Good Cataphract-3D Builds?

61 replies to this topic

#41 Cragger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:39 PM

Honestly it is just a bad mech. It's torso is so big in profile you will be going down fast to anyone that can aim and isn't using a crap spray and pray stick. The 3d was good at one thing back in the poptart meta and now it's good at nothing. There isn't a single thing it can do that other mechs can't do a ton better.

1. It can't brawl, forget it. A Cent with an equal skill players will own you in no time at the brawling game.
2. It can carry two gauss... awkwardly. Since one is in the torso. Jaggermech outdoes this by miles due to better weapon placement.
3. 2x UA5 do alright on it since they have some range.
4. ERPPC in the high torso mounts do alright, but again due to quirks other mechs outstrip the Cata by miles at this. TDR-9s, BJ-3. etc.

I really do think the reason for this tourney was to get the Cata 3d into the hands of the some of the active/skilled players to figure out what quirks it needs. Though with those I've talked to they are just selling it anyway cause it's just not good at anything, just mediocre joe. Which ironically fits the lore cause it was not a very well received design.

#42 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

View PostCragger, on 22 January 2015 - 07:39 PM, said:

Honestly it is just a bad mech. It's torso is so big in profile you will be going down fast to anyone that can aim and isn't using a crap spray and pray stick. The 3d was good at one thing back in the poptart meta and now it's good at nothing. There isn't a single thing it can do that other mechs can't do a ton better.

1. It can't brawl, forget it. A Cent with an equal skill players will own you in no time at the brawling game.
2. It can carry two gauss... awkwardly. Since one is in the torso. Jaggermech outdoes this by miles due to better weapon placement.
3. 2x UA5 do alright on it since they have some range.
4. ERPPC in the high torso mounts do alright, but again due to quirks other mechs outstrip the Cata by miles at this. TDR-9s, BJ-3. etc.

I really do think the reason for this tourney was to get the Cata 3d into the hands of the some of the active/skilled players to figure out what quirks it needs. Though with those I've talked to they are just selling it anyway cause it's just not good at anything, just mediocre joe. Which ironically fits the lore cause it was not a very well received design.

may i ask what you have been smokeing

#43 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:31 PM

Duel PPC + Gauss + Jumpjets.

Oh wait, it isn't 2013 anymore... sorry. That meta build will never get out of my head... stupid poptarters.

#44 Cragger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:15 PM

View Postkosmos1214, on 23 January 2015 - 07:07 PM, said:

may i ask what you have been smokeing

Simply the truth. The 3D got no quirks because once upon a star the jump jets and and use of gauss allowed it to be a devastating poptart. Now... it can't pop tart and the geometry of the model makes it take damage with a quickness. It basically has Awesome syndrome without the armor... or quirks.

This event imho is intentionally to get people to play the CTFs again so PGI can figure out WTF to do with the quirks by collecting data. Like the Atlas though the crux of the problem for the CTF is the geometry and with it's main trick gone it's just joe average at everything.

#45 Muqtada al-Swayze

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:19 AM

AC20
AC10
3x mlas
2 tons of AC20 ammo
1 ton of AC10 ammo
3x DHS

280 Standard
FF, Endosteel, DHS

Been doing relatively well in this thing (except when I have chronic disconnection/rubberbanding issues). 45 dmg pinpoint alphas with minimal heat buildup is quite forgiving.

#46 HARDKOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:27 AM

Why would you put 4 LL on it? Jester would do same thing better.

#47 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:28 AM

I am having good luck with a simple AC-10 + 2x PPC loadout.

Edited by Spheroid, 24 January 2015 - 12:28 AM.

#48 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:12 AM

I run 2 LBX10 4 ML with an XL engine.

It's ok but like others have said here, it doesn't have the armor a heavy should have. You will get cut open if you brawl with it.

#49 Dramastorm

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBeautiful BC, Tofino

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:32 PM

I am currently leveling out CTF-3D, 1X and 2X(yes while doing event). The 3d I am currently holding an ac10,ac5 4xML std280. While it holds its ground I personally am not a fan of the armcannon, especially with the right torso cannon already but the combo hits pretty hard while maintaining reasonable speed.

I much prefer the CTF-1x with AC10 4xML 1xLPL std300+2xiDHS(ammo/armour just to show amounts)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...90cf8520de3a990

Edited by Dramastorm, 24 January 2015 - 01:35 PM.

#50 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

2xPPC and ac10 works well. Pair with either 325xl or 280std. Both work but my personal preference is for the xl version

#51 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

what about dual AC10s and 4 ML?

#52 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

twin gauss, or twin ac/10 + ppc, it will take learning to get used to travel times and stuff, but these builds will force you to improve your accuracy, even with a 60% hit rate, you will be doing very well, because all of that damage is focused.

if you hate PPC, be sure to not focus on long duration weapons, you need to be able to twist and protect your CT, wait untill you take a hit before you turn back, even if you need to fake them out, give them a full recycle time before you try, or only partially commit to a shot.

also, learn how early you need to start charging to get the Gauss to be ready before you crest hills.

the 3d is currently the only IS mech capable of running dual gauss with jumpjets.

every build you make on the 3d, should have jumpjets, period.

Edited by zudukai, 25 January 2015 - 01:56 PM.

#53 Wolfwood592

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 505 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:18 PM

I can't make this mech work to save my life lol

#54 BUDFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:38 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 25 January 2015 - 01:34 PM, said:

what about dual AC10s and 4 ML?

What I have been using and found it to be the best build so far. You still gotta use it skirmishy though, the AC10's have the kick but also the range to make that a bit easier. You can still sort of pop tart with it, but more like "hump tart", works well maps like caustic and HPG manifold, where you can hide your mech behind inclines.

Also, if you can time your shots properly dual AC10 can be pretty nasty to lights which is a bonus.

View PostCragger, on 22 January 2015 - 07:39 PM, said:

Agree with the above, its a pretty terrible mech.

#55 Kal Solar

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:30 PM

After trying various builds with limited success , I'm back to my "standard" loadout, the old meta: 2xUAC5, 2xPPC, XL300, 2JJ.

#56 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:42 AM

Std 235, AC10, LBX10 (3 tons ea), 2 Med Lasers, 4 JJ's.

It's hit or miss, but mostly miss. I'm not comfortable in such a large slow mech, but I'm keeping it for faction and for badly needed CW tonnage.

#57 ulrin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:53 AM

i use 2xAC10 and 2x med las, 5 ton of amno XL340, full armor

he have more front armor than my awesome, he goes at 79kmh/84 when upgraded

He's fast, have enough armor and speed for close combat, and have a pretty good rate of fire.

I like it a lot for a free mech

#58 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:59 AM

View PostKal Solar, on 26 January 2015 - 11:30 PM, said:

After trying various builds with limited success , I'm back to my "standard" loadout, the old meta: 2xUAC5, 2xPPC, XL300, 2JJ.

That's kind of what I want to avoid but it looks like I'll be going back to that build too.

#59 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:05 AM

I hated the 4x, the Ilya was fun with 3 LBX... I wasn't sure about the 3D but it was free..

it is now one of my favourites. 2 AC10, 2 mlas, 1 slas, 1 JJ for some fast turns. Brawls like a beast. Plus I got a free paintjob for it :D

Once again the armchair experts come declaring suckage but these guys are proved wrong everyday by pilots with skill, nuff said about that.

#60 salkeee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 172 posts
  • LocationTree House

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:10 AM

I have for long time now 2xAC10 5tammo+ERPPC XL280 2xJJ
In that build I have most succes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users