61 replies to this topic

#1 Baozi

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has any effective Cataphract-3D builds they want to share?

I don't see many 3Ds on the field when I'm playing, just a lot of 4X's with their quad AC2's!

#2 Pando

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hey,

I built this just now out of parts laying around. Might work for some people.

CTF-3D

Armor:
70/18
42/18
42/18

Upgrades:Endo
XL Type 300 engine
1x JumpJet
2x Gauss Rifle
7x Gauss Ammo

The other build I was running was Gauss + AC/2 + JJ's + MLAS.

#3 Murku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

my 3D has a 350STD Engine w/ 4ML, 1AC5(arm)[cased 60rds] and AMS. Endo Internals and 1JJ(cheat!). Still nicely armored, does about 80kph.

The idea being that just like the Centi D and Atlas K the kneejerk reaction to a fast 3D is to kill a side torso. I know I should mount a UAC5 but with my ping it feels really hard to control single firing. If i was smarter I'd be able to teach my RAT5 mouse to do that for me I guess. AC5 for the same weight as UAC5 is 60rds vs 25 and I can just squeeze and cycle. I found that 2 ACs aiming differently on top of 2 pairs of independant MLs (arm/torso) seems a bit more weapon groups than I can effectively manage (I start zerging).

Incidently, my 4X has a 250STD w/ 3AC5[90rds], 1SSRM2 and 1LL. ACs dakkadakka on a chain that is a good distraction/nerve-breaker. I can fit Endo, DHS, and maxed FF in it so apart from juicy repair bills it makes a good Zombie when it runs out of bark.

Planning on a 2X next.

Of course, my 2A cicada with 6MLs and 17DHS would eat any of these for breakfast....go figure.

Edited by Murku, 29 November 2012 - 11:10 AM.

#4 Fury9er

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

I have one done out a bit like a 4L from the lore - has a 285XL engine with a Gauss in place of the LBX10 and an ERPCC replacing the UAC5.

It should have two ER Medium Lasers but I am making do with three normal mediums. FF armour pretty much maxed out and I think there is an AMS on it. The jump jets can stay on however it feels a bit undergunned up close, I am tempted to swap the Gauss back for the LBX10 again.

#5 The Captain

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

I found a quad LL build in another one of the Cataphract threads that I've had a lot of success with, after trying various ballistics and mixed ballistics/energy builds.

Quad Large Laser, Std 280, 1 JJ, 17 DHS, 416 armor (max except for legs), standard structure.
36 firepower, 64.8 kph, 1.17 heat efficiency

I dropped the endo and XL that I originally had on this mech to fit more DHS. You can chain fire the LL's for a while before overheating (12-15 shots), and snipe over hills and obstacles with the shoulder LL's.

I also had a 3D I liked with 2 PPC in the shoulders, XL280, endo steel, two medium pulse lasers in the arms, and 30 single heatsinks (enough to fire one PPC continuously without building heat).

#6 Aware

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 146 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

Don't run the 4X with quad AC/2s run this. http://www.mechspecs...?290-The-Howler

#7 Pando

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

View PostAware, on 29 November 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

Don't run the 4X with quad AC/2s run this. http://www.mechspecs...?290-The-Howler

I think I like mine better; EVEN THOUGH DE-RAILING subject off 3D builds...

Chassis: Cataphract
Variant: CTF-4X
]Nick-name: Kersplounschked (ker-splou-n-sch-ktt)

Armor: 416, Redirect Forward

HD: 18
RT: 43/17
CT: 68/20
LT: 43/17
RA: 44
LA: 44
RL: 51
LA: 51

Upgrades -
Double Heat Sinks x13 (3 in critical spaces used (9)
Endo-Steel

Engine - XL type 255

Equipment -
x2 UAC/5
x2 AC2
x5 tons UAC/5 ammo
x3 tons AC2 ammo

Edited by Pando, 29 November 2012 - 12:38 PM.

#8 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

I put this up in an earlier post, but the build absolutely rocks: XL325, endo, DHS, 1xGauss rifle, 1xLL, 3xMLs with armor maxed out. It's not fancy, but it's good on heat and just seems to get the job done. Best game I've had with it was just under 1500 damage - which isn't bad for a mech with only direct-fire weaponry.

#9 Clovhis

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:14 AM

View PostBanky, on 29 November 2012 - 01:49 PM, said:

I put this up in an earlier post, but the build absolutely rocks: XL325, endo, DHS, 1xGauss rifle, 1xLL, 3xMLs with armor maxed out. It's not fancy, but it's good on heat and just seems to get the job done. Best game I've had with it was just under 1500 damage - which isn't bad for a mech with only direct-fire weaponry.

I want to know the Layout please.

#10 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Layout is pretty simple. GR and LL in the right arm (so they're synched up for longer shots/poptarting, firing around corners, etc...). ML's in the rest of the energy hardpoints. Stick one JJ in the leg (with some gauss ammo and the ammo for the AMS), and then you max out your armor to 434 and stuff heat sinks in. Should end up with an extra .5 ton to spare. What that means is that my build isn't "optimal" -- cause you could drop to an XL320 and get close to the same performance (and still have room for the spare heat sink), but I kinda designed it around having to eventually make room for the rest of the jump jets... When those get fixed, I'll just switch to AC/10 instead of the GR, and upgrade a second ML to LL.

#11 ApheX

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 154 posts
  • LocationBrighton, UK

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:27 AM

Here's my 3D build. Works very well as a Sniping Mech and works ok in close combat (if your brave).

