'm playing, just a lot of 4X's with their quad AC2's!

quad ac2? i don't often see that on the 4x, i like my quad ac5. but this is a 3d thread. on mine i use 4 large lasers, with the stock engine, it does fine enough

#34 Yagarcanda

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

Here's my phract-3d build, hope you like it.

i tried in one on one with others heavys, the only one who has troubled me was other phract =)

you can take at least two medium mechs with no much damage taken, and if you always go with an assault mech, SURPRISE! most of the enemys dont pay you atention, until you shot at least 3 or 4 shots with dual lb10-x, but then its too late for them... Lights die like rats!!! =)

and you have 1LL and 2ML to support, i suggest to fire LL only at distance, when you got your enemy close, use only ML and lb10-x, almots never overheats....

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a4a2f5473bf974d

im going to check if i got it right when i open the game tomorrow!! Enjoy!!

#35 Toiletbrush

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationBEHIND YOU!!

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:26 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3ac3061c24cb040
lbx cooldown module
medium laser range module

Edited by Toiletbrush, 06 October 2014 - 10:28 AM.

#36 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:01 PM

XL255,endo,192 armor,2 gauss 2 ppc 4 tons of ammo

#37 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:27 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...57177edad5260c5

Love this build, very high damage matches with it, you just have to be careful who you brawl, try and use assaults for cover and give them fire support rather than being out front. Easily dispatches of anything from light to assault(provided the lights aren't lag-shielded).

#38 RapidFire7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 412 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:28 PM

I'd run this as a double Gauss sniper build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6e0e68089952c4b

Note the 1/2 ton gauss ammo to reduce chance of weapon explosion

#39 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:27 PM

Necro for the Champion winners! :P

#40 Titmoszisz

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:19 AM

With 2x LB 10-X AC + 4x ML and a '4x zoom module' - ballistic shooter (For ease of handling and firepower focus -> arm's lock):
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c646f3bf8c36cac

With 2x ERR PPC + 2x LPL and a '4x zoom module' - energy sniper:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...893e95b4a1a4851

Both with XL 300 engine, 4x Jumping Jets and AMS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users