Nvidia Gt240 > Radeon Hd7770 ? The Heck?

34 replies to this topic

#21 TheFlayedman

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

I was just reading about someone playing Farcry 3 with an ati card and having stuttering problems the same as you. Farcry 3 is the same engine right? Anyways I thought I'd post because he fixed his problem by reverting his card back to stock settings from an overclock.
If yours is already at stock settings then maybe try a mild underclock.

#22 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

View PostTheFlayedman, on 05 December 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

Farcry 3 is the same engine right?

Wrong! The first FarCry was running on the first CryEngine. Then CryTek went to make games for EA, while the game title of FarCry remained with Ubisoft.

Farcry 3 is running on the Dunia2 engine.
MWO is running on CryEngine3.

#23 TheFlayedman

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Ok well its not the same engine but its still worth a try as the best anyone else came up with was what? install windoze 7 or 8?

I remember having a videocard that was factory overclocked that was unstable. Can't for the life of me remember what card it was though could have been a fx5900.

Edited by TheFlayedman, 05 December 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#24 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostTheFlayedman, on 05 December 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

Ok well its not the same engine but its still worth a try as the best anyone else came up with was what? install windoze 7 or 8?

I remember having a videocard that was factory overclocked that was unstable. Can't for the life of me remember what card it was though could have been a fx5900.

Sorry, if my answer to your last post came out wrong. I didn't mean to attack your advise. It is worth a shot.

#25 Click

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

Here's what I think: with that crappy card you had before, you were gpu limited. With the new one the cpu has more gpu to push data to and with the current state of lousy cpu optimisation to worsen it, the bottleneck changed place. So the stuttering problem you're getting is the same many of us get b/c of cpu being over taxed. Hence games fault, not ATI.

Simple way to prove it -
pc w/ old card, cpu usage under 100%, gpu usage at 100%
pc w/ new card, cpu usage at 100%, gpu usage under 100%

Check it. During game ofc. If I'm correct overclock your cpu.

Edited by Click, 05 December 2012 - 05:19 PM.

#26 Skyfaller

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

View PostClick, on 05 December 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

Here's what I think: with that crappy card you had before, you were gpu limited. With the new one the cpu has more gpu to push data to and with the current state of lousy cpu optimisation to worsen it, the bottleneck changed place. So the stuttering problem you're getting is the same many of us get b/c of cpu being over taxed. Hence games fault, not ATI.

Simple way to prove it -
pc w/ old card, cpu usage under 100%, gpu usage at 100%
pc w/ new card, cpu usage at 100%, gpu usage under 100%

Check it. During game ofc. If I'm correct overclock your cpu.

This is a good insight and I checked performance with the 7770 running.

CPU never dipped above 70% usage even mid-combat and GPU wasn't even phased by the game.. the memory, power, temp... everything the card's afterburner monitoring software checks didn't even go above 60% use.

I even looked at both CPU and GPU use when the game actually stuttered... no dips or sudden rises.

Geez this is weird. I'll be upgrading to win 8 before the end of month... if its not that its RMA time.

#27 Click

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

IF the card is at around 60% usage ingame and it stutters then I'm most likely correct even though CPU isn't peaked. Try this fix over here and see what it does for you.

Have you tried any other games since installing the new card? I find it hard you'll get a RMA..

#28 Skyfaller

• 1,332 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

Got the card under a week ago and its newegg. I can RMA it.

#29 TheFlayedman

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:29 AM

If you had it under a week send it back do you have the same distance selling laws in the states as we do in the uk?

#30 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:30 AM

If you're convinced it's the card, RMA it. . keep in mind YOU have to pay shipping back to newegg.
[I don't like it, but that's how newegg rolls]

[. . . LOL newegg rolls!]

I do not think that a different card will fix your issue, i think it's a combination of new card and antiquated O/S, but I have no tangible proof of that. . just a hunch.

Edited by Sen, 06 December 2012 - 05:30 AM.

#31 Sassafras

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostSkyfaller, on 30 November 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

My system:

AMD Phenom II Quad core 955 BE 3.2ghz
16gb DDR3 1333mhz ram (2x8)

Quick question, are you running 64bit WinXP? If not, that huge block of 16 GB of ram isn't doing you any good at all since 32bit WinXP can only address up to 4 GB, which is effectively less than 3 GB since it will allocate the GPU ram into the main memory address space.

As a quick note, I have a Phenom II 955 BE with a Radeon HD7750 on Win7 and the latest non-beta drivers, and it runs fine without any stuttering.

#32 Skyfaller

• 1,332 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

Yes I run WinXp64 pro.

I'll be upgrading the OS before trying the RMA just to see. In any case I have to.. the newer drivers of either AMD and Nvidia are soon to cease coming out for xp.

#33 fxrsniper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

View PostTheFlayedman, on 05 December 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

I was just reading about someone playing Farcry 3 with an ati card and having stuttering problems the same as you. Farcry 3 is the same engine right? Anyways I thought I'd post because he fixed his problem by reverting his card back to stock settings from an overclock.
If yours is already at stock settings then maybe try a mild underclock.

Far Cry 3 is on DUnia 2 which is basically designed by Crytek Employees so in some case it's similar

View PostBLOODREDSINGLE, on 01 December 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

Its not his PSU, the same thing happens to me when mechs enter my view and Im running an GTX580. The engine is horrible... period.

And those graphcs mean nothing in this game.... Crysis 2 is ran off Cryengine 2... This is Cryengine 3.

Crysis 2 is running on CryEngine 3

#34 M E X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 381 posts
  • Locationg-town, Vienna, Austria, EU.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

View PostSkyfaller, on 30 November 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

So.. i'm confused here. I know the HD7770 isnt top of the line but it really is a big upgrade over the GT240 overall. The FPS increase however is not what I expected and the stuttering has me mystified. I've tried every setting change I could think of and it still stutters.

Thoughts?
Have you tried a program like DPC Latency Checker ?

What type of RAM does your HD7770 have ?
I got a HD7750 from msi crippled with 2GB DDR3 video RAM to a memory bandwith of 25.6 GB/s instead of the usual 72 GB/s myself !

MfG, MEX

Edited by M E X, 11 December 2012 - 01:24 AM.

#35 xenoglyph

• 1,480 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

If you upgrade OS (which you should) give Windows 8 a shot. I almost didn't upgrade to Windows 8 because I tried it during beta and thought it was pretty horrible. However there are several start menu replacement apps to choose from that effectively get rid of metro, and it's actually leaner than Windows 7.

I also have yet to find anything that doesn't work properly, and I use some obscure stuff. SandboxIE 64 bit? Works great. VMMap..works great. TrueX64 also works great. That's 3 advanced 64 bit driver based programs that I didn't expect to work for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users