Chassis: Cataphract
Variant: CTF-4X

Armor: 400

HD: 18
RT: 35/25
CT: 55/33
LT: 35/25
RA: 44
LA: 44
RL: 43
LA: 43

Upgrades -
Double Heat Sinks x8 (one in the engine)

Engine - XL type 280

Equipment -
x1 ER-PPC
x1 Gauss with 4 tons of ammo
x2 medium lasers

#12 Icebound

• Elite Founder
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

My 3D has 4 large lasers and a standard 300 engine. It's pretty sweet.

#13 Pkunk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

I'm having a lot of fun with 2xac/10 and 2xMlas.

Engine is the default engine. Only upgrade is Endo.

#14 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

I love the 3D and have no real interest in the other variants except maybe Ilya for having the boost too. The main one I've used is 4x LLas with 300XL and as many DHS as you can fit (and AMS of course.) Recently I've been running and liking it with gauss in 1 arm, ER PPC on the other and a normal PPC in the torso. It's got a higher alpha and sustained sniping DPS than 2x gauss and less ammo dependancy. It has some obvious downsides but I'm really learning to love it.

#15 Murku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

Been back in my 3D while I save for my last variant (the 2X), and was hoping to build a 4LL themed loadout (with a keep at 450m and mobile mentality) as listed above.

In the mean time i'm been running this way with reasonable success.

350STD, 13DHS, 2LL(torsos), 2MPL(arms), AMS, Endo, 2JJ, 413 Armor (std).

Its a bit of a mixed horse (no killer alpha due to 180/450m effective ranges) but when anyone sees a cata doing 80kph they always seem to try and side-core it. With JJ enhanced turns, no ammo worries and a multi-section weapons load it seems fairly survivable.

I was hoping for either a 300std, 4LL build (to keep survivability thru design) or a 350XL, 4LL, 2MG build (to keep survivability thru speed). Problem with both is neither offers both design AND speed survivability. Is that 36pt >4sec cycle ammoless 450m alpha as worthwhile as I'm thinking?

#16 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

3D has a few good configs... if you're willing to risk the XL engine you can take an AC20/Gauss, 2 Large Lasers, 2 Medium Lasers and an AC2 and make an utter death bot. I think the speed is around 60KPH.

If you want to stay alive a bit longer go with the 275 STD engine and take either 2 Large lasers, 2 Medium Lasers and an AC20 OR an ERPPC, an AC20, 2 Medium Lasers and a TAG laser(this will be better once PPC buffs come in, the TAG is in there now thanks to ECM). With the Jump Jets(2) on it this is a great multi-role Mech able to put out withering fire from all over the map.

#17 JimTheRat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

I run my 3D with stock weapons, DHS with a total of 13 heat sinks, Beagle Active Probe, some armour tweaks, and a little extra ammo.

I have a lot of fun with it, although a lot of people dis on stock weapons.

#18 Nonsense

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:27 AM

My favorite so far:

XL 280 (~69kph with speed tweak)
Endo Steel
14 DHS
416 points standard armor

1 Jump Jet (hacks!)

Beagle Active Probe
Sensor Range Module
Adv. Zoom Module
Target Info Module
(only 3 modules I have atm)

1x Gauss (RT) (3 tons ammo)
3x Large Laser (1 RA, 1 LA, 1 LT)

=Every single crit slot used=

This variant has a 42dmg alpha at 450m while jumping. You can't constantly fire all 3 LLs, but you can simply reserve one LL for opportunity shots. Plus, you have range and JJs which enable you to take more quailty shots instead of quantity. I don't recommend this variant for new players, but for anyone who's confident about their ability to land torso-mounted gauss shots while jumping and shooting lasers, it's amazing.

This is definitely not a brawler build with the XL and Gauss in the torso. But, if you sit next to friendly brawler mechs and use your range and JJs to avoid damage, you can easily force opponents into closing with your shorter range buddies.

I'll have to wait and see what to change after I can test JJ performance when they finally patch it. I'll probably end up dropping the BAP and a little armor for 2 tons. I might end up having to change the torso LL to a ML, but that starts to mess with tonnage vs. critical usage. We'll have to see if 4 JJs is enough or if 5 are necessary.

#19 ImIooImI

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:03 AM

View PostIcebound, on 03 December 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

My 3D has 4 large lasers and a standard 300 engine. It's pretty sweet.

interesting setup )))
But the same Awesome-8Q (or Awesome 8T) have 4 LL and...
1. have better Heat Efficiency 47% vs 30%
2. have better Armor 480 pt vs 352 pt
Awesome has only one minus - speed with the best engine less 58 kph vs 68 kph

imho 3D - not a good platform for lasers )
PS I personally like the setup with 2 Gauss and 4 medium lasers

Edited by ImIooImI, 10 December 2012 - 07:06 AM.

#20 I WildCard I

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:18 AM

I am really liking my CTF 3D. Id say that my favorite variant is still the 2x, but too much of a good thing...well isnt. So ive been experimenting with others. This is what ive come up with for the 3D:

XL 280 Engine 70KPH w/ speed tweak

Endo steel (pretty sure..at work now...)

DHS

2 X Gauss Rifles

5 Tons of ammo

4 medium lasers

1 Jump jet

Advanced zoom

Sniping with the mech is really gratifying. Jumpjetting over a hill and dual gaussing a jenner who thinks hes already made it so safety is by far the most gratifying kill ive experienced. While I reccomend long to medium range fire support you can brawl in this mech. Gauss are so squishy now that you have to know when to disengage. Hope this helps.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